Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 2, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Since it seems Matt's shirt is up for description here it is with the obvious center fold:
Spoiler
Show
I would guess Matt's trivia experience includes making sure it's Schubert and not Schumann and he hit the "bert" to leave no doubt. He was also distinct to name the Raymond Burr character and not the famous ship.

The FJ! category had me try five precalls: Tubman, Roosevelt, Ride, Anthony & Barton

The clue gave me no Temple detour since I picked up on what to do with "fireside." Alex should not be allowed to give any kind of impression while reading the FJ! clue or for a Daily Double. It's not right and not fair.

Matt would now have had time to digest winning five games in a taping day, six games of experience overall, and $166K+ in winnings. Oh, to see a video of the next taping day's pool of players when Matt's wins and money were announced. It's advantage champ all the way on Monday.

I have Matt at 13/13 for DDs, so is that a record?

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:01 pm

barandall800 wrote:It has already been announced that: A) The College Tournament is officially happening in February, and B) The Tournament of Champions is airing next month (and has probably already taped).
It has not yet taped
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty » Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:42 pm

Coryat: $22,800
34 R/5 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: whipsaw, Texas Two-Step, Chris Kyle, Willie Nelson

Rough game for me, with two unfortunate misses (Ironsides for Ironside and Sherlock for Elementary) and two ring-and-oh-craps. Getting all the DDs and FJ! covers a multitude of sins, though. Speaking of FJ!, I agree that the impression by Alex was annoying and cheapens things.

Matt's interview was obviously edited for time, and yet they still left five clues uncovered in the J! round. What the heck? Was there an intermission or a musical guest I missed?
Sprinkles are for winners.

barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:37 am

Vermonter wrote:
barandall800 wrote:It has already been announced that: A) The College Tournament is officially happening in February, and B) The Tournament of Champions is airing next month (and has probably already taped).
It has not yet taped
Duly noted.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:38 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Matt's interview was obviously edited for time, and yet they still left five clues uncovered in the J! round. What the heck? Was there an intermission or a musical guest I missed?
There was also an edit between the end of Tony's story and Alex moving over to Matt's lecturn.
Lindsay's story may have went a little long, even though it didn't seem to because it was interesting.
Last edited by Category 13 on Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:42 am, edited 1 time in total.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Sat Oct 03, 2015 12:40 am

MTGcollegestudent wrote:
KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Matt Jackson ... came within a correct response or two yesterday of being the first champion ever to win his first six regular season games by runaway. ..
You're right, except...one of his games was not a runaway. Yesterday was that game.
OK. He's right, except he's right? I thought you hadn't made any sense previously.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:18 am

nightreign wrote:I'm totally sold on Matt now. He's insanely impressive, and it's fun to watch him and see what he does on the DDs. I can't wait for the ToC. (Also, he's only 23? I thought he was a lot older.)
Some people just look a lot older than they are.

Here's a game for you to see how well you are at judging age. I've mentioned before one of my favourite YouTube channels, Vsauce (an educational science channel). Pick a video at random and tell me how old you think the host, Michael Stevens, is.

Got a guess?
Spoiler
Show
He was born January 23, 1986, making him 29 years old as of this writing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:49 am

23? Wow. I'm almost 23 and there's no way I could do as well as he's doing. I don't even remember the last FJ I got right. I almost got Cordelia but I couldn't think of it.

worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster » Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:50 am

floridagator wrote:Barack is a narcissist who enjoys hearing himself talk. After the massacre, the media are slobbering all over him.
Yeah, how dare our President want to address the nation when we could be solving Jeopardy questions about the wife of some dude who did fireside chats.

stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:33 am

So, Matt may be excellent at quizbowl, but he's no Ken Jennings, when it comes to Jeopardy! He's missing way too many easy clues, and probably not as fast on the buzzer. Oh well.

Why can't quizbowl be a game that adults would pay to play, for the chance to earn cash prizes, etc.? Instead of cribbage or bridge club, go to quizbowl club, and earn masterpoints, etc. I guess bar trivia is something like that, but the games are not uniform, too much trash, and there is no centralized national stat tracker for that sort of thing. Maybe O'Brien's bar trivia is the closest thing they have.

stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:35 am

Matt also strikes me as the kind of person you would not normally want to put on television.

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:54 am

Tom Clark wrote:I've never been a fan of Trebek, and I'm even less of one today. When I saw the FJ clue, I thought of Shirley Temple -- but Trebek decided the world needed to hear him imitate the woman the clue referred to, and as poor as his imitation was, I knew it was meant to be Eleanor Roosevelt, and not Shirley Temple. So he gave it away!

Although, of course, he didn't give it away to Matt, of all people, who otherwise is one of the most amazing contestants I've ever seen. I guess he never heard Eleanor Roosevelt talk.

But I can't stand it when Trebek uses accents -- today he applied his alleged German accent to "kaput" -- or imitations, and I sure do wish he'd stop it already. But you know what? He won't.
And you'll NEVER WATCH AGAIN!!!!111!!!?
I hope he uses an accent in every episode from now on.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:13 am

I lost the coin flip on Leningrad or Stalingrad.

I haven't watched a new episode of The Simpsons in probably 7 years, but I vaguely remembered hearing about the lego episode. The "excellent" TOM wasn't much help without any context.

FJ was an instant get from "fireside."

I remember that after one of David Madden's regular games there were comments on the board about him wearing a shirt that was obviously just taken out of the packaging. I guess that not even the best players anticipate becoming superchampions.

After watching this game I have to say that Matt has done okay in the general knowledge and pop culture categories. He won't be tops in the ToC (whichever one he plays in) in those categories, but he'll hold his own.

Incidentally, Brad Rutter was 23 when he won his ToC. I believe that David Madden was also 23 when he went on his regular run.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Sat Oct 03, 2015 10:43 am

corvo wrote:
KenJenningsFan74 wrote:Matt Jackson has played superbly through six games. He came within a correct response or two yesterday of being the first champion ever to win his first six regular season games by runaway. There are others who I think match up favorably against him for the Tournament of Champions, but it would be tough to bet against Matt taking the $250,000 top prize at this point. I'm pulling for him to extend his winning streak at least another few games.
I'd agree.

But his surprising FJ answer just gave me pause, lol.
Amen. I know different people know different stuff. But to get Rijksmuseum and conflate Eleanor Roosevelt/Shirley Temple Black does not compute to me. His answer seemed like a chink in his armor, although of course no one can dispute that his performance has been pretty spectacular.

Let alone the ToC, I'm curious to see how many games he can win and how far he can go up the list of regular season winners (now at #15 with a bullet). Again, just wow.

clprez

Post by clprez » Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:36 pm

When I started to read the FJ! clue, I first saw they were talking about a woman's role, and started to go for Shirley Temple because she was an actress, but as Alex started talking in her accent, and the word fireside came up, I immediately thought of Elenanor Roosevelt.

willwoodlen
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by willwoodlen » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:02 pm

StevenH wrote:I lost the coin flip on Leningrad or Stalingrad.

I haven't watched a new episode of The Simpsons in probably 7 years, but I vaguely remembered hearing about the lego episode. The "excellent" TOM wasn't much help without any context.

FJ was an instant get from "fireside."

I remember that after one of David Madden's regular games there were comments on the board about him wearing a shirt that was obviously just taken out of the packaging. I guess that not even the best players anticipate becoming superchampions.

After watching this game I have to say that Matt has done okay in the general knowledge and pop culture categories. He won't be tops in the ToC (whichever one he plays in) in those categories, but he'll hold his own.

Incidentally, Brad Rutter was 23 when he won his ToC. I believe that David Madden was also 23 when he went on his regular run.

This whole new shirt/anticipation question brings up something I've wondered about: whether long-time champions are really surprised about how well they do. Or even winners of 2 or more games. Obviously no one goes on the show expecting to bomb, but do most contestants have an honest sense of how good they're going to be? Perhaps this has come up on an earlier board and I missed it.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:04 pm

Still unanswered:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT The Simpsons on TV for $200, or London at $400? Just "pick a random capital"?
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:34 pm

Matt owned it on the first board too this time. The Playbill story and Ironside get made me realize that while he still doesn't strike me as the kind of player who'd automatically dominate a TRASH tournament, he's not necessarily weaker in that skill than an average contestant is. Agree that he's not quite Ken Jennings... YET. Ken had, what, 7-8 years on Matt when he started? From a purely J! strategy wonk perspective, given his young age, I wish Matt had allowed himself another year or two more for training in his weak spots before he tried out for J! - we might very well have seen an even higher level of dominance from his play, incredible as that sounds.

Like Tony, I had "Tennessee Waltz" for Texas Two-Step.

I think Matt and I agonized over the "Copyright Act" DD for the same reasons - "It can't be THAT simple, can it? Maybe so..."

Alex's impressions amuse me greatly, but c'mon, don't do an Eleanor Roosevelt impression for a FJ about Eleanor Roosevelt.

I was hoping one of the players would take the opportunity to do the "King Tut" dance, which was straight-up presented to them on a silver platter. PFFT.

Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob » Sat Oct 03, 2015 3:44 pm

I can forgive the Shirley Temple wrong answer because - wasn't the TOM a bit of a fake? I of course do not mean that it was a fake quote, but I am very uncertain whether Mrs. Roosevelt was really making a deliberate allusion to the fireside chats. I doubt if she was trying to insult (or at least speak somewhat condescendingly towards) the people who listened intently to her husband's radio addresses. The quotation made sense on its own terms and made no reference to the radio. Does anyone have any idea of the original context?

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Sat Oct 03, 2015 4:04 pm

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: I was hoping one of the players would take the opportunity to do the "King Tut" dance, which was straight-up presented to them on a silver platter. PFFT.
Geez what a youtube moment it would have been had you answered it during your reign!