Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-07-15) [Spoilers]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-07-15) [Spoilers]

Post by MarkBarrett »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
DUBIOUS MILESTONES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
When Kobe Bryant broke the record for most missed field goals in a career in 2014, he broke this Celtic's mark

Ray Nhan: 1500-1000=500
Dave Muller: 2250+751=3001
Ron Freshour: 7750-0=7750 (1x champ - $5000)

Correct response:
Spoiler
John Havlicek (Ray and Dave had Larry Bird.)
Scoreboard puzzle:
Spoiler
19-76
10-00
Hint 1:
Spoiler
The Young & the Restless
Hint 2:
Spoiler
Montreal
Hint 3:
Spoiler
Romania
Scoreboard answer:
Spoiler
Nadia Comaneci was the first gymnast to score a perfect 10. Nellie Kim also did it at the same Olympics.
Daily Doubles:
Dave: 1250-1250 & 4250+2000
Ray: 2750-750

Dave twice blew his chance to win. He did not know Bo Kimble as Loyola Marymount's top scorer after Hank Gathers died and then he only bet 2000 when he got the DD about Verlander throwing a no-hitter in 2007.

The FJ! clue had me go with Havlicek and if it turned out to be Larry Bird, Bill Russell, Dave Cowens, Jo Jo White, Robert Parrish or Kevin McHale then so be it. I felt like Bird was too good to have done it, the big men had better percentages with their closer shots and Hondo was the guy with the team forever.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Re: Sports Jeopardy! EP. 3 (10-07-15) [Spoilers]

Post by Rackme32 »

Tough show for me...
Spoiler
The scoreboard, I had to Google, then headslap... I remember all those 10's well. Nadia fired up seven of 'em during those Games, and Nellie Kim one. Within a couple years, all the world-class gymnasts were getting 10's on occasion. Sometime after that, they changed the difficulty ratings for the various moves by quite a bit.
The baseball "day jobs" round was fun... One of the stand-n-stares was Home Run Baker, which I nailed. Otherwise...

I didn't get many correct, though. Most of the categories just, well, lost me.

I had about the same chance as I would in a footrace against Usain Bolt on the hockey goaltenders, but I did like the nickname "Great Wall of Finland" one of the keepers had... That's a whole lot better than most of the nicknames they have come up with recently, such as "L.T." or "A.I."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had Bird and spent most of the time wondering why Dan mentioned his name during the interview segment. It might have been wise to avoid Bird's name at all to avoid subliminally leading people down the wrong path, though it did not matter in the end.

With all the misses and TS clues (along with my video feed freezing up several times) it was a bleah game to watch.

Scoreboard was an instaget.

While the category was "Dubious Milestones", having a record like that isn't a bad thing. Any career record for something negative (like strikeouts or interceptions) is likely to be held by a HOFer or someone just one level down as you can't achieve a mark like that without having a very long career.
sarisson

Post by sarisson »

This was the first (and I'm sure it will be the only) time I exceeded the combined Coryat on Sports Jeopardy. One of the triple stumpers was a LearnedLeague World Series 1DS answer! In addition to Baker, I picked up Wainwright, Patriots (DD), Boston Marathon, and Rickey in the trash. I was 0/4 in two of the categories, though. I'll have to study up on college basketball (or college sports in general) and hockey if I want to pass the test next year.
19,250 (23 R/ 0 W). FJ: :(
Hoping for a third lap
DadofTwins

Post by DadofTwins »

Wow was this one hard to watch.

Ron puts his buzzer down and clams his way into a lock, and with a sub-10K score at that.

With that level of difficulty (easier-than-average SJ, average-at-best DJ) scores need to be a lot better than that. After that performance, I'm surprised one of these three got FJ. Scoreboard puzzle was easy, though.

Also, has anybody else had problems with balky audio or video lag?
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

Just throwing this question out to the peanut gallery. Are first names required for responses in Sports Jeopardy! or is the last name only OK? (e.g. "Montana" or "Joe Montana")
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Ryno wrote:Just throwing this question out to the peanut gallery. Are first names required for responses in Sports Jeopardy! or is the last name only OK? (e.g. "Montana" or "Joe Montana")
I would assume last names are fine (provided it is clear who you mean) but there seem to be an awful lot of pauses and cuts with Dan saying "We'll take that" whenever someone gives just a last name.
heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Post by heelsrule1988 »

This game was U-G-L-Y... I've never picked up more Trash in my life. Yikes.

10/7: 20,250 (FJ: :()
TerrHeel
Sports Jeopardy! Champion

Post by TerrHeel »

Last name is fine, as long as it's not something like Smith or Jones that would require you to be more specific. I know one contest said Lewis when they were looking for Lennox Lewis in this past episode, but they gave you the guy's initials, so you had to have both. I said Cantor and got credit for Andres Cantor on my episode.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

TerrHeel wrote:Last name is fine, as long as it's not something like Smith or Jones that would require you to be more specific. I know one contest said Lewis when they were looking for Lennox Lewis in this past episode, but they gave you the guy's initials, so you had to have both. I said Cantor and got credit for Andres Cantor on my episode.
Thanks. I thought about that watching the last few games. Just watching I'll remember the last name of an old athlete, but not the first name. It does seem like the contestants usually give the first names.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool