Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7143, 2015-10-07

Matt Jackson game 9.

CONTESTANTS
Susan Thurman, a scholarship program director from Tucker, Georgia
Alison Burke, a tutor from Brooklyn, New York
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 8-day cash winnings total $230,610)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I'm going to go out on a limb to start today's program by speaking for the Jeopardy! champions who are waiting in the wings, eagerly awaiting to play in the Tournament of Champions in about four weeks from now. They are all big fans, I know, of Matt. They want him to keep winning every game for the next four weeks, because if he does that, he is no longer eligible for this year's Tournament of Champions. He will become eligible for next year's tournament. They're not sure they want to play against him. Alison and Susan, you are playing against him. Do your best. See if you can knock him off. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round features these categories today...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE PRESIDENT WHO... (4/5)
ALBUM CUTS (2/5)
I PREDICT YOU'RE WRONG (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ART OF DANCE (1/4)
FALL HOLIDAYS & OBSERVANCES (5/5)
ON "FIRE" (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 12 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Alison: 5 R, 0 W
Susan: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 8
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $6,200

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 1st clue. Matt had no money, Alison was scoreless, and Susan had nothing in the bank. Matt wagered $1,000.

I PREDICT YOU'RE WRONG $600: This man, in 1860:
"I see no good reason why the views given in this volume should shock... religious feelings"
(Alex: You are correct. Why am I not surprised?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $3,600
Alison: $1,000
Susan: $600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Susan Thurman is a scholarship program director who is also a big fan of a television series that is no longer on the air.

Susan: Mad Men, sadly.

Susan: Mad Men. What was it about that series that you loved?

Susan: Well, one thing I loved about it was from my own generation, I was about--

Alex: Late '50s, early '60s.

Susan: I was about the same age as the daughter in the show. And so I could relate to the social and cultural changes that are going on. And also, the clothes. I would see her in a dress and I'd say, "That was my dress."

Alex: Wow. So, great memories for you.

Susan: Right, that's true.

Alex: Terrific.

Alex: Alison Burke is a tutor from Brooklyn, New York. Like millions of other Americans this past summer, you were a big fan of the World Cup women's soccer games.

Alison: Yeah.

Alex: I was watching on television. You did me one better.

Alison: Yeah, I was in Canada in the stands. Uh, my best friend and I, Sarah, we drove from Chicago to Vancouver to catch it.

Alex: Not a bad place to spend time, is it?

Alison: [Chuckles] Lovely.

Alex: All right.

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion. He's a paralegal from Washington, D.C. When did you decide that maybe it was time to try out for our program?

Matt: Well, I had been doing the college tests for a few years. Actually, my freshman year of college, a close friend of mine got to second place in the college tournament.

Alex: Wow.

Matt: And he was the one who encouraged me--"You have to do this, you have to do this, man," and so...

Alex: A-ha. Okay.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THE PRESIDENT WHO... $600: wrote the autobiography "A Time to Heal"

ALBUM CUTS $600: Taylor Swift:
"Sparks Fly" &
"Mine"

ALBUM CUTS $800: Eagles:
"New Kid In Town" &
"The Last Resort"

ALBUM CUTS $1000: The White Stripes:
"Seven Nation Army" &
"You've Got Her In Your Pocket"

ON "FIRE" $1000: Two-word name for the silica stone seen here, often used for gems

THE ART OF DANCE $1000: Partly from the Latin for "between", it's a style of dance that depicts an emotion

THE ART OF DANCE $800: The Dance of the 4 Swans may be the best-known dance for 4, or in French, this type of dance
(Matt: What is a pas de deux?)
(Susan: What is a quadrille?)
(Alex: It's four, not two. Not pas de deux, but [*].)

THE ART OF DANCE $400: Coconut Creek, Florida boasts the Goldcoast this space for the dancing of the same name, with a 60' x 40' oak floor
(Alex: And that would be [*] dancing.)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $6,600
Alison: $2,200
Susan: $1,600

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round

rjaguar3
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by rjaguar3 »

The last DD wager was awful. Why bother showing up if you're not going to risk everything if you need to be right to have a chance?

EDIT: For context, scores were (I recall)
Matt 16995
Alison 7400
Susan 2400
with five $400 clues left and an indication that there was not much time left.

To be in contention, Alison needs to either (1) bet big and get the DD right or (2) bet small, play the DD (right or wrong), and then beat an 8-day champion to most of the $400 clues, assuming that all of them get revealed (a highly unlikely possibility).

Alison wagered $2,000 and got it right. This put her in second-place with Matt crushing her, but if she were wrong, she would be completely out of contention. The wager makes no sense. Wagering everything makes the scores, ceteris paribus, 17395-14800-2400, putting Alison in a 4/5 situation and giving her additional chances to win Final (either on a double stumper or if Matt chooses not to cover).

scrutinizer
Contributor

Post by scrutinizer »

Unless she had already conceded the game to Matt, and was playing for second place. Me, I would have tossed in all on the table for the DD.

Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

These are the type of boards and the kind of Daily Double reveal pattern that will probably lead to Matt's eventually downfall. Today he got lucky that his two opponents didn't have the wherewithal to take advantage of it.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Congrats to Matt on another win, but yikes, this was the closest one yet. I hope he gets his more dominant groove back tomorrow.

And now I'm wondering which College player it was specifically that told Matt to try out?

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

There was confusion over Matt's DD wager. When he said five, Alex interpreted it as $5000 and said his score was now $8000-something, but the scorekeeper reduced Matt's score by only $5. Nothing verbal was said about that in the remainder of the program. Obviously the scorekeeper interpreted a wager of "five" as $5. It was an easy DD too! I'm surprised Matt didn't know that, or couldn't figure it out from the clue. But then, my experience with college bowl/quiz bowl contestants is they're memorizers and are left flat-footed when asked to FIGURE OUT something, even very simple things.

There were lots of TS today!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Controversial superchamp bets 5 bucks on a sports daily double once again. At least Matt gave it a bad guess. Dumb clue in a mostly dumb category though.

That FJ was the biggest cupcake of the season so far IMO. Susan, arrrrghhhhh, just read the clue right.

Matt is mortal. But who's gonna prove it?

OntarioQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by OntarioQuizzer »

floridagator wrote:There was confusion over Matt's DD wager. When he said five, Alex interpreted it as $5000 and said his score was now $8000-something,
No; Alex said Matt's *lead* was $8,000-something, not his *total*.
Andy Saunders
Moderator, #JeopardyLivePanel
Host, Complete The List
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Site Admin - The Jeopardy! Fan

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

1981 + adventurous character (whose outfit would be worth mentioning)? Oh J! writers, it's not my birthday yet.

I hope no one hurt themselves laughing while they flailed away at that Iceland clue.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Matt had a tougher time today than in his previous games, but he did win his ninth game, so congrats to him. This game had loads of triple stumpers. I had 36 correct responses including nine (!) triple stumpers: "Speak Now", "Hotel California", "Elephant", ballroom, perch, Earl, The Count, Iceland, and Cannes. (In the Album Cuts category when Alex mentioned Santana, I was hoping the clue would be about their album that contains "Black Magic Woman" and "Oye Como Va".) Instaget FJ.

brick

Post by brick »

I actually had time during the think music to talk someone else through to the correct answer. And yes, that DD wager was a bummer.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

xxaaaxx wrote:1981 + adventurous character (whose outfit would be worth mentioning)? Oh J! writers, it's not my birthday yet.

I hope no one hurt themselves laughing while they flailed away at that Iceland clue.
Oh cripes, how did I forget to make a super super harsh comment about that? Norway, Lithuania, Norway. That was ever worse then that South American country triple neg last year.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

The Montefusco DD was an example of a clue where Matt's age is a liability. While the correct response could have been sussed out from the clue itself, it's probably hard to make the leap from "Montefusco" to "Monte Cristo" in 15 seconds or whatever the time is that you're alotted for a DD. And "the Count's" sobriquet is not the type of thing you're likely to pick up by studying trivia lists or taking sporcle quizzes, etc. It's a big help to just be of a certain age, and to remember Montefusco and his nickname.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

Was worried a little for Matt with a pop culture final, but that question was an easy lob down the middle.

Definitely some unimpressive wagering today...

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

A Raiders of the Lost Ark "premake" trailer as if it were made in 1951. One of the movies used is Secret of the Incas.

Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Matt on the 9th win!

I really liked this board, except for the "Dance" category that came up in the J! round.

I have never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, but even I wasn't missing that FJ. That's not the FJ clue that you want to see when you are in second or third place.

Susan looked like she could have been Donna Vogel's twin.

The person who said that this is the type of board that could lead to Matt's downfall was 100% correct. A harder movie FJ easily could have been his undoing here. This is the first board that I've seen in Matt's run that wasn't quiz bowl player friendly (though the clue that wanted the author of Betrayed by Rita Hayworth was a nice quiz bowl chestnut that I was surprised to see come up).

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

36R, instaget FJ & 9 LT: Ford (A Time To Heal); Speak Now (Taylor Swift); Hotel CA (Eagles); Pas de Quatre; perch; Bobby Knight; Iceland (instaget flag, LOL!); Big "D" (in lieu of a 4-ltr); Cannes.

Not a runaway. Possible win from the 4th? Odd boards... mixing it up they are! :shock:

5 + 3 fingers. He appears on Good Morning Washington on ABC 7 in the DC metro area @7AM Thursday. To reveal his 'secrets of success.' When I saw that I wondered if she would beat him. Nope.
The wife and I both wondering why the hoopla when Julia Collins won 20 games and never had TV ads and media interviews. Hmmmm... :roll:
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Matt on the 9th win!

I really liked this board, except for the "Dance" category that came up in the J! round.

I have never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies, but even I wasn't missing that FJ. That's not the FJ clue that you want to see when you are in second or third place.

Susan looked like she could have been Donna Vogel's twin.

The person who said that this is the type of board that could lead to Matt's downfall was 100% correct. A harder movie FJ easily could have been his undoing here. This is the first board that I've seen in Matt's run that wasn't quiz bowl player friendly (though the clue that wanted the author of Betrayed by Rita Hayworth was a nice quiz bowl chestnut that I was surprised to see come up).
A harder movie FJ could have been his undoing, but likely only in a parallel universe where Alison had wagered properly on her DD. If the clue was difficult enough that Matt missed it, then based on the usual correlations of FJ results, Alison likely would have missed it too (unless she had some special cinematic expertise, or a Slumdog Millionaire moment on the clue) -- and in the crush situation that she chose to enter FJ with, she still would have lost.

StevenH, you've never seen any of the Indiana Jones movies? Wait, what? (Then again, until this week, I had never seen The Godfather: Part II).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

deborah64
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by deborah64 »

I really wish Allison had properly wagered the DD. I find Matt rather obnoxious and would like to see him ousted as I find his rudeness very distracting.