Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MTGcollegestudent
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:04 am

JayK33 wrote:Even if he had been deducted $5,000, he'd still have won, I believe. He would have had the lead heading in anyway.
Or if Allyson decided to go betting more. That too, would have had Matt still continuing on. Yet, after 9 of his wins, it kept me questioning if he was trying to win a lot more money. If you think about it, his 2nd, 4th, 6th, and 8th games were kind of a rhythm. One attempt out of four was it that he got $40,000. It still has had me thinking, if he didn't bet so much during those games, would it have made it more easier for him to get more money this way?

On that note, Matt Jackson strikes again, winning once more. But...THIS by far was his lowest winning game. Also, this was the 2nd time that his game was not made a runaway. It questions if he just slightly got exposed this time or if the clues were even more harder in difficulty for him.

I'm hoping he can get back his rhythm tomorrow and bounce back...because that was nearly WAY too close to call.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:22 am

deborah64 wrote:I really wish Allison had properly wagered the DD. I find Matt rather obnoxious and would like to see him ousted as I find his rudeness very distracting.
First post = insulting the current champion for no good reason, without giving reasonable examples to state your point ... Good start, I'm sure you'll be a great member here. :|

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 am

floridagator wrote:There was confusion over Matt's DD wager. When he said five, Alex interpreted it as $5000 and said his score was now $8000-something, but the scorekeeper reduced Matt's score by only $5. Nothing verbal was said about that in the remainder of the program. Obviously the scorekeeper interpreted a wager of "five" as $5. It was an easy DD too! I'm surprised Matt didn't know that, or couldn't figure it out from the clue. But then, my experience with college bowl/quiz bowl contestants is they're memorizers and are left flat-footed when asked to FIGURE OUT something, even very simple things.

There were lots of TS today!
The one with TWO contestants giving the same incorrect response probably should have just been thrown out, simply because that's really stupid when it happens.

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:15 am

OntarioQuizzer wrote:
floridagator wrote:There was confusion over Matt's DD wager. When he said five, Alex interpreted it as $5000 and said his score was now $8000-something,
No; Alex said Matt's *lead* was $8,000-something, not his *total*.
I had to go back and watch twice to confirm what Alex said. The one time in 32 seasons he gives the 'lead' instead of 'total', and look what happens!

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:16 am

xxaaaxx wrote:1981 + adventurous character (whose outfit would be worth mentioning)? Oh J! writers, it's not my birthday yet.

I hope no one hurt themselves laughing while they flailed away at that Iceland clue.
I'm afraid Susan's attention-span issues in that clue and on FJ! were amusing only to her.

Onairb

Post by Onairb » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:20 am

hbomb1947 wrote:The Montefusco DD was an example of a clue where Matt's age is a liability. While the correct response could have been sussed out from the clue itself, it's probably hard to make the leap from "Montefusco" to "Monte Cristo" in 15 seconds or whatever the time is that you're alotted for a DD. And "the Count's" sobriquet is not the type of thing you're likely to pick up by studying trivia lists or taking sporcle quizzes, etc. It's a big help to just be of a certain age, and to remember Montefusco and his nickname.
You almost have to be a Giants fan/Bay Area resident 'of a certain age' to get that clue. (Yes, I know he ended up with the Yankees, but no Yankeee fan ever wants to admit that!) Given the cruddy performance on sports clues in general by most contestants in the last few years, this one should have been done on Sports Jeopardy!...or perhaps during the first couple of seasons.

harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:59 am

Onairb wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:The Montefusco DD was an example of a clue where Matt's age is a liability. While the correct response could have been sussed out from the clue itself, it's probably hard to make the leap from "Montefusco" to "Monte Cristo" in 15 seconds or whatever the time is that you're alotted for a DD. And "the Count's" sobriquet is not the type of thing you're likely to pick up by studying trivia lists or taking sporcle quizzes, etc. It's a big help to just be of a certain age, and to remember Montefusco and his nickname.
You almost have to be a Giants fan/Bay Area resident 'of a certain age' to get that clue. (Yes, I know he ended up with the Yankees, but no Yankeee fan ever wants to admit that!) Given the cruddy performance on sports clues in general by most contestants in the last few years, this one should have been done on Sports Jeopardy!...or perhaps during the first couple of seasons.
Much agreed, "Count" Montefusco would not show up on even an extensive baseball pavlov.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 6:21 am

From today's Washington Post:

Matt Jackson ... Son of a Federal Judge

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:27 am

alietr wrote:From today's Washington Post:

"The judge said she’d prefer to keep the focus on her son, who is aiming to keep his streak alive on Wednesday night’s “tournament of champions” show."

:roll:

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:44 am

OSXpert wrote:
alietr wrote:From today's Washington Post:

"The judge said she’d prefer to keep the focus on her son, who is aiming to keep his streak alive on Wednesday night’s “tournament of champions” show."

:roll:
Is something a catchphrase if you say it one time?

JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill » Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:59 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote: LT: Hotel California, Elephant, interpretive, ballroom, Earl, Bobby Knight, Duke Snider, The Count (of Montefusco) (DD)

I too was surprised by that DD miss by Matt. Titles of nobility + literary + Montefusco = pretty easy, whether you've heard of the player in question or not. A sports fan with some wagering chutzpah would've beaten him tonight. Unfortunately, Whitey Herzerg was nowhere to be found.
I agree with Matty. I got The Count from the clue with no prior knowledge of the player. I got Bobby Knight from watching college basketball in the 1980's. :)

On the DD bet, she had already done well in the category, but I understand her hesitancy to go all in. It probably feels like real money, and she may not be the gambling type. I need to change my mindset, should I ever get The Call. What I realized at TCONA was that I am so lousy on the buzzer that I have to capitalize on every opportunity to stay in the game. Or I could work on being less lousy...

I don't get the judge's reference to the Tournament of Champions on Wednesday night?

Also, it would bum me out, were I to compete against Matt, that Alex keeps implying that Matt will roll like a freight train over the competitors at the start of every show.

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:06 am

The ToC will air in about a month. When is it taping? If it's taping now (or soon), that could be a mental slip that might have let the cat out of the bag.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:12 am

Onairb wrote:You almost have to be a Giants fan/Bay Area resident 'of a certain age' to get that clue. (Yes, I know he ended up with the Yankees, but no Yankeee fan ever wants to admit that!) Given the cruddy performance on sports clues in general by most contestants in the last few years, this one should have been done on Sports Jeopardy!...or perhaps during the first couple of seasons.
Yankee fan, knew he was a problem child here, knew the nickname before he was even in pinstripes. Then again, 70s/80s baseball nicknames is a wheelhouse for me; The Penguin, Puff and The Human Rain Delay all day long. :D

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:13 am

I replayed the DD wager a few times. Sounds to be like he said

5 , 5 bucks

Alex was talking over the clarification so only about 90% certain. I can't imagine there would be that kind of error in the show that made it threw standards and practices review and on the air. $5 makes sense given the TSsin the category.

John Boy

Post by John Boy » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:40 am

grindcore wrote:
xxaaaxx wrote:1981 + adventurous character (whose outfit would be worth mentioning)? Oh J! writers, it's not my birthday yet.

I hope no one hurt themselves laughing while they flailed away at that Iceland clue.
Oh cripes, how did I forget to make a super super harsh comment about that? Norway, Lithuania, Norway. That was ever worse then that South American country triple neg last year.
I thought I just IMAGINED that Susan ventured a guess (Norway) that had already been ruled wrong. I've often read that strange things happen to people's brains under the bright lights, but that was quite a brain fart.

I for one thought you wouldn't have to know much about sports at all on that last DD. The category name limited the number of possible correct responses to a small number (under 10?) and they had already used earl, knight, and duke. "The count of Montefusco" just seems like such a natural word-play. Oh well.

For me, Lach Trash on interpretive dance, earl, knight, duke, Iceland, Cannes (seriously? a French resort on the Mediterranean and they gold you it wasn't Nice?)

And yeah, Indy was a real softball.

Several of Matt's gets were way over my head. He seems to have an impressive depth of knowledge. Double-digit wins seems way within his grasp, after which....I'm very curious to see how long this goes on.

Too bad for Alison, one of a few of Matt's road-kill who might have made nice runs of their own if not for the bad luck to play their only game against him.

astrohip
Contributor

Post by astrohip » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am

Part of the confusion on that DD wager (for me, at least) is the captions said "$5,000". I was stunned, as he had missed every clue in that category so far, and couldn't believe he'd wager that much, especially on a bottom row clue. Then when Alex mentioned the $8395 figure, and the scoreboard left him in the $13,000's, I couldn't believe Jeopardy was making a mistake of that magnitude. I kept thinking they would revisit it, and have to start the game over!?!?

Finally, when it was all over, I rewound the TiVo, and realized that (1) he bet $5, not $5,000, and (2) Alex said how much his LEAD was, not how much he had left. Very confusing, and for us caption watchers, very wrong.

So it's easy to see how many of us were befuddled.

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:44 am

From the man himself:
https://www.facebook.com/MattJacksonJeo ... 7945953856
A note to resolve some apparent confusion: I intended to wager five dollars (one Abe Lincoln) on my second Daily Double of the game today -- my exact words were "Five, please, Alex" -- and that is the wager the judges accepted. $5 is the minimum required wager on a Daily Double.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr » Thu Oct 08, 2015 9:56 am

He was on NewsChannel 8 in DC this morning. When I come across a link, I'll post it (I have not seen it yet).

Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:00 am

alietr wrote:He was on NewsChannel 8 in DC this morning. When I come across a link, I'll post it (I have not seen it yet).
If you followed me on twitter you would have seen it: http://wjla.com/news/videos/interview-w ... tt-jackson

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Thu Oct 08, 2015 10:10 am

harrumph wrote:
Onairb wrote:
Much agreed, "Count" Montefusco would not show up on even an extensive baseball pavlov.
Please .. Montefusco was a gimme and I'm neither a Giants fan or Bay Area resident.