Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Re: Wednesday, October 7, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by patkav »

ElendilPickle wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
alietr wrote:From today's Washington Post:

Matt Jackson ... Son of a Federal Judge
"The judge said she’d prefer to keep the focus on her son, who is aiming to keep his streak alive on Wednesday night’s “tournament of champions” show."

:roll:
The article has been changed to remove the ToC reference.
Hmmm. Mistake of ignorance, or spoiler?

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

patkav wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
OSXpert wrote:

"The judge said she’d prefer to keep the focus on her son, who is aiming to keep his streak alive on Wednesday night’s “tournament of champions” show."

:roll:
The article has been changed to remove the ToC reference.
Hmmm. Mistake of ignorance, or spoiler?
Smacks of ignorance rather than spoilers to me. We all know Matt is going to participate in a ToC, whether it's this year or next, and that was probably a big subject. Someone may have just written a silly thing. Black Sabbath could still be referred to as the "Master of Reality" band even if the previous discussion was all about their first two records. Y'know?

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I have never been to California and the Count was an instaget. I think anyone who was a baseball fan (particularly the NL) in the 1970s would know him. I grew up a Braves fan and he even played for them for one season.

Hurone

Post by Hurone »

Bamaman wrote:I have never been to California and the Count was an instaget. I think anyone who was a baseball fan (particularly the NL) in the 1970s would know him. I grew up a Braves fan and he even played for them for one season.
As others have said, Matt knows some current sports but sports history isn't his forte. I'm pretty sure he's never heard of Montefusco before (I certainly haven't, I'm about the same age as him). It could have been teased out of the clue, but definitely wasn't easy with no prior knowledge of 1970s MLB whatsoever.

teapot37
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by teapot37 »

alietr wrote:
dlbookman wrote:
Rafferty Barnes wrote:If you followed me on twitter
What's your handle?
Here is my handle. And here is my spout.
Teapot.jpg
You rang?
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

CailinGaoilge wrote:
grindcore wrote: That FJ was the biggest cupcake of the season so far IMO. Susan, arrrrghhhhh, just read the clue right
She did read it correctly. When Alex read her answer, she said she'd tried but couldn't remember the character's name.

BTW, hi :) Been lurking here and enjoying the discussions since Jennifer's time as champion - am a big fan!

And a question: I've looked, but can't find one. Is there a JBoard acronym index anywhere? I've figured out many, but TOM still defeats me...
*waves* Welcome to the board, CailinGaoilge! Isn't it fun to finally decloak?

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
CailinGaoilge wrote:
grindcore wrote: That FJ was the biggest cupcake of the season so far IMO. Susan, arrrrghhhhh, just read the clue right
She did read it correctly. When Alex read her answer, she said she'd tried but couldn't remember the character's name.

BTW, hi :) Been lurking here and enjoying the discussions since Jennifer's time as champion - am a big fan!

And a question: I've looked, but can't find one. Is there a JBoard acronym index anywhere? I've figured out many, but TOM still defeats me...
*waves* Welcome to the board, CailinGaoilge! Isn't it fun to finally decloak?
As long as they're not Romulans.

Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

hbomb1947 wrote:The Montefusco DD was an example of a clue where Matt's age is a liability. While the correct response could have been sussed out from the clue itself, it's probably hard to make the leap from "Montefusco" to "Monte Cristo" in 15 seconds or whatever the time is that you're alotted for a DD.
I don't know, they're phonetically similar enough that to me it was immediately obvious.

The problem is that I was wavering on whether the correct response was "Count of Montefusco" or "Count of Monte Cristo," when it turns out they just wanted "Count."

As an Indiana native born and raised in the Church of Knight, that that was a TS drove me absolutely crazy.

And no chuckles for "Big, big D"?
In any dispute between labor and management, the workers are always right.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: *waves* Welcome to the board, CailinGaoilge! Isn't it fun to finally decloak?
Thank you, and yes it is!

Sage on the Hudson

To paraphrase David Letterman's famous introduction: Yma, Indy. Indy, Yma.

Post by Sage on the Hudson »

silverscreentest wrote:A Raiders of the Lost Ark "premake" trailer as if it were made in 1951. One of the movies used is Secret of the Incas.

This is very funny; whoever put it together ought to be commended.

As for the FJ clue, it was misleading -- not to the contestants; it led them where they needed to go) -- but in its misstatement of fact. Charlton Heston's character, Harry Steele was far more a model for Indiana Jones than his nearly identical wardrobe. Harry's a lot shadier than Indy -- something Heston was never able to pull off well in any role that cast him as anything less than a paragon of virtue -- but he is, for all intents and purposes, the character "Fedora," the proto-Indiana Jones who appropriates the Cross of Coronado from the teenage Indy in Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, which was George Lucas and Steven Spielberg's intention.

Harry Steele wasn't the only influence of Lucas and Spielberg; they incorporated elements of Marc Brandon, a fin de siècle archaeologist (this one upstanding) played by Robert Taylor in Valley of the Kings (like Secret of the Incas, released in 1954), and the Egyptian setting for the original Raiders.

Of course, being as familiar with all these films, I can't help but feel that the only thing that's kept Raiders of the Lost Ark from being a truly great film is the absence of Yma Sumac, that walking, breathing musical saw.

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

And the only one who could ever beat me
Was the son of a federal judge
And the only one whose smile was creepy
Was the son of a federal judge

Yes he was... was... was...
@caknuck