Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7144, 2015-10-08

Matt Jackson game 10.

(Peabody: To convince Alex Trebek that the world adores him more with facial hair, Sherman and I set the WABAC to 1984, Culver City, Jeopardy! studios, for Alex to try...)
(Sherman: The Trebek!)
(Alex: Been there, done that.)

WE ASKED: Wendi McLendon-Covey.

CONTESTANTS
Sameer Rawal, an internal medicine resident from Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Erik Latshaw, a cellar hand from Los Angeles, California
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 9-day cash winnings total $249,411)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. Welcome, ladies and gentlemen. Over the past two weeks, our champion, Matt, has become a very successful 23-year-old. And I'm sure that Erik and Sameer are hoping to emulate his success on Jeopardy! Let's see how it works out, gentlemen. Good luck. Here we go. All right, time to find out about the categories, and we start off today with...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE HAWAIIAN ISLANDS (5/5)
21st CENTURY MOVIES (5/5)
STUPID ANSWERS (5/5)
PIZZA! (5/5)
WHOSE LIFE IS IT? (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
"ANY" WAY (4/4) (Alex: Each correct response will end with "A-N-Y".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 18 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Erik: 8 R, 0 W
Sameer: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt found the Daily Double on the 14th clue. Matt had $5,200, Erik had $2,200, and Sameer was at $1,000. Matt made it a True Daily Double, wagering $5,200.

WHOSE LIFE IS IT? $600: Born New York, 1929,
lived briefly in Camelot,
died New York, 1994
(Alex: That's a good moment for us to take our first break, I think. He never ceases to amaze, does he?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $10,400
Erik: $2,200
Sameer: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Sameer Rawal is from Toronto, Ontario, Canada, and this young man has seen something that very few people have seen. A lot of people don't even know they exist anymore, and that is...?

Sameer: An Asiatic lion.

Alex: Where did this take place?

Sameer: So, it was on a trip to India with my family when I was very young. We went to the Gir Forest, which is close to where one of my parents is from. And so we went in a Jeep, and we actually got out of the Jeep. I remember very clearly seeing the lion and then being scared enough to run and jump onto my dad. I was having no more of it.

Alex: Aha. Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Erik Latshaw from Los Angeles, a cellar hand, which means you work in the wine industry.

Erik: That's right, yeah.

Alex: What do you do?

Erik: Well, once they got them off of the vine--I've done some of that work, too. But once they have them off the vine, I'm just moving the juice around.

Alex: Okay. Well, you're not crushing things with your feet or anything.

Erik: I have done that several times.

Alex: Really?

Erik: Yeah.

Alex: That's neat.

Alex: Matt Jackson is our champion, ladies and gentlemen. He's a paralegal in Washington, D.C. Now, we talked about the fact that you have Judaism and Christianity in your background, with your mother and your father, but in Judaism, there is something that appeals to you particularly.

Matt: It's a phrase, tikkun olam, which literally means "repairing the world", a phrase which means basically that we come into a world that's not perfect, that has some flaws in it, but while we're here, we can take some time to mend it and, in some sense, leave it better than when we found it.

Alex: One step at a time. Good for you.

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $16,800
Erik: $4,400
Sameer: $1,200
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
3P's, PLEASE (3/4)
SITCOM MOMS (3/5)
ENERGY (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
4-LETTER KNOWLEDGE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THEY WROTE IT (5/5)
MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN (5/5) (Alex: And then, because the new TV show from DreamWorks premieres this Friday on Netflix...)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 16 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Erik: 7 R, 0 W
Sameer: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Matt had $20,000, Erik had $5,600, and Sameer was at $1,200. Matt wagered $4,000.

ENERGY $1600: Washington leads all states by getting 76% of its electricity from this renewable method

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 12th clue. Matt had $26,400, Erik had $5,600, and Sameer was at $2,800. Matt wagered $4,000.

4-LETTER KNOWLEDGE $2000: Famous caravel of 1492
(Alex: Yes. We'll accept that. [*]. The [*], the Pinta, and the Santa María.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SITCOM MOMS $2000: Before playing the mom on "The Middle", she was mom Debra Barone on "Everybody Loves Raymond"

SITCOM MOMS $800: (I'm Debra Messing.) This actress, singer & real-life mother of Carrie Fisher played my mom, Bobbi Adler, on "Will & Grace"

3P's, PLEASE $1200: The "Howdy Doody" show debuted in 1947 as this "Playhouse"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $42,400 (lock game)
Erik: $12,800
Sameer: $3,200

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: And we won't get to that last clue or two. And let's see. $42,400 for Matt. Enough said.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE EUROPEAN UNION

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $16,799 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Erik: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $6,399 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Sameer: You've no hope of catching up... unless Erik does something stupid. So risk $3,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Since Bulgaria joined in 2007, the E.U.'s 3 official alphabets have been our Latin one & these 2

FINAL SCORES
Sameer: $3,200 - $416 = $2,784 (What is cyrillic + turkic?) (3rd place)
Erik: $12,800 + $6,300 = $19,100 (What are greek & cyrillic) (2nd place)
Matt: $42,400 - $2,400 = $40,000 (What are Cyrillic + Y?) (249412-day champion: $40,000)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $4,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $33,400, 34 R (including 3 DDs), 0 W
Erik: $12,800, 15 R, 0 W
Sameer: $3,200, 6 R, 0 W
Combined Coryat: $49,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 34/61 = .557
Erik: 16/58 = .276
Sameer: 6/58 = .103
Team: 56/63 = .889

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
21st CENTURY MOVIES $400: (Hi. I'm Wendi McLendon-Covey.) In 2012 I shared the MTV Movie Award for Best Gut-Wrenching Performance with Kristen Wiig, Ellie Kemper, Maya Rudolph, Melissa McCarthy & Rose Byrne for a scene in this film

"ANY" WAY $600: As head of this organization, Boss Tweed made quite a hall
(Alex: Right, with less than a minute.)

WHOSE LIFE IS IT? $200: Born Michigan, 1863,
assembled quite a resume as an industrialist,
died Michigan, 1947
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

ENERGY $400: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew shows a video on the monitor.) A pole vaulter's run-up builds kinetic energy that gets converted when the pole is bent & the vaulter is propelled higher by this type of stored energy in the pole

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN $2000: "Ancient Eygpt & Cleopatra are really dazzling, Mr. Peabody;"
"Yes, and as the last ruler of this dynasty that was originally Greek..."
[Water splashes]
"...perhaps she's in denial"

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN $1600: "Wow, a firsthand look at Galileo's experiments with mass & acceleration, thereby disproving Aristotle's theory of gravity;"
"Yes, in this city in 1589 no one could say they got..."
[Rocks crash]
"...the drop on him"

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN $1200: "I'm getting a little seasick aboard this pirate ship, the Queen Anne's Revenge, Mr. Peabody;"
"Yes, I too, Sherman, but it's this man's ship & in its own way..."
[Chest opens]
"...quite bootyful"

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN $800: "I know from his 13th century writings that visiting China during the time of Marco Polo means we're also here when this man ruled as emperor."
"That's the khan do spirit Sherman, well done"

MR. PEABODY & SHERMAN $400: "Pay attention, Sherman; I've set the WABAC for this famous & dangerous June 1815 battle site;"
"Maybe that short tempered general can tell us its name?"
"Of course he can Sherman, of course he can"

[Peabody says "course he can" as "Corsican".]

THEY WROTE IT $1200: Carson McCullers:
"Lonely" novel about lonely people
(Alex: With less than a minute to go, you're right.)

SITCOM MOMS $400: On this classic sitcom, Carol had 3 very lovely girls--Marcia, Jan & Cindy--& 3 stepsons
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jackie Kennedy
hydroelectric power
the Niña
Patricia Heaton
Debbie Reynolds
Puppet
Greek & Cyrillic
Bridesmaids
Tammany Hall
(Henry) Ford
potential energy
the Ptolemaic Dynasty
Pisa
Blackbeard
Kublai Khan
Waterloo
The Heart Is a Lonely Hunter
The Brady Bunch
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

The European Union

Since Bulgaria joined in 2007, the EU's 3 official alphabets have been our Latin one & these 2.
Spoiler
What are Cyrillic and Greek? Sameer had Cyrllic and Turkic; Matt had only Cyrillic.
Sameer Rawal: $3,200-$416=$2,784

Erik Latshaw: $12,800+$6,300=$19,100

Matt Jackson: $42,400-$2,400=$40,000; now a 10-day champion with $289,411
Last edited by TenPoundHammer on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

When Alex referred to one of the answers on Final being easy and the other being more difficult, I assume he meant that Greek was the easy one. But I was with Matt today. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek took me about 25 seconds.
Hurone

Post by Hurone »

Greg Vinton wrote:When Alex referred to one of the answers on Final being easy and the other being more difficult, I assume he meant that Greek was the easy one. But I was with Matt today. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek took me about 25 seconds.
What timezone are you in where Jeopardy comes on so early?
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

In case you confused it with Toronto, Ontario, Madagascar.

Man, to have to play Matt after seeing him kick six shades of shit out of everyone that day... poor saps. They knew what was going to happen.

Mr. Peabody and Sherman looks about as funny as a car accident.

FJ! was instaget but then again I may or may not be a linguistics student.
floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

We've seen this pattern many times before.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TreadingWater
Contributor

Post by TreadingWater »

Greg Vinton wrote:When Alex referred to one of the answers on Final being easy and the other being more difficult, I assume he meant that Greek was the easy one. But I was with Matt today. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek took me about 25 seconds.
Same thing here - the clue TOM with "Bulgaria" led me right away to Cyrillic, and I spent much of the rest of the time going over a map of Europe in my head trying to find another country that didn't use the Latin alphabet...

I also really liked Erik's mocking Matt during the show opening by flashing a "ZERO" sign with his hand...well done! Not sure Matt was amused though...
Taken two dips in the pool but currently sitting on the edge waiting for another swim....
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

TreadingWater wrote:I also really liked Erik's mocking Matt during the show opening by flashing a "ZERO" sign with his hand...well done! Not sure Matt was amused though...
That was hilarious. I was a big fan of Erik.

Guessed Cyrillic and Arabic because I (incorrectly) guessed Turkey might be in the EU or something.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Champ played an excellent game, not much else to say.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Wow, what a great performance by Matt! He continues to impress. Congratulations to him on his tenth win. I had 34 correct responses including two triple stumpers: Patricia Heaton and Debbie Reynolds. In FJ, I got Cyrillic right away and came up with Greek about 15 seconds in.
macsr

Post by macsr »

floridagator wrote:Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

Hey everyone, I've been a lurker for a bit, but this is Sameer from today's ep.

Matt's incredible on the buzzer, which combined with his knowledge base, is a deadly combination. People talk about there being a "zen" moment before the lights turn on that you can signal and get in first, and it seemed like that is the case. It also seemed like he had that timing down. I have to admit that I was definitely intimidated watching the first three episodes taped on my day, and seeing who I was up against after going through the whole audition process. Never got a hang of the buzzer, and I felt especially defeated after the first daily double.

Still I had a ton of fun, and the whole day and process was a total pleasure. I'll remember it for the rest of my life. I wish it went differently, but that's how things go. I'm excited to see how far Matt goes, he's definitely a great player.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Loved the Mr. Peabody/Sherman clues for their horrible puns, didn't love them as much for the tl;dr factor that kept distracting me.

Not the slightest bit of recognition in the Movies category.

I've had margherita pizza but was blanking on basil. Just as well, since no way was I getting that "four seasons" clue.

All of the Hawaiian islands sound too much like each other, so they always get tangled up in my mind. I kept going "oh yeah, I knew that" when each one came up for all except Lanai, which honestly sounds completely unfamiliar to me. Looking them up, I also don't recognize Niihau or Kaho'olawe.

4/4 in "Any".

I am still too stupid for Stupid Answers. You're only going to think to guess of Beck's, Lake Geneva, and Tower Bridge if you've heard of them. The bridge could just as easily have been London Bridge, Thames Bridge, Adjoins Bridge, etc.; the lake, Lausanne, Leman, etc.; and the beer Light, German, Forerunner, especially if you gloss over "Beck's" entirely. With all that, I also expected a trap on Guiana. They've done it before!

Brain wasn't working at all on DJ! I should've gotten at least Brady Bunch, GWTW, pope, and a few others, but instead, I got only the top and bottom in 4 Letter Knowledge.

Missed FJ! with "Cyrillic and ?" Just could not think of any other alphabets for the life of me.
Leander

Post by Leander »

floridagator wrote:Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

It was obvious today that he was beating the guy in the middle, who seemed pretty frustrated. Matt also doesn't throw out wild guesses.

Interesting that his record on FJ doesn't match his domination of the first two rounds.

I don't mind him winning, but I really wish the games were more competitive.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I guess he figured since they refer to Greek (and the letters of its alphabet) all the time, and Grece was recently in the news? The whole thing was instaget, but w/o the Bulgaria hint, Greek would've come to me first.

Aonther day, another massacre. Im no longer hoping for a competitive match; sooner or later, someone will just barely get within 50% and his missed FJs will do him in, but when?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Thu Oct 08, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Another tour de force performance by Matt --- way better than the game he played yesterday -- and again despite leaving money on the table on his DD's. I was disappointed to see him miss that FJ (and to have made such a low wager on it, even though that ended up working out for him).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Leander wrote:
I don't mind him winning, but I really wish the games were more competitive.

That's the way it is with dominant teams or players in any competitive endeavor. I think you may have to wait till his TOC to see him in some really competitive games.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
nlw44
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by nlw44 »

In 2010, the judges disallowed "G-ee-ana" as a pronunciation of Guyana, but they gave it to Matt today. That older decision has always bugged me - in fact I was just thinking of it this week as I mentally ran my country-capital list while swimming. But man, I wish the judges were more consistent. There seemed to be some kind of pause or hitch there after Matt gave his answer. Perhaps they have learned the error of their ways, at least as far as Guyana is concerned, since 2010.
"And has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!"
He chortled in his joy.

Lewis Carroll, "Jabberwocky"
brick

Post by brick »

TenPoundHammer wrote: All of the Hawaiian islands sound too much like each other, so they always get tangled up in my mind. I kept going "oh yeah, I knew that" when each one came up for all except Lanai, which honestly sounds completely unfamiliar to me. Looking them up, I also don't recognize Niihau or Kaho'olawe.
It's unusual for any but the same five islands to come up. If you can manage to lock those down you're good to go.
Robsidian89
Contributor

Post by Robsidian89 »

27 right, and I ran the 21st Century Movies and Sitcom Moms categories. I thought like Matt too on Final. Greek seemed so obvious after they revealed Erik's response. Erik was a strong player, he just ran into a buzzsaw today. As a fellow Canadian, I was pulling for Sameer to get things rolling more than he did.

Lach Trash: Patricia Heaton, Debbie Reynolds, and puppet

There was something funny about Matt's serious expression after the Mr. Peabody & Sherman clues, almost like he was thinking "I don't have time for you, cartoon dog." The show might be clever (I liked Rocky & Bullwinkle), but the character designs just seem like change for the sake of change

If Matt wins more than $7,789 tomorrow, he'll pass Arthur Chu for fourth in all-time regular play winnings (and tie him in wins.) Given the run he's on, I wouldn't put it past him.