Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Euphonium

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Euphonium »

JillyJill wrote:
debramc wrote:The ship is spelled Niña, which is pronounced neen-ya. English speakers (well Americans at least) tend to drop all diacritical marks used in other languages so it's often printed as just Nina, but that's not accurate. It sounded to me like Matt pronounced it just fine, and I was surprised when Alex said "we'll accept that". To me it seemed Matt used the correct pronunciation and the nee-na pronunciation would have also been acceptable. I guess if you're expecting to hear nee-na then neen-ya might seem like three syllables but I don't think it actually was.
I agree 100%. I also pronounced the tilde.

I had 40 correct with a Coryat of $38,000, which is high for me. It was just a board of things I knew.

And I originally wrote slavic and Greek, then did a mental head-slap and changed it to cyrillic.
At least you didn't say "Glagolitic"...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Euphonium wrote:
Robsidian89 wrote:There was something funny about Matt's serious expression after the Mr. Peabody & Sherman clues, almost like he was thinking "I don't have time for you, cartoon dog."
OTOH, he did keep going back to the category. Which surprised me given his two-minute-offense strategy, because those clues took an exceptionally long time to complete.
I wonder if he thought it more likely to contain a DD. If I had to guess, I'd say that specialty categories with guest readers are less likely to have DDs. But I've never really thought about it before now.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
Robsidian89 wrote:There was something funny about Matt's serious expression after the Mr. Peabody & Sherman clues, almost like he was thinking "I don't have time for you, cartoon dog."
OTOH, he did keep going back to the category. Which surprised me given his two-minute-offense strategy, because those clues took an exceptionally long time to complete.
I wonder if he thought it more likely to contain a DD. If I had to guess, I'd say that specialty categories with guest readers are less likely to have DDs. But I've never really thought about it before now.
I'll have to go back and look, but I seem to recall (quite possibly erroneously, given my memory for these sorts of things) that they had both been uncovered by that time.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Euphonium wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
I'll have to go back and look, but I seem to recall (quite possibly erroneously, given my memory for these sorts of things) that they had both been uncovered by that time.
Yep, both were uncovered. 2nd clue after the 2nd DD was the first revealed PB&S clue.
http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=5062
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

dhkendall wrote:
Greg Vinton wrote:
Hurone wrote:What timezone are you in where Jeopardy comes on so early?
I'm in Central Time, but the time the show comes on is the local TV network's decision. Jeopardy comes on here at 4:30 Central, so I pretty much have to plan my day around having free time to watch it when it airs, since I don't have a DVR. I would much rather watch it in the evening.
Central Time usually gets it midday (it comes on here at 4:30 as well), this seems to be very common for us fly-overs.
Yeah, it's on at 3:30 here in Chicagoland. (It was on at 2:30 during Seasons 29 and 30.)
IIRC some folks get it even earlier.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
That has been my (quite unscientific) observation for many years, as well. As is my strong impression that the left-most column in DJ seems to contain a DD more than its share of a proportional distribution. I'm just starting to read back the threads here, so don't know if there's been a discussion or tracking of such trends, but I would guess there are one or more, so I'll keep looking around.
Pending...
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Yes, we have several people around here who are really good at getting useful info from the Archive and sharing it with the rest of us. I remember one such conversation dealing with the placement of DDs throughout the history of the show, but there is no way I could find that discussion.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

MollyQMurphy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
That has been my (quite unscientific) observation for many years, as well. As is my strong impression that the left-most column in DJ seems to contain a DD more than its share of a proportional distribution. I'm just starting to read back the threads here, so don't know if there's been a discussion or tracking of such trends, but I would guess there are one or more, so I'll keep looking around.
I have seen this brought up before... Can't remember who though. Might have been covered in thejeopardyfan or slayakaya
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Here's a comprehensive discussion of DD placement from November 2012.

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=1070&hilit=daily+doubles+and+column

I'm not aware where to find any data as to whether the placement of DD's has changed significantly in the nearly three years since that thread (other than to tediously perform calculations from the archive). Of course, certain principles seem likely to still hold true (i.e., the 3rd through 5th rows are the most likely places for DD's to be hidden, and they're more likely to be found in more "academic" categories).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

MollyQMurphy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
http://flowingdata.com/2015/03/03/where ... y-doubles/
Sprinkles are for winners.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
MollyQMurphy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Euphonium wrote:
http://flowingdata.com/2015/03/03/where ... y-doubles/
Aside from the silliness of the assertion in the first sentence of that article, my main criticism is that it doesn't distinguish between DD placement in single-J and double-J rounds. Is there a meaningful difference? That would be worth knowing. Also, the article asserts that "Th[e] pattern doesn't seem to change much season to season," but it would be nice to see some data to support that. I'm also curious as to what the distribution has been like so far in S32, as compared to previous seasons.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

36 R
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: None :?
Douglas Squasoni
guessonguessonguess
Valued Contributor

Post by guessonguessonguess »

So, lest anyone else discover the wonderful inventions that are the J! Archive/DVR/YouTube, can game recap & discussion threads be locked after one week of inactivity?
AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm So, lest anyone else discover the wonderful inventions that are the J! Archive/DVR/YouTube, can game recap & discussion threads be locked after one week of inactivity?
I feel like this is something that can be handled on a case-by-case basis, because I can think of plenty of cromulent reasons to keep threads open (often resurrecting a thread can provide context to current games).
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

OntarioQuizzer wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:37 pm
guessonguessonguess wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:44 pm So, lest anyone else discover the wonderful inventions that are the J! Archive/DVR/YouTube, can game recap & discussion threads be locked after one week of inactivity?
I feel like this is something that can be handled on a case-by-case basis, because I can think of plenty of cromulent reasons to keep threads open (often resurrecting a thread can provide context to current games).
Yes, I agree. However, I'd prefer not to see current topics displaced by multiple threads devoid of relevant content. There's a fine line between cromulence and crapulence.