Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Thursday, October 8, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by JayK33 »

I love this! Matt keeps it going with another HUGE win!! Finish the week off strong tomorrow, Matt!

Does JBoard give big superchamps like Matt nicknames after a while? MattAttack or MATTack were a couple I thought of.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

brick wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: All of the Hawaiian islands sound too much like each other, so they always get tangled up in my mind. I kept going "oh yeah, I knew that" when each one came up for all except Lanai, which honestly sounds completely unfamiliar to me. Looking them up, I also don't recognize Niihau or Kaho'olawe.
It's unusual for any but the same five islands to come up. If you can manage to lock those down you're good to go.
Also, there was a TOM in the Lanai clue, if you know that a patio is called a lanai in Hawai'ian.
brick

Post by brick »

brick wrote:
brick wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: All of the Hawaiian islands sound too much like each other, so they always get tangled up in my mind. I kept going "oh yeah, I knew that" when each one came up for all except Lanai, which honestly sounds completely unfamiliar to me. Looking them up, I also don't recognize Niihau or Kaho'olawe.
It's unusual for any but the same five islands to come up. If you can manage to lock those down you're good to go.
Also, there was a TOM in the Lana'i clue, if you know that a patio is called a lanai in Hawai'ian.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

JayK33 wrote:I love this! Matt keeps it going with another HUGE win!! Finish the week off strong tomorrow, Matt!

Does JBoard give big superchamps like Matt nicknames after a while? MattAttack or MATTack were a couple I thought of.
Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
A MattAttack-ack-ack-ack-ack-ack
You oughta know by now (you oughta know by nooooow)
gnash
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by gnash »

Nobody remembers Greece. It hasn't been in the news since that royal incest in Thebes.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Matt on becoming only the fifth double digit champion in the show's history! It's funny that Jennings and Madden did it within a year of each other, then it took 9 years to get another, and now we have seen 2 more in just a year and half since Arthur Chu became the third person to do it.

I thought that "Molokai" at $1000 was way easier than the two clues that were above it. Also, "Rabbit" was ridiculously overvalued for the clue that wanted an Updike work.

For the second time this week I was helped out in FJ by remembering past FJ clues: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=724 and http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3325

This board definitely played more to Matt's strengths than last night's board. I agree that Matt has been helped out a lot by his buzzer speed and also his mental stamina, though. There's no doubting his depth in the categories that he knows well, but he doesn't have the breadth of Jennings, Rutter, Craig, Vered, Madden, and some of the other greats.

I also noticed in this game that Matt seems to start with calling the categories that he is weaker in. I can't say that I like that strategy, because I wouldn't want to lose control of the board and then see one of my opponents uncover a DD in a category that I like. It is better to try to stay in control than to "save the best for last."
Hurone

Post by Hurone »

StevenH wrote:I also noticed in this game that Matt seems to start with calling the categories that he is weaker in. I can't say that I like that strategy, because I wouldn't want to lose control of the board and then see one of my opponents uncover a DD in a category that I like. It is better to try to stay in control than to "save the best for last."
I have to say I think Matt's strategy is the way to go. By starting with your weaker categories, you limit the amount of potential damage your opponents can do if there's a Daily Double in that category.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

brick wrote:
brick wrote:
Also, there was a TOM in the Lanai clue, if you know that a patio is called a lanai in Hawai'ian.
Or you've watched Golden Girls.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

Hurone wrote:
Greg Vinton wrote:When Alex referred to one of the answers on Final being easy and the other being more difficult, I assume he meant that Greek was the easy one. But I was with Matt today. Cyrillic was an instaget and Greek took me about 25 seconds.
What timezone are you in where Jeopardy comes on so early?
I'm in Central Time, but the time the show comes on is the local TV network's decision. Jeopardy comes on here at 4:30 Central, so I pretty much have to plan my day around having free time to watch it when it airs, since I don't have a DVR. I would much rather watch it in the evening.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

How many contestants have used their telephone area code as their wager? Was this the first?

Sameer, is that really the reason for your wager?

Welcome to JBoard, BTW.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Greg Vinton
Lost to Matt Jackson; Wasn't a Runaway

Post by Greg Vinton »

TreadingWater wrote:
I also really liked Erik's mocking Matt during the show opening by flashing a "ZERO" sign with his hand...well done! Not sure Matt was amused though...
I seriously considered doing this on my intro, even though back then Matt was only holding up 4 fingers and it wasn't quite the big deal it is now. The only reason I didn't is because I thought it might be perceived as disrespectful to Matt. Of course I would have only meant it as a playful jab, but I knew people might think it was mocking.

My point is, we don't know what Erik was thinking when he flashed that "0". I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant it as a good-hearted homage, and not "mockery."
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Greg Vinton wrote:My point is, we don't know what Erik was thinking when he flashed that "0". I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt and assume he meant it as a good-hearted homage, and not "mockery."
That would be my guess.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Welcome to JBoard, Sameer!
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote:Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

We've seen this pattern many times before.
You just really go out of your way to be an ass at every opportunity, don't you? Yes, Matt's knowledge base is equal to every other player he has faced, that's why he has won 10 games and nearly $300K, because he can buzz faster, clearly the only reason. :roll: :roll: :roll:
brick

Post by brick »

macsr wrote:
floridagator wrote:Matt's domination on the buzzer is obviously key to his winning. Many of these questions are so easy, relative to what the contestants have to go through on the online and written test, that I have to believe that all three of them know the correct answer by the time AT is finished reading. Therefore, Matt's knowledge on these questions is equal to the others. So his advantage on the buzzer is allowing him to take all these elementary questions that leave him in control of the board and able to hunt daily doubles.

We've seen this pattern many times before.
Hey everyone, I've been a lurker for a bit, but this is Sameer from today's ep.

Matt's incredible on the buzzer, which combined with his knowledge base, is a deadly combination. People talk about there being a "zen" moment before the lights turn on that you can signal and get in first, and it seemed like that is the case. It also seemed like he had that timing down. I have to admit that I was definitely intimidated watching the first three episodes taped on my day, and seeing who I was up against after going through the whole audition process. Never got a hang of the buzzer, and I felt especially defeated after the first daily double.

Still I had a ton of fun, and the whole day and process was a total pleasure. I'll remember it for the rest of my life. I wish it went differently, but that's how things go. I'm excited to see how far Matt goes, he's definitely a great player.
I'm glad you enjoyed it. Welcome!
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

JayK33 wrote:Does JBoard give big superchamps like Matt nicknames after a while? MattAttack or MATTack were a couple I thought of.
I don't know about the board, but those of us who played him last week were calling him Buzz Saw even during taping.
dlbookman
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by dlbookman »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
Is that all I get for my money?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

dlbookman wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
Is that all I get for my money?
It seems such a waste of time.

Brian

Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Oh, but watchin' too hard can give you
Well, if anyone in that room is trading in his Chevy for a Cadillac...
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

What was the clue/answer on Matt's DD that Alex said "we'll except that"?
I thought it was a four letter word category, and it sounded like Matt's response was a three syllable word (Nen-e-a ?). Not saying the judges made a mistake but I was just a little confused afterwards. Maybe it's a Spanish pronounciation thing?