Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Friday, October 9, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! »

TenPoundHammer wrote:I assume "house call" works or "house visit"? Google says the former is more common.
Definitely. I'm sure "house call" is what they were expecting.
eroll
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by eroll »

Category 13 wrote:Emily reminded me of Laraine Newman from the original SNL cast.

When Alex told her "I hope you enjoyed yourself" at the end of DJ, there was a delayed subtle laughter from the audience as if she made a negative remark or facial jesture that was edited out. Just speculating, not accusing.

Since Elicia took the plunge and is posting, I guess I will, too. I'm the aforementioned Emily. If I remember correctly, I laughed myself at Alex's comment because it wasn't exactly my finest hour. Mostly I remember just feeling sad and rueful. I'm from a really small town. People were so genuinely happy and excited by me being on the show; it was truly touching. It was hard not to feel like I had just disappointed them. I really wanted to make my town and my county proud.

Anyway, I'll take the Laraine Newman comment as a compliment, however you meant it. She is a talented and funny lady.
Noitall
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Noitall »

Matt is not that smart. This game is rigged.
brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by brick »

TenPoundHammer wrote:
I clammed on axeman, since the bottom two were film related and I was wondering what an "axeman" could be in a film context after "editor" was already used.
Yeah. The three film jobs in a row prior to that one caught me flat footed... I forgot the exact category title and had let it narrow in my thoughts.
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Tetris has to go high 90s in the weekly poll. As always in such a case I wonder what the misses could be? The Sims? Any of the countless other stacking strategy games?
Mine was the "I have no idea" miss.
Yeah, I think if you know anything more about Tetris than the name "Tetris" you're going to get this FJ correct.
Disagree. It was a facepalm when I saw the answer, but Tetris has been off my radar screen so long it just never came to mind. I didn't know anyone still played it. I toyed with The Sims as an answer but it didn't seem right.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I dreaded FJ when I saw the category but Tetris was an Instaget. Another impressive win by Matt!
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

Say, you notice that Matt's total ends in 411? I also have a number that ends in 411, haha. Which number is it? How long do you suppose it will stay that way? Good luck, Matt. Hey, numerology makes about as much sense as astrology or anything else, right?

How did Matt, and the whole world, for that matter, not know post-and-lintel? 1000 clue, really? His sixth grade history teacher is not too happy.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Noitall wrote:Matt is not that smart. This game is rigged.
Hey Andy, is November's JBoardie of the Month title spoken for already?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

#ILLUMINATI
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

The dolly grip clue reminded me of a guy on our quiz bowl team who couldn't quite grasp what was an appropriately difficult question. So in his style, we formulated,"Who was the dolly grip on The Best Little Whorehouse is Texas?
Spoiler
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
brick

Post by brick »

eroll wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Emily reminded me of Laraine Newman from the original SNL cast.

When Alex told her "I hope you enjoyed yourself" at the end of DJ, there was a delayed subtle laughter from the audience as if she made a negative remark or facial jesture that was edited out. Just speculating, not accusing.

Since Elicia took the plunge and is posting, I guess I will, too. I'm the aforementioned Emily. If I remember correctly, I laughed myself at Alex's comment because it wasn't exactly my finest hour. Mostly I remember just feeling sad and rueful. I'm from a really small town. People were so genuinely happy and excited by me being on the show; it was truly touching. It was hard not to feel like I had just disappointed them. I really wanted to make my town and my county proud.

Anyway, I'll take the Laraine Newman comment as a compliment, however you meant it. She is a talented and funny lady.
Welcome. I'm sorry your game went so badly.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I have to admit, when that Stempel guy lost on Thursday, I was having the same suspicions.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

eroll wrote:

Welcome Emily.

On another day, it could have been a completely different outcome. I hope that your friends and townsfolk know what a truly amazing accomplishment it was just to get there in the first place, something that many of us here aspire to but haven't yet achieved. I, too, felt sad that you kept slipping further away from contention.

And I hope that both you and Elicia will stick around here. It is a great place where many share your experience.
The Kentucky Derby, Preakness & Belmont Stakes must be rigged too, then. I know for a fact Matt is smarter than American Pharoah.

And, Noitall, I hope you go away and never bother us again.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

eroll wrote:

Welcome, Emily. It was a matter of getting thrown off your game. I'm sure your gameplay veered dramatically from your plan. At least you're in good company ...
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

This Is Kirk! wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:Tetris has to go high 90s in the weekly poll. As always in such a case I wonder what the misses could be? The Sims? Any of the countless other stacking strategy games?
Mine was the "I have no idea" miss.
Yeah, I think if you know anything more about Tetris than the name "Tetris" you're going to get this FJ correct.
This is one of those that I missed because that particular synapse was asleep. I had a feeling it was something I absolutely should know, and it was. I fed lots of quarters into actual Tetris machines in the late 1980's. I remember going to a choral concert in the early 2000's and recognizing the song "Kalinka" as the third Tetris song. I remember being bothered by the fact that Я is a vowel. But I still didn't get it. I ran out of time with a stupid expression on my face (at least I assume I had a stupid expression on my face, I wasn't looking in the mirror).

Editing to add: Welcome to Elicia and Emily! When playing against a tough champ, sometimes you have to go for broke however it turns out. Hope you'll stick around.
Rex Kramer
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by Rex Kramer »

silverscreentest wrote:So in his style, we formulated,"Who was the dolly grip on The Best Little Whorehouse is Texas?
Pretty sure that's Burt Reynolds gripping Dolly.

Rex
lorimendenhall
Contributor

Post by lorimendenhall »

I'm not proud that I missed what was obviously a very easy FJ but someone was asking what a miss could have been... I said "Sim City", even though I wasn't confident. it's a building game from the mid/late 80's. ps - and way to go Matt!!!!!!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

bpmod wrote:
eroll wrote:

Welcome Emily.

On another day, it could have been a completely different outcome.
That's for sure! I think most people realized Emily's poor performance had as much to do with Matt as anything. He's so good he forces his opponents into making mistakes.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

eroll wrote:
It was strictly a visual connection.

And I felt Alex's "Hope you enjoyed yourself" comment should have been reserved for the credits roll segment, or at least not on live mic broadcast.
I liken his on camera comment to a trackside reporter at the Daytona 500; telling that to the rookie driver, 2 mintutes after he crumpled his car up against the wall.
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:36 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

>duplicate post<
sorry
Last edited by Category 13 on Mon Oct 12, 2015 12:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.