Architect notoriety

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Have you heard of the modern architects listed below?

Sir Norman Foster
22%
Zaha Hadid
24%
I haven't heard of either before their mention on this board.
65%
I only hear about modern architecture when it melts a Jaguar or poolside bodega
10%

Total votes: 68

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Architect notoriety

Post by Volante »

Wiki links for the architects named:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norman_Fo ... hames_Bank

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Zaha_Hadid

(For the last one, http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-23941325 ; http://www.nbcnews.com/id/39403349/ns/t ... ts-guests/ , coincidentally, both by the same architect. I just love plugging those stories :D )

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Architect notoriety

Post by dhkendall »

If they're not named Frank Lloyd Wright, I haven't heard of them. (Well, I do know I. M. Pei too, thanks to J!) This is why I doubt these names would be on J! At least not regular games.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:If they're not named Frank Lloyd Wright, I haven't heard of them. (Well, I do know I. M. Pei too, thanks to J!) This is why I doubt these names would be on J! At least not regular games.
Frank Gehry (especially), Renzo Piano, Philip Johnson and Oscar Niemeyer are among the 20th-21st century architects who come up in the J! archive. The J! canon of architects is definitely larger than Frank Lloyd Wright and I.M. Pei.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

Being an architect, I always get excited when there is an architecture-related category on Jeopardy. Of course, this is inevitably followed by disappointment when the questions are written for a different level of familiarity with well-known architects and works of architecture.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Heard of several, but neither of these.

tiwonge
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by tiwonge »

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote:If they're not named Frank Lloyd Wright, I haven't heard of them. (Well, I do know I. M. Pei too, thanks to J!) This is why I doubt these names would be on J! At least not regular games.
Frank Gehry (especially), Renzo Piano, Philip Johnson and Oscar Niemeyer are among the 20th-21st century architects who come up in the J! archive. The J! canon of architects is definitely larger than Frank Lloyd Wright and I.M. Pei.
Saarinen came up last week.

Edit: He seems to appear in j-archive more than any of these. (Not Wright or Pei, though.)
Last edited by tiwonge on Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

tiwonge wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
Speaking of which, I was surprised they didn't BMS on that and accepted just the last name, because Eero's father Eliel was himself an architect of some renown.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Leander

Post by Leander »

Have heard of Foster, but can't promise I would be able to identify him cold, without the nudge from the discussion here. Never heard of Hadid.

I think Foster unlikely to to ever come up on Jeopardy, especially compared to Gehry and Philip Johnson.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

mahatma wrote:Being an architect, I always get excited when there is an architecture-related category on Jeopardy. Of course, this is inevitably followed by disappointment when the questions are written for a different level of familiarity with well-known architects and works of architecture.
Are you an architect with a phD?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:
mahatma wrote:Being an architect, I always get excited when there is an architecture-related category on Jeopardy. Of course, this is inevitably followed by disappointment when the questions are written for a different level of familiarity with well-known architects and works of architecture.
If he is, he'll probably wind up on my game against a plumber with a PhD.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Bamaman wrote:
Not even close. I was just trying to describe a phenomenon that probably happens to lots of people when their somewhat-esoteric favorite subject comes up.

There's also a danger of overthinking, and not being as quick to hit on the 'obvious' answer.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Incidentally, this, I think, is how I was first introduced to Zaha Hadid...possssssibly NSFW? I mean, just look at the link url...
Pretty sure Sir Foster never had a Daily Show clip dedicated to his works.

http://www.cc.com/video-clips/q9k5o3/th ... y-muffness

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Architecture school dropout here: you learn about those two on the first day.

Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

I.M. Pei, Eero Saarnien, and Maya Lin come up often on the NYT crossword puzzles.

ClammyJim
Contributor

Post by ClammyJim »

I've only heard of Zaha Hadid because she has shown up as an answer on Pointless a couple times, namely as someone who won the Pritzker Prize.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

ClammyJim wrote:I've only heard of Zaha Hadid because she has shown up as an answer on Pointless a couple times, namely as someone who won the Pritzker Prize.
I'd heard of Zaha Hadid before I started watching Pointless, but I think I might have heard of Norman Foster for the first time (and many times thereafter) on there. On Saturday's episode of Pointless Celebrities, there was a round about famous people with shared names in the style of Before & After, and one of the clues referred to a golfer and an architect, Greg ______ Foster.

Leah
Occasional Phantom Presence

Post by Leah »

Aalto maybe?

electricia
Contributor

Post by electricia »

tiwonge wrote:

Edit: He seems to appear in j-archive more than any of these. (Not Wright or Pei, though.)
I think Saarinen comes up a lot because he's one of "the ones" - if you hear "Finnish architect", it's probably him (or one of them). Just like Swedish playwright is usually Strindberg, Finnish composer is usually Sibelius, etc. There are others, but I think J! usually sticks to the ones where there's really one famous one.

I think I worded that poorly, but I just woke up, sorry.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

No love for Rem Koolhaas? Though, at age 70, maybe he's a bit too old for this discussion (but surely not as old as Gehry and Pei?)

mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woof wrote:No love for Rem Koolhaas? Though, at age 70, maybe he's a bit too old for this discussion (but surely not as old as Gehry and Pei?)
I think Rem Koolhaas/OMA have built very little that would be on the general viewer's radar. The CCTV building, maybe? The Seattle Public Library probably not. And absolutely nobody cares about architectural theory/paper architecture.