Tuesday, October 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7147, 2015-10-13

Matt Jackson game 13.

CONTESTANTS
Christine Gengaro, a college professor and writer from Los Angeles, California
Corbett Hancey, a journalist from Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Matt Jackson, a paralegal from Washington, D.C. (whose 12-day cash winnings total $390,411)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Good news for our champion as we begin the program today. He has now moved into sole possession of fourth place in number of wins--regular wins--on Jeopardy! As well as the amount of money won--$390,000. Corbett and Christine, the C's, are here. Good luck. You're gonna need it. Let's go to work. Here are the categories in today's Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
IT'S TACO TUESDAY (5/5) (Alex: Yes!)
NEW ENGLAND (2/5)
TRUE BLOOD (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
SURE "SHOT" (5/5)
SEUSSICAL TITLES (4/5)
OLD SCHOOL HIP-HOP (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 14 R, 0 W
Corbett: 6 R, 0 W
Christine: 5 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Matt: $4,200
Corbett: $2,800
Christine: $1,600

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Like so many of our contestants on Jeopardy!, Christine Gengaro is a movie fan, and especially a fan of the films of Stanley Kubrick, and in particular, the music from his motion pictures. In fact, your dissertation was on one of his motion pictures.

Christine: That's absolutely right, Alex. I did my dissertation on A Clockwork Orange, and then later wrote a book about the music in all of the films that he made.

Alex: His work has really stood the test of time.

Christine: Absolutely.

Alex: Corbett Hancey is a journalist originally from Halifax, Nova Scotia. And when he was much younger, he traveled by canoe and kayak to the far north in Canada. Where exactly?

Corbett: Uh, it was called the Seal River, so it flowed, uh, north through Manitoba, up, uh, into Hudson's Bay.

Alex: Wow.

Corbett: Yeah.

Alex: So you were north of Churchill, Manitoba?

Corbett: We were, yes. Yes.

Alex: Now I was in Canada's north this past summer, and I got to see beluga and, uh, polar bears. Did you get to see them also?

Corbett: Uh, we saw them both.

Alex: It's exciting stuff, isn't it?

Corbett: Totally exciting.

Alex: And scary sometimes.

Alex: All right, our champion is Matt Jackson. And his goal when he decided to try out for Jeopardy! was to do what?

Matt: Well, I think a good way to put it is, I wanted to see what I was capable of. I--

Alex: And you thought of Jeopardy! in this regard?

Matt: Sure. I mean--

Alex: Are there any other avenues that you would like to pursue that would answer that question for you?

Matt: Well, I'm trying to teach myself to cook a bit better, and that's not going nearly as well, so...

Alex: Okay.

[Laughter]

Alex: Well, you're doing very well on our program.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Christine found the Daily Double on the 24th clue. Matt had $6,200, Corbett had $2,800, and Christine was at $3,600. Christine wagered $2,000.

TRUE BLOOD $800: Some kinds of white blood cells produce these, proteins that destroy bacteria, viruses & other invaders
(Christine: What are antibiotics?)
(Alex: Less than a minute to go now.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
SEUSSICAL TITLES $800: Young Gerald McGrew speculates on "If I Ran" this place

NEW ENGLAND $400: (I'm Kevin O'Leary of Shark Tank.) In the '90s I made millions from selling software in my headquarters in this university city, part of the East Coast version of Silicon Valley

NEW ENGLAND $600: Nickname of the Pawtucket triple-A baseball team & of the MLB team it's affiliated with

NEW ENGLAND $800: This 19th-century Connecticut village, seen here, was recreated from actual shops transported there from all over New England

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Matt: $7,200
Corbett: $3,400
Christine: $2,000
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART II (4/5)
FLOWERS (4/5)
POP CULTURE TRANSPORTS (5/5)
MY KIND OF "TOWN" (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
PAINTING & SCULPTURE (5/5)
AN ANTONYM OF... (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Matt: 15 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Corbett: 7 R, 0 W
Christine: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $5,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Matt snagged the next Daily Double on the 21st clue. Matt had $20,400, Corbett had $9,000, and Christine was at $3,600. Matt wagered $4,000.

AN ANTONYM OF... $1200: order;
Harvard's Curtis McMullen studies its theory

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Matt who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 22nd clue. Matt had $24,400, Corbett had $9,000, and Christine was at $3,600. Matt wagered $4,000.

MY KIND OF "TOWN" $1200: About 2.5 miles northwest of the Capitol, it's at the confluence of the Potomac & Rock Creek
(Alex: If you hadn't come up with the correct response to that, you would not have been allowed back in Washington, D.C.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
FLOWERS $1600: (Sarah of the Clue Crew shows a flower in Tahiti.) Traditionally, Tahitian men and women wear the Tiare Tahiti, a type of this shrub flower, behind the left ear if they're happily in love, the right ear if they're still looking for that someone special

HISTORY OF THE WORLD PART II $2000: This WWII battle was named for the area of water between Australia & New Caledonia

AN ANTONYM OF... $2000: untouchable;
it starts with a "T" but don't say "touchable"
(Christine: What is taboo?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Matt: $30,800 (lock game)
Corbett: $10,600
Christine: $5,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MODERN AMERICAN POETRY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Lock for first place; lock for second place.
Matt: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $9,599 (martian), and enjoy your victory.
Corbett: Wager between $0 (venusian) and $199 (martian), and enjoy 2nd place.
Christine: You've no hope of catching up... unless Corbett does something stupid. So risk $5,199.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A critic said this 1956 poem was "a tirade... against those who do not share the poet's... sexual orientation"

FINAL SCORES
Christine: $5,200 - $5,200 = $0 (What was ?) (3rd place)
Corbett: $10,600 + $150 = $10,750 (What is Howl??) (2nd place)
Matt: $30,800 - $9,599 = $21,201 (What is One Art?) (390412-day champion: $21,201)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $8,200

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Matt: $25,200, 29 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Corbett: $10,600, 13 R, 0 W
Christine: $7,200, 10 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $43,000

BATTING AVERAGES
Matt: 29/60 = .483
Corbett: 14/58 = .241
Christine: 10/59 = .169
Team: 53/63 = .841

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
IT'S TACO TUESDAY $600: In the salsa, make sure to use plenty of this, the leaves & stems of the coriander plant

PAINTING & SCULPTURE $1600: Houdon sculpted this French writer & thinker with and without his wig

MY KIND OF "TOWN" $1600: In a Cameron Crowe movie, Orlando Bloom returns to this Kentucky place
(Alex: With a minute to go, yes.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
antibodies
the zoo
Cambridge, Massachusetts
the Red Sox
Mystic Seaport
chaos
Georgetown
the gardenia
the Battle of the Coral Sea
tangible
"Howl" (by Allen Ginsberg)
cilantro
Voltaire
Elizabethtown
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Modern American Poetry

A critic said this 1956 poem was "A tirade... against those who do not share the poet's...sexual orientation."
Spoiler
What is "Howl"? Matt said "One Art"; Christine had no guess.
Christine Gengaro: $5,200-$5,200=$0

Corbett Hancey: $10,600+$150=$10,750

Matt Jackson: $30,800-$9,599=$21,201; now a 13-day champion with $411,612
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Oct 13, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

In case you confused it with Halifax, Nova Scotia, Finland.

Not only were the two challengers sharp but Matt gets two very easy DDs one after the other. Had a butterfly flapped its wings a little more strongly on the other side of the world, this could have been the one.

I thought this FJ was nailed on for a triple get. The year quoted + sexual orientation + criticism = Ginsberg = Howl.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

The innominate situation was very relevant today. After Matt took the 2nd DJ DD, Corbin needed all he could have gotten to reach 50% of the champ. It would have been sensible for the female contestant to stay clam for the rest of the game, because she only had a chance if Corbin did, and without all the high-value clues she took, he had no chance. It would have let Corbin win the game too, because he knew FJ and Matt didn't.

How easy those DDs were today!
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Happily ran Taco Tuesday (I love Mexican food), along with "Shot" and Seuss, but had only 3 other gets on the J! board.

I thought the New England category was incredibly difficult.

"Bulb flower" for $2000? Really?

0/5 in the "Town"s. Didn't want to take the flyer on Middletown at $2,000; almost said Jamestown on the DD; and couldn't pull Chinatown or Cooperstown in time. I've heard of Elizabethtown, but had no chance on that clue.

No guess on FJ! I know there is a poem called "Howl", and that is written by someone named Ginsberg, but I had no idea what the poem was about.
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Matt on yet another win. I had 38 correct responses including two triple stumpers: the zoo and Red Sox. I also got the missed DD of antibodies, but I didn't get FJ.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

floridagator wrote:The innominate situation was very relevant today. After Matt took the 2nd DJ DD, Corbin needed all he could have gotten to reach 50% of the champ. It would have been sensible for the female contestant to stay clam for the rest of the game, because she only had a chance if Corbin did, and without all the high-value clues she took, he had no chance. It would have let Corbin win the game too, because he knew FJ and Matt didn't.

How easy those DDs were today!
It doesn't really benefit the 3rd place person if 2nd place is just above 50%, because 1st place is going to wager just enough to win.

Corbett kept going back to $400 questions, allowing Matt to find the DD easier.

I said "I know why the Caged Bird Sings" just to say something.
Last edited by OSXpert on Tue Oct 13, 2015 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

Yay, a modern poetry FJ! Oh, its about an almost 60 year old poem, sigh. Congrats to Matt on lucky #13.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Matt on another win!

Corbett was good on the buzzer and had some good gets. Maybe if he had just DD hunted...

I was happy to pick up the Lach trash on the Battle of the Coral Sea.

"1956 poem" was all I needed to get FJ. I am not entirely surprised that Matt missed it; I think that was a Pavlov more from my J! studies than my quiz bowl studies.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Oh, I guess that this is the poem that Matt guessed for FJ: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176996

I am just in awe that he was familiar with that poem.
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Another solid win but surprised to see he bet near 10k on FJ when it's real money and you don't have to... overconfident?!

46R instaget FJ for goats. LT: Red Sox; "If I ran the ZOO"; Battle of the Coral Sea (Wow! TS? Really?!); tangible; no get on gardenia but Sarah looked so lovely wearing it, sigh! 8-)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
Hurone

Post by Hurone »

grindcore wrote: Not only were the two challengers sharp but Matt gets two very easy DDs one after the other. Had a butterfly flapped its wings a little more strongly on the other side of the world, this could have been the one.

I thought this FJ was nailed on for a triple get. The year quoted + sexual orientation + criticism = Ginsberg = Howl.
Really? I thought Christine was average at best, and while Corbett's knowledge was good, he was terrible at strategy. Kept going for the $400 clues in DJ which allowed Matt to clinch with both DDs. I'm sure Matt knows "Howl", he probably just overthought his answer for FJ. "One Art" is certainly a more obscure poem than "Howl."
ginroth
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ginroth »

StevenH wrote:Oh, I guess that this is the poem that Matt guessed for FJ: http://www.poetryfoundation.org/poem/176996

I am just in awe that he was familiar with that poem.
It's a famous and important poem and was published around the right time by a poet who wrote about her lesbianism a lot and won the '56 Pulitzer for poet, so it was a good guess even if he should just have gone for the obvious chose of "Howl".
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

A quiz bowler who memorizes lists, never actually reads poems, and watches Jeopardy sporadically WOULD think that "One Art" is the answer to that question.

Bishop won a Pulitzer in 1956. Check! Bishop was a lesbian. Check! But "One Art" - write it! - is hardly a tirade.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

31 right.

Taco (2), New (4), Blood (2), "Shot" (4), Seuss (1), Hip (1)
World (4), Flow (1), Pop (2), "Town" (3), Paint (4), Ant (3)

Lach Trash: "zoo", "Cambridge", "Red Sox", "antibodies"- DD

Instaget FJ based on year and the term "sexual orientation".
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

In the past, I've called Poetry my weakest subject, yet when it comes to gay poetry, I get it correct in the 30 second period. I wonder what that says about me.

I guessed Ginsberg immediately but then it took me longer to remember what I thought was his most famous work. Lo and behold, I was right.

Congrats to Matt on another win. Here's hoping he runs the week again.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

I've heard of Allen Ginsberg and "Howl", but I've somehow managed to go this long without knowing that Allen Ginsberg was gay and "Howl" had anything to do with sex.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

Let it be known that on this day, Tuesday, the 13th of October, 2015, I got a Final Jeopardy! that Matt Jackson missed.

Lach Trash: the zoo, Cambridge, Red Sox, tangible, antibodies (DD)
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

This was one of Matt's least dominant runaways. I'm starting to think he's not that great.