Wednesday, October 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MinnesotaMyron
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Wednesday, October 14, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

econgator wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:WLT Billy Graham on Religious Leaders for $200?
Beats the hell out of me. No idea why that was in the top box.
More like the fact that it was in the top box would lead to to Billy Graham. I think his name is also probably Pavlov for "evangelist" in the context of Jeopardy, or at least Pavlov for a modern evangelist. I can't think of another who is famous enough to be asked about. "Preacher" sure, I can think of a couple, but "evangelist" goes right to Billy Graham. The other 2 names in the clue were also instagets for me, but not for many or most, I'd assume.

CailinGaoilge
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

floridagator wrote:
MitchO wrote: EDIT: Oh and Twitter is going BESERK right now.
So is the Blue Jays fan board. I didn't even know they got Jeopardy! in Toronto.
Considering the number of Canadians who compete on Jeopardy, that should be a pretty easy guess.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Maybe TPTB should bring back the 5-day cap...it would cut down on contestant sniping...

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

floridagator wrote: Matt still continued to grate at me right to the end. His constant rudeness to Alex, I think, has alienated a lot of regular J! watchers. He was stampeding to get to the last clue in the J! round even when it was obvious that they were going to let all of the DC-3 clues be played.
He actually started to grow on me the longer he stuck around. I didn't see his behavior as rudeness. I'm thinking any player that's on the show for any length of time is going to be polarizing, even moreso the longer they are on, i.e. Ken Jennings, Arthur Chu.....

Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

econgator wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:
Austin Powers wrote:This will be the third time the Space Needle has been the FJ answer since 2013, BTW.
Interesting. I did guess correctly, but the word "roof" felt wrong. That made me think of a building, not a tower. I don't think of towers as having roofs.
Not that I would have thought of the Space Needle, but yeah, when Alex revealed the correct response, I thought, "It has a roof?"

Best I could do was the Astrodome.
It has a restaurant at the top, I hope it has a roof, esp. considering Seattle's weather.

1962, Seattle World's Fair - It helps to have actually been at that fair.

molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

bpmod wrote:
floridagator wrote:[Matt's] constant rudeness to Alex, I think, has alienated a lot of regular J! watchers.
I really wish that, before you posted any of this tripe, you might think of some actual evidence of said rudeness. I won't even ask you to prove that it is constant. Just one simple example.

Brian
Thank you for saying this. I always got the impression that Alex really liked Matt, and more than that, just kinda got him and what he was doing and didn't take offense. He chided him a little sometimes but it always seems good-natured to me. And how people can think Matt--musical theater geek/cat lover who gets passionate about tikkun olam, I mean come on--is some kind of robotic mean-spirited villain is entirely beyond me. I mean there are so many people in the Jeopardy Facebook comments, which, I know, what a surprise, but still, saying the most horrible mean-spirited things, it's stunningly lacking in self-awareness.

Anyway, holy hell that was intense.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.

mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

Leander wrote:The only FJ answer I could think of was the Astrodome, but I was pretty sure it was later than 1962, and knowing it was eventually demolished, I didn't think it would have celebrated a 50th anniversary. With my East Coast bias, I don't think I would ever come up with the Space Needle.
Same boat here. I knew the Astros Colt .45s entered baseball in 1962, along with the Mets, and was pretty sure they didn't move right into their permanent home. The Astrodome is still standing, but it hasn't had a major tenant in a decade and a half, and according to Wikipedia, has been officially closed since 2008.
grindcore wrote:So, another Zerg/Peloquin/Loughnane one-and-done giant-killing? Can't wait to find out.
Hey now, don't shortchange Victoria Groce, who took out David Madden and was also one-and-done!
hbomb1947 wrote:bravo to him for the sportsmanship he displayed with his honesty to the judges (I too had heard him say "al" initially).
Agreed. I was expecting a reversal; I was not expecting it to have been initiated by the player himself in this case.

A couple of nights ago, I Tweeted out a graph of money won versus games won for the seven players who have won nine or more games (showing only the first 20 games of Ken's run). With Matt's run now final, the updated graph is below. Dan Pawson responded: "Dear god he's good. I've never felt so inadequate at Jeopardy :)"

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

A couple of nights ago, I Tweeted out a graph of money won versus games won for the seven players who have won nine or more games (showing only the first 20 games of Ken's run). With Matt's run now final, the updated graph is below. Dan Pawson responded: "Dear god he's good. I've never felt so inadequate at Jeopardy :)"
What impresses me most about Matt how well he does at such a young age. I'm more than twice his age yet can't retain half the stuff he does. I was also impressed tonight that he knew "Take the money and run," considering it was out almost 20 years before he was born.
Last edited by thenextofken on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

molly427 wrote:
bpmod wrote:
floridagator wrote:[Matt's] constant rudeness to Alex, I think, has alienated a lot of regular J! watchers.
I really wish that, before you posted any of this tripe, you might think of some actual evidence of said rudeness. I won't even ask you to prove that it is constant. Just one simple example.

Brian
Thank you for saying this. I always got the impression that Alex really liked Matt, and more than that, just kinda got him and what he was doing and didn't take offense. He chided him a little sometimes but it always seems good-natured to me. And how people can think Matt--musical theater geek/cat lover who gets passionate about tikkun olam, I mean come on--is some kind of robotic mean-spirited villain is entirely beyond me. I mean there are so many people in the Jeopardy Facebook comments, which, I know, what a surprise, but still, saying the most horrible mean-spirited things, it's stunningly lacking in self-awareness.

Anyway, holy hell that was intense.
I echo this. Matt has been a joy to watch because of the breadth of his knowledge and his skill in playing the game - and for his modesty and humour. I loved his slow smile and the daily finger-count (up until 10, at least). His sportsmanship today was admirable. I never found him rude in any way. Some of the comments I've seen on these boards - and I haven't been inclined to go anywhere near the facebook page - have been appalling: judgemental, mean-spirited and lacking any actual evidence. But then we've seen it before; I've only been around here since Jennifer's run, admittedly, but some of the comments then were, IMO, shameful.

Thank you both for your posts.
Last edited by CailinGaoilge on Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

molly427 wrote: I always got the impression that Alex really liked Matt, and more than that, just kinda got him and what he was doing and didn't take offense
Yeah, I think that Matt has a very good chance of being invited to the next super tournament, even if he doesn't win his ToC.

mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Hi, everyone. I've been lurking around for quite a while, so now seems as good of a time as any to say hello. :D

So first off, I have nothing but the utmost respect and admiration for Matt. He called the judges over immediately on the au/al clue right at the break, which alone speaks for his character. But he was nothing but gracious, humble and friendly throughout that entire day.

So who the hell am I? Did I under-wager on the DD? Perhaps...but here was my thought process at the time (I actually thought about it much longer than the editing would have you believe). All I knew of Matt's gameplay at that point was seeing him play on Monday and Tuesday, where opponents mounted a decent challenge against him only to get skunked with consecutive DDs in DJ. I'd also seen him miss one of two FJs, so I knew he wasn't invincible there. I knew there weren't any DDs left and we had a least a little gameplay left. I wasn't completely confident on the category -- the James Dean clue was a distant memory at that point -- so I figured my safest bet was to bet enough to pass him while not putting myself totally out of contention in Final should I miss.

Also, if you're wondering where Dodger Stadium came from, well....uh, let's just say it was a Hail Mary written down in the last three seconds after a long thought train that led me through space program locales, to the Astrodome (which, being from Houston originally, I knew wasn't right because no paint has touched that sagging building for decades) to finally thinking, "Hey, maybe they did something for the LA Galaxy in 2012...but where?" Which led me to write down something that doesn't have a roof to paint. Whee! At any rate, I have a conference to present at in Seattle in a few weeks. That should be fun! I hope they have good air conditioning.

Now that that's out of the way, hope to stick around with all you lovely people for a while if you'll have me!

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Oh and going back a bit .. Soul Asylum was way undercosted. I'm a big fan of the band and knew it instantly, but it was arguably not even the biggest song from a band that only had one popular album. The video itself is what makes it a memorable part of music history though, as they used it as a platform to try to find runaway youths, showing images of lost kids of whatever country the video was playing in. I remember the stories that some of the kids ended up having some terrible ends to their stories; some turned out to be murder victims, and one told the band at a concert that she was "found" because of the video and returned to an abusive household.

Mostly, I just remember being mad at Dave Pirner for getting to date Winona Ryder. :P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRtvqT_wMeY

molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

Oh my god, the "Runaway Train" video messed me up when I was a kid, and I feel bad about it now as an adult but as a kid it was that last (fictional) scene that always upset me the most.

JillyJill
2016 Teachers Tournament

Post by JillyJill »

Congrats to Matt! What a great player! What a fabulous run!

I had a Coryat of $25,400. Missed Monrovia (said Freetown). Got LT of resistance. I figured out the Space Needle from the clues! I think 3rd should not have bet. Great betting from Michael. I was genuinely surprised Matt missed it, but he did seem tired.

I am excited to watch him in the Tournament of Champions!

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Volante wrote:Maybe TPTB should bring back the 5-day cap...it would cut down on contestant sniping...
I think TPTB are more interested in the ad-revenue boost he'll provide for the upcoming TOC: http://www.adweek.com/news/television/m ... ion-167566
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

molly427 wrote:Anyway, holy hell that was intense.
It's rare that I make noises while watching the show (beyond playing along) but I definitely let out a "whoa!" after the last clue in DJ.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I disliked AT's comment on strategy when Matt found the early DD in the first round.

I also thought the "morning mail" neg was weird. Would they have accepted "mail"?

I guessed Astrodome on FG but was pretty sure the dates were wrong.
Last edited by Woppy T on Wed Oct 14, 2015 11:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

Vermonter wrote:
molly427 wrote:Anyway, holy hell that was intense.
It's rare that I make noises while watching the show (beyond playing along) but I definitely let out a "whoa!" after the last clue in DJ.
I was just saying somewhere else, it felt like an episode of Breaking Bad! Okay, maybe a slight exaggeration. But I did yell "oh my god!" at least once so, there's that.

molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

Woppy T wrote:I disliked AT's comment on strategy when Matt found the early DD in the first round.

I also thought the "morning mail" neg was weird. Would they have accepted "mail"?
Probably not, because the clue mentioned the initials "a.m." so I think they would have only accepted "air mail"

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BUILDING A COMPOUND WORD $400: Supporting rods in a bicycle wheel + any human = one who makes a statement for another

Other than it being 2015, anyone have a problem with spokesman?

4/5 for me in MOVIE TAGLINES because I can't read. Somehow I processed Liam Neeson as Leslie Nielsen and could not make a Naked Gun/Police Squad play for the clue.

Players need to know their Stephen King works since he's a J! regular in clues.

Yes, great for Matt to make the honest admission during the break. Not every player would have such integrity.

Six unplayed clues in the DJ! round stinks especially when we could have possibly seen some more lead see-sawing which is always exciting. I know J! would never do such a thing, but it sure was fishy timing to have the round end just when Matt hit his $2000 to take the lead by $200.

The FJ! clue puts me on the side of 1962 = Space Needle thanks to it being a J! favorite. I had no detours to any space center places. The Astrodome was the only thing I considered during the remaining 28 seconds. 1964 or 1965 would have been a 50/50/90, but I knew it was one or the other for sure.

David Madden sure has escaped a couple of threats to his regular winnings total as Julia and Matt had him in their sights.

When the match was over I laughed when Alex headed over to the contestants and Matt reached out for the shake he had become accustomed to, but had to quickly learn he would not be greeted first.

Okay, Matt in the 2015 TOC. Yes, I'll keep in him Gold even if his FJ! clue solving skills need some work.