Friday, October 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

alamble
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by alamble »

Vanya wrote:Who are the Philadelphia Phillies qualifies for the FJ question, IMO.
The question specifically stated that the name needed to be translated, so no, the Phillies are not a correct answer. I got this one, but I agree with those who argue that it is a stupid and poorly worded question.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Vanya wrote:Who are the Philadelphia Phillies qualifies for the FJ question, IMO.
How is it "doubly redundant"?
What does doubly redundant mean? Los Angeles Angels is just redundant (not really because Angeles is Spanish).
That's why the clue began "When translated...." "The Los Angeles Angels," when translated, is "The The Angels Angels." "Doubly redundant" means there are two separate redundancies--the word "the" and the word "angels". The only way Philadelphia Phillies works is if you translate it as "Brother-lovin' brother-lovers." Which, I admit, has a certain charm.
jeffwolfe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jeffwolfe »

I immediately thought of the Angels, but the "double redundancy" thing threw me. I would've gone with Angels and been surprised to be correct.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

What does doubly redundant mean? Los Angeles Angels is just redundant (not really because Angeles is Spanish).
The Los Angeles Angels = The The Angels Angels
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

jwatcher16 wrote:
silverscreentest wrote:
jwatcher16 wrote:BTW, Mike Trout, the pitcher is an Angel, right? He comes from my county in NJ.
I don't know about Mike Trout the pitcher, but Mike Trout the outfielder plays for the Los Angeles Angels and is from New Jersey. Jersey Mike's lost a prime endorsement when he went to Subway.
HI there ----- thanks for the correction. Don't know why I thought he was a pitcher, but yes, he's from Millville, must be the same one. Shows I really don't follow baseball much anymore.

What prime endorsement did he lose, may I ask?
Jersey Mike's is a sandwich that is not much different from Subway. Jersey Mike's should have gotten a guy from New Jersey named Mike - Mike Trout - to do commercials, but I guess Subway pays celebrities better, as long as they're not charged with sex with minors.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign »

opusthepenguin wrote:
nightreign wrote:I come from a long line of Angels fans, so there was no way I was missing that Final. (It will be a sad day when they play the Cubs on Opening Day 2016. I might have to root against them.)
What's the antecedent on that last pronoun?
I might have to root against the Angels.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

nightreign wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
nightreign wrote:I come from a long line of Angels fans, so there was no way I was missing that Final. (It will be a sad day when they play the Cubs on Opening Day 2016. I might have to root against them.)
What's the antecedent on that last pronoun?
I might have to root against the Angels.
Welp, that'll make two of us!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

44R get on FJ after wrestling with HTH to get father's fathers out of SD Padres Friars... LOL. Then Angels' Angels struck me like a crystal bullet right between les yeux!
LT: Not much to be had; get on missed DD: I.M. Pei.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Onairb wrote:There are always going to be a certain number of people who just 'shut down' clues like this...'EEEEWWW! It's sports/wordplay/wordplay about sports!'...but I think this one might have been easier than some would suggest.
It was no trouble for elites like you and me. But I can see how it would seem a tad difficult to the hoi polloi masses.
Actually "hoi" in "hoi polloi" means "the;" "hoi polloi" = "the common folks/masses." So "the hoi polloi masses" would also be redundant.

*ducks*
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

John Boy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Onairb wrote:There are always going to be a certain number of people who just 'shut down' clues like this...'EEEEWWW! It's sports/wordplay/wordplay about sports!'...but I think this one might have been easier than some would suggest.
It was no trouble for elites like you and me. But I can see how it would seem a tad difficult to the hoi polloi masses.
Actually "hoi" in "hoi polloi" means "the;" "hoi polloi" = "the common folks/masses." So "the hoi polloi masses" would also be redundant.

*ducks*
Now lecture the FJ writers on what "Los Angeles" means.
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Robert K S wrote:What did Alex say in Russian after the balalaika clue? (Phonetically sounds like "Wachin hareshow")
очень хорошо
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

nserven wrote:Would they have negged a player who didn't include the "The," since that's supposedly what makes it a double redundancy?
Doubt it. They weren't actually asking for the full name, just saying that the full name of the team that is the correct response expands as such. I wouldn't be shocked if they just took "Anaheim."
Euphonium

Post by Euphonium »

Onairb wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Alexander the Great or Chicago at $400?
The first referenced 'Macedonian leader'. Nine times out of ten, that's Alexander(Otherwise, it would be his father, Philip, but clues about him tend to mention his son).
The Chicago clue mentioned State Street, which is pretty much a giveaway(like Park Avenue for NY, or Lombard Street for SF).
I hear State Street and I immediately go to Madison, to be honest.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

John Boy wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
Doubly so. It's almost as if I did it on purpose.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

Onairb wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT Alexander the Great or Chicago at $400?
The first referenced 'Macedonian leader'. Nine times out of ten, that's Alexander(Otherwise, it would be his father, Philip, but clues about him tend to mention his son).
The Chicago clue mentioned State Street, which is pretty much a giveaway(like Park Avenue for NY, or Lombard Street for SF).
Except if you're in the financial industry, the company whose full name is usually shortened to State Street, is generally associated with Boston.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
jwatcher16
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jwatcher16 »

to SilverScreenTest -

Thanks or that info. I've never heard of Jersey Mike's, but it does sound as though Mike Trout would be a great fit to be one of their endorsers.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Vanya wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
That's why the clue began "When translated...." "The Los Angeles Angels," when translated, is "The The Angels Angels." "Doubly redundant" means there are two separate redundancies--the word "the" and the word "angels". The only way Philadelphia Phillies works is if you translate it as "Brother-lovin' brother-lovers." Which, I admit, has a certain charm.
I'm calling them this from now on.