Friday, October 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: Friday, October 16, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote:It didn't click until today, but Josh! reminds me of Moriarty from Sherlock.
Yes! Oh, yes indeed.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

nightreign wrote:I come from a long line of Angels fans, so there was no way I was missing that Final. (It will be a sad day when they play the Cubs on Opening Day 2016. I might have to root against them.)
What's the antecedent on that last pronoun?

OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OrangeSAM »

Yes, I got FJ!.
MarkBarrett wrote:Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeath? WELL, THAT EXPLAINS SOMETHING ABOUT JOSH!
He's deaf!?!?
OCSam

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

OrangeSAM wrote:Yes, I got FJ!.
MarkBarrett wrote:Anthrax, Slayer and Megadeath? WELL, THAT EXPLAINS SOMETHING ABOUT JOSH!
He's deaf!?!?
Exactly. One too many rock shows! :)

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

floridagator wrote:
seaborgium wrote:if I had been on stage, I like to think that I would have written "are the" immediately, and "the" would have jogged my thought process in the right direction.
The contestants are instructed during the break what to write at the top of the screen, such as "Who is" or "What are."
Uh, I suspect seaborgium might have some real world experience with this.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

brick wrote: I liked Zelda a lot. I wish she'd have bet more conservatively at the end.
I also liked her from very early in the game.

I got FJ!, but the clue was awkward at best. I always think of the name as starting with "The" but, if that isn't officially part of the name, the clue becomes questionable.

It just occurred to me that I got a Final Sports Jeopardy that was in the category of weird wordplay because it had already occurred to me. I think my mind works the same way as whoever writes those clues, except that I don't write for a game show for a living so my random thoughts don't end up as inscrutable clues.

Not quite sure what I think of "Josh!". I don't know how anyone can get good enough at trivia to get on J! and win two games without having heard of I.M. Pei.
Last edited by Linear Gnome on Fri Oct 16, 2015 11:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

I got FJ but agree with those saying the first "the" isn't really part of the team name. Crummy clue.

What was with that wager on the last DD? And not coming up with Pei when asked to name a Chinese architect?

Did anyone else think the guy on the right resembled a young Ken Jennings?

worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

Yup, the boyfriend and I immediately said "Ohhhhh…hearing loss."

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
seaborgium wrote:if I had been on stage, I like to think that I would have written "are the" immediately, and "the" would have jogged my thought process in the right direction.
The contestants are instructed during the break what to write at the top of the screen, such as "Who is" or "What are."
I've been on ten episodes. Only "Who" or "What" is pre-written.

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

seaborgium wrote: I've been on ten episodes. Only "Who" or "What" is pre-written.
Has anyone been negged for omitting the copula? I remember in the old days a few contestants lost because they forgot the phrasing altogether.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Plactus wrote:It didn't click until today, but Josh! reminds me of Moriarty from Sherlock.
Yes! Oh, yes indeed.
Hmm... like this:

or perhaps like this:

or, unforgettably, like this?

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

floridagator wrote:
seaborgium wrote: I've been on ten episodes. Only "Who" or "What" is pre-written.
Has anyone been negged for omitting the copula? I remember in the old days a few contestants lost because they forgot the phrasing altogether.
No, they tell you it won't be negged, but you'll look silly if you write "Who Los Angeles Angels?"

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

floridagator wrote:
I was beaten by someone who did, so no. (Now awaiting a reply saying that winning while leaving a verb out doesn't necessarily mean that the player wasn't negged for it)

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

StevenH wrote:
Bamaman wrote:
econgator wrote:What a moronic FJ.

I knew it was going to be wordplay and that I would miss it. Guessed the Padres.
I actually thought of the Phillies about 10 seconds after the think music ended, and now that I see Brian's explanation of the clue, I have to say that econgator is exactly correct here. That was a moronic FJ clue. A baseball fan would have a hard enough time with that one, but a non-baseball fan probably has very little chance of pulling it.
Yeah, count me in as laser targetting the Philly Phillies and then dropping the pen. Though around second 32 I started worrying that maybe Colorado was Spanish for 'mountain' or 'rocky'. Would have taken a long time for me to settle on California Angels (eff you, contractually required naming format...though I would accept Anaheim. Honestly, I probably do use Anaheim more often than CA when referring to the team. LA is still right out tho.)

The plurality of 'Angeles' does make LA a cleaner answer, but Philly is a nasty negbait if you think of it first.

I'd like this question better if they asked for both teams that are redundantly named. (And much MUCH better if they asked for one of the two. :lol: )

whatisbishkek

Post by whatisbishkek »

Woppy T wrote: Did anyone else think the guy on the right resembled a young Ken Jennings?
I thought so too.

trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

alietr wrote:And as an aside, on the team's website, they only refer to the "Angels" and almost never mention Los Angeles or Anaheim.
I go to several Angels games a year (whenever they play the Rays), so I can report that this is true at the stadium as well -- e.g., the scoreboards abbreviate the team name using their "A" logo.

mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Linear Gnome wrote:
brick wrote: I liked Zelda a lot. I wish she'd have bet more conservatively at the end.
I also liked her from very early in the game.

I got FJ!, but the clue was awkward at best. I always think of the name as starting with "The" but, if that isn't officially part of the name, the clue becomes questionable.

It just occurred to me that I got a Final Sports Jeopardy that was in the category of weird wordplay because it had already occurred to me. I think my mind works the same way as whoever writes those clues, except that I don't write for a game show for a living so my random thoughts don't end up as inscrutable clues.

Not quite sure what I think of "Josh!". I don't know how anyone can get good enough at trivia to get on J! and win two games without having heard of I.M. Pei.
Zelda was indeed awesome. She also was a contestant back in the Art Fleming days. (and as I recall, she said she won).

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If she was on the Fleming version, she looks very young for her age. Even if she was on the 1978-79 series, she'd be in her mid-50s, never would have pegged her as that old. Or maybe people just look younger the older I get.

I enjoyed her story, nice to hear she did that for her brother.

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,000
41 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: cataclysm, I.M. Pei (DD)

That DD wager. Dude, I know it's The Lights and all, but that one wasn't hard strategically or mathematically.

I don't get the hate on the FJ! clue. Sure, you can argue about whether "The" is part of the full name of the team, but the Angels are the only team with even one true redundancy. And it's not like you had to be some sort of a cunning linguist, given that "Angels" and "Angeles" are cognates separated by a single letter.

In any event, it gives me the opportunity to display my favorite MLB T-shirt:
(Next year, boys. Win for Vin.)
Sprinkles are for winners.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Volante wrote:...but Philly is a nasty negbait if you think of it first.
The first team that came to mind for me was the Cincinnati Reds, thinking 'Red Legs' might have some other wordage that I never heard of. Then I thought the NY Mets might be translated as New York City Metropolitans or something. That was all I had time for.