Tuesday, October 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 am

Placeholder for J! Round

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:30 am

Placeholder for DJ! Round

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Tue Oct 20, 2015 11:31 am

20th Century Novels

A line from this 1995 novel is "the infant glistened a scandalous shade of pale emerald".
Spoiler
Show
What is Wicked?
Alison Saunders: $7,200+$7,100=$14,300

Dean Meyer: $12,000+$12,000=$24,000

Robert Arrowood: $13,000+$12,500=now a 1-day champion with $25,500
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abraxas

Re: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Abraxas » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:34 pm

This was a good game by all three contestants after a slow start; congrats to Robert on his win. I had 40 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Hillary Clinton, Abigail Adams, and butte; but I didn't get FJ.

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:35 pm

LOL, just LOL at Michelle Obama being as old as Hillary.

LOL, just LOL at Mrs. McKinley complaining about firewood in the White House in 1800.

LOL, just LOL at Mrs. McKinley having her portrait done in 1881.

Now why wasn't that contestant negged for putting an extra syllable into ambidextrous (which means "right handed all over")?

I wonder if you ask for "pane e burro" if you get LOL butter.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:41 pm

floridagator wrote:LOL, just LOL at Michelle Obama being as old as Hillary.
Now why wasn't that contestant negged for putting an extra syllable into ambidextrous (which means "right handed all over")?
She was.

I knew Wicked was based on a book, but because the show came out in the 2000's, I guess I didn't place it at 1995.

I said Game of Thrones (green dragon being born?) to say something.

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Tue Oct 20, 2015 7:46 pm

Well, she was ruled correct at first, then they reversed it before the interviews. It was so obvious in real time, I was shocked they missed it.

And yeah, that first lady category, YIKES.

Instaget FJ

nightreign
#TeamAlsoRans

Post by nightreign » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:06 pm

Serious deja vu for me on that butte clue. (see Geographic Terms $1000 in this game) I think this clue was easier than the one I had, though, because it mentioned a butte being smaller than a mesa.

LT: Lucy Hayes, ambidextrous, Apollo, butte, Africa (DD)
Instaget FJ.

(btw, I can't be the only person who only knew Currier and Ives because of Christmas music, right?)
Last edited by nightreign on Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:12 pm

nightreign wrote: (btw, I can't be the only person who only knew Currier and Ives because of Christmas music, right?)
That's the only reason I knew that pair.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:14 pm

48R, instaget FJ and 8 LT: Apollo, god of sun; dryads; Lemonade Lucy Hayes; Abigail Adams; H.R. Clinton; African coast 'canary current' (DD); bonobo; butte. Nailed 5/5 1st ladies!
Fairly confident of a win from the 4th with those. Champ Dean bet it all, probly inadvisable desperate wagering... she didn't have enough to cover the leader, in a case like that, should cover the third place and hope the lead bets too much and misses. I woulda bet $4k from her position, keeping 8k on a miss, and hope he misses. Was a triple get, so at least go home with cab fare!
Robert played and wagered well. :)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 8:48 pm

goatman wrote: Champ Dean bet it all, probly inadvisable desperate wagering... she didn't have enough to cover the leader, in a case like that, should cover the third place and hope the lead bets too much and misses. I woulda bet $4k from her position, keeping 8k on a miss, and hope he misses. Was a triple get, so at least go home with cab fare!
Robert overwagered and would have gotten away with a win on TS, only because Allison also overwagered and Dean just flat wagered incorrectly.
Allison should have bet $4801, which would have surpassed a zero wager from Dean and still left her with enough to stay above Robert if he makes the expected wager and misses.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:02 pm

floridagator wrote:LOL, just LOL at Michelle Obama being as old as Hillary.
LOL, They all three have no idea how old Hillary is.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:04 pm

xxaaaxx wrote:Well, she was ruled correct at first, then they reversed it before the interviews. It was so obvious in real time, I was shocked they missed it.
It was ruled correct after a hesitation. There should have been no hesitation and no correct ruling. Another contestant was robbed of the rebound.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:08 pm

Category 13 wrote:
goatman wrote: Champ Dean bet it all, probly inadvisable desperate wagering... she didn't have enough to cover the leader, in a case like that, should cover the third place and hope the lead bets too much and misses. I woulda bet $4k from her position, keeping 8k on a miss, and hope he misses. Was a triple get, so at least go home with cab fare!
Robert overwagered and would have gotten away with a win on TS, only because Allison also overwagered and Dean just flat wagered incorrectly.
Allison should have bet $4801, which would have surpassed a zero wager from Dean and still left her with enough to stay above Robert if he makes the expected wager and misses.
Allison should wager $2400. The most likely rational wager from Dean is 2401 to cover Allison leaving her with 9599 on a miss. Dean 0 bets 0% of the time from this position.

Though strictly speaking she needs a single get or a big overbet mistake by Dean to have a chance. So win % is about the same either way. Third is much much more likely to miss FJ if first and second both miss so should bet at the low end of her range.

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:27 pm

danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Robert overwagered and would have gotten away with a win on TS, only because Allison also overwagered and Dean just flat wagered incorrectly.
Allison should wager $2400. The most likely rational wager from Dean is 2401 to cover Allison leaving her with 9599 on a miss. Dean 0 bets 0% of the time from this position.

Though strictly speaking she needs a single get or a big overbet mistake by Dean to have a chance. So win % is about the same either way. Third is much much more likely to miss FJ if first and second both miss so should bet at the low end of her range.
Since Allison would have to get a correct response in order to top Dean's hypothetical 9599 final score, then holding back $2401 only deprives her of that much extra money on a singleton get.

Armandillo

Post by Armandillo » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:38 pm

I completely agree with the above post. Math is hard, but 100% necessary for wagers :D

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Tue Oct 20, 2015 9:48 pm

Category 13 wrote:
danspartan wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Robert overwagered and would have gotten away with a win on TS, only because Allison also overwagered and Dean just flat wagered incorrectly.

Since Allison would have to get a correct response in order to top Dean's hypothetical 9599 final score, then holding back $2401 only deprives her of that much extra money on a singleton get.
By that logic she should bet it all. However it is actually MORE likely that her path to winning involves Dean overbetting and FJ being a triple stumper. 2nd overbets in this situation about 40% of the time.

Since she is more likely to win on a miss then she should bet at the small end of her range. It's a weighted average of the likely outcomes that comes to an overall maximum (after maximizing her win% by giving herself 2 ways to win instead of just 1).

As long as she doesn't bet it all like she did, then she is doing OK. My point is that maximizing on a get does not necessarily result in the Max expected value when everything is factored in.

thenextofken

Post by thenextofken » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:01 pm

I've seen the musical "Wicked" but forgot it was a book, and said "The Celestine Prophecy" just to have something to say.

I missed yesterday's show thanks to a Dallas Mavericks' pre-season game, although I played it off the archive later, and was surprised to find out Dean was a female.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:12 pm

Great J! board for me, with 21/28. Ran Food & Drink and "UR", and got all but Life Is Beautiful in Jeopardy! on the Marquee.

Best get of the night: "dryad". That one just came to me somehow.

DJ! was not as easy. I couldn't understand what $400 in Geology was asking for, saw no way to get Massachussetts in New Hampshire for $400, but I easily ran Every Other O and Hymns.

Not a guess on FJ! When this was a triple get, my first reaction was "Wicked was a novel?!?" Cue my mom pointing out a copy 15 feet away on our bookshelf.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Tue Oct 20, 2015 10:16 pm

I think the player said Obama just from seeing Chicago, but Hillary should have been ripe for the picking on the rebound. I cannot see how someone knows William McKinley's wife's name but not when he served as president.

Dean played well the whole game and wins if she knows more about hymns. (I hope TPH ran that category).

No chance for me on FJ.