Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
I agree. But the list of countries they refer to in English whose name is not English is very long:
Germany
Poland
Italy
Spain
China
Japan
etc., etc.

Do you also think the same about all of those?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

floridagator
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by floridagator »

For me, the negbait on FJ was Upper Volta, which IS on the Prime Meridian. It took a few seconds for me to remember that its name is now Burkina Faso. Then I remembered that Algeria is 20 degrees wide, making it the obvious answer.

It helped me to remember that the fictitious Zero Zero Island is off the coast of Ghana. Now who knows what THAT is a reference to?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Was I the only boardie to remember a LL question (probably recent) that listed a few cities, one of which being Algerian, and asked their connection, the answer being they are on the prime meridian?

(EDIT: Ah, here it is: LL61 MD16 Q3, so not that long ago. (I think it was mentioned recently in an article about LL, using it as an example question.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

John Boy

Post by John Boy »

hbomb1947 wrote:I wish I'd gotten around to ordering that world map (the kind you put pins in to illustrate your travels) that I want to hang over my desk. My guess for FJ was Andorra, which turned out to be shockingly close to being correct (the longitude of its capital, Andorra-la-Vella, is just 1 degree and 31 minutes east of the prime meridian).

I think the Montgolfier freres were undervalued at $1,200 in a non-TOC game. (Clues about those ballooning bros were valued at $1,600 in 2012, and $2,000 in 2007. The clues were TS's on both of those other occasions too.). In the meantime, I was happy to scoop up that lach trash.
Thank you for looking up the Andorra information. I also thought Algeria was way too far east and I also guessed Andorra. Good to know it wasn't far wrong.

As an example of the J! brain vs. the normal person brain, Montgolfier brothers was Instaget for me, a TS for the three contestants. My wife, who is a very bright lady but (alas) not a J! brain, rolled her eyes and asked "how do you know all that stuff?" I recall a picture of their balloon floating over Paris in my h.s. world history class, and thought, "how can people NOT know that stuff?"

Also Instaget on cesium-cerium.

Nice strong win by the new champ, and congrats to him.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I stand corrected, but they really shouldn't refer to the country as Ivory Coast.
I agree. But the list of countries they refer to in English whose name is not English is very long:
Germany
Poland
Italy
Spain
China
Japan
etc., etc.

I presume he doesn't. Here's why Côte d'Ivoire is different. They have officially declared Côte d'Ivoire to be their name IN ENGLISH (and in all other languages). They decline to recognize translations of their name. The US government accedes to their wishes in this. The US State Department page for the country calls it Cote d'Ivoire. For comparison, the US State Department page for Spain calls that country Spain.

Even more telling is their US State Department page for Passports & International Travel. First, note that the URL ends with "cote-divoire.html". For comparison, the URL for Spain's page ends, as you would expect, with "spain.html". Second, note on that page that their "official name" is "Republic of Côte d'Ivoire", a translation from the French "République de Côte d'Ivoire". (And again, Spain's OFFICIAL name on their page is "Kingdom of Spain".) Notice in that official name that "République" and "de" get translated. "Côte d'Ivoire" does not. It has, officially, no translation. It should not be confused with the identical French phrase which does have a translation. When speaking of the country, "Côte d'Ivoire" is Côte d'Ivoire. Period. Letters to The Ivory Coast are returned, unopened, with the stamp PAYS INCONNU. Ok, just kidding about that last part. I think.

tl;dr - They're Côte d'Ivoire because that's what they want to be called and that's what we agree to call them.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

I got the cesium/cerium clue, but only because I thought of cesium first. If I'd thought of cerium first, I'd have fastened on curium as being one letter off and considered my work done. Curium doesn't work because the clue asked for metallic elements. But it's awful negbaity. Possibly even more so for our Canadian friends who, I suspect, use the official IUPAC spelling of "caesium", which takes that element out of the running.

Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Bamaman wrote:The anagramed decades category was stupid. It should have been on Kids week if they had kid-friendly anagrams for the 60s and 20s.
My sentiments exactly. What a lazy effort on the part of the writers.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

John Boy wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:I wish I'd gotten around to ordering that world map (the kind you put pins in to illustrate your travels) that I want to hang over my desk. My guess for FJ was Andorra, which turned out to be shockingly close to being correct (the longitude of its capital, Andorra-la-Vella, is just 1 degree and 31 minutes east of the prime meridian).

I think the Montgolfier freres were undervalued at $1,200 in a non-TOC game. (Clues about those ballooning bros were valued at $1,600 in 2012, and $2,000 in 2007. The clues were TS's on both of those other occasions too.). In the meantime, I was happy to scoop up that lach trash.
Thank you for looking up the Andorra information. I also thought Algeria was way too far east and I also guessed Andorra. Good to know it wasn't far wrong.

As an example of the J! brain vs. the normal person brain, Montgolfier brothers was Instaget for me, a TS for the three contestants. My wife, who is a very bright lady but (alas) not a J! brain, rolled her eyes and asked "how do you know all that stuff?" I recall a picture of their balloon floating over Paris in my h.s. world history class, and thought, "how can people NOT know that stuff?"

Also Instaget on cesium-cerium.

Nice strong win by the new champ, and congrats to him.
I got the Montgolfier brothers mainly because of a Monty Python sketch about them. (Can it be called a sketch if it's practically the entire episode?)

BTW, TPH might learn a few more things if he watched Python regularly, I got quite a few J! clues merely from past Python references, and they sometimes have some seriously high-brow (/hoidy-toidy) references.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew cerium and cesium because I believe they occur back-to-back in Tom Lehrer's elements song. My high school chemistry teacher offered extra credit to anyone who could sing her that whole song. No one took the offer.

An extra credit question asking for what Occam's Razor is also went untaken, barring my joke answer of "what Occam shaved with".
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

I got the Montgolfier clue because the word for hot air balloon in French is "mongolfière".

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

opusthepenguin wrote:
bpmod wrote:
Germany
Poland
Italy
Spain
China
Japan
etc., etc.

I presume he doesn't. Here's why Côte d'Ivoire is different...
tl;dr - They're Côte d'Ivoire because that's what they want to be called and that's what we agree to call them.
Yes, exactly.

billiej

Post by billiej »

thenextofken wrote:Did anyone else learn the Preamble by watching Schoolhouse Rock? If not for that I don't think I would've run the category.
Absolutely!

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

thenextofken wrote:Did anyone else learn the Preamble by watching Schoolhouse Rock? If not for that I don't think I would've run the category.
My wife kicked my butt on that cat. She's a third grade teacher and has been teaching the song to her class.
@caknuck

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

Woof wrote:
Bamaman wrote:The anagramed decades category was stupid. It should have been on Kids week if they had kid-friendly anagrams for the 60s and 20s.
@caknuck

Woof

Post by Woof »

caknuck wrote:
Woof wrote:
Errr... lamburger?

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

grindcore wrote:I got the Montgolfier clue because the word for hot air balloon in French is "mongolfière".

I took a hot air balloon ride over the Loire River Valley and the company was called Montgolfier which is why I now always get that correct now.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

My ex-wife tells a story about a professor in her law school who offered extra points to anyone who could stand up and recite the entire preamble. All hands shot up. Then the professor said that you could NOT sing it, Schoolhouse Rock style, and if you did, he would instead take points away from your overall grade. Every hand came down.

EDIT: Oh, and I know about Null Island (though not it's origins) because my company's website has been guilty of being one of those that didn't check the return value of our geocoding software. I had explain it multiple times to multiple people why they were getting that spot in the ocean on the profiles.
Last edited by MitchO on Thu Oct 22, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

John Boy wrote:As an example of the J! brain vs. the normal person brain, Montgolfier brothers was Instaget for me, a TS for the three contestants. My wife, who is a very bright lady but (alas) not a J! brain, rolled her eyes and asked "how do you know all that stuff?" I recall a picture of their balloon floating over Paris in my h.s. world history class, and thought, "how can people NOT know that stuff?"
Yeah, I thought the Montgolfier balloon was incredibly cool and it's been etched on my brain since I first saw it, but that's the kind of thing that interests me.

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

grindcore wrote:I got the Montgolfier clue because the word for hot air balloon in French is "mongolfière".
I learned about the Montgolfiere brothers shortly after we moved to Albuquerque, home of the International Balloon Fiesta. Last year a team from France brought a replica of the original balloon; they also dressed in more-or-less period clothing, which was fun.

Woof

Post by Woof »

ElendilPickle wrote:
I learned about the Montgolfiere brothers shortly after we moved to Albuquerque, home of the International Balloon Fiesta. Last year a team from France brought a replica of the original balloon; they also dressed in more-or-less period clothing, which was fun.
I have no earthly idea where I learned of them, but I've known about their historic role since early childhood. That was the instaget of instagets for me.