Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7157, 2015-10-27

CONTESTANTS
Jayne Lady, a web developer from Iowa City, Iowa
Dave Treptow, a technical project manager from Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Sean Anderson, a law professor from Champaign, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $48,300)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, folks. We're only a month and a half into our new season, and yet, already, we've had some memorable games and certainly some memorable champions. Sean Anderson, a case in point--$48,000 in just two days. Dave and Jayne, it could happen to you, you know? It all depends. Let's find out if it's going to happen today. We start in this Jeopardy! Round with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
"P"s ON EARTH (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
TOYS & GAMES (5/5)
SPORTS HALL OF FAMERS (5/5)
MOVERS & SHAKERS (5/5)
PARTS OF THE WHOLE (5/5)
2 CONSONANTS, ONE VOWEL (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 17 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 0 W
Dave: 11 R, 0 W
Jayne: 3 R, 3 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 0
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Sean: $5,200
Dave: $1,200
Jayne: $800

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jayne Lady is a web developer who is a power lifter.

Jayne: Yes.

Alex: Now, what exactly is power lifting? What does that mean?

Jayne: Power lifting is a little different from bodybuilding, where you try to get big like Arnold. You just focus on a few lifts and focus on increasing strength and having fun and getting healthy.

Alex: Is it intimidating to the guys you know or your boyfriend or husband?

Jayne: No, my husband Zach's okay with it.

Alex: Yeah? Okay.

Jayne: He's strong, too.

Alex: He is? All right, good.

Alex: Dave Treptow from Milwaukee, Wisconsin, wrote an adaptation of a famous story by Edgar Allan Poe, but for a specific purpose.

Dave: Yes, I did an adaptation of "The Tell-Tale Heart" for a puppet theater. And what it was is that the person who was the killer was a real actor onstage. But the old man was a Bunraku puppet, which is the Japanese style where you see the manipulators onstage in black, and they make him move. And it was a life-size old man.

Alex: Now, this is not done for children. This is done for an adult audience.

Dave: Correct. It was done for an adult audience at Halloween.

Alex: Big hit?

Dave: Yeah. Yeah, it was a very big hit.

Alex: Okay, good for you.

Alex: Sean Anderson is our champ. He's a law professor. He proposed to his wife after skydiving. Now, were the two of you involved in the skydiving?

Sean: We were. She had done it one time before we met and had always talked about doing it again. So when I started making the plan to propose, I thought, "Well, let's do it," and I had never done it before.

Alex: I take it you did not propose on the way down.

Sean: No, no, there was no way we could have been sort of close enough for her to hear that.

Alex: Uh-huh. So, as soon as you landed...

Sean: No, actually, later that night at dinner, I asked her.

Alex: She figured, "If this guy will go skydiving with me, maybe he's a good catch."

Sean: That was the plan.

Alex: Okay, good for you. It worked.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Sean found the Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Sean had $8,600, Dave had $2,200, and Jayne had nothing in the bank. Sean wagered $1,400.

"P"s ON EARTH $1000: This city on the Arno River is known for a 12th century campanile

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Sean: $10,800
Dave: $6,200
Jayne: $600
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
U.S. FESTIVALS (3/3)
THAT'S OLD STUFF (5/5)
TIMELY LIT (5/5)
PLACE YOUR "BET" (5/5)
MASTERPIECE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
DOWNTOWN CABBIE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 9 R (including 1 DD), 0 W
Dave: 11 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jayne: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W

Clues revealed: 28
Triple Stumpers: 0
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $0

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Dave snagged the next Daily Double on the 23rd clue. Sean had $17,200, Dave had $16,200, and Jayne was at $8,600. Dave wagered $4,200.

MASTERPIECE $1200: Keira Knightley played Lara Antipova in an adaptation of this Russian tale
(Dave: What is Anna Karenina?)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 26th clue. Sean had $19,200, Dave had $10,400, and Jayne was at $10,200. Sean wagered $1,000.

DOWNTOWN CABBIE $1600: Maggie Daley Park to Soldier Field, sure-- we'll take da 41, aka this "drive" with a water view
(Alex: Sean, from Illinois?)
(Sean: What is [*]?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $21,000
Dave: $11,600
Jayne: $10,200

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE FOUNDING FATHERS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Sean: Wager $2,201 to cover Dave.
Dave: You have the hope of surpassing Sean if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $9,401 to force Sean to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Jayne.
Jayne: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $10,198 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On an alphabetical list of Declaration of Independence signers, he comes between Lyman Hall & Benjamin Harrison

FINAL SCORES
Jayne: $10,200 - $10,200 = $0 (Who is Alexander Hamilton?) (3rd place)
Dave: $11,600 + $11,598 = $23,198 (Who is John Hancock?) (2nd place)
Sean: $21,000 + $2,300 = $23,300 (Who is John Hancock?) (48301-day champion: $23,300)
(Alex: [Revealing Dave's response] [*], who was was the first to sign. Wrote it big, too.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $0

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Sean: $21,200, 26 R (including 2 DDs), 0 W
Dave: $15,800, 22 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)
Jayne: $10,200, 11 R, 3 W
Combined Coryat: $47,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Sean: 27/60 = .450
Dave: 23/59 = .390
Jayne: 11/58 = .190
Team: 61/63 = .968

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
MOVERS & SHAKERS $200: In 1821 William Becknell left Missouri & made it to New Mexico, thus blazing this trail
(Jayne: What is the Oregon Trail?)

TOYS & GAMES $400: This card game named for a suit is also called Black Maria
(Jayne: What is spades?)

"P"s ON EARTH $800: In 1945 Churchill, Truman & Stalin met in this city near Berlin to determine the structure of a post-Nazi Europe
(Jayne: What is Yalta?)

MOVERS & SHAKERS $800: (Kelly of the Clue Crew shows a map on the monitor.) From Baffin Bay, here is the 1908-1909 North Pole route, on which this man led a fellow American & four Inuit

MOVERS & SHAKERS $1000: The Franks' big one of these shook & opened the walls of Jerusalem during the First Crusade in July 1099
(Alex: Right you are, with less than a minute now.)

2 CONSONANTS, ONE VOWEL $600: A mongrel dog
(Jayne: What is a mutt?) [Originally ruled incorrect, ruled correct after the break because Alex had not specified that each response only have three letters]

TIMELY LIT $2000: Mark Haddon's novel, "The Curious Incident of" this came to Broadway in 2014 with Alex Sharp as the teen sleuth

THAT'S OLD STUFF $1200: Since the 8th century, a 230-foot-tall statue of this man has loomed over China's Sichuan Province

DOWNTOWN CABBIE $400: Take you from your loft in Soho to a gallery across Houston in this "village"? Tell ya the truth, it'd be faster to walk
(Jayne: What is the West Village?) [Originally ruled incorrect; ruled correct before the first Daily Double because "the borderline is very close"]

THAT'S OLD STUFF $2000: Mad King Ludwig began construction of this fairy-tale castle in 1869

MASTERPIECE $2000: In Masterpiece's "Wolf Hall", this actor of "Homeland" fame portrays a young Henry VIII

MASTERPIECE $1600: Bring your whole entourage to see this actor play the title role in Masterpiece's "Mr. Selfridge"
(Dave: Who is Jeremy...?)
(Alex: Less than a minute now, Jayne.)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Pisa
Doctor Zhivago
Lakeshore Drive
John Hancock
the Santa Fe Trail
hearts
Potsdam
(Robert) Peary
a battering ram
a cur (or a mutt)
The Dog in the Nighttime
Buddha
Greenwich Village (or the West Village)
Neuschwanstein
Damian Lewis
(Jeremy) Piven
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

The Founding Fathers

On an alphabetical list of Declaration of Independence signers, he comes between Lyman Hall & Benjamin Harrison.
Spoiler
Who is John Hancock? Jayne had Alexander Hamilton.
Jayne Lady: $10,200-$10,200=$0

Dave Treptow: $11,600+$11,598=$23,198

Sean Anderson: $21,000+$2,300=$23,300; now a 3-day champion with $71,600
Last edited by theFJguy on Tue Oct 27, 2015 7:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
KenJenningsFan74
Valued Contributor

Post by KenJenningsFan74 »

Today's win would put Sean Anderson in the alternate spot for the Tournament of Champions if he's unable to come up with win number four tomorrow. One more win and he's likely to end up joining Matt Jackson, Alex Jacob, Greg Seroka, and the other recent Jeopardy! superstars in the field of fifteen. I'm pulling for him, though I wouldn't mind seeing Michael Bilow qualify for the field, either.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

Let me simplify that Final Jeopardy question for you: name one person who signed the Declaration of Independence.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
Elijah Baley

Post by Elijah Baley »

JonathanHenke wrote:Let me simplify that Final Jeopardy question for you: name one person who signed the Declaration of Independence.
I would have gotten it right if that's how they worded it. Instead, I'll admit that this was one of those embarrassingly easy FJs where it was a little too tempting to over-think it, compounded by getting side-tracked with a wrong answer that, even knowing it was wrong, still managed to cause all brain function to cease.
Robsidian89
Contributor

Post by Robsidian89 »

Nearly an instaget on Final, I just had to quickly run through the alphabet of Ha- last names, and Hancock was beyond obvious (Hamilton never came to mind, I correctly recalled that he wasn't a signer.)

If Sean wins tomorrow, he will clinch a TOC spot (unless he manages an 11 day reign and is held over for the next field), and if Sean loses, Elliot Yates will clinch his TOC spot, so we'll likely know the 14th confirmed name tomorrow no matter what. In either case, there won't be time for two new four day champions to start and end a reign between tomorrow & November 6th.

Sean has played very well, but you know he's kicking himself over not wagering more on that last Daily Double to lock Dave out. Luckily, it worked out for him!
brick

Post by brick »

I said fen for bog. Hhhhmmmmm.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Parts of the Whole weren't connecting. "Cementum? Well, I've never heard of that, so clearly it's NOT a tooth."

NHO Santa Fe Trail.

I interpreted "suit" wrong in Toys & Games and was wondering if there was a card game named Armani. Also didn't know the Minecraft thing; I tried playing it but had no idea how to do it.

Strange that Jayne had TWO negs overturned. Has that ever happened before?

FJ! was almost Kids' Week easy.

Johnny's promotional consideration plug sounded different again today.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That FJ was way too easy. I was shocked that Alex provided an extra TOM to the DD by reminding Sean that he's from Illinois.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

brick wrote:I said fen for bog. Hhhhmmmmm.
Pretty sure that should work.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

I said fen for bog - judges?

I'm fine with the "west village" correction, even though i said greenwich village, but i thought the "mutt" correction was odd. Sure, it technically has 2 consonants and a vowel, but...
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

floridagator wrote:I was shocked that Alex provided an extra TOM to the DD by reminding Sean that he's from Illinois.
Right? Clearly he had forgotten that until Alex reminded him...
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Sean on another win. I had 39 correct responses including the missed DD of Doctor Zhivago. Instaget FJ; I got it before Alex finished reading the clue.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

econgator wrote:
floridagator wrote:I was shocked that Alex provided an extra TOM to the DD by reminding Sean that he's from Illinois.
Right? Clearly he had forgotten that until Alex reminded him...
Sean obviously knew the answer and hadn't forgotten HE was from Illinois (but not the metropolitan part) but the J! administration is supposed to be completely non-partisan and not show favors to anyone, especially when three contestants have 5-digit scores. What if it were an answer less obvious and the contestant were doing the Keats/Shelley vacillating?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Was I the only one hoping someone would write the answer really large?
Total game show career losings = $171,522
goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Agree Acc: Fen = Bog, 44R, instaget FJ. What an EZ PZ Final.... and 3rd place bets it all, leaving $0 AGAIN in event of 1st & 2nd bombing... you can't win with $0, 3rd placers stop doing that!! :o
LT: Missed DD on Dr Zhivago, Lara Antipova = instaget. Well-played game, almost no Lach trash left for us 4th podium players! :)
BTW TPH, Santa Fe and Oregon trails are the two that are most asked. NHO BLack Mariah for "Hearts" card game, total negbait!
Homo Naledi > Thumb; precalling soon to see: Homo Antecessor :!:
O & BTW; if you don't understand Lieutenant Colonel Custer, his battlefield civil war promotion to Brigadier General was never confirmed by Congress, he reverted to LTC after the war!
Money-saving policy; hundreds of breveted general officers' retired pay woulda broke the US Bank! ;)
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

goatman wrote:.... and 3rd place bets it all, leaving $0 AGAIN in event of 1st & 2nd bombing... you can't win with $0, 3rd placers stop doing that!! :o
Really? You are correct that you can't win with $0. But you can't win with $10,000 when another guy is gonna drop to a minimum of $18,000. While I probably wouldn't have wagered every dollar there, I would never criticize somebody who would.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

34 right.

P" Earth (5), Toys (5), Sports (5), Mover (2), Whole (2), 2 Con, 1 Vowel (2) (said "mutt" too)
Fest (1), Old (1), Lit (3), "BET" (2), Master (1), Cabbie (5)

No Lach Trash.

Instaget FJ.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

bpmod wrote:
goatman wrote:.... and 3rd place bets it all, leaving $0 AGAIN in event of 1st & 2nd bombing... you can't win with $0, 3rd placers stop doing that!! :o
Really? You are correct that you can't win with $0. But you can't win with $10,000 when another guy is gonna drop to a minimum of $18,000. While I probably wouldn't have wagered every dollar there, I would never criticize somebody who would.

Brian
3rd chucked away an easy ~50/50 shot at an extra $1,000. I don't know about you, but giving away $1,000 just for kicks deserves some criticism. 3rd can only move up to 2nd by having some money left over since 2nd MUST go big.

(Agree in this case, no shot to win, but there are many times when players in 3rd have a much better chance to win betting small but instead go big).