Wednesday, October 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

Game Recap for Show #7158, 2015-10-28

CONTESTANTS
Nikki Grillos, a freelance associate casting director from New York, New York
Chris Lastrapes, a business developer originally from Tulsa, Oklahoma
Sean Anderson, a law professor from Champaign, Illinois (whose 3-day cash winnings total $71,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Thank you, ladies and gentlemen. I hope our champion will not mind my saying that I think he's beginning to make an impression on Jeopardy! isn't he? Over $70,000 in three very special games for him. Nikki and Chris, you're gonna have to work hard today to replace him, but good luck to all of you. Here we go. The Jeopardy! Round begins now with these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PRESIDENTS' MIDDLE NAMES (4/5) (Alex: We'll give it to you.)
CONCERT HALLS (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
AUTO MAKERS (2/5)
3-LETTER RESPONSES (5/5)
TRANSLATE THE FRENCH (5/5)
FILMS OF THE '90s (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nikki: 11 R, 3 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 9 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Sean: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nikki: $4,400
Chris: $2,000
Sean: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: A couple of years ago, the Clue Crew and I traveled to the Galápagos Islands to record some clues. Nikki Grillos, you have visited the Galápagos, also.

Nikki: Yes.

Alex: What was the highlight of your trip there?

Nikki: We did a snorkeling trip at a place called Kicker Rock, and when we were under the water, there were sharks everywhere--Galápagos sharks, not too big, but still very close to us, sea turtles, dolphins. It was incredible.

Alex: It's a great way to get close to nature, isn't it?

Nikki: Yeah. [Laughs]

Alex: Chris Lastrapes from Tulsa, Oklahoma. You and your wife, I understand, are not only big movie fans, but really big movie fans.

Chris: Really big. Yes, sir. Our first date was actually we went to the Tim Burton exhibit at the LACMA that was here a few years ago. So, our wedding was very much movie-themed, so an appropriate march to walk down the aisle, my wife walked down to the theme from Jurassic Park.

[Laughter]

Alex: Now, doesn't that start with the big pounding of T. rex walking?

Chris: Well, that was her father.

Alex: Oh. [Laughs]

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Sean Anderson is our champion. And he is, I understand, wearing a good-luck charm that your wife gave you?

Sean: It's in my pocket. It's a little, plastic coin, like you might have gotten on an old-fashioned boardwalk out of a little machine or something. But she sent away for it, and it has some lines, some words from a song that we had at our wedding.

Alex: I see. Well, so far, it's working. You've won three shows in a row.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nikki found the Daily Double on the 30th clue. Sean had $800, Chris had $4,200, and Nikki was at $5,400. Nikki wagered $800.

CONCERT HALLS $800: The hall in Lahti, Finland is named after this composer
(Nikki: Who is Grieg?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
PRESIDENTS' MIDDLE NAMES $600: Abram
(Nikki: Who is Arthur?)

AUTO MAKERS $600: I think I could learn to enjoy its Ghost Series II

AUTO MAKERS $800: Perhaps its Impreza will imprezz you
(Chris: What is Nissan?)

AUTO MAKERS $1000: Don't crash its Cadenza into a credenza
(Nikki: What is Nissan?)
(Alex: Nikki, you're still in the lead, and we have just one category left.)

CONCERT HALLS $600: Manchester's Bridgewater Hall is so sonically tight that workmen in it didn't hear a 2-ton bomb this org. set off 1/2 mile away

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nikki: $4,600
Chris: $4,200
Sean: $800

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BOOKS' SUBTITLES (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
OLIVIA (5/5)
NEO GEO (3/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THINK MUSIC (3/5) (Alex: In [*], you have to name the artist famous for the lyric we will give you.)
THE U.S. MARINE CORPS (4/5)
"OO" RAH (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Sean: 12 R (including 3 rebounds and 1 DD), 2 W
Nikki: 7 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Chris: 3 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $12,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Nikki snagged the next Daily Double on the 10th clue. Sean had $2,800, Chris had $4,200, and Nikki was at $7,400. Nikki wagered $1,000.

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $800: This number: "A Portrait of My Father" by George W. Bush
(Nikki: What is 88?)
(Alex: The [*]st president.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Sean who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 18th clue. Sean had $6,000, Chris had $5,800, and Nikki was at $8,000. Sean wagered $2,000.

NEO GEO $1200: In its official name this nation now describes itself as a "Bolivarian Republic"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
THINK MUSIC $1600: "I'm thinking out loud, maybe we found love right where we are"
(Alex: [*] by Ed Sheeran.)

THINK MUSIC $2000: "You might think I'm foolish or maybe it's untrue, you might think I'm crazy, all I want is you"
(Alex: And I hope I read all of those lyrics as blandly as I possibly could so that I wouldn't help you too much.)

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $1200: "Endurance": this Antarctic explorer's "Incredible Voyage"

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $2000: This one-word title: "Confessions of an Unredeemed Drug Addict" by William S. Burroughs

NEO GEO $1600: Bombay has become Mumbai & this southern city famous for its fabrics is now known as Chennai

NEO GEO $2000: Tshwane, after a local chief, is the new name of this South African city formerly named for a Boer leader
(Sean: What is Windhoek?)

THE U.S. MARINE CORPS $2000: In 1962 he became the first Marine to orbit the Earth
(Sean: Who is... Shepard?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Sean: $8,400
Nikki: $7,600
Chris: $7,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
POPULAR PSYCHOLOGY TERMS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Stratton's Dilemma.
Sean: Wager $6,801 to cover Nikki.
Nikki: You ought to wager to cover Chris, but since you cannot win on a Triple Stumper if you do so, you ought to choose between wagering $0 or maximizing your winnings with a bet of all $7,600. You are in Stratton's Dilemma, calling for a wager of more than $7,200 (to shut out Chris) or less than $6,000 (risking the possibility of being passed from behind by Chris). Go with the smaller bet if you believe a Triple Stumper is more likely than a singleton miss by Sean.
Chris: You ought to try wagering between $201 and $5,800. This will top a $0 wager by Nikki while still beating Sean and Nikki on the Triple Stumper (should Sean wager to cover Nikki's doubled score and Nikki wager to cover your doubled score).

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Anna Freud wrote, "The infantile ego resorts to" this behavior "in order not to become aware of some painful impression"

FINAL SCORES
Chris: $7,400 - $5,700 = $1,700 (What is childish?) (2nd place)
Nikki: $7,600 + $7,201 = $14,801 (What is denial?) (New champion: $14,801)
Sean: $8,400 - $6,801 = $1,599 (What is avoidance?) (3rd place)
(Alex: She was expounding on a concept that her father, Sigmund Freud, had come up with years before.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $16,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nikki: $9,400, 18 R, 7 W (including 2 DDs)
Sean: $7,600, 16 R (including 1 DD), 3 W
Chris: $7,400, 12 R, 2 W
Combined Coryat: $24,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Nikki: 19/60 = .317
Sean: 16/59 = .271
Chris: 12/58 = .207
Team: 47/63 = .746

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FILMS OF THE '90s $600: (I'm NASCAR driver A.J. Allmendinger.) Tom Cruise plays Cole Trickle, a yankee who breaks into big-time stock car racing in this 1990 film

TRANSLATE THE FRENCH $1000: La mariee, perhaps all in white
[Applause for Nikki's run of the category]

3-LETTER RESPONSES $400: A make-out session in a restaurant or at a ballgame
(Alex: [*]--public display of affection. Correct.)

3-LETTER RESPONSES $600: Resembling a flying saucer, the theme building located here is a cultural & historical landmark

3-LETTER RESPONSES $800: This network's original series have included "Monk", "Psych" & "Suits"
(Sean: What is TBS?)

CONCERT HALLS $1000: This European city's philharmonic has a glorious showcase to play Mozart & more at its Musikfreunde

THINK MUSIC $800: "You probably think this song is about you"
(Alex: Yes. "You're So Vain".)

BOOKS' SUBTITLES $400: This horse: "An American Legend" by Laura Hillenbrand
(Nikki: Who is Black Beauty?)

OLIVIA $2000: Olivia Williams is stuck in 1940s New Mexico as a physicist's wife on this WGN series without "Project" in its title
(Nikki: What is Runway?)
(Alex: You got it. And with that, you take the lead away from Nikki.)

THE U.S. MARINE CORPS $800: The Mameluke sword carried by officers dates to 1805, when the Marines rid the "shores of" this place of pirates
(Nikki: What is Montezuma?)

THE U.S. MARINE CORPS $1600: Marine recruits receive basic training in one of 2 places: Parris Island, S.C. or this Southern California city
(Chris: What is Camp Pendleton?)

CORRECT RESPONSES
Jean Sibelius
James Garfield
Rolls-Royce
Subaru
Kia
the IRA (the Irish Republican Army)
Venezuela
Ed Sheeran
The Cars
Sir Ernest Shackleton
Junkie
Madras
Pretoria
John Glenn
denial
Days of Thunder
bride
PDA
LAX
USA
Vienna
Carly Simon
Seabiscuit
Manhattan
Tripoli
San Diego

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Wed Oct 28, 2015 11:47 am

Popular Psychology Terms

Anna Freud wrote, "The infantile ego resorts to" this behavior "in order not to become aware of some painful impression."
Spoiler
Show
What is denial? Chris said "childish"; Sean said "avoidance".
Chris Lastrapes: $7,400-$5,700=$1,700

Nikki Grillos: $7,600+$7,201=$14,801

Sean Anderson: $8,400-$6,801=$1,599

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:29 pm

Lach Trash: The Cars, 41.

WLT IBM on Three Letters for $200? There are lots of three-letter companies.

Surprised myself by running French.

I thought the Auto Makers were quite obscure. I didn't know there was more than just a Rolls-Royce, and I've NHO Sienna, Cadenza or Impreza.

Seabiscuit/Black Beauty seemed like a coinflip unless you knew the author.

Ran "Oo" Rah, all but Ed Sheeran (didn't know he had any other hits besides "The A-Team") in Think Music.

No guess on FJ! Didn't know "Denial" was a psychology term.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:32 pm

Congrats to Nikki on her win. I had 35 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Garfield, Rolls-Royce, IRA, The Cars, and John Glenn. I also got the missed Daily Doubles of Sibelius and 41, and I got FJ.

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:35 pm

TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT IBM on Three Letters for $200? There are lots of three-letter companies.
Think, as in ThinkPad

I guessed Denial, but I had no confidence in it. my SO said repression and that sounded good too, but not popular.

Ran French, 90's movies.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 7:37 pm

What an ugly game with a lot of ill-advised negs and more timid wagering on the DD's. It was fitting that "Subaru" was a TS. :D

I had no familiarity with the Freud quote; my guess was "pleasure-seeking." It was one of those YEKIOYD things. Good job by Nikki with the sole solve (as well as running the French category), but she also missed two very easy DD's (after betting next to nothing on them, so the main thing she accomplished was keeping the DD's away from her opponents, rather than taking advantage of them. But $800 on her SJ-round DD????????).

At least today's 3-letter word category left no doubt about how long each response had to be. :)

So does Sean end up the alternate for the TOC (barring someone else going on a run in the next 7 episodes)?
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:03 pm

TOTAL PRECALL: When I saw "Presidential Middle Names" on the board, I was 100 percent certain we'd see Gamaliel. On the other hand, I was expecting The Modern Prometheus in the literary sub-titles category, so I'm not a mentalist. Yet.

I must admit, I laughed very hard at Nikki's guess of "Runway" for a TV series set in New Mexico without "Project" in the title.

silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:05 pm

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: WLT IBM on Three Letters for $200? There are lots of three-letter companies.
Think, as in ThinkPad
"Think" was in quotes in the clue. "Think" was catchphrase or motto for IBM, although I don't know if that association is well known over the last 25 years. The ThinkPad is now owned by Lenovo.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm

Maybe you aren't sure if John Glenn was in the Marines, but why didn't Chris or Nikki take a stab at that last clue where a correct response puts them into the lead?

No chance for me on FJ. My bloodbath continues.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:07 pm

silverscreentest wrote:
OSXpert wrote:
Think, as in ThinkPad
"Think" was in quotes in the clue. "Think" was catchphrase or motto for IBM, although I don't know if that association is well known over the last 25 years. The ThinkPad is now owned by Lenovo.
Hence, Apple's longtime slogan was "Think Different."

Wait a sec...How meta!

lisa0012

Post by lisa0012 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:18 pm

As a psychologist, I did not like FJ! I expected it to be something I could overthink, and it was. Upon further research I have learned that Anna Freud did work specifically on denial, but I never really studied her except to know that she continued her father's work. *shrugs*

doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:27 pm

No one could get going. French category was greek to me.

I don't like these kind of FJ. Didn't get it either.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:44 pm

Bamaman wrote:Maybe you aren't sure if John Glenn was in the Marines, but why didn't Chris or Nikki take a stab at that last clue where a correct response puts them into the lead?
I might be able to excuse the two yungins' for not knowing Glenn was a Marine, but that should be pavlov for anyone over 40.
I couldn't tell you who the second Marine to orbit the earth was, but I'm pretty sure it was well after 1962. And I also don't think J! is about to ask for that anytime soon.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:47 pm

Category 13 wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Maybe you aren't sure if John Glenn was in the Marines, but why didn't Chris or Nikki take a stab at that last clue where a correct response puts them into the lead?
I might be able to excuse the two yungins' for not knowing Glenn was a Marine, but that should be pavlov for anyone over 40.
I couldn't tell you who the second Marine to orbit the earth was, but I'm pretty sure it was well after 1962. And I also don't think J! is about to ask for that anytime soon.
I'm over 40 and didn't remember Glenn was a Marine, but that detail was surplusage. Glenn was the first American to orbit the Earth.

And it's been said before: being young is no excuse for not knowing history.

(I was more shocked at Shackleton being a TS, BTW)
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

MTGcollegestudent

Post by MTGcollegestudent » Wed Oct 28, 2015 8:59 pm

Well...it seems that Michael Bilow has made it out of the clear and was saved by a low-scoring game. I was hoping that Sean would have brought the same confidence he had in his three games to this one. Unfortunately, that did not happen. All Michael Bilow can do now is wait another 12 days to see if he's gonna make it out in the clear and hope the other challengers would dethrone the champion, one after another. The thing is, I have noticed that prior after Matt Jackson's run, the players have been going more multiple wins and not as much going one win after one win. After Arthur Chu's loss, there were multiple times where there have been 1-time champs 9 times. With Julia, after her loss, there have been multiple champs all the way, and that was where it almost shook up the 4-time champs from Molly Lalonde almost getting a 5th win. 9 times where multiple champions have kept going at it! 9 TIMES!!! On an overall emphasis, I'm just hoping that Michael hopes that the other challengers go out for blood, dethroning the champ one by one, making sure that nobody replaces him in the Tournament of Champions.
Jeopardy! is like History. It's a mixed bag of categories that try to test your knowledge to see if you know or can recall answers that seem familiar to the viewer.

mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:01 pm

43 right.

President (5), Concert (3), Auto (1), 3-Letter (4), French (4), 90's Films (4)
Books (3), Olivia (3), Neo (4), Think (3), Marine (5), "OO" (4)

Lach Trash: "James Garfield", "Irish Republican Army", "41"- DD, "Madras", "John Glenn"

No good idea for FJ, just a half-hearted guess of "cognitive."

sarisson

Post by sarisson » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:22 pm

hbomb1947 wrote: (I was more shocked at Shackleton being a TS, BTW)
I was too, but it was undervalued. His expedition should be more famous- I remember there was a miniseries on it at least a decade ago- but Endurance is not a well-known book.
This game was a negfest; I think my $27,000 exceeded the combined Coryat. I had 36 right and no negs, but would've bet a ton of money on that "Neo Geo" DD and answered incorrectly with Colombia. I had "regression" for Final, because 1. I'd heard of infantile regression and 2. it rhymed with "impression."
In for a second lap

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:27 pm

hbomb1947 wrote: (Glenn was a Marine), but that detail was surplusage. Glenn was the first American to orbit the Earth.
That was my immediate reaction to the clue.
After a quick bit of research, it turns out that Glenn was the only U.S. Marine to fly a space mission in either the Mercury or Gemini programs.
hbomb1947 wrote: And it's been said before: being young is no excuse for not knowing history.
Yep.

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Just because Glenn was the first American in orbit didn't mean he was the first marine. My immediate thought was Glenn, but then I figured any one of the original seven could've been a marine, so I wouldn't have buzzed in.
Total game show career losings = $171,522