Monday, October 17, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, October 17, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #6226, 2011-10-17

CONTESTANTS
Jeff Dufour, an online editor from Washington, D.C.
Lanny Timan, a business manager from Chicago, Illinois
Joe Koster, a telephone technician from Pelham, New Hampshire (whose 1-day cash winnings total $25,201)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Hi, everyone, and welcome to the show. Good to have you with us once again. Lanny M--and Jeff, the newcomers--welcome, aboard. A word of encouragement to you--on Friday's program, Joe started off very slowly, was in a negative situation for quite a while, and then came on and on and on, and finally wound up winning more than $25,000. So don't be discouraged at any moment during the match. Let's go to work in round one. Here are the categories for you. First off...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE Is HAVE IT (5/5)
THE LAND OF THE BIBLE (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
NAME DROPPING AT THE MALL (4/5)
FATS (4/5)
CARBS (4/5)
PRO TEENS (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 9 R, 0 W
Joe: 9 R, 1 W
Lanny: 9 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Lanny: $2,800
Jeff: $1,600
Joe: $1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Jeff Dufour, from Washington, D.C., is an online editor now, but he spent five years as a restaurant and food critic, which means to me, although it may not be true, that you got a lot of free meals. Is that right? Or did you have to pay for your meals if you were going to critique them?

Jeff: Usually you would pay and then get reimbursed.

Alex: Ahh. Okay.

Jeff: Some good ones and some not so good ones.

Alex: Yeah? Worst meal you ever had--what was it? What kind of food were they serving?

Jeff: Uh, it was probably... Afghan. Not that Afghan food is bad, but in this case, it was particularly... deplorable.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Lanny Timan, from Chicago, Illinois, once got into a tug-of-war with a monkey over a book?

Lanny: Yes, Alex. My husband Rich and I were visiting a monkey forest in Asia and unfortunately, one--one of the monkeys snuck up behind me and, uh, tried to grab a book that I had in my hand. Well, it was a book that I had borrowed from the public library. It was a travel guide book. And I couldn't let that book go, because I knew I would never be able to explain it to the librarian that I lost a book to a monkey, so...

Alex: Good move on your part. You won the battle with the monkey.

Alex: Joe Koster from Pelham, New Hampshire. Uh... when you got married, a number of guests were in costume. Why is that?

Joe: Uh, because my wife Karen and I got married on Halloween, and it was the best Saturday in the calendar that year. Uh, some guests did come in costume. My favorite was probably her cousin April, who wore a blue outfit with a telephone cord and a rubber chicken on it, so "chicken cord-on blue."

Alex: I asked. I know. I asked.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lanny found the Daily Double on the 21st clue. Joe had $1,200, Lanny had $4,000, and Jeff was at $2,400. Lanny wagered $1,500.

THE LAND OF THE BIBLE $600: People of Shinar built a structure called this "because the Lord did there confound the language of all the earth"

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
CARBS $1000: This acid also called phenol is used as a disinfectant

NAME DROPPING AT THE MALL $800: "Your personal jeweler since 1912":
____ Bridge

FATS $400: PUFAs, short for these healthier fats, are found mostly in plant-based foods & oils
(Lanny: What is purified fats?)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Lanny: $6,500
Jeff: $4,800
Joe: $4,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, October 17, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
YOU'VE GOT THE WRITE STUFF, JAMES (3/5)
GEORGIA GIRL (3/5)
COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
WORD DERIVATIONS (4/5)
ON A LAST-NAME BASIS (4/5) (Alex: And we will need the last name from you.)
COUNTRIES OF AFRIC"A" (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double) (Alex: Each country will end with the letter "A".)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Jeff: 11 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W
Joe: 6 R, 3 W
Lanny: 5 R (including 1 DD), 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,800

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lanny snagged the next Daily Double on the 7th clue. Joe had $4,400, Lanny had $8,500, and Jeff was at $8,000. Lanny wagered $1,500.

COUNTRIES OF AFRIC"A" $800: Of the countries that fit the category, it stretches farthest east

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lanny who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 23rd clue. Joe had $8,800, Lanny had $11,200, and Jeff was at $9,200. Lanny wagered $1,800.

COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE $800: In 1924 North Carolina's Trinity College was endowed by a tobacco magnate & changed its name to this
(Lanny: What is... UNC? I don't know.)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ON A LAST-NAME BASIS $1200: 16th century artist Michelangelo

COUNTRIES OF AFRIC"A" $1600: In books Precious Ramotswe of the No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency is this country's only female gumshoe
(Joe: What is South Africa?)
(Lanny: What is Kenya?)

WORD DERIVATIONS $1600: "Growing" from the Italian, this music term means a gradual, steady increase in loudness

YOU'VE GOT THE WRITE STUFF, JAMES $1600: In 2011 Oprah sat down with you again--to discuss the fallout from your "Million Little Pieces" scandal

YOU'VE GOT THE WRITE STUFF, JAMES $2000: Already a Joan Crawford movie, your "Mildred Pierce" came to TV in a 2011 version more faithful to the book

GEORGIA GIRL $800: No wonder she wanted to take a "Midnight Train" back there--she was born in Atlanta in 1944
(Joe: Who is Aretha Franklin?)

GEORGIA GIRL $2000: This actress who went to school in Augusta didn't know 'bout birthin' babies in "Gone with the Wind"
(Jeff: Who is Hattie McDaniel?)

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Jeff: $14,800
Lanny: $9,400
Joe: $8,000

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
2011 EVENTS

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Jeff: Wager $4,001 to cover Lanny.
Lanny: You have the hope of surpassing Jeff if you come up with the correct response. Bet at least $6,601 to force Jeff to wager to win while also protecting your position from being usurped by Joe.
Joe: Your only hope of a win is that you're the only one to give a correct response, so bet $7,998 or so, leaving a few bucks behind in case someone wagers it all.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
To mark an historic visit, on May 17 an Irish army band played this song followed by Ireland's anthem

FINAL SCORES
Joe: $8,000 + $7,998 = $15,998 (What is God Save the Queen?) (2nd place: $2,000)
Lanny: $9,400 + $6,601 = $16,001 (What is God Save the Queen?) (New champion: $16,001)
Jeff: $14,800 - $4,001 = $10,799 (What is Hail to the Chief?) (3rd place: $1,000)
(Alex: Yes, it was the first visit by a British monarch to Ireland since Ireland achieved its independence.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Jeff: $14,800, 20 R, 1 W
Lanny: $9,600, 14 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W (including 1 DD)
Joe: $8,000, 15 R, 4 W
Combined Coryat: $32,400

BATTING AVERAGES
Jeff: 20/58 = .345
Joe: 16/58 = .276
Lanny: 15/61 = .246
Team: 51/63 = .810

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
FATS $600: The fat droplets in milk carry most of this vitamin aka retinol, so the FDA requires skim milk to be fortified
(Joe: What is vitamin D?)

THE LAND OF THE BIBLE $800: (Sarah of the Clue Crew stands in the Jordan River in Israel.) In the Book of Joshua, as soon as the men carrying this holy object set foot here in the Jordan River, it dried up, allowing them to cross

THE Is HAVE IT $400: This former Chrysler CEO has a Boston-based foundation for diabetes research
(Alex: Yes, with less than a minute to go.)

YOU'VE GOT THE WRITE STUFF, JAMES $800: You met Samuel Johnson May 16, 1763; it was the start of a beautiful friendship
(Joe: Who was Pope?)

COLLEGE KNOWLEDGE $1200: Notre Dame's "Word of Life" mural, depicting Christ as a teacher, is known on the football-loving campus as this

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Tower of Babel
carbolic
Ben
poly-unsaturated fats
Somalia
Duke
Buonarroti
Botswana
crescendo
James Frey
James M. Cain
Gladys Knight
Butterfly McQueen
"God Save The Queen"
vitamin A
the Ark of the Covenant
Lee Iacocca
(James) Boswell
Touchdown Jesus
legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, October 17, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by legendneverdies »

I'm not spoilng anything, but this week's Show Guide this week page on the Sony official J! site sure the heck does.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

legendneverdies wrote:I'm not spoilng anything, but this week's Show Guide this week page on the Sony official J! site sure the heck does.
Specifically, the splash video spoils the result of a game that (as of this writing) has yet to be aired (at least in Los Angeles). --Bob
Turd Ferguson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Turd Ferguson »

Bob78164 wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:I'm not spoilng anything, but this week's Show Guide this week page on the Sony official J! site sure the heck does.
Specifically, the splash video spoils the result of a game that (as of this writing) has yet to be aired (at least in Los Angeles). --Bob
By my count, it spoils at least three games in the first four seconds... impressive!
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

Jeff would have had a lock tie had he buzzed in on the last clue in DJ! and were right instead of wrong.
Last edited by legendneverdies on Mon Oct 17, 2011 8:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

2011 Events
To mark an historic visit, on May 17 an Irish Army band played this song followed by Ireland's anthem.
Spoiler
What is God Save the Queen? Jeff said Hail to the Chief.
Jeff DuFour: $14,800-$4,001=$10,799
Lanny Timan: $9,400+$6,601=$16,001...now a 1-day champion with $16,001
Joe Koster: $8,000+$7,998=$15,998
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I was really impressed by Joe on Friday. I don't know what happened to him in this game. The board wasn't super hard. The J! round was easy, but I found the difficulty of the DJ! round to be all over the place.

An $800 clue in an "African Countries that end in 'A'" category is another place where a true Daily Double would be in order. I was disappointed that Lanny bet small on it. That Botswana clue at $1600 was wicked hard, though.

I had no clue on FJ and guessed "Stars and Stripes Forever." I should have just gone with the obvious.
barandall800
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by barandall800 »

I fell for the "Hail To The Chief" negbait just like Jeff did. My mind was stuck on Obama's recent Ireland visit (which, as a quick Google search tells me, just happened to be a week or so after the Queen's), and I had a high enough confidence level that I foolishly didn't go for anything else.

I had a surprisingly brutal time with that Bible category. Blurted out Badgley instead of Jillette for Penn's last name, before remembering that Penn Badgley is the actor, not the magician. :) Trans fats seemed a bit overvalued at $1000 in the J! Round.

Also, that "chicken cord on blue" costume idea sounded pretty clever. :D

(ETA: Today was my first time watching Jeopardy! 'live' in months, and my first time watching it whatsoever in at least a few weeks. Woot woot!)
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

oh hey, lanny was at the taping day for last week's games too, so i met her. i guess she didn't get on the show on monday and came back for the first show tuesday morning. just like me the week before, actually. she seemed both wicked smart and full of confidence, so i was surprised when she went low on the $800 afric"a" DD.

tough way to lose for jeff, who played a strong game.
katiedidwhat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by katiedidwhat »

Congrats to Lanny, who was one of the held over contestants from the previous day's taping! I'm impressed that they had a clue about Hurricane Irene, since this was taped on the Tuesday after Irene hit. Talk about quick turnaround!

When the FJ clue was revealed, I immediately said "Hail to the Chief." But shortly thereafter I realized it was "God Save the Queen," though I'm not sure I would have been able to get it written in time.

What is with the DDs in DJ being in the second row? That's five in the last four games.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I thought Botswana was super easy, but I have relatives who have worked and lived there and my grandfather and mother have read all the books and watched the HBO series.

Sometimes I'm better off ignoring the category. The Is Have It had me trying to find an "I" university in Ithaca instead of picking off the cinch Cornell response.

Jeff might have to avoid the 2012 Olympics if the British athletes do well. Losing on any kind of music FJ clue makes the song never want to be heard again. 34 years later (Name That Tune "Bid-A-Note" loss) my dad does not want to hear Nat King Cole's "Too Young."

Lanny's confidence after hitting 2 DDs for 1500 each made me laugh. Her third DD wager? 1800. Ooh, High Roller! Hope Heels didn't have a drink in his mouth when her incorrect response came out.
Andromus

Post by Andromus »

Another "Hail to the Chief" response here. That's what I get for getting overconfident in my answer and shutting down I suppose, but I'm not sure extra cogitation would have helped me come up with the correct response anyway.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

jpahk wrote:oh hey, lanny was at the taping day for last week's games too, so i met her. i guess she didn't get on the show on monday and came back for the first show tuesday morning. just like me the week before, actually. she seemed both wicked smart and full of confidence, so i was surprised when she went low on the $800 afric"a" DD.
Maybe she felt it was a weaker subject. Or maybe she just felt it wasn't worth the gamble. After all, up to that point she'd had pretty good control of first place. It must have surprised her something awful when Jeff suddenly found the sweet spot in buzzer timing, went on a tear from last place, passed her, and just kept going.

The smart and confident vibe you mention came across onscreen as well. When she told the story about the monkey trying to steal her book, I turned to my wife and said, "The animal would have to be a lot bigger than a monkey before I'd bet against Lanny."
tough way to lose for jeff, who played a strong game.
No kidding! He had the adrenaline rush of blazing into first place and building a huge lead right at the end. And he had, as legendneverdies pointed out, a potential lock tie on the very last clue before FJ.

Here's what had to go wrong:

1. He had to miss that final clue in regular play. (He did.) ... AND

2. He had to miss the FJ clue. (He did.) ... AND

3. Lanny or Joe had to get FJ right. (And they both did.)

Change just one of those outcomes and we'd be seeing him tomorrow (possibly alongside Lanni). Tough, tough, tough way to lose.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

StevenH wrote:An $800 clue in an "African Countries that end in 'A'" category is another place where a true Daily Double would be in order.
I'm not sure about that, I'm a geography geek, and I wouldn't have TDD'd it, possibly because there's 22 such countries (I may have missed one or two in my count, but that's almost half of Africa's sovereign states), and partly because, there, but for the grace of God, the $1600 clue wasn't the DD.
StevenH wrote:I was disappointed that Lanny bet small on it.
He may not have confidence in the category. Were the category "Super Bowl winners" and I was on, you'd probably be berating me for not TDD'ing it ("There's only 45 of those!" (Or probably less, as I'm sure some teams have won more than once)), and I'd counter with "Sports are my anti-wheelhouse". I wouldn't bet $500 like Leigh on Wednesday, but it would have been conservative.
StevenH wrote:That Botswana clue at $1600 was wicked hard, though.
Indeed, that was the only one without a good TOM, and the only one I clammed. (Coincidence?)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

MarkBarrett wrote:Jeff might have to avoid the 2012 Olympics if the British athletes do well. Losing on any kind of music FJ clue makes the song never want to be heard again.
Heck, the Brits are hosting it, even if they are shut out of gold medals (hey, could happen, Canada won its first gold on home soil on its third hosting attempt (Vancouver)), the anthem is bound to be played a few times, especially in opening and closing ceremonies. And, if Liechtenstein wins a gold medal, he'll hear it. ;)

I was pleased when Lanny won, she played really well (at least the best out of the three). Joe also seemed happy for her as well.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
Indeed, that was the only one without a good TOM, and the only one I clammed. (Coincidence?)
The name with "tsw" in the middle wasn't enough?

I said "Hail to the Chief" too, because I knew of the joke where Obama said he was looking for his missing apostrophe. I think somewhere I knew of Elizabeth's visit, but knowledge of Obama's drowned that out.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

That was seriously wicked neg bait on FJ! I thought of 'God Save the Queen' first, and then switched to 'Hail to the Chief.' I imagine they very well could have played the sequence beginning with 'Hail to the Chief' about a week after the one in question, and both visits could conceivably be termed historic. Not enough to distinguish one from the other, IMO, to justify that order of bait. Sad for Jeff, who finished with the look of a champion and maybe more, and who arguably deserved the win.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

seaborgium wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
The name with "tsw" in the middle wasn't enough?
I didn't even pick up on that. d'oh!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Am I the only one who went with "The Star Spangled Banner"? I remembered O'Bama's visit, and figured they were going for another anthem. I knew something was wrong since I wouldn't call O'Bama's visit "historic", but I had forgotten about the QEII. Another crummy start to the week.