Thursday, October 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, October 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7159, 2015-10-29

CONTESTANTS
Julie Stapel, an attorney from La Grange Park, Illinois
Damien Martin, a travel adviser from Overland Park, Kansas
Nikki Grillos, a freelance associate casting director from New York, New York (whose 1-day cash winnings total $14,801)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, all. Johnny. Hi, folks. Good to have you with us today. Julie and Damien, welcome aboard. You're facing Nikki, who defeated a pretty substantial champion on yesterday's program. So let's find out how today works out for all of you. Here come the categories now for the Jeopardy! Round. We start off today with this one...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
BAD NEWS (3/3)
GOING BANANAS (5/5)
TV CREATORS (3/3)
LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT (3/5)
ART (3/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
ENDS IN "OON" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nikki: 11 R (including 2 rebounds), 1 W
Julie: 8 R (including 4 rebounds), 4 W (including 1 DD)
Damien: 3 R, 6 W

Clues revealed: 26
Triple Stumpers: 3
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,200

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Nikki: $2,000
Julie: $800
Damien: -$1,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Many years ago, during tough times here in the United States, a number of young men fled to Canada to avoid military service. Julie Stapel, you're an attorney from Illinois. You fled to Canada to avoid something different.

Julie: Yeah, being in the Junior Miss Pageant.

Alex: Really?

Julie: Yeah. I was nominated to be the representative of the debate team in the Junior Miss Pageant, and I was like, "No." And, uh, the Shakespeare class I was in, uh, was doing a weekend trip to Atratford-on-Av--or Stratford, you know, in Ontario. So I said, "I'm doing that." I joined the generations of dodgers before me and went to Canada.

Alex: Okay. No regrets.

Julie: No!

Alex: All right.

Alex: Damien Martin is a travel adviser from Kansas who likes to think of himself as someone who makes people's dreams come true.

Damien: Yes. And I actually know a lot more about airports than I just let on.

[Laughter]

Damien: But yeah, we like to use the term "travel adviser", not "travel agent", because I'm not just gonna take your order, book your flight, and say goodbye. I'm gonna get to know you so I can plan a customized vacation for you.

Alex: Have you also gotten to know a lot of the places you recommend to the people who come to you for help?

Damien: Yes, yes. I--one of the perks of the job is that you have to know what you're talking about, so you have to go travel to all these places.

Alex: Good job to have.

Damien: Yes, it is.

Alex: I've always wanted to be a travel adviser.

Alex: Nikki Grillos is from New York. And she started a theater company with friends from college.

Nikki: Yes!

Alex: What kind of a theater company are we talking about here?

Nikki: It's-it's really just a group of college friends, and at NYU, we were in a group called Schmutz, believe it or not. We're not of that level group. And it was the only group that offered non-majors theatrical opportunity.

Alex: Mm-hm.

Nikki: So we just kept that going, and we're open to nine-to-fivers, people who don't work in theater.

Alex: So it's amateursville.

Nikki: It can be, but we've also launched several careers.

Alex: Oh, good. And you produce schmutz?

Nikki: Schmutz.

Alex: Okay.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie found the Daily Double on the 20th clue. Nikki had $2,600, Damien was in the red with -$1,400, and Julie was at $1,000. Julie made it a True Daily Double, wagering $1,000.

ART $400: It's the Italian term for a mural technique using water-based paint on lime plaster; the Sistine Chapel has examples
(Julie: What's imbroglio?)

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT $400: On March 23, 1963 JFK dedicated this airport, saying, "There is no other airport in the world which serves so many people"
(Julie: What is Hartsfield, in Atlanta?)
(Damien: What is Idlewild Airport?)
(Alex: Julie, it was closer to your home. It's [*].)
(Julie: Oh.)

LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT $1000: Thanks to FedEx, this city has the USA's largest cargo airport, handling over 4.3 million tons each year
(Julie: What is Nashville?)
(Damien: What is Charlotte?)
(Alex: What is [*]? The home of FedEx.)

ART $800: (Jimmy of the Clue Crew presents.) A self-taught late bloomer who only began to paint seriously in his 40s, this French artist earned the admiration of avant-garde artists with what is often called his naive style

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Nikki: $5,800
Julie: $800
Damien: -$1,400

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, October 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
WHAT'S YOUR MOVIE NUMBER? (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
APPROXIMATE WEIGHTS & MEASURES (2/2)
IN THE DICTIONARY (5/5)
A LIFE ON THE "B" LIST (4/5)
NEW MEXICO (2/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
LAND OF ENCHANTMENT (2/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Nikki: 10 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 0 W
Julie: 6 R, 0 W
Damien: 3 R, 2 W (including 1 DD)

Clues revealed: 27
Triple Stumpers: 7
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $11,600

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Damien snagged the next Daily Double on the 1st clue. Nikki had $5,800, Damien was in the red with -$1,400, and Julie was at $800. Damien wagered $2,000.

NEW MEXICO $2000: This river that rises in northern New Mexico gave its name to the Southwest's counterpart to Paul Bunyan
(Alex: Damien?)
(Damien: What is the Colorado?)
(Alex: No. The counterpart to Paul Bunyan is Pecos Bill, so we're talking about [*].)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Nikki who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 10th clue. Nikki had $9,800, Damien was in the red with -$3,400, and Julie was at $800. Nikki wagered $1,200.

WHAT'S YOUR MOVIE NUMBER? $800: 1994:
A quintet of social occasions, one not-so-happy

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
LAND OF ENCHANTMENT $2000: This Terry Pratchett "world" sits on elephants that stand on a great turtle

NEW MEXICO $1600: "Z" if you know that this Pueblo reservation is nestled in a valley 150 miles west of Albuquerque

NEW MEXICO $1200: We'll poll you & ask about this city founded in 1881 that calls itself "the Indian Capital of the World"
(Alex: Nikki, you knew that, but you didn't ring in.)

WHAT'S YOUR MOVIE NUMBER? $2000: 1975:
Robert Redford is a CIA researcher
(Alex: Damien, you might want to start at the top, the easier clues.)
[Laughter]

LAND OF ENCHANTMENT $1200: In one Seuss tale this place is found in a speck of dust; in another, near Mt. Crumpit

LAND OF ENCHANTMENT $1600: New York, aka the "City of" these in "The Mortal Instruments" series, has faeries, warlocks & Shadowhunters

A LIFE ON THE "B" LIST $2000: Born Ma-ka-tai-me-she-kia-kiak in 1767, he gave his colorful name to an 1832 war

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Nikki: $15,000
Julie: $8,000
Damien: -$1,000

PREFINAL REMARKS
Alex: And--oh, darn--Damien, you did it again. Boo, hiss. You finish at negative $1,000, which means you will not be around with the ladies to play in Final Jeopardy! But you'll go home with $1,000. So it's Julie and Nikki dealing with this subject in our Final today--AFRICA. Oh, and I bet you he wishes he were around for that. We'll reveal the clue when we come back.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AFRICA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Crush for first place.
Nikki: Wager $1,001 to cover Julie.
Julie: You have the hope of surpassing Nikki if you come up with the correct response. Bet all $8,000.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
On the Horn of Africa, it's the only country whose name in English begins with a silent letter

FINAL SCORES
Julie: $8,000 - $8,000 = $0 (What is Ivory Crus) (2nd place)
Nikki: $15,000 + $1,001 = $16,001 (What is Djibouti?) (14802-day champion: $16,001)
(Alex: And as I was reading that clue, I looked out towards the audience, and Damien was seated there, and he wrote down a response immediately.)
[During the credits, Damien returned to the stage and held up his paper showing the correct response.]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $13,800

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Nikki: $14,600, 21 R (including 1 DD), 1 W
Julie: $9,000, 14 R, 4 W (including 1 DD)
Damien: $1,000, 6 R, 8 W (including 1 DD)
Combined Coryat: $24,600

BATTING AVERAGES
Nikki: 22/59 = .373
Julie: 14/59 = .237
Damien: 6/59 = .102
Team: 42/63 = .667

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT $200: Until 1929, you could visit the Gala Amusement Park; on-site now, runways at this airport, named for a New York City mayor

LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT $600: This London airport has but 2 runways, yet served 73.4 million passengers in 2014
(Damien: What is Gatwick?)

LET'S GO TO THE AIRPORT $800: The surrounding terrain is reflected in the design of the international airport seen here that serves this U.S. state capital
(Damien: What is Santa Fe?)

BAD NEWS $400: An April 26, 1986 test at this power station ended up producing a radioactive cloud more than 3,000 feet high
(Nikki: What is Three Mile Island?)

GOING BANANAS $400: "Fun Facts" at this company's website include "The average American eats 27 pounds of bananas each year!"
(Julie: What is Dole?)

TV CREATORS $400: He went through the nightmare of combat in the Philippines before creating "The Twilight Zone"
(Damien: Who is... [Sighs])

ART $200: In 1924 poet Andre Breton published a manifesto of this movement that joined the dream world with the everyday
(Damien: What is Dadaism?)

ART $1000: This 1642 masterpiece by Rembrandt portrays members of an Amsterdam civic militia company
(Alex: Less than a minute now.)

GOING BANANAS $1000: A 2013 bon appetit article called this, not apple pie, the "most American diner dessert"
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

NEW MEXICO $800: New Mexico's state insect is a 2-inch long wasp named for this type of large spider it preys on

A LIFE ON THE "B" LIST $1200: He's seen here after devoting more than 50 years of his life to representing West Virginia in Washington
(Alex: And you're out of the hole on the plus side with less than a minute to go, Damien.)

APPROXIMATE WEIGHTS & MEASURES $1600: In "Porgy and Bess" Porgy praises poverty by singing, "I got" this amount "o' nuttin"'
(Damien: What is nuttin'?)
[The end-of-round signal sounds.]

CORRECT RESPONSES
fresco
O'Hare
Memphis
Henri Rousseau
the Pecos River
Four Weddings and a Funeral
Discworld
the Zuni reservation
Gallup, New Mexico
Three Days of the Condor
Whoville
the City of Bones
Black Hawk
Djibouti
La Guardia
Heathrow
Denver
Chernobyl
Chiquita
(Rod) Serling
Surrealism
The Night Watch
banana cream pie
a tarantula
(Senator Robert) Byrd
plenty

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Thu Oct 29, 2015 11:31 am

Africa

On the Horn of Africa, it's the only country whose name in English begins with a silent letter.
Spoiler
Show
What is Djibouti? Julie had Ivory Coast, but it was incomplete.
Damien Martin: -$1,000

Julie Stapel: $8,000-$8,000=$0

Nikki Grillos: $15,000+1,001=$16,001; now a 2-day champion with $30,802

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 5:04 pm

I'm sorry, Damien, but we will have to rule you incorrect on FJ because you did not phrase it in the form of a question.

Julie seemed like a nice lady, but her dress made my eyes hurt. [/Fashion Huns]

Nikki had a near lock, but still kind of a bleah game. Good job by Julie to attack the bottom of the board late to make FJ matter. Both players also made the right bets in FJ, so at least we finished on a high note.

I liked Nikki's interview story. Sounds like a fun group.

I actually got FJ right today. It isn't a country I hear spoken very often, so I wasn't 100% the d was silent and also wasn't sure if it is on the horn of Africa, but it worked out for me.

grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:09 pm

Good grief. Travel advisor guy gets four negs on the airport category (would he have answered "DiBlasio" on the $200 clue?), spends all game furiously trying to get out of the hole, does, and then hops back in in the most ridiculous way. I feel for him, I really do, but man that is quality television.

Instaget FJ for a political geography fan, but how silent is that letter? Is it not possible that without the D you would pronounce it Zhibouti?

floridagator

Post by floridagator » Thu Oct 29, 2015 6:58 pm

Well shake Djibouti. When I saw Damien introduced, I said, "That's the new champion." That might be my single worst call ever.

I did a lot better than the contestants did in airports. A lot of the categories, actually. TOM on polling didn't help them get Gallup.

Missed DDs: I got fresco, Pecos.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:34 pm

I rarely travel. Off the top of my head, I think I've been in six airports in my entire life. I consider movies and television a strength.

I went 4 for 5 in Airports and 0 for 5 in Movies By The Numbers. :shock:

This was a pretty painful game to watch, overall. By the end I was yelling at Damien to stop guessing.
Last edited by MitchO on Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:35 pm

Congrats to Nikki on another win. I had 35 correct responses including three triple stumpers: Memphis, Zuni, and Whoville. I also got the missed DD of fresco, and I got FJ.

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan » Thu Oct 29, 2015 7:59 pm

That wasn't a lockout entirely due to a weak DD wager.

9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:02 pm

Damien didn't just give wrong answers, he gave stupid answers. Granted, getting the DD on the first pick of the board is dumb luck, but I did a quick Google search after that to see if the all-time worst score was in jeopardy.

Anyway, on that "Ends in -oon" category, could "dragoon" have been considered in place of "platoon" on that clue?

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:16 pm

38 R by not guessing wildly and indiscriminately. Sorry Damien, you look like a nice fellow, but gosh, you earned the benchtime. Getting FJ from the audience is worth... "Plenty of nuttin!"! :!:

Instaget FJ; 7 LT: Henri Rousseau (The Football Players); Z is for Zuni; Terry Pratchett's Discworld; ; Gallup NM (Indian Capital of the world, AKA "Native Americans" rather than citizens of India); Three Days of the Condor (All the President's Men zipped thru mind quickly but TOM redirected); Blackhawk War of 1832 (Lincoln's war); Whoville ("A person's a person, no matter how small!").
Got the missed DD on "fresco." Nikki plays well; her greatest talent lies in not guessing when she doesn't know... nicely done champ! :D

And, um, no, to above query on 'dragoon', which is mounted infantry; the specific TOM was 'part of a company' and 'led by lieutenants' which are specific to US Army rank, order and structure.
Team > Squad > Section > Platoon > Company > Battalion > Regiment > Brigade > Division > Corps.
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

teapot37

Post by teapot37 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:27 pm

Football shunted Jeopardy over to the digital sub-channel tonight, but the listings didn't reflect that as opposed to every other Thursday night game this football season, so I missed the first round. I am trying to figure out why the middle guy guessed on that last question. He was probably going to be in a lock for third anyway, so just shut up and make it to FJ. But no.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:29 pm

Instaget FJ (heck, by limiting the geographical area in play to the Horn of Africa, there were only 4 countries to choose from).

The less said about the game itself, and Nikki's DD wagering (which is a repeat of her wagering from last night), the better.

In Damien's defense, a couple of the airport clues were a little neg-baity. For example, Hartsfield vs. O'Hare. It's a little misleading to talk about JFK dedicating ORD in 1963, because that facility dates back to the 1940s, and it had actually been renamed O'Hare back in 1949. And Hartsfield and O'Hare are perennial rivals for most passenger traffic among U.S. airports, so I could see how the quote would lead one to Atlanta. Of course, once ATL was negged, someone should have tried for the rebound with ORD.

And I could see thinking "Heathrow only has 2 runways?" Although 73.4 million passengers annually was way too many for Gatwick.

Unrelatedly, I thought that Dole v. Chiquita bananas was neg-baity for the point value.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:31 pm

I thought Damien handled his situation with aplomb. That has to be painful.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm

teapot37 wrote:Football shunted Jeopardy over to the digital sub-channel tonight, but the listings didn't reflect that as opposed to every other Thursday night game this football season, so I missed the first round. I am trying to figure out why the middle guy guessed on that last question. He was probably going to be in a lock for third anyway, so just shut up and make it to FJ. But no.
Since second place pretty much had to go all in and the fact he got it right, he might have gotten second place if he clams on the last clue. (I'd have to check the scores to see if Julie could have protected second while still going for the win in FJ).

I don't have the game handy, so I don't remember what Nikki's DD wager was or why it was bad.

But he was probably able to score a free flight and hotel room on his trip, so Julie probably needed the extra grand, anyway.

Has anyone ever been able to give basically a free ad for their business during the interview?

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:37 pm

patkav wrote:I thought Damien handled his situation with aplomb. That has to be painful.
My thoughts exactly. He at least got to prove he knew FJ. I thought that was a nice touch.

I found it interesting that, while the leader had more than double the combined total of the second and third place players at the end of DJ, it wasn't a lock. That probably doesn't happen too often.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:39 pm

bpmod wrote:
patkav wrote:I thought Damien handled his situation with aplomb. That has to be painful.
My thoughts exactly. He at least got to prove he knew FJ. I thought that was a nice touch.

I found it interesting that, while the leader had more than double the combined total of the second and third place players at the end of DJ, it wasn't a lock. That probably doesn't happen too often.

Brian
Ken Jennings had a combined lock-tie over his challengers in his 75th game.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:43 pm

Bamaman wrote:
I don't have the game handy, so I don't remember what Nikki's DD wager was or why it was bad.
Nikki had a $9,800 to $800 lead over Julie and she wagered $1,200 on an $800-level DD. And then, of course, she proceeded to correctly solve the DD.
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:50 pm

This game picked up where yesterday's left off. What a barn burner.

I scratch my head at why anyone in the red would start out the DJ round by shopping for the Daily Double.
Then when Damion finds it on the first selection, after he misses to go another $2000 in the red, he continues to look for the other DD. At which he had four straight stand & stares.
Not surprised Alex suggested he switch to a top row clue. Damion decided to wait until the LTAM to take that advise.

It was predicted in Wednesday's thread that Nikki would be a single win champ but she managed to coast to another win by drawing a weak challenger. Another timid DD bet (on a second row clue) helped keep Julie in contention.
Good gets on high dollar clues by Julie late in the game to prevent FJ from being a boring excercise.
One thing I can say about Nikki is that she does know how to wager properly in Final.

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Thu Oct 29, 2015 9:23 pm

Seconded.