Thursday, October 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Thursday, October 29, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
grindcore wrote: Instaget FJ for a political geography fan, but how silent is that letter? Is it not possible that without the D you would pronounce it Zhibouti?
Jibouti. Ji- as in Jif peanut butter, -bouti as in booty.
Let me frame the question a different way. If we accept the premise that the D is silent in Djibouti, how do we pronounce it with a non-silent D?
Di-ji-boo-tee, I would guess (the first syllable being pronounced like that of Digiorno.). (Much like, for the longest time I thought it was pronounced D'jango Unchained.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
Onairb
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Onairb »

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

The D in Djibouti is as silent as the D in adjunct. Fortunately, there were only a handful of countries to choose from and one of them was less wrong than the others.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

seaborgium wrote: Let me frame the question a different way. If we accept the premise that the D is silent in Djibouti, how do we pronounce it with a non-silent D?
The D in Djibouti is silent the same way the C in "back" is silent. Or the second T in "mutt".
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:I scratch my head at why anyone in the red would start out the DJ round by shopping for the Daily Double.
Then when Damion finds it on the first selection, after he misses to go another $2000 in the red, he continues to look for the other DD. At which he had four straight stand & stares.
Not surprised Alex suggested he switch to a top row clue. Damion decided to wait until the LTAM to take that advise.
Yes, obviously when you're behind, you don't want to catch up too quickly! And why hunt the DD when you're in the red? The smart thing to do is broker a deal with your opponents that NO ONE will hunt the DD until you're in a better position to capitalize on it. Of course, hypothetically, if you can't broker that deal, the best thing to do is try to keep THEM from getting the DD. But hypotheticals are stupid. Let's stick to reality where contestants are allowed to negotiate.

As someone else mentioned, it's not clear that Damien was DD hunting. If he was, he should have started with the $1200 clues rather than the $2000 ones. Starting with the $2000 clues indicates he was trying to exit the red as quickly as possible, thus positioning himself better for the possibility of uncovering a DD. This didn't work out which obviously means it was a bad strategy.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

Damien on Twitter:
@Damien_J_Martin
.@Jeopardy Irony of ironies: changed my flight home and went from a nonstop to being routed through Albuquerque #newmexicoruinedmylife
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

9021amyers wrote:Damien didn't just give wrong answers, he gave stupid answers.
Gatwick wasn't a stupid answer. It was a travel adviser answer. He probably figured there was no way Heathrow had only two runways. So he went with the other major airport in London. I did the same thing.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

This episode got me to wondering ... does anyone know what the average number of incorrect responses is per game?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

patkav wrote:I thought Damien handled his situation with aplomb. That has to be painful.
Definitely on both points! Kudos and sympathy to Damien all at the same time. Have we ever had a situation where a contestant finished in the red and still got to be on stage with Alex during the closing credits? I think Damien just made a little bit of J! history there.

EDIT: I forgot the reason I started this post. Here ya go, Dave Kendall:
https://youtu.be/1X1W6DocB7A
BobF

Post by BobF »

Instaget thanks in part to my son's soccer team. During practices, we play a game called World Cup, and there's always a kid who names his team after this country.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote:
9021amyers wrote:Damien didn't just give wrong answers, he gave stupid answers.
Gatwick wasn't a stupid answer. It was a travel adviser answer. He probably figured there was no way Heathrow had only two runways. So he went with the other major airport in London. I did the same thing.
Still, he should know there's no way in hell that Gatwick does 75M passengers. Also, he should know that Gatwick is the busiest single-use runway in the world (yes, it has another, shorter runway, but that can only be used if the main runway is unusable).
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

opusthepenguin wrote:
patkav wrote:I thought Damien handled his situation with aplomb. That has to be painful.
Definitely on both points! Kudos and sympathy to Damien all at the same time. Have we ever had a situation where a contestant finished in the red and still got to be on stage with Alex during the closing credits? I think Damien just made a little bit of J! history there.

Thanks Opus! I'll watch later when I'm not at work. (I knew there was something interesting after FJ! based on a post Damien had on Facebook, and Alex's comments about him writing made me guess what it was, but not two minutes later, after the winner was declared, my autopilot of pressing "stop" then "delete" kicked in, it was only after I started reading this thread that I remembered too late I wanted to watch longer.

As to the other part, as far as I can remember, it's been policy for some time to have all three chat at the end. (Kristen wasn't chatting with Alex by herself back in March!). The one exception I can think of was a recent Kids Week contestant that finished in the red and was too upset to see Alex, I want to say it was Thomas Hurley, but my memory says it may have been a girl.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
grindcore wrote: Instaget FJ for a political geography fan, but how silent is that letter? Is it not possible that without the D you would pronounce it Zhibouti?
Let me frame the question a different way. If we accept the premise that the D is silent in Djibouti, how do we pronounce it with a non-silent D?
@caknuck
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

JFK only has two runways. It's not that unusual.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

JonathanHenke wrote:Damien on Twitter:
@Damien_J_Martin
.@Jeopardy Irony of ironies: changed my flight home and went from a nonstop to being routed through Albuquerque #newmexicoruinedmylife
So, he *really* took a wrong turn at Albuquerque?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

grindcore wrote:Good grief. Travel advisor guy gets four negs on the airport category (would he have answered "DiBlasio" on the $200 clue?), spends all game furiously trying to get out of the hole, does, and then hops back in in the most ridiculous way. I feel for him, I really do, but man that is quality television.

Instaget FJ for a political geography fan, but how silent is that letter? Is it not possible that without the D you would pronounce it Zhibouti?
I feel for the guy too, but seriously, who's to blame for his performance? I know people do strange things under the lights, but 4 negs in what should have been a wheelhouse category for him? Oh, my aching ears!

And "I got nuttin' of nuttin'???" Somewhere Ira Gershwin is spinning in his grave.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

His brain just seemed to be locked in the obscure rather than the obvious. Was thinking he might be able to gather himself after one of the breaks. Ironically he may have done better on a harder board?
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

seaborgium wrote:
Volante wrote:
I'm not sure I get the question. How would you pronounce pneumonia with a non-silent P? You don't, because it's silent.

PS Why could nobody hear pterodactyls urinate?

Because the P was silent.

Sorry, just had to do that.
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

opusthepenguin wrote:

https://youtu.be/1X1W6DocB7A
But Damien didn't write "What is" before his response. So he got it wrong. :D
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

hbomb1947 wrote:
But Damien didn't write "What is" before his response. So he got it wrong. :D
We have to cut him some slack: he didn't get the lectern note about whether to write "What" or "Who"