Help Support JBoard!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TomKBaltimoreBoy
Lucky to be Here

Re: Help Support JBoard!

Post by TomKBaltimoreBoy »

jeff6286 wrote:As long as you're giving out ranks, can I be the village idiot?
Probably not; I'm fairly certain that title is being reserved in case a couple of former Sony posters show up...

I will now complete the purification ritual necessary for even thinking about them -- as soon as we come up with one, that is.
Life IS pain, Princess. Anyone telling you differently is selling something.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I will now complete the purification ritual necessary for even thinking about them -- as soon as we come up with one, that is.
Charlie on Two and a Half Men (sitting at the bar having a drink): "If only there was some magic liquid that could erase bad memories ..."
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If I sponsor a month, the sony board will probably return to life on the first of the month, leaving me to reign over an empty kingdom.
Peggles
Grand Exalted Queen of the Universe

Post by Peggles »

alietr wrote:As I've mentioned, I've been paying for the board's server space and another month is due shortly. It's not exactly a huge financial burden at $5/month, but if people would like to voluntarily contribute and help out, I would appreciate it. So here is what I am proposing ... when the rent comes due, so to speak, I will post here and ask for a contributor to pay for the coming month. That person will be the official JBoarder of the Month. The title comes with a special parking space in front of the grandiose JBoard World Headquarters (in a rococo style), which is conveniently located next to Sony's studios in Culver City. You also get a plaque in the lobby, and the entire Jboard staff stands and cheers you when you walk into the JBoard cafeteria.

So here's how I'd like to work it ... if you're interested in contributing, be the first one to reply in this thread after I make a "Rent Due" post. I would really prefer that you volunteer to pay for only one month so as to distribute the contributions more evenly. If you see that your reply was first, then contact me to get me $5 (PayPal is probably easiest). With all this money we're raking in, we may have to re-incorporate in the Caymans.

Many thanks in advance.

And by the way, the rent is coming due for November.
I saw that Woof wants a month, as do I. What do you think of creating a designated list (much like the old TD list) that boardies can add their names to. That way, you'd know that you have a sponsor in advance and you could get the "rent" in a regular and timely fashion. The list could also serve as a kind of honor roll (or rogues gallery), beginning with RandyG, then Woof, then me, etc.
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

Peggles wrote: I saw that Woof wants a month, as do I. What do you think of creating a designated list (much like the old TD list) that boardies can add their names to. That way, you'd know that you have a sponsor in advance and you could get the "rent" in a regular and timely fashion. The list could also serve as a kind of honor roll (or rogues gallery), beginning with RandyG, then Woof, then me, etc.
Ah, but this is the JBoard, where half of the battle is beating the competition to the buzzer.

Alietr should reveal that the rent is due, then wait a random amount of time (I suggest somewhere in the 1 to 5 Oprahs range) to announce that the Go lights are on.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

HugoZ wrote:Alietr should reveal that the rent is due, then wait a random amount of time (I suggest somewhere in the 1 to 5 Oprahs range) to announce that the Go lights are on.
5 Oprahs??? :o By then next month's rent'll be due!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

HugoZ wrote: Alietr should reveal that the rent is due, then wait a random amount of time (I suggest somewhere in the 1 to 5 Oprahs range) to announce that the Go lights are on.
I tried looking it up, but can't discern what an "Oprah" is. :(
HugoZ
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by HugoZ »

RandyG wrote:
HugoZ wrote: Alietr should reveal that the rent is due, then wait a random amount of time (I suggest somewhere in the 1 to 5 Oprahs range) to announce that the Go lights are on.
There are 5 Oprahs here: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3497
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

HugoZ wrote:
RandyG wrote:
There are 5 Oprahs here: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=3497
There. Are. FOUR. Oprahs!!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Woof wrote:Bravo, Randy! We are all in your debt, big guy. Next round's on me! :mrgreen:
Your time has come (albeit a bit late). If you're still interested in being JBoarder of the Month, please make a $5 donation to Brian (who is now doing the hosting), and you shall be elevated to that exalted status. And I believe Peggles will be next.
Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle »

Thank you, Volante! One of the best from that series! As two-parters go, perhaps the best.
John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by John Boy »

I don't plan to follow this thread closely, but if you run out of patrons and need more support, let me know. I'll be happy to do my part. It's the least I can do to thank the founders/operators of this board, you wonderful people you!

:mrgreen:
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote:
Woof wrote:Bravo, Randy! We are all in your debt, big guy. Next round's on me! :mrgreen:
Your time has come (albeit a bit late). If you're still interested in being JBoarder of the Month, please make a $5 donation to Brian (who is now doing the hosting), and you shall be elevated to that exalted status. And I believe Peggles will be next.
Will do.
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

alietr wrote:
Standing by. Just remind me how the donation gets donated.
Peggles

Post by Peggles »

Peggles wrote:
alietr wrote:
Standing by. Just remind me how the donation gets donated.
I'm waiting for Brian to let me know how to get the rent to him. Tomorrow is January 1 - I don't want my rent to be in arrears. (Please don't have the sheriff evict me!)
jepkid97
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jepkid97 »

I'll take it whenever possible!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Bamaman wrote:If I sponsor a month, the sony board will probably return to life on the first of the month, leaving me to reign over an empty kingdom.
I think this is funny in light of what happened a couple weeks ago.

I think the assembled JBoard community has spoken loudly and clearly.
Peggles wrote:I saw that Woof wants a month, as do I. What do you think of creating a designated list (much like the old TD list) that boardies can add their names to. That way, you'd know that you have a sponsor in advance and you could get the "rent" in a regular and timely fashion. The list could also serve as a kind of honor roll (or rogues gallery), beginning with RandyG, then Woof, then me, etc.
And, I really like this idea...
HugoZ wrote:Ah, but this is the JBoard, where half of the battle is beating the competition to the buzzer.

Alietr should reveal that the rent is due, then wait a random amount of time (I suggest somewhere in the 1 to 5 Oprahs range) to announce that the Go lights are on.
But, of course, this ... is ... Jeopardy! we're talking about (quite literally) after all, so I like this idea best of all.

Andy, do you want me to announce rent is due at the start of each month? And decide myself how best to do things? Or do you want to pick the "lucky individual" and just send them over to me.

I am happy posting each month and waiting for a response. Heck, I'd even be happy having my bot make a post announcing a specific time of day (maybe the same time, maybe not) at which the "buzzers" enable. And the first post at (or after) that time marks the "winner".

Or maybe I am being too optimistic as to how many people wish to help out.

Suggestions?

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:Or maybe I am being too optimistic as to how many people wish to help out.
I think this statement:
bpmod wrote:I think the assembled JBoard community has spoken loudly and clearly.
should assuage any fears, we definitely all love this place too much, voting with our feet proved that.

I think every boardie wants to help out; however, for me and I'm sure several others like me, lack of means != lack of desire to help out.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I shall ponder how to work this.

Meanwhile, to honor Peggles as being JBoarder of the month, I have arranged for TCM to play Peg O' My Heart this Tuesday afternoon.
BigDaddyJ
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BigDaddyJ »

Please add me to the list. I'd be happy to support the board.