Tuesday, November 3, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Tuesday, November 3, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall »

You might get a kick out of this.

When watching the tape of today's show, the audio was acting strangely for a fraction of a second at random times during the show, like it would sound metallic or something. On one particular clue, it made me laugh quite hard at the result.

Behold: Robo-Alex!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sylq3f62jfqy ... a.mp3?dl=0
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I like the new guy. Easy FJ! I said "jumping frog of Calaveras County." Good enough? I picked up a bit of lach trash (monkey's Paw) and just a few others.

dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

dhkendall wrote:You might get a kick out of this.

When watching the tape of today's show, the audio was acting strangely for a fraction of a second at random times during the show, like it would sound metallic or something. On one particular clue, it made me laugh quite hard at the result.

Behold: Robo-Alex!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5sylq3f62jfqy ... a.mp3?dl=0
Major spoilers for the Doctor Who episode in which Daleks invade South America!

First the
Spoiler
Space Needle
, now this. Apparently the only things I know about Seattle are coffee and grunge music. :oops:

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer »

dinghammer wrote:First the
Spoiler
Space Needle
, now this. Apparently the only things I know about Seattle are coffee and grunge music. :oops:
I know an artist from Seattle who probably was very happy about the mint category yesterday.
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

floridagator

Post by floridagator »

BRD-98 wrote:since Boeing is based in Seattle
Boeing is headquartered in Chicago.

I knew D.C. TV would be about Washington and not TV shows based on DC Comics because the latter lacks periods.

I said Mary Baker Eddy for the early sci-fi writer.

TS dissident, murmur, monkey's paw. Instaget FJ.

LOL at a saguaro containing mescaline; LOL at a carrot being white.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.

El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

floridagator wrote: LOL at a carrot being white.
LOL at your inability to Google.

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I said Mary Mallon on the Typhoid Mary clue and Dan'l Boone on the Jumping Frog clue just to show off to myself. Too bad the frog was named Dan'l Webster. That'll show me.

chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

It just asked for a creature and i said "frog". I'm counting it.

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

floridagator wrote:LOL at a saguaro containing mescaline; LOL at a carrot being white.
Since mescaline does come from a cactus (though not a saguaro), it really wasn't a bad guess at all.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

45R Instaget FJ Boeing<>Seattle; LT: McClellan; dissident; nonconformist; "The Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County"; murmur; "The Monkey's Paw"; get on missed DD: "Rikitikitavi."
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Oh, poor Laika. That story ... I get upset every time I think about it.

Since I (apparently) use any opportunity on this board to promote geek troubadour extraordinaire Jonathan Coulton, I'll use this opportunity to leave this here: Jonathan's re-imagining of Space Oddity, with Laika replacing Major Tom in the story. Awkward title, beautiful song ... I present to you "Space Doggity":

(The visuals in this video are actually from another song)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zsV-qozMz9A
Guess what Malashenkov?
I took the collar off
Im holding my own leash
And walking myself outside
This door
I dont think
I want to be a good dog anymore.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

A big couple weeks for Seattle in FJs. First the Space Needle, now Boeing. I'll be looking for Bill Gates or Starbucks sometime next week.

Since I live in Seattle and work for Boeing this was possibly the easiest Final Jeopardy question for me ever.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote:A big couple weeks for Seattle in FJs. First the Space Needle, now Boeing. I'll be looking for Bill Gates or Starbucks sometime next week.

Since I live in Seattle and work for Boeing this was possibly the easiest Final Jeopardy question for me ever.
Do you know Nathan Murphy, a former J! contestant and a boardie (although he hasn't posted in a long time), who also works for Boeing in Seattle? (or at least he was working for them last I heard). He works on the engineering side.

The 787 is an amazing plane.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:A big couple weeks for Seattle in FJs. First the Space Needle, now Boeing. I'll be looking for Bill Gates or Starbucks sometime next week.

Do you know Nathan Murphy, a former J! contestant and a boardie (although he hasn't posted in a long time), who I believe also works for Boeing in Seattle? He works on the engineering side.

The 787 is an amazing plane.
No, I don't, but just looked him up and he's still at Boeing. Surprisingly he works in an organization that is not too far removed on the org chart from mine. With around 80,000 employees in Washington state usually when someone asks "do you know...?" I'm pretty confident my answer's going to be no. :)

I agree the 787 is an amazing plane. Unfortunately it's also an airplane that may never turn a profit.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I love the 787! I flew that on a 4 hour flight & it was such a pleasure. The return flight was an A321 & that was misery.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote:I love the 787! I flew that on a 4 hour flight & it was such a pleasure. The return flight was an A321 & that was misery.
I haven't flown on one yet, but I'd love to!

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

This Is Kirk! wrote: I agree the 787 is an amazing plane. Unfortunately it's also an airplane that may never turn a profit.
Have orders been lower than expected due to the battery issues and other reliability problems? If the plane is in production for 30 or so years, couldn't the development costs eventually be amortized?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

OrangeSAM

Post by OrangeSAM »

I don't work for Boeing (though some days it feels like I do) but I do know that the Boeing Company will be turning 100 in 2016. Instaget FJ! for me.

[Full disclosure: Assuming the sale goes through, in a few months I'll be working for Warren Buffet.]
OCSam

BigDaddyMatty
Save Me, Maggie!

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

alietr wrote:
floridagator wrote:LOL at a saguaro containing mescaline; LOL at a carrot being white.
Since mescaline does come from a cactus (though not a saguaro), it really wasn't a bad guess at all.
Except that they spotted the cactus bit to the contestants in the clue: "Healing ceremonies in some Native American tribes include drinking a tea made of this mescaline-containing cactus."

How can these people not know peyote? Isn't everyone familiar with Employment Division v. Smith?[/sarc]
Sprinkles are for winners.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

hbomb1947 wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote: I agree the 787 is an amazing plane. Unfortunately it's also an airplane that may never turn a profit.
Have orders been lower than expected due to the battery issues and other reliability problems? If the plane is in production for 30 or so years, couldn't the development costs eventually be amortized?
Orders are still good and I do think eventually the airplane will be profitable, but it's going to take a long time.