Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Thursday, November 5, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Winchell Factor »

mikeyb wrote:I got Lord Byron but on sort of a blind guess, thinking of someone gothic who loved the ladies.
Ah, then Mike, you need to become acquainted with one of my favorite literary quotes. Lady Caroline Lamb once characterized Lord Byron as "mad, bad and dangerous to know." That's how I got Byron from Lady Caroline Lamb's name.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

On the Maya/Mexico clue, I noted aloud that Joan Didion named her daughter Quintana Roo. Then she showed up in the following round.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken was a sound-alike for Mark Dawson. Mike Barrett is no relation and as Alex pointed out too much hair on top.

3/5 in TEXTING ACRONYMS. I still H8 the category, but at least I got 60% with no errors.

Any future contestants: Make sure that COMPOSERS is an automatic 5/5. You'll see them all again.

That was a great FJ! clue. For the leader and those playing along at home. For 2nd place? It sucks. The category's bite was not as bad as its bark.

Hammer: You had me going for a second as I wondered how in the bloody Hades you would know Matthew Morrison, Mark Ruffalo, The Bridges of Madison County and Clifford Odets. I then realized you meant you knew all but the first clue in the J! round Bartlett's.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $30,600
39 R/0 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Queens, Vermont, May gray, Edward VIII, Matthew Morrison

I was a bit worried when I saw Art History as the FJ! category, but that was a shockingly easy clue. The Composers and Gothic Literature categories were also not my cup of tea, although that was in large part a matter of confidence. I only got one right in each category (Vivaldi and Frankenstein), but there were two more in each category that I clammed on (Beethoven, Copland, Castle, Denison).
Sprinkles are for winners.
mikeyb
Zergalicious

Post by mikeyb »

Winchell Factor wrote:
mikeyb wrote:I got Lord Byron but on sort of a blind guess, thinking of someone gothic who loved the ladies.
Ah, then Mike, you need to become acquainted with one of my favorite literary quotes. Lady Caroline Lamb once characterized Lord Byron as "mad, bad and dangerous to know." That's how I got Byron from Lady Caroline Lamb's name.
Duly noted for future reference! Keeping with my theatre theme for the night, I think remembering "Arcadia" also was a help.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:Hammer: You had me going for a second as I wondered how in the bloody Hades you would know Matthew Morrison, Mark Ruffalo, The Bridges of Madison County and Clifford Odets. I then realized you meant you knew all but the first clue in the J! round Bartlett's.
Yeah, the DJ! Bartlett's category was five clues' worth of "huh?" to me.

Strange that I had "all but the top box" syndrome three times today.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

I wonder if having a Quintana Roo clue in one round and a Joan Didion/Year of Magical Thinking clue in another was intentional or just a coincidence? (The book is about the sudden death of Didion's husband AND the long illness and eventual death of their daughter, who was named... Quintana Roo.)

I thought that was a really easy game (that Dukakis clue was $2000?!) but I'm not complaining because I didn't do super well yesterday.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

MarkBarrett wrote:That was a great FJ! clue. For the leader and those playing along at home. For 2nd place? It sucks. The category's bite was not as bad as its bark.
Kids Week level material has no place deciding a match.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
jeopardymike
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jeopardymike »

9021amyers wrote:Anyway, Mike's pronunciation on a few of his responses annoyed me. Tan-zayn-ia? Mark Roof-alo?
I'm glad Sam got Dvorak before I could, because I would have screwed that up, too.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I'm a bit confused about the Mexico/Quintana Roo thing. Was it part of another Mexican state before the 70's? Surely it wasn't independent or a colony. Very easy FJ again. In Florence you can see 3 versions of David. I didn't count today but I did great in both rounds. I was surprised at all three DDs going bad. Lady C. Lamb should lead automatically to Lord Byron.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

seaborgium wrote:On the Maya/Mexico clue, I noted aloud that Joan Didion named her daughter Quintana Roo. Then she showed up in the following round.
Oh, of course I see this post after I already made one later pointing out the same thing
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Judges, I had "Humboldt" without the "von". Acceptable?
OCSam
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Johnblue wrote:I'm a bit confused about the Mexico/Quintana Roo thing. Was it part of another Mexican state before the 70's? Surely it wasn't independent or a colony. Very easy FJ again. In Florence you can see 3 versions of David. I didn't count today but I did great in both rounds. I was surprised at all three DDs going bad. Lady C. Lamb should lead automatically to Lord Byron.
Quintana Roo was a territory until it was granted statehood in 1974, just like Baja California Sur. They were made states on the same day.

FJs this week have been awfully easy. We'll see a lot of 5 for 5s on the poll if tomorrow's follows form.

Oh, and Humboldt should be fine. It's not the von Humboldt Current.
Last edited by bomtr on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

jeopardymike wrote:
9021amyers wrote:Anyway, Mike's pronunciation on a few of his responses annoyed me. Tan-zayn-ia? Mark Roof-alo?
I'm glad Sam got Dvorak before I could, because I would have screwed that up, too.
Welcome aboard!

You can pronounce the words any way you like, so long as the judges accept it.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

jeopardymike wrote:
Hey I'm enjoying your retweets of people hung up on you crossing your arms! It looked kinda weird to me at first but it's hard to understand being actively bothered by it (and it didn't seem to hurt your playing any, so...).
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

FJ for me went "ok, it's not anything from Jack and the Beanstalk... ok, David from the bible, was he a shepherd or something? Is there some shepherd statue? Oh, ok. David. Gotcha."

Gonna miss you Sam.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

molly427 wrote:
jeopardymike wrote:
Hey I'm enjoying your retweets of people hung up on you crossing your arms! It looked kinda weird to me at first but it's hard to understand being actively bothered by it (and it didn't seem to hurt your playing any, so...).
Plenty of contestants have played with crossed arms before; Mike's only a little unusual because he's holding the signaling device in the hand that's crossed inside.
jeopardymike
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by jeopardymike »

It's very strange to me how angry people are getting about the arms. We all had a very good laugh about it while we were watching the show, though.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

TenPoundHammer wrote:Strangely, $200 was my only miss in Bartlett's. I also couldn't connect Eroica to Beethoven at $200, and after I got the next two, I blanked on both Copeland and Dvorak.
Despite what the closed captioner said, it's "Copland". It really bugs me when they do that.

Thinking Rhode Island is not one of the original 13 colonies seems like a bad miss to me.

FJ was way too easy.