Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Leander »

MitchO wrote:I missed the first round. Where is the new champ from? She seemed to have an inflection in her voice that I've only heard once before, from a female friend who grew up in Nashville. It sounded like she would drag the exhalation of the final sound on many of the words, like "Two Hundredddddddddddddddd?", almost in that "answering a question with a question" tone. It just struck me.

I swear, I think they group easy FJs and impossible FJs in bunches so that they're in streaks.
I thought they said she was from Georgia. I noticed the odd inflection, but it wasn't "upspeak".
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Affectation is the perfect word to describe that. Still, she seems very nice & other than missing several amazingly easy clues & misplaying some DDs towards the end, she's a good J! player. Barcelona, Kimberly, Pet Shop Boys, lotsa other Lach Trash.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Leander wrote:
MitchO wrote:I missed the first round. Where is the new champ from? She seemed to have an inflection in her voice that I've only heard once before, from a female friend who grew up in Nashville. It sounded like she would drag the exhalation of the final sound on many of the words, like "Two Hundredddddddddddddddd?", almost in that "answering a question with a question" tone. It just struck me.
I thought they said she was from Georgia. I noticed the odd inflection, but it wasn't "upspeak".
I'd describe it as verbal wind-up.
It definately has nothing to do with regional accents.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:This has to go down in history as my most embarrassing FJ miss ever.
So what was your guess?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Bamaman wrote:Since her voice annoys a bunch of people, I hope she wins a bunch of games so they will continue to be annoyed.
No, dinghammer has the right idea with the image in the middle of page 1. ;)

Mike: Have you seen the Jeopardy! and Literature thread? Writers and J! players can be added there.

Not that it mattered for the end result, but it looked like Sadie was on the verge of saying aquamarine and it seemed Alex could sense it as well.

Mary Poppins to close out the week's perfecto would have felt like a better accomplishment except I get the feeling the 5/5 box will be over 33%.

I spent think time trying to think of somewhat plausible misses. The only ideas I had were Amelia Bedelia and Nanny McPhee. What else could someone stretch into a guess? Jane Eyre? Thumbelina?
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Nov 06, 2015 11:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I could've stared at that car for a month and never come up with Secretary of Transportation, because I didn't know that was a thing.

Pet Shop Boys (NHOI) was my only miss in "Boy" Bands.

Le Creuset was my only miss in In Sink.

"Wherefore art thou, Romeo?" had no business being any lower than $400."

So that's what the Arc de Triomphe is.

I counted out "Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, Numbers" on my fingers and still somehow managed to blurt out "five" instead of four. Derp.

Ran "Uv", although I almost had another "all but the top box" moment because I was misspelling "nouveau" in my head by eliminating the first U.

FJ! was ridiculously obvious in hindsight, but I just couldn't make the connection, and couldn't even think of a valid WAG. At least unlike that one Pluto clue I missed, I'm not the only one for a change.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

So did everybody get the S.O.S. clue this time?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Category 13 wrote:So did everybody get the S.O.S. clue this time?
I negged with Brillo pads again. :cry:
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Everyone wrote:Stupid easy FJ!!11!!!!one!!1(sin x^2+cos x^2)
Fine. YOU write 230 clues of what you expect to be FJ calibre and present them to us. Go on. GO ON!!! I dare you. I double dog dare you.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

Volante wrote:
Fine. YOU write 230 clues of what you expect to be FJ calibre and present them to us. Go on. GO ON!!! I dare you. I double dog dare you.
I'm choosing to believe the writers have been saving their best FJ material for the Tournament of Champions.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

9021amyers wrote:
Volante wrote:
I'm choosing to believe the writers have been saving their best FJ material for the Tournament of Champions.
Ho boy...are you in for disappointment...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I missed tonight's show, but see the winner was named Laura Ashley. Was she wearing a floral print dress? :D
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

This Is Kirk! wrote:I missed tonight's show, but see the winner was named Laura Ashley. Was she wearing a floral print dress? :D
Actually, her last name is Ashby. The FJ! post needs correcting.

Horrible overthink on the "crystal" clue: "Is that face-centered cubic or body-centered cubic?" ["What have I, what have I, what have I done to deserve this?"]
Last edited by OrangeSAM on Sat Nov 07, 2015 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

OrangeSAM wrote:
This Is Kirk! wrote:I missed tonight's show, but see the winner was named Laura Ashley. Was she wearing a floral print dress? :D
Actually, her last name is Ashby. The FJ! post needs correcting.
My typo. Fixed.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Since her voice annoys a bunch of people, I hope she wins a bunch of games so they will continue to be annoyed.
No, dinghammer has the right idea with the image in the middle of page 1. ;)
Hey now, that's just for anyone I might be watching with who likes to blurt out the FJ answer.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,400
46 R/1 W
DD: 1/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: Pet Shop Boys, left, Secretary of Transportation, La Creuset, Kimberley, fourth, Barcelona

My wife reminded me to be kind, so I have no comment on the new champ's syllable drag. Was I the only one who thought that Northeast Passage DD was gigantic negbait? Also, interesting that both Daytime J! and regular J! had Pet Shop Boys clues today.
Marietta, Georgia
Sprinkles are for winners.
grindcore
Some Guy

Post by grindcore »

Spotted Catalonia, Sagrada Familia and Gaudi and still no Barcelona? That seemed like a pretty bad stand-and-stare that could have sent the DD elsewhere and really shaken things up.

I said Mrs Doubtfire for FJ!

Just kidding.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:...
Marietta, Georgia
I'm not one to draw conclusions on accents based on self-identified hometowns.

I'd have to call myself a Californian now, but I didn't arrive here 'til I was 16. Before I entered grade school I was exposed to numerous accents and tendencies, including Down East Maine (where I was born), the Irish brogue of my mother's parents, the NJ accent of my paternal grandmother, my other grandfather's somewhat gravelly NYC accent (not Archie Bunker, perhaps a bit more Bronx), other accents to hear in and near NYC, and the drawl of southern Virginia. (FWIW, my parents had very mild NYC accents.)

After 4 or 5 years in Virginia (both north and south), I spent a couple more years in New England and the 3+ years in Missouri before reaching the Golden State.
OCSam
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

She was announced as being from Marietta, Georgia.
Leaper
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Leaper »

P.L. Travers would've loathed the fact that most of us found this FJ so easy solely because of the Disney movie. :)