Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Re: Friday, November 6, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by caknuck »

JeopRDFan wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Since her voice annoys a bunch of people, I hope she wins a bunch of games so they will continue to be annoyed.
Hear, hear!
The affectation reminds me of Janeane Garofalo doing Nell on the Ron Wood Show SNL skit from the 90's.

Chooka-paaaaaay, indeed, Nell. Chooka-paaaaaay, indeed.

(Doesn't annoy me, though.)
@caknuck
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

So, has anyone come up with a name for her affectation? I'm sure there is one.

And on a similar note, female announcers in commercials seem to add a bit of cracking/modulation to their otherwise smooth delivery in an effort to sound cute (the best way I can described it; I can try to find an example if needed). Does anyone know what that's called? It's not a vocal fry, but it's somewhat similar.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Interestingly, I only noticed her vocal peculiarity when calling for categories and giving responses (in other words, short sentences). I didn't notice it as much during her interview or in her recent Live Panel appearance.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by El Jefe »

alietr wrote:So, has anyone come up with a name for her affectation? I'm sure there is one.
Yes. It's vocal frying. And just as if someone were to append each category-amount combo with 'please, Alex' or 'um' or furiously swash their hand about in an effort to ring in quickly, I quickly began to anticipate the behavior and dread the chance for her to exhibit more of it. Which is too bad- I'd rather cheer for someone, especially when they're an eventual winner.

No 'Legally Blonde' references yet? Sheesh.
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

?
Last edited by El Jefe on Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

El Jefe wrote:
alietr wrote:So, has anyone come up with a name for her affectation? I'm sure there is one.
Yes. It's vocal frying.
No it's not. Vocal fry is crackly.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
Yes. It's vocal frying.
I thought this might rest until Sunday the 22nd. On the previously.tv board:

http://forums.previously.tv/topic/30911 ... 16/page-29

Some posters combined some thoughts and came up with: Pretentiously Intellectual Sauté Syndrome

It was interesting to listen to Laura on the Live Panel as it was there, but not nearly at the show level.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nj26Hjj_NTs
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

What was interesting to me is that Laura elongated her final syllable when she knew the answer, but not when she was just guessing. Even though both were (obviously) phrased in the form of a question, the affectation didn't show up when it was actually a question.
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
El Jefe

Post by El Jefe »

seaborgium wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
Yes. It's vocal frying.
I noticed some cracking, but YMMV. It could be that the definition doesn't include cracking anyway- hard to nail down and it could have originally required it and since drifted (like 'penis envy' or 'anal retentive'?)

http://mentalfloss.com/article/61552/what-vocal-fry
JyV92
Jeopardy! UTOCer

Post by JyV92 »

I am so happy Laura won.

I have never heard a voice like that in real life. I don't find it affected. I believe that's just the way she speaks. It's different, but really charming,and i am happy i'll get to hear it again next Monday.

That said, it reminded me of some dialogue i'e heard in 30's movies. It's wonderful - and she's a very good player. She may be on for a while (i don't know - i did go to teh ToC taping, second day, but have no idea about the regular games -that was my only taping this fall).
ZachTheRiah
In Search of the Unknown

Post by ZachTheRiah »

Could the argument be made for the crystal clue that it is a lattice? At least, that's the first thing I thought of, having never seen it before.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

ZachTheRiah wrote:Could the argument be made for the crystal clue that it is a lattice? At least, that's the first thing I thought of, having never seen it before.
Wikipedia (Crystal structure) wrote:Patterns are located upon the points of a lattice, which is an array of points repeating periodically in three dimensions. The lengths of the edges of a unit cell and the angles between them are called the lattice parameters. The symmetry properties of the crystal are embodied in its space group.
It seems that lattice describes the geometric pattern involved and it's a crystal when those lattice points are populated with atoms.
I think they'd give you a BMS.
OCSam