Things you miss about Jeopardy!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jlgarfield
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Things you miss about Jeopardy!

Post by jlgarfield »

First, a reminder: Please try and keep this conversation as civil as possible. With that said, this asks, "What kind of elements do you miss about Jeopardy!" today, whether it be the presentation, and other stuff that isn't seen on the show anymore.
---
I have one element I miss: The microphones being podium-mounted, as opposed to having clip-on mics. A friend of mine told me that the mics on the podiums added a bit of character to the show that is sorely missed since 1997, when the show switched to clip-on mics for the players. I remember that 10-year old me, who watched the first show of Season 14, noticed it and to this day, I kinda wish they'd make a comeback (and by they'd, I mean the mics on the podiums)......
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Things you miss about Jeopardy!

Post by dhkendall »

I kinda miss seeing the contestants walk on as they were introduced, I always thought that was pretty cool.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

More consistent clue quality and the category names usually being more generic (American History, 1970s Films, etc.)

The 5 wins rule. While I wouldn't have minded the regular wins limit being increased, I still think that there should be a cap.

Annual ToCs

And no Teachers Tournament.
Jeff-thecdboy

Post by Jeff-thecdboy »

-The classic Jeopardy! theme
-The "This is Jeopardy!" intro (when Johnny said it before the theme started)
-The previous sets (the blue/gold 1986-91 set and the metal grid 1991-96 set)
-The contestants actually walking on the set during the intro (agreed w/dhkendall here)
-The Seniors tournaments

Also, during the 1991-92 season, a headshot of Alex Trebek would be shown on the board during his intro as he came on the set, and it always gives me a nostalgic feel for that season every time I'm reminded of it.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

They used to turn the board into a 36-screen Jumbotron and show Alex and the contestants and such. This would happen when going to or coming off breaks and during the FJ Think music if I recall. It was a cool effect that would, if anything, be even cooler with current technology. I don't know why they stopped.
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Surprised nobody's mentioned the old board fill-in sound yet. (*boop-boop-boop-boop-boop*) I still sometimes do it out loud by habit when the categories are announced.
kingskip
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kingskip »

The set turning red for Double Jeopardy and staying red the remainder of the show.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

Alex's mustache
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

Shows taped on the road, especially for tournaments. The venue and bigger audiences give a more electric feel. From the archive it looks like the last shows taped on the road were in 2012 (Power Players Week from DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.).
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

nserven wrote:Shows taped on the road, especially for tournaments. The venue and bigger audiences give a more electric feel. From the archive it looks like the last shows taped on the road were in 2012 (Power Players Week from DAR Constitution Hall in Washington, D.C.).
Small thinking. Record the Tournament of Champions at AT&T Stadium in Arlington, Texas.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

kingskip wrote:The set turning red for Double Jeopardy and staying red the remainder of the show.
Oooohhh. I HATED that. It looked so angry and upsetting. I'm glad they don't do that anymore.
Ivoryface86

Post by Ivoryface86 »

The DJ! round's money values popping-up on the screens coming out of the 2nd commercial break. Daniel, you may be right, I also miss the way the red door used to change to blue for the DJ! And FJ! Rounds while the rest of the set is red only to find out it was completely the other way around right before the 10-second ads are seen. I also miss the time that when Alex have the mustache, he read all the answers along as opposed to the unshown answers posed by the Clue Crew that were filmed starting in July 2001(the same time that Alex shaved off his trademark mustache).
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

I miss the old-fashioned seven-segment score displays on the podiums. It's the same case when I go to a sports event these days, where the scoreboards are all made up of LED video boards; there's a character to the old egg-crate or electromechanical displays that HD can't match.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Ties.
WooWho?
Jeopardy! Almost-Champion

Post by WooWho? »

The big Jeopardy! light-up sign that was a prominent part of so many of the old sets. Especially the one that changed colors.
アタックチャンス!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Don Pardo
Total game show career losings = $171,522
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:Surprised nobody's mentioned the old board fill-in sound yet. (*boop-boop-boop-boop-boop*) I still sometimes do it out loud by habit when the categories are announced.
Yes this too.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

jlgarfield wrote:First, a reminder: Please try and keep this conversation as civil as possible.
This is probably the most civil place on the internet. And I miss when you could use some of your winnings to buy a ceramic dalmatian.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
Vanya
The support is non-zero

Post by Vanya »

Art Fleming.
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

This thread is sort of an indirect "how old are you?" poll, isn't it?
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.