Name for the "cover and fall to" point

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

KellyJ!
Contributor

Name for the "cover and fall to" point

Post by KellyJ! »

In FJ! wagering strategy since the amount that the leader will fall to if he/she bets to cover and misses is an important threshold for the trailers to consider, I thought that maybe we should come up with a name for that amount. (More specifically since it's usually the "round number" I'll define it as the amount where the leader who wagers for a cover-tie will fall to; a leader who bets that amount plus a dollar will fall to a dollar less than that point.)

I'll nominate "The Bar" for what to call it; if you're below The Bar you need to try and get past it (unless you're so far behind that even a double-up won't do it), while if you're above it you often should wager to stay above it. When 1st and 2nd are far apart (but not a lock) The Bar is higher while in a close game it's lower. In cases where a trailer is likely to end up exactly at The Bar (e.g. exact 2/3 game, A=B+C, etc.) the leader ought to consider wagering for the tie instead of betting the extra dollar (so as to not lose by a dollar in said cases on a miss).
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Name for the "cover and fall to" point

Post by seaborgium »

I don't know what to call it, but that total is equal to double the difference between the coverer's and coveree's scores. Which is why third place in a "first equals second plus half of third" scenario is encouraged to wager nothing.