Friday, November 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Friday, November 13, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by hbomb1947 »

boson wrote:Wow, another barn burner. Congrats on the win Alex- very impressive, especially with the negs.

I think Michael made a tactical mmistake going tdd on the last one: Alex was out of reach, you just need a wildcard, don't risk everything on the dd.

It was only $4,200, and I think it was a fine wager. I mean, it's not like him losing $2,000 less than he did on it would have made a difference. And had he gotten his TDD right (and had subsequent events played out the same), he would have had $16,800 entering FJ and would have been well-positioned for a WC, even with a miss on FJ (as long as he didn't screw up his FJ wager).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

dhkendall wrote:
MitchO wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Did they mention first woman?
No, but they said she "repopulated the earth", which can get you there.
hbomb1947 wrote:What in the clue specified that she had to be mortal rather than a goddess?
Same thing: if she repopulated the earth, she was (almost assuredly) a human mortal.
Ah, see that's what made me not think that it was the first woman in Greek mythology, in the Judeo-Christian belief system (the one I'm most familiar with) the first woman (Eve) was dead* before the flood started, so I didn't think the two events in the clue had necessarily anything to do with each other.
Similarly, in Greek mythology, it was after a flood that Pandora's daughter and son-in-law (again, not Pandora herself) repopulated the Earth.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I get not using the same boards for everyone, as that would be boring, but why not use the same FJ clue for each game?
hbomb1947

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:I get not using the same boards for everyone, as that would be boring, but why not use the same FJ clue for each game?
That would ruin Mark's weekly poll :D
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

zakharov wrote:Jeopardy is almost certainly getting pre-empted in many markets today for Paris coverage.
Amazingly not in Philly. WPVI screws up Jeopardy any way they can, but for some reason not tonight.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
boson
Trivial

Post by boson »

econgator wrote:I get not using the same boards for everyone, as that would be boring, but why not use the same FJ clue for each game?
That makes a lot of sense game-wise. But it makes for poorer tv, and jeopardy is a tv show first, game second.
sarisson
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by sarisson »

A rare 1/5 week for me. :oops:
I had $29,400 (38 R, 1 W). Trash: "Nightmare," "alternate/alternate." I WAGed Aphrodite on Final. I missed the "Pandora's Box" clue in LL last season- that cost me a 9(6)- so naturally I missed this too. I'm like TPH when it comes to mythology.
Congrats to #2 in Chorizo N on a semifinal berth.
Hoping for a third lap
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

boson wrote:I think Michael made a tactical mmistake going tdd on the last one: Alex was out of reach, you just need a wildcard, don't risk everything on the dd.
Ask yourself this, if he misses the DD does he have any chance of advancing? Regardless, he still has to wager everything on the DD.

He gave himself the best chance to advance, and that's all a contestant can do.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What a great idea! I'd be 4/5 this week, instead of 0/5.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

BennyBXB wrote:NBC in northeast PA didn't cut anything out for coverage, but NBC news is simulcast on ABC and FOX here so they would have had to get clearance from those networks as well. Probably would have been more effort that it's worth. Not surprised by Alex's dominance. At this point everybody's looking at an Alex/Matt final but the third spot is very much up for grabs.
My money's on Ben Ingram in a surprise upset.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

bpmod wrote:
What a great idea! I'd be 4/5 this week, instead of 0/5.
Which day's clue do you figure you'd miss?
Spoiler
I'm guessing Wednesday.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

zakharov wrote:Jeopardy is almost certainly getting pre-empted in many markets today for Paris coverage.
Yes, that happened to me right after Alex wagered 5600 on a Daily Double. I'm looking here to see what came of it.
periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle »

Preempted here in NoVa, during the introductions, never came back.
Will tape tomorrow's rerun in case they run it then.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Managed to WAG the right answer for FJ on the sole reason that "it felt right."
As far as quality FJs go, I'd say this week went 2-2-1. (Thursday slotting in the 'tie' field; fine regular FJ but too straightforward for a TOC)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Looking at FJ, I thought the mother and the flood must be linked. So I guessed that the flood might have been unleashed when Pandora's box was opened, and that's who I guessed. Looking online, I can't find anything connecting Pandora to the flood, but a get is a get!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

If Michael hits his true DD then that is 16800 going into the FJ! round. If Scott is still at 10200 then I would not put it past Michael to have bet 3601 and still miss the semis. Scott's wager was $4000. Someone had to do it.

I 50/50/90ed myself writing Gaia and spending think time considering Pandora, but not going for the switch. Trebek's words when time was up locked in Pandora. There went my chance for a dream 4/5 opening week.

So, Dan got by leaving 1600 on the table and John got by losing 2800 of his 17800. It could not have been fun for them to suffer through multiple games. Good for them for making the semis through a rougher path than the QF winners.

I have not seen the matchups for the Semis. The powers can never be trusted in such situations. Matt and Alex in the same game would be criminal. Matt, Brennan and Alex in the same game would be even worse.

Dan, Vaughn and Catherine in separate games is a logical starting point. Kerry and Andrew will surely be separated as well. Kerry and Catherine apart is likely also.

I will guess:

Catherine, Brennan, John (W W WC)

Vaughn, Andrew, Alex (WC WC W)

Dan, Matt, Kerry (WC W W)
zdude69closedrofl
Valued Contributor

Post by zdude69closedrofl »

Great way to finish the week. This quarterfinal week was one of the best I've seen in a while, all players were very worthy of their positions in the tournament. Alex was very dominant today, as I expected. Sad to see Michael go, his TDD just didn't work in his favor, although he still played an exceptional game. Scott fared well against the two as well, but was just a couple steps behind. I'm willing to bet Alex Jacob comes out the champion rather than Matt, although it'd be cool to see another underdog victory similar to that of Ingram last year. 6/9 for semifinals, definitely was slightly off as I predicted Elliot, Michael, and Greg to advance rather than Kerry, Andrew, and John. However not to take away from the three I didn't guess that made it, they've played extremely well and I'm really proud of this field for holding their own.
chad1m

Post by chad1m »

If today's tragic events made you miss Jeopardy!'s last Tournament of Champions quarterfinal, watch:

https://youtu.be/GI4UJfTaxqU
TreadingWater
Contributor

Post by TreadingWater »

rmfromfla wrote:First 4 categories listed in DJ, then Lester Holt popped up on screen.
One of the two area NBC stations (Dothan) went to news coverage; the other (Panama City) kept with J!.
Pre-empted here in Texas at the same point in DJ on the NBC affiliate on which J! airs here...
Taken two dips in the pool but currently sitting on the edge waiting for another swim....
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

chad1m wrote:If today's tragic events made you miss Jeopardy!'s last Tournament of Champions quarterfinal, watch:

https://youtu.be/GI4UJfTaxqU
Thank you!