TD 270: Back to Basics

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: TD 270: Back to Basics

Post by mahatma »

dnbguy wrote:4. Name any captain who has been shown in command of a ship called Enterprise on any of the Star Trek TV shows or movies.
Wrong answers16 points

HIKARU SULU (USS Excelsior)
Category 13
dott888
mahatma
Wasn't Sulu in command of the Enterprise (at least temporarily), in the last ST movie?
dott888
Valued Contributor

Post by dott888 »

mahatma wrote:
dnbguy wrote:4. Name any captain who has been shown in command of a ship called Enterprise on any of the Star Trek TV shows or movies.
Wrong answers16 points

Category 13
dott888
mahatma
Wasn't Sulu in command of the Enterprise (at least temporarily), in the last ST movie?
I have never watched anything Star Trek so this was a guess for me. In one of George Takei's many interviews on Howard Stern he stated he was a captain but I didn't recall which ship.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

dott888 wrote:
mahatma wrote:
Wrong answers16 points

Category 13
dott888
mahatma
I have never watched anything Star Trek so this was a guess for me. In one of George Takei's many interviews on Howard Stern he stated he was a captain but I didn't recall which ship.
Was he a Captain, or just in command? Kirk has left Scotty in command before in TOS, but I didn't see him listed as an unused answer. (Scott would also later be promoted to Captain as well, which adds a whole degree of timing. Do they have to hold rank of Captain at the time they're in command?)

And then are we talking Captain, rank, or captain, officer of the deck?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
schoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by schoe »

Volante wrote:
dott888 wrote:
mahatma wrote:
Wrong answers16 points

Category 13
dott888
mahatma
Was he a Captain, or just in command? Kirk has left Scotty in command before in TOS, but I didn't see him listed as an unused answer. (Scott would also later be promoted to Captain as well, which adds a whole degree of timing. Do they have to hold rank of Captain at the time they're in command?)

I'd imagine it would have to be the rank captain (held at the time), otherwise there'd be tons of additional answers - it might almost be, who hasn't been in command of the Enterprise at some point? (Other than Worf, I think every TNGer was in command at some point for example?)

Sulu was never in command of the Enterprise in ST6 - he was on the Excelsior the whole time.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Great game, dnbguy! Surprised by several of those sheep, particularly astatine, but what else is new?

Congrats to the winners!
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote:
dott888 wrote:
mahatma wrote:
Wrong answers16 points

Category 13
dott888
mahatma

Not all that relevant, ultimately. Just because the someone else has the bridge doesn't mean that they are "in command". That responsibility still lies with the Captain unless and until he is properly relieved (as Captain Jellico did in "Chain of Command").
CoachP
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by CoachP »

Thanks for the speedy reveal! Thanks also for a fun TD.
Congrats to the winners!
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

Hey, I finished in the top half! Not bad for a game in which I had to guess twice because I had no clue for 4(!) questions.

Congrats to the podium finishers, and thanks for a great game, dnbguy!

And about those guesses...
Spoiler
One was San Francisco. I almost went with Denver!

The other one was astatine. It's come up on Pointless a few times, and I use it in the Pointless app whenever seaborgium, samarium, yttrium, or ytterbium are unacceptable for whatever reason. I thought it might be a metal and was hoping it might be an alkali too. After I submitted, I did the following, with a little time between each step:
  1. Googled astatine, saw that it's not even a metal.
  2. Googled manganese, which I knew was a metal, saw that it wasn't an alkali, was relieved that I would have been wrong either way.
  3. Googled 'alkali metal' just to find out what the heck they are, saw lithium (which I was pretty sure was right and would sheep).
  4. Googled halogen to find out what they are.
  5. :shock:
  6. Image
  7. (much later) Realized that because it was right, it would probably be the sheep. But I'm still pretty happy with my luckiest guess ever.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Very nicely done! Simple, challenging and effective. (Everyone take note.) And congrats to the top yodelers of the week!
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Hurray - I'm swimming in Pixar movies! (metaphorically speaking) :D

Thanks for the game. :)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Good game - thanks, dnbguy.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Thanks for the game, dbnguy. I had fun playing. Fifty-two players is the most we've seen in a while--well done, sir.

Congratuations as well to this week's podium finishers!
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

The only one I rolled a die on was my only singleton (Sodium!) I'm going to start rolling dice more often.
Rusty's in the club
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Rusty's in the club »

Hi All....

I just want to thank you all, and especially to Mrs Rusty. She told me about this and she gave me a prior quiz to try. Thought it was fun, and entered this one.

Truly surprised with a win my first time, and I'll try to be back for more in the future.

I will confess....thank God for the Drop....I probably don't know a single Taylor Swift song to save my life.

Best to you all and I'll see you around.

RITC
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Vermonter wrote:Great game, dnbguy! Surprised by several of those sheep, particularly astatine, but what else is new?

Congrats to the winners!
TD, oy! The intelligence of this game's players never ceases to amaze me.

Again, hosannas in the highest to the top finishers.
MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Arggghhh...started slow, built painfully the whole way, then lost 11(!) places on Xenon....cra-doo! Thanks for the interesting game, and congrats to the podium people anyway! Happy US Thanksgiving, all.
Pending...
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Thanks for the fun game, dnbguy!
dnbguy

Post by dnbguy »

econgator wrote:
Volante wrote:
dott888 wrote:
mahatma wrote:
Wrong answers16 points

Category 13
dott888
mahatma

Not all that relevant, ultimately. Just because the someone else has the bridge doesn't mean that they are "in command". That responsibility still lies with the Captain unless and until he is properly relieved (as Captain Jellico did in "Chain of Command").
This is the correct interpretation. Spock was captain of the Enterprise at the start of Wrath of Khan. Riker officially took command of the Enterprise-D during Best of Both Worlds Part 2, Captain Jellico during the Chain of Command two-parter.
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

dnbguy wrote:This is the correct interpretation. Spock was captain of the Enterprise at the start of Wrath of Khan. Riker officially took command of the Enterprise-D during Best of Both Worlds Part 2, Captain Jellico during the Chain of Command two-parter.
And Riker briefly was seen as Captain of an alternate reality Enterprise-D in the ST:TNG episode Parallels.
@caknuck