Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by kprather895 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:05 pm

Bclay wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:I can probably look this up, but holy crap, Alex's Daily Double wager! Was it the largest ever?
I'm not sure if you can search J-Archive for largest DD wagers, but I know both Joon Pahk and Roger Craig have wagered (and won) big before. Roger hit back to back DDs in his first game of the ToC, making both true DDs. The first was a 9k wager, the second was 18k. Both of Joon's were in math related categories (which he was clearly confident in), one being 14.2k and the other being 16.4k.

Roger also wagered 10.2k twice in the Battle of the Decades finals, but missed both.
I'm reasonably sure Roger's $18,000 DD was the largest ever, and Bob Beers' $10,000 DD was the largest adjusted. Anyone remember a DD bigger than $18,000?

cheezguyty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by cheezguyty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:26 pm

kprather895 wrote:
Bclay wrote:
JonathanHenke wrote:I can probably look this up, but holy crap, Alex's Daily Double wager! Was it the largest ever?
I'm not sure if you can search J-Archive for largest DD wagers, but I know both Joon Pahk and Roger Craig have wagered (and won) big before. Roger hit back to back DDs in his first game of the ToC, making both true DDs. The first was a 9k wager, the second was 18k. Both of Joon's were in math related categories (which he was clearly confident in), one being 14.2k and the other being 16.4k.

Roger also wagered 10.2k twice in the Battle of the Decades finals, but missed both.
I'm reasonably sure Roger's $18,000 DD was the largest ever, and Bob Beers' $10,000 DD was the largest adjusted. Anyone remember a DD bigger than $18,000?
Leonard Cooper also made an $18,000 Daily Double wager: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4077

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:43 pm

Disappointingly, I thought of Count of Monte Cristo first, and then this image instantly popped into my head.
So I went with Phantom.
You'd think I would've recognized I was mixing up movie with novel, but nope. Oops...

Never considered Man in the Iron Mask longer than, "That's a title."

jpr281
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jpr281 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 7:27 pm

Alex Jacob ‏@whoisalexjacob
Matt asked the judges to reconsider itinerant. I asked about frank, as a just-in-case. Fighting for every dollar #Jeopardy #ToC2015

https://twitter.com/whoisalexjacob/stat ... 0653606912

karoliner
Valued Contributor

Post by karoliner » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:25 pm

Volante wrote:Disappointingly, I thought of Count of Monte Cristo first, and then this image instantly popped into my head.
So I went with Phantom.
Why? Guy Pearce did not play Edmond.

When I thought of Count of Monte Cristo I was like “wow that’s easy”. I was surprised they both picked Man in the Iron Mask, and more confused to see so many people did, since I only know of him as a character in The Vicomte of Bragelonne. Then I looked it up and found it was the title of part 3 of the book. I’m not sure that would count as a novel title character, and he is hardly the hero of that part of the book.

Volante
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Volante » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:32 pm

karoliner wrote:
Volante wrote:Disappointingly, I thought of Count of Monte Cristo first, and then this image instantly popped into my head.
So I went with Phantom.
Why? Guy Pearce did not play Edmond.

When I thought of Count of Monte Cristo I was like “wow that’s easy”. I was surprised they both picked Man in the Iron Mask, and more confused to see so many people did, since I only know of him as a character in The Vicomte of Bragelonne. Then I looked it up and found it was the title of part 3 of the book. I’m not sure that would count as a novel title character, and he is hardly the hero of that part of the book.
I didn't say there was any logic to it. Heck, I even strongly hinted there WAS no logic to it.

FarkF
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by FarkF » Fri Nov 20, 2015 11:46 pm

jpr281 wrote:Was anyone else miffed that they counted Matt's response of "itinerant" for the "vagrant" clue incorrect? I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but it seems like it should've been accepted.

i·tin·er·ant

noun
a person who travels from place to place.
ber

Please hear, read, and remember any question before posting.
The question made it clear that the English word was derived from French origins; maybe no a great clue that should have said the original Latin blend of Anglo-French usage. 1400-50; late Middle English vagaraunt, apparently present participle of Anglo-French *vagrer, perhaps < Middle English *vagren, blend of vagen (< Latin vagārī to wander) and *walcren (> Old French wa (u) crer), equivalent to walc- (see walk ) + -r- frequentative suffix + -en infinitive suffix .

Sage on the Hudson

Triple turn'ed stumper!

Post by Sage on the Hudson » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:34 am

dirkgonnadirk wrote:btw, we need to stop calling it a triple stumper when one person has no intention of trying to answer the question
He may not have wanted to wager much, if anything, but of course he wanted to give a correct response. He didn't because didn't know it.

dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Re: Triple turn'ed stumper!

Post by dirkgonnadirk » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:00 am

Sage on the Hudson wrote:
dirkgonnadirk wrote:btw, we need to stop calling it a triple stumper when one person has no intention of trying to answer the question
He may not have wanted to wager much, if anything, but of course he wanted to give a correct response. He didn't because didn't know it.
what exactly are you basing this on? the fact that he wrote 'who is'?

davey

Post by davey » Sat Nov 21, 2015 5:09 pm

Lefty wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:Nor the rudeness requirement, if you ask me. I haven't consulted a dictionary, but I think frank means something along the lines of straightforwardly or candidly honest. Can't a person be that without being impolite?
I agree, and will add that IMO "frank" is a very underused word. People often say "to be honest...", suggesting that they are usually dishonest, and even if they are in fact, I don't think they really mean to suggest that. Say "frank" instead.
Have you ever listened to a politician speak? "To be frank" can be interpreted, along the same lines, I'm usually evasive...I wouldn't call it underused...

Thought MITIM first, though I actually wrote "The Count"...and then changed back... :evil:

A little disappointed that musical theater fan Matt didn't get the SNL clue about Christine Ebersole, much more famous as a musical star - fantastic in Grey Gardens - than for her TV work...

Why did Alex T. pause after Alex J. gave the response of Abelard...as if "Peter" was required?

JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:13 pm

davey wrote:Why did Alex T. pause after Alex J. gave the response of Abelard...as if "Peter" was required?
I wondered the same thing. It can't be the case the the first name was required; are there other famous Abelards??

I wonder if he wasn't sure Alex had pronounced it correctly — maybe he thought he had missed a letter or something — and was looking to the judges for confirmation? And then Alex J misinterpreted that as a be-more-specific?
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:44 pm

JonathanHenke wrote:
davey wrote:Why did Alex T. pause after Alex J. gave the response of Abelard...as if "Peter" was required?
I wondered the same thing. It can't be the case the the first name was required; are there other famous Abelards??
Of course! AlexJ had to distinguish him from Abelard of Hauteville, and the Haitian painter-sculptor Gesner Abelard, and Abelard Snazz from the 2000 AD comic. I mean, obviously. Just off the top of my head. :D

Seriously, I'd have lost money on that clue if they'd insisted on more info. Whaddya mean BMS? Abelard of Héloïse and Abelard. That Abelard.

I think FIRST NAME BASIS would make a terrific category. Give the first name of the person referred to. E.g.

- SECOND LORD PROTECTOR OF ENGLAND, SCOTLAND AND IRELAND

- THE ONLY FOUR-TERM PRESIDENT OF THE UNITED STATES

- DANISH EXISTENTIALIST WHO SPOKE OF THE “TELEOLOGICAL SUSPENSION OF THE ETHICAL”

- THE BEATLE WHO DEVELOPED WINGS

- THE MIDDLE-NAMED MEMBER OF PETER, PAUL AND MARY

- THE MAIN SQUEEZE OF HELOISE

Golf

Re: Triple turn'ed stumper!

Post by Golf » Sat Nov 21, 2015 6:55 pm

Sage on the Hudson wrote:He may not have wanted to wager much, if anything, but of course he wanted to give a correct response. He didn't because didn't know it.
Michael Dupee disagrees with you based on this game. http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=119

He discusses his rationale in his book.

caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck » Sun Nov 22, 2015 12:31 am

dhkendall wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:
jpr281 wrote:Was anyone else miffed that they counted Matt's response of "itinerant" for the "vagrant" clue incorrect? I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but it seems like it should've been accepted.

i·tin·er·ant

noun
a person who travels from place to place.
The clue required it be derived from Old French. Itinerant is from Latin. Terrible clue unless knowing your Old French is part of TOC level play.
Not that "knowing your Old French is part of TOC level play", but more that learning etymology in general is. And that's a reasonable expectation. Many of us here enjoy learning etymologies of words, we may have participated in spelling bees when we were younger, but aren't TOC level players.
Stupid Franks.
@caknuck