Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, November 19, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OrangeSAM » Thu Nov 19, 2015 11:52 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:Poll request: My SECOND guess on Thursday's FJ was The Count of Monte Cristo.

Here's a helpful fact I just learned for next time. "The Man in the Iron Mask" is not a novel. It's the third section of a novel titled Le Vicomte de Bragelonne ou Dix ans plus tard (The Vicomte of Bragelonne: Ten Years Later)....
I read that as The Vicomte of Bragelonne or Ten Years Later.

Anyway, I said to MrsOS that FJ! had two great choices, but I went with the Count. She had the Masked Man. I'm sure that happened in many family rooms.
OCSam

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:24 am

I definitely would have switched to The Man in the Iron Mask if I had continued thinking of possible title and came up with that, but the Count seemed right to me at first glance so I stuck with it.

The less you know, the better... sometimes.

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:36 am

I've never read TMITIM but I have read The Count so good for me. Boy, Alex crushed the other two. Surprised by a couple of the TSs such as Joe Bonamassa & Ale/azalea. Looking forward to a nice finish.

Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:37 am

I've never read The Man in the Iron Mask, but is his mask ever removed? It would be hard to see his 'complexion' otherwise. I know there were rumors in real life that it was Nicolas Fouquet or Louis XIV's illegitimate brother or someone important along those lines, but the secret is lost to history, which drove me away from that response.
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:46 am

hbomb1947 wrote:
dhkendall wrote: Oh, that reminds me about something I didn't like about Kerry's answer. She said "what is the North Pole", where it should have been just "what is North Pole", without the "the", as it's not asking for the geographic (or geomagnetic) point, but a town.
Don't they always accept the definite article at the beginning of a response, with the exception of the rare Invisible Man-type situation? "What is the Los Angeles?" would never get negged either.
But that's my point, the case with Invisible Man/The Invisible Man is that they are both things that are different from each other. North Pole, Alaska (or whatever town they were looking for, still not 100% clear on that) and "the north pole" in the middle of the Arctic Ocean are two different things. "The Los Angeles" isn't a thing just like "the Bill Clinton" (as an example) isn't a thing.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Nov 20, 2015 12:48 am

MarkBarrett wrote: Alex: Okay, how did you get that Judy Blume Daily Double? You seemed amused by the clue and response like there was a story there.
I got the impression it was "Shit, I don't know this. Say a feasible children's author" "Uhh, Judy Blume?" "Correct!" "Holy shit, that's a WAG with a good return!"

See kids, this is why you should always say something for a DD or FJ.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:26 am

dhkendall wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: Alex: Okay, how did you get that Judy Blume Daily Double? You seemed amused by the clue and response like there was a story there.
I got the impression it was "Shit, I don't know this. Say a feasible children's author" "Uhh, Judy Blume?" "Correct!" "Holy shit, that's a WAG with a good return!"

But that's how practically every DD is for Alex: [long pause] "Who is..." [pause, followed badgering from Trebek] "Who is..." [now either a slight grimace and shake of the head, or maybe a downward glance; then softly, with an air of defeat] "Who is Schopenhauer?"

And me, with my suspicious mind, I'm thinking, "Dammit, Alex, you have known it was Schopenhauer this whole time!"

[ETA: I say this with nothing but admiration for the guy.]

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:51 am

dhkendall wrote:

I first thought J.K. Rowling, but The Casual Vacancy wasn't recent enough. Somehow during the silence I thought I remembered a Judy Blume interview on NPR a couple months ago. I'm going to say Alex knew it, but wanted the home viewers to get the maximum amount of thinking time.

Lefty

Post by Lefty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:17 am

Winchell Factor wrote:Nor the rudeness requirement, if you ask me. I haven't consulted a dictionary, but I think frank means something along the lines of straightforwardly or candidly honest. Can't a person be that without being impolite?
I agree, and will add that IMO "frank" is a very underused word. People often say "to be honest...", suggesting that they are usually dishonest, and even if they are in fact, I don't think they really mean to suggest that. Say "frank" instead.

Since I'm here already, I'll add that I also went with Iron Mask, and Phantom was my only other (earlier) thought. Somehow, though, I didn't see it as a likely ToC final subject.

To address the Keith comment I'm too lazy to quote here, I don't think the mask is ever removed, but it's a tough world if we're supposed to have read all these books they ask about.
I'm smart and I want respect.

stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 2:29 am

Sorry Matt. What an awful way to go. Boy, one lucky guess on judy bloom and he goes from being out of the game to guaranteed winner. Stupid neg baity uninteresting fj.

Terrible clippers game as well. Did you see them blow a 41-point first quarter? Whats up with that new logo too? I also was not fond of ucla colors. They are supposed to wear bruin blue and gold to match the cheerleaders. They wouldnt have lost to washington state with those uniforms. Lol. What are those black and yellow things? I didnt recognize them. What are they georgia tech or something?

dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Post by dirkgonnadirk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:16 am

stevo4212 wrote:Sorry Matt. What an awful way to go. Boy, one lucky guess on judy bloom and he goes from being out of the game to guaranteed winner.
4k v 1.8k v 0 with a game and a half to play is 'out of it'?

Sage on the Hudson

What's the Zip Code for Chateau d'If?

Post by Sage on the Hudson » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:33 am

hbomb1947 wrote: I know it was only a top-of-the-board clue, but the North Pole clue in the DJ round doesn't make any sense to me. The clue read, "This location of Santa's workshop has a zip code, 12997." First of all, to fit within the category ("'North' and 'South' America"), they must have been referring to the town North Pole, Alaska (and surrounding area), whose zip code is 99705 -- not 12997 as given in the clue.
Let's call it an honorary Zip Code for a location that doesn't exist. It's where all those letters mailed by kids to Santa are sent by the Post Office (hint: it's a long way from 90 degrees North Latitude).

And "Who's Edmond Dantès?" (my instant response) would, of course, have been equally acceptable for FJ. All but astonishing that it was a triple-stumper (in the TOC, no less).

dirkgonnadirk
Contributor

Post by dirkgonnadirk » Fri Nov 20, 2015 6:37 am

btw, we need to stop calling it a triple stumper when one person has no intention of trying to answer the question

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:56 am

opusthepenguin wrote:
jpr281 wrote:Was anyone else miffed that they counted Matt's response of "itinerant" for the "vagrant" clue incorrect? I don't remember the exact wording of the clue, but it seems like it should've been accepted.

i·tin·er·ant

noun
a person who travels from place to place.
The clue required it be derived from Old French. Itinerant is from Latin. Terrible clue unless knowing your Old French is part of TOC level play.
Not that "knowing your Old French is part of TOC level play", but more that learning etymology in general is. And that's a reasonable expectation. Many of us here enjoy learning etymologies of words, we may have participated in spelling bees when we were younger, but aren't TOC level players.

Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:01 am

Winchell Factor wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

But that's how practically every DD is for Alex: [long pause] "Who is..." [pause, followed badgering from Trebek] "Who is..." [now either a slight grimace and shake of the head, or maybe a downward glance; then softly, with an air of defeat] "Who is Schopenhauer?"

And me, with my suspicious mind, I'm thinking, "Dammit, Alex, you have known it was Schopenhauer this whole time!"

I had nearly said both of those things in my earlier post (down to a quote, starting with a four-letter word, of what I thought was going through Alex's mind) before I decided to edit it for length. In this case, I'm going to come down on the side of thinking Blume was a guess.

(BTW, I agree with Vaughn that Tuesday's game was the one that really showcased the knowledge aspect of Alex's game.)

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:06 am

Linear Gnome wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:
dhkendall wrote:

I had nearly said both of those things in my earlier post (down to a quote, starting with a four-letter word, of what I thought was going through Alex's mind) before I decided to edit it for length. In this case, I'm going to come down on the side of thinking Blume was a guess.

(BTW, I agree with Vaughn that Tuesday's game was the one that really showcased the knowledge aspect of Alex's game.)
As am I, but I'm also going to agree he does the same thing to stretch time for the home audience, or creating drama, or opponent mind games, and like the good poker player he is, you're not supposed to know when he's doing which. Alex is quickly becoming one of my top favourite players. (Ok I've always had an affinity for him since his first game).

BobF

Post by BobF » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:45 am

dexterG wrote:I am surprised they didn't give Alex credit for answering Frank as the name in the Double Jeopardy category, instead of Curt. It seems to me both answers fit the clue.
Although I said Curt, I thought Frank was acceptable as well.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

Bclay

Post by Bclay » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:50 am

JonathanHenke wrote:I can probably look this up, but holy crap, Alex's Daily Double wager! Was it the largest ever?
I'm not sure if you can search J-Archive for largest DD wagers, but I know both Joon Pahk and Roger Craig have wagered (and won) big before. Roger hit back to back DDs in his first game of the ToC, making both true DDs. The first was a 9k wager, the second was 18k. Both of Joon's were in math related categories (which he was clearly confident in), one being 14.2k and the other being 16.4k.

Roger also wagered 10.2k twice in the Battle of the Decades finals, but missed both.

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:57 am

dirkgonnadirk wrote:btw, we need to stop calling it a triple stumper when one person has no intention of trying to answer the question
No we don't.

periwinkle
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by periwinkle » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:20 am

I had CoMC - thought about Iron Mask, but since I wasn't sure if he ever took it off, and I knew the Count of Monte Crisco was imprisoned in a tower for a very long time, went with that.

I actually read some of that Judy Blume book this year, decided it wasn't my cup of tea (I hadn't taken to her last adult book either), and still took about the entire length of the DD to remember it. I'd read a couple interviews with her as well, and my local library kept promoting that she was visiting to speak and they were giving away copies of the book. Oy. "What is that, I've heard of it, I think I may have read it, or read an interview about it, why can't I remember...."