Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:08 pm

Game Recap for Show #6228, 2011-10-19

CONTESTANTS
Lloyd Caesar, an office manager from Watervliet, New York
Liz Greenwood, a graduate student in economics originally from Wyomissing, Pennsylvania (whose 1-day cash winnings total $1,599)
Lanny Timan, a business manager from Chicago, Illinois (whose 2-day cash winnings total $17,600)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny. Ladies and gentlemen, what's wrong with this picture? Up until yesterday, our Jeopardy! champions this season were averaging over $20,000 per win. Yesterday we had co-champions, two champions for the first time this year, and between them, they totaled $3,198. They're gonna earn more money than that today, believe me. Lloyd, you know what's in store for you. Good luck to all three of you. Here we go into the Jeopardy! Round...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
TURNING 50 IN 2011 (4/5)
TV PRIVATE EYES (2/5)
BIOLO"G" (5/5)
AMERICA BEFORE THE REVOLUTION (4/5, including 1 missed Daily Double)
PLUMBING (5/5)
MAN IN THE MIDDLE (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Liz: 13 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lanny: 7 R, 0 W
Lloyd: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 4
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $2,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Liz found the Daily Double on the 10th clue. Lanny had $1,800, Liz had $2,800, and Lloyd was at $400. Liz wagered $1,200.

AMERICA BEFORE THE REVOLUTION $1000: It remained a separate colony for most of its 71 years until it was absorbed by Massachusetts Bay Colony in 1691
(Liz: What is the Plimouth Plantation?)

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Liz: $2,200
Lanny: $2,000
Lloyd: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that maybe there's a military connection with our first contestant, Lloyd Caesar, because by the time you were 6 years old, you had lived in how many different countries?

Lloyd: Um... about, uh, four or five of them, yes.

Alex: Yeah?

Lloyd: Mm-hmm.

Alex: A military connection? Yeah?

Lloyd: Uh, no, my--my father was actually a minister, and he was moved around several times.

Alex: Ah, I see. Now were these countries exciting and positive experiences, or were you just too young to even remember them?

Lloyd: Um, I would say positive, but, yes. Um, like I said, by the time--I moved to the U.S. when I was about 6 years old, so, you know, my recollection of the earlier places is somewhat limited.

Alex: I see. All right.

Alex: Let's go to Liz Greenwood now. Are you a big Britney Spears fan?

Liz: I'm a pretty big fan, but I actually ran into her in a New York restaurant a few years ago. Um, but I was looking for one of my friends, and I saw some people at this table in a room I recognized, and I figured they were my friends, so I went over, and this giant man stopped me and said, "You're not going to that table," and I said, "Oh, I see my friends." And he said, "That's not your friends." And it turned out it was Britney Spears. She just looked familiar.

[Laughter]

Alex: Okay, Lanny Timan, when you came to the United States to go to college, your friends watched Jeopardy!, right?

Lanny: That's right, Alex.

Alex: And what was your reaction to them spending so much time watching our show?

Lanny: I was thinking, what is this crazy game? I've never seen that before.

Alex: Did you think they were wasting their time?

Lanny: Yes, I did at that time. [Laughs]

[Laughter]

Alex: Thanks a lot, Lanny.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
TV PRIVATE EYES $400: James Garner played this guy who lived in a Malibu trailer

TV PRIVATE EYES $600: She portrayed ex-model Maddie Hayes
(Alex: Series was Moonlighting, and the actress was [*].)

TURNING 50 IN 2011 $800: A 2011 stamp celebrates the 50th anniversary of his historic flight aboard the Mercury capsule Freedom 7
(Lloyd: Who is John Glenn?)

TV PRIVATE EYES $800: This late actor drove a T-Bird as Dan Tanna
(Alex: The series was Vega$; the actor was [*].)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Liz: $7,200
Lanny: $3,000
Lloyd: $2,200

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Wed Oct 19, 2011 3:08 pm

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
PATRON SAINTS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE ROCK & ROLL CALENDAR (5/5)
BESTSELLERS (4/5)
IT'S IN THE PAPERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
EXPORTS (5/5)
"RIGHT" OR "LEFT" (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Lloyd: 13 R (including 1 rebound and 2 DDs), 1 W
Liz: 12 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Lanny: 4 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 1
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Lloyd snagged the next Daily Double on the 14th clue. Lanny had $6,600, Liz had $12,000, and Lloyd was at $6,600. Lloyd wagered $2,000.

PATRON SAINTS $1600: Born in 1225, this Italian is the patron saint of Catholic schools, universities & colleges

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Lloyd who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 21st clue. Lanny had $9,000, Liz had $12,000, and Lloyd was at $11,400. Lloyd wagered $4,000.

IT'S IN THE PAPERS $1600: The full title of a Dickens novel is "The Posthumous Papers of" this club

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
BESTSELLERS $400: In 2011 this son of a president published the moving memoir "My Father at 100"

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Liz: $20,400
Lloyd: $19,800
Lanny: $8,600

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
THE 20th CENTURY

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place. Shore's Conjecture.
Liz: Wager $19,201 to cover Lloyd. If you feel like using Shoretegy, try wagering $2,001.
Lloyd: Your score is within 4/5ths of Liz's, so wager between $1,201 (venusian) and $2,599 (martian), beating Liz's maximum safe bet of the difference between your scores while still covering against a doubled score on Lanny's part.
Lanny: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Lloyd, but if Lloyd decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $7,400.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In the 1940s Franklin Roosevelt coined this term in reference to all the countries allied against the Axis powers

FINAL SCORES
Lanny: $8,600 - $7,599 = $1,001 (What is the Allied Powers?) (3rd place: $1,000)
Lloyd: $19,800 + $2,559 = $22,359 (What is the United Nations) (New champion: $22,359)
Liz: $20,400 - $19,200 = $1,200 (What are good g ?) (2nd place: $2,000)
(Liz: [Upon reveal of her response] Good guys.)
[Laughter]

Total Potential Lach Trash: $3,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Liz: $21,600, 25 R, 1 W (including 1 DD)
Lloyd: $17,000, 18 R (including 2 DDs), 2 W
Lanny: $8,600, 11 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $47,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Liz: 25/59 = .424
Lloyd: 19/60 = .317
Lanny: 11/58 = .190
Team: 55/63 = .873

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
TURNING 50 IN 2011 $600: As it turns 50, this timeless movie is now available on Blu-ray

TURNING 50 IN 2011 $1000: The logo of this conservation group founded in 1961 was based on a real animal named Chi-Chi
(Alex: That is right, and it's known as the World Wide Fund for Nature in countries outside the United States.)

EXPORTS $2000: Chile is the largest exporter of this sushi ingredient, & virtually all of it is imported by Japan

"RIGHT" OR "LEFT" $1600: Completes the Robert Browning line "God's in his heaven--all's..."
(Lloyd: [*]?)
(Alex: You forgot to phrase it in the form of a question, Lloyd.)

IT'S IN THE PAPERS $2000: Microfilm called the Pumpkin Papers was evidence against this State Department official who was pursued by Richard Nixon
[A subtitle credited the National Archives in Washington, D.C.]

THE ROCK & ROLL CALENDAR $400: 2011's "Goodbye Lullaby" is the fourth album from this Canadian woman whose first name is a French month
(Lanny: Who is April Lavigne?)

THE ROCK & ROLL CALENDAR $1600: In early 2011 "Portlandia" debuted on TV & this Portland band went to No. 1

"Down by the water /
Down by the old main drag..."

CORRECT RESPONSES
the Plymouth Colony
Jim Rockford
Cybill Shepherd
Alan Shepard
Robert Urich
St. Thomas Aquinas
the Pickwick Club
Ronald Reagan Jr.
United Nations
Breakfast at Tiffany's
the WWF (the World Wildlife Fund)
sea urchin
right with the world
Alger Hiss
Avril Lavigne
the Decemberists

Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Picked Off » Wed Oct 19, 2011 5:43 pm

Some last-minute retroactive good luck to my fellow Capital Regioner Lloyd!
Season 27 player and lifelong fan

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 7:28 pm

The 20th Century
In the 1940s Franklin Roosevelt coined this term in reference to all the countries allied against the Axis powers.
SpoilerShow
What is the United Nations? Lanny said the Allied Powers; Liz said the good guys, although it looked incomplete.
Liz Greenwood: $20,400-$19,200=$1,200
Lloyd Caesar: $19,800+$2,559=$22,359...now a 1-day champion with $22,359
Lanny Timan: $8,600-$7,599=$1,001
Last edited by jeff6286 on Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:00 pm

What a great game! This game more than made up for the not so good one last night. It's a shame that any of them had to lose.

I liked the FJ clue, too, even though I blanked on it.

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:16 pm

I too blanked on FJ, couldn't even think of a reasonable guess, and neither could 2 of the contestants. I had a feeling it was going to be something really simple and obvious once I heard the answer, and indeed it was. I couldn't even think of a funny answer, like the Justice League, or Superfriends.

Interesting that Liz once again left open the possibility of a tie by not adding the extra dollar to her wager, but Lloyd was having none of that with his wager of $2,559. Lanny also appeared to mis-wager, betting $200 more than she should have and costing herself $1,000 by finishing in 3rd place instead of 2nd. Liz won more with her 2nd place finish today than she did with her win yesterday, plus she gets some Aleve!

What was Magnum P.I. doing in the TV Private Eyes category? I always thought that he was more of an espionage agency. :D

Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek

Post by Roadgeek Adam » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:21 pm

I pulled FJ out of my ass, about 8 seconds left after 22 seconds of coming up with names. I knew Allied Powers was wrong, so I had to work with words meaning "Allied". I feel like Lloyd under-wagered on the St. Thomas Aquinas DD, but that's probably a little biased since I know a lot about Thomas Aquinas. The Jeopardy Round had an easy board, Double Jeopardy was a little more average.

Congrats to Lloyd for a killer DJ Round and sending the cochamps both home.
Avatar: Mickey's Hot Dogs - Greenburgh, NY (1929 - present)

mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 8:31 pm

jeff6286 wrote:What was Magnum P.I. doing in the TV Private Eyes category? I always thought that he was more of an espionage agency. :D
Except for the whole "P.I." part there... hehehe.

Missed FJ - was drawing a blank, and said 'free world' with about 8 seconds left - that was all I could come up with. Congrats to LLoyd! His DJ was impressive to watch - he came from fairly far back.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 9:59 pm

Screeeech THUD

Wow- thought I'd have to be embarrassed about my FJ streak coming to a crashing halt, but I see I wasn't alone blanking on it. And in true TPH fashion, couldn't even offer a bluff.

WTG Lloyd, who's from my neck of the woods, down there around my anterior vena cava.

Paucle
Trekardy! Writer

Post by Paucle » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:03 pm

jeff6286 wrote:What was Magnum P.I. doing in the TV Private Eyes category? I always thought that he was more of an espionage agency. :D
That's not the question. The question is when the hell did an iconic TV character like Jim Rockford become a stand-and-stare on Jeopardy! ?

goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:14 pm

FJ's use of the word "term" threw me off the scent. I don't think of "United Nations" as a term or a phrase, just as a name. The only thing I could think of was "free world" and spent most of the rest of the think music debating whether FDR would have used that term even though he would have been including the USSR.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:39 pm

goforthetie wrote:FJ's use of the word "term" threw me off the scent. I don't think of "United Nations" as a term or a phrase, just as a name. The only thing I could think of was "free world" and spent most of the rest of the think music debating whether FDR would have used that term even though he would have been including the USSR.
I started with League of Nations, but checking that with the year, it didn't make sense. So, I hesitantly did guess United Nations. Good thing I didn't think of "free world", or I might have went with that.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:42 pm

Paucle wrote:
That's not the question. The question is when the hell did an iconic TV character like Jim Rockford become a stand-and-stare on Jeopardy! ?
No kidding! I hope James Garner knows there were thousands of people yelling at their TV sets tonight.

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Wed Oct 19, 2011 10:48 pm

I got half of FJ right by just flailing at a guess. With five seconds left I wanted to have something on the paper and wrote United Front. All I could do was laugh at Lloyd's response being correct. Word & phrase type things get me multiple times every season.

The game was Jekyll & Hyde for me with 27 & 14 correct. Liz rocked and rolled through most of the music category while I took a skunk. The best I could have done was to rebound Lanny's April Lavigne, but I don't count that at home.

TV Private Eyes had me ready to wager a huge side bet that Robert Urich would be a TS. If no one could get Rockford or Cybil Shepherd then there was no way they were going to get the even harder one for $1600. Veronica Mars being scooped up by Liz for $1000 was just as predictable. That one seemed to fit more into her era based on her Britney interview story.

I'm not sure how the writers could do it, but with the players also not getting Alan Shepard I wondered if some kind of FJ clue could look for a Cybil Shepherd/Alan Shephard combo referencing both getting no correct responses tonight.

The players really handled the DJ material well to end up with an impressive 47200 combined Coryat. The outcome was in doubt with all kinds of scenarios possible. In the end it was newbie Lloyd getting the win over players with experience.

chuck5982
Jeopardy! Fan

Post by chuck5982 » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:04 pm

Tonight was the first regular-play game since September 13, 2010 in which all three players competed in more than one game.

First round easy-peasy, second round tougher. Did enjoy the Man in the Middle and Rock and Roll categories.

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk » Wed Oct 19, 2011 11:07 pm

yay—this was a great game to watch and the players performed well. also, since i met lloyd at my 8/29 taping date, my streak of knowing at least one jeopardy contestant will extend to 19 episodes. not bad! lloyd seemed pretty surprised every time he got a question right (especially on pickwick), but then just kept on being surprised until he was jeopardy champion. nicely played.

Woof
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by Woof » Thu Oct 20, 2011 12:44 am

What a see-saw match, with each player exhibiting superior buzzer speed at some point in the match. Lloyd was fortunate to hit both DJ DDs, not only enhancing his own total (especially with a good second wager) but preventing Liz from distancing herself before FJ. Good get on FJ, too! I blanked on it, only coming up with the hopelessly anachronistic "Coalition of the willing" for lack of a more reasonable response. I was sure that it would be a head slapper, as it proved to be, as I could see the parallel with the "cold war" coinage, but that didn't help me come up with an answer.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall » Thu Oct 20, 2011 1:17 am

Idly wondering if "Reagan" alone would have been acceptable for the first clue in the $400 clue in "Best Sellers" (primarily because I couldn't remember his first name). Something's telling me it would depend on the mood of the judges (or Alex's ability to jump in and award right away) whether it gets marked right, wrong, or BMSed. (For the record, I marked it as "wrong" on my sheet). Not asking for an official judges' call (unless there's an outcry to change my incorrect mark ;) ) but more of a curiosity.

The answer to FJ has stuck with me ever since, doing some research one day at the library, I came across an old book of national anthems from around WWII-era. It was labelled "Anthems of the United Nations" and had the anthems of pretty much all the countries that were allied against the Axis powers at the time (I also recall it was my first time coming across the then-royal anthems of Iraq and Ethiopia, two anthems that I like). I thought calling it "anthems of the united nations" was rather an odd title, until I remembered that the UN was originally set up as a "we beat Germany" club (Japan wasn't a member until the mid 50s, and the Germanies weren't until 1973), which made me realize where the term "United Nations" came from. I was unaware it was FDR's coinage until today, though.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:04 am

This game is a draw for the Strong Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "small." --Bob

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium » Thu Oct 20, 2011 2:55 am

Great game. I wish Lloyd hadn't misphrased, so his victory could have been more lucrative, but 22 grand and change is nothing to sneeze at. Kudos to him for good wagering. And good on Liz for a nice step up from yesterday's game; breaking $20,000 with no DD help and even a DD hindrance is no small feat. Speaking of that DD error, it was the second game in a row that Liz gave an incorrect response that would have been right if she had just stopped talking a moment sooner.

I'm 0/3 this week. First shut-out week of the season? We'll see.