Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 8463
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote:Great game. I wish Lloyd hadn't misphrased, so his victory could have been more lucrative, but 22 grand and change is nothing to sneeze at.
That's right! I'd forgotten all about that. That misphrasing cost him the lead going into FJ. He was only $600 behind Liz. I would have felt extra sick for him if he'd gotten FJ right and lost.

I guess I can feel bad for Liz, too. (Is she in the all-time bottom 10 for total winnings?) But rightly or wrongly, I just feel as though if you're a Britney fan, life hasn't dealt you too many punches to the gut. I'm sure she's already bounced back and is as chirpy as ever.
Kudos to him for good wagering. And good on Liz for a nice step up from yesterday's game; breaking $20,000 with no DD help and even a DD hindrance is no small feat. Speaking of that DD error, it was the second game in a row that Liz gave an incorrect response that would have been right if she had just stopped talking a moment sooner.
Refresh my memory there? I recall the situation but not the details and the slackers at the J! Archive haven't put the game up yet despite having had literally HOURS to do so.

Looking back at Tuesday night reminds me that her similar error then was to say "What is GMC," disqualifying herself by a single letter.

By the way, I spent most of Tuesday's game with half of my mind on the question, "Who does Liz remind me of?" I finally figured it out long after the game was over. She reminds me of Skyler's sister on Breaking Bad. Marie Schrader is the character's name; Betsy Brandt's the actress. She's a little too old in most pictures I could find. Liz specifically reminds me of this character from Season 1, more than three years ago. Here's a small pic that I think gets at what I saw:

Image

So on Wednesday night I mentioned this to Mrs Penguin. She said, "Yes! She's the missing sister." And I realized that she was right. Liz reminded me of Betsy Brandt more, but there was some Anna Gunn (the actress who plays Skyler) in there as well. What do you think?

Image

Other than the hair color, this may look more like my fading mental image of Liz than the Betsy Brandt picture does. In any event, Liz would fit right in with those two.

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2814
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by John Boy »

Duh.

Never ever heard the Allies in WWII called anything but the Allies.

Axis vs. Allies. yep. No stinkin' clue....

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Kudos to him for good wagering. And good on Liz for a nice step up from yesterday's game; breaking $20,000 with no DD help and even a DD hindrance is no small feat. Speaking of that DD error, it was the second game in a row that Liz gave an incorrect response that would have been right if she had just stopped talking a moment sooner.
Refresh my memory there? I recall the situation but not the details and the slackers at the J! Archive haven't put the game up yet despite having had literally HOURS to do so.

Looking back at Tuesday night reminds me that her similar error then was to say "What is GMC," disqualifying herself by a single letter.
Yes, and the DD error was throwing "plantation" at the end of her response when "Plymouth" would have sufficed.

User avatar
econgator
Let's Go Mets!
Posts: 9480
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 10:32 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by econgator »

dhkendall wrote:Idly wondering if "Reagan" alone would have been acceptable for the first clue in the $400 clue in "Best Sellers" (primarily because I couldn't remember his first name).
Don't see why it wouldn't. If pressed for a BMS, all you'd have to say is, "Who is Ronald Reagan?", because, well, that's his name, too. He's called "Junior", but only in the same vein as Bush, Sr. and Bush, Jr. Dad is Ronald Wilson Reagan and he is Ronald Prescott Reagan.

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

goforthetie wrote:FJ's use of the word "term" threw me off the scent. I don't think of "United Nations" as a term or a phrase, just as a name. The only thing I could think of was "free world" and spent most of the rest of the think music debating whether FDR would have used that term even though he would have been including the USSR.
This. Kudos to Lloyd and the boardies who solved it, but what a crappy FJ. Leaving aside the questionable phrasing, it was one of those factoids that either (i) you know, (ii) you don't know, or (iii) you stumble into it, as opposed to something that can be fairly reasoned out in the allotted time. I fell into the second of those classifications. :evil:

I thought the "man in the middle" category was kids-week level. Incidentally, I never heard of "Hoppin' John" (but of course, you really only had to know one half of any of those clues to solve it).
Last edited by hbomb1947 on Thu Oct 20, 2011 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits
Posts: 2430
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by hbomb1947 »

econgator wrote:
dhkendall wrote:Idly wondering if "Reagan" alone would have been acceptable for the first clue in the $400 clue in "Best Sellers" (primarily because I couldn't remember his first name).
Don't see why it wouldn't. If pressed for a BMS, all you'd have to say is, "Who is Ronald Reagan?", because, well, that's his name, too. He's called "Junior", but only in the same vein as Bush, Sr. and Bush, Jr. Dad is Ronald Wilson Reagan and he is Ronald Prescott Reagan.
A BMS definitely would have been elicited, since there's another son, Michael Reagan (admittedly, Michael was adopted, but I don't think he needed to be the Gipper's biological progeny to be a potential response to the clue).
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

User avatar
xxaaaxx
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2131
Joined: Fri Aug 05, 2011 9:29 pm
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by xxaaaxx »

Crashed after a long day yesterday and had to play it off the archive. Timing myself, I finally blurted out "United Nations" with 5 seconds to spare, after rejecting "Allied Powers" and remembering that "League of Nations" predates the 1940s by quite a bit. Reminded me of that Churchill/"Iron Curtain" clue a while back; at the time, I didn't know the origin of that term either, so I ended up fumbling around for phrases from that era that might fit. Missed that one, managed to eke out this one. I'll take it.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes
Posts: 10827
Joined: Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:39 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

My eight in a row streak wasn't as impressive as Paucle, but I also crashed and burned on this FJ. I reread the answer a couple times to see if allies would work. Rejected it because "allied" was part of it. Went with "Big Four", as that is what I've always heard the US/USSR/GB/France (or their leaders) referred to. Wasn't real confident and alex's comments about it being a common term now made me sure my run was over.

Yes, Reagan alone would definately need a BMS, especially since I said Michael.

User avatar
Roadgeek Adam
TOC Geek
Posts: 380
Joined: Mon Jul 04, 2011 4:20 pm
Location: East Amherst, New York
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Roadgeek Adam »

Bamaman wrote:My eight in a row streak wasn't as impressive as Paucle, but I also crashed and burned on this FJ. I reread the answer a couple times to see if allies would work. Rejected it because "allied" was part of it. Went with "Big Four", as that is what I've always heard the US/USSR/GB/France (or their leaders) referred to. Wasn't real confident and alex's comments about it being a common term now made me sure my run was over.

Yes, Reagan alone would definately need a BMS, especially since I said Michael.
Yeah I went Michael Reagan as well. (Personally he's the more well known son)
Adam Seth Moss
DoorDasher (since May 7, 2020)
M.A. History, Western Illinois Univ, 2017
B.A. History (minors in PoliSci & PubAdm), Montclair State Univ, 2015
A.A. History & Education, Middlesex County Coll., 2013

User avatar
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer
Posts: 615
Joined: Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:16 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by jpahk »

unless i'm misremembering, maggie told us that the tue aug 30 tape date (when this week's shows were all filmed) was the end of the ToC cycle, so this episode closes the book on the 2011 ToC field. lloyd can't qualify for it, although if he keeps winning he can make it into the next ToC (whenever that may be—perhaps spring of '13?).

legendneverdies
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 1605
Joined: Tue Jul 05, 2011 10:52 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by legendneverdies »

Roadgeek Adam wrote: Yeah I went Michael Reagan as well. (Personally he's the more well known son)
Most people never saw this show in 1987-88, but as Adam and the game show minded know, Michael Reagan hosted the taped in Canada(but aired on some US stations in syndication) original version of Lingo. The show of course has been a staple on GSN with their new versions of it from 2002-07 and this year(both versions still air in reruns, no word on whether the 2011 version will have new episodes in 2012)

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

hbomb1947 wrote:I thought the "man in the middle" category was kids-week level. Incidentally, I never heard of "Hoppin' John" (but of course, you really only had to know one half of any of those clues to solve it).
I remembered it from the first ToC 2010 quarterfinal, especially since I believe mrbungle was thinking of it when he renamed the category it appeared in "FOODS ONLY LIZ MURPHY HAS HEARD OF."

Suze
Jeopardy! Contestant
Posts: 198
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:50 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Suze »

jpahk wrote:unless i'm misremembering, maggie told us that the tue aug 30 tape date (when this week's shows were all filmed) was the end of the ToC cycle, so this episode closes the book on the 2011 ToC field. lloyd can't qualify for it, although if he keeps winning he can make it into the next ToC (whenever that may be—perhaps spring of '13?).
Yes, that's what I remember from my taping day the week before- that the next week was the last chance to qualify for this TOC. Field's closed now, place your bets. :)

"Hoppin' John" was on the latest episode of "Boardwalk Empire."

User avatar
Wimple
Jeopardy! Fan
Posts: 62
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:05 pm
Location: So Cal

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Wimple »

Yeah I went Michael Reagan as well. (Personally he's the more well known son)
Unless you listen to/watch progressive radio and TV shows.

Missed final - but liked the clue because I found out something that I know I'll remember (unlike the name of Washington's biographer from last Saturday's rerun).

User avatar
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 718
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2011 5:29 pm

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by Budphrey »

Congrats to all three contestants for a well-played game (which I only had time to watch tonight), with lots of suspense right to the end. And count me as avidly admiring Lloyd's necktie flair.

I remember hearing the term "United Nations" used as a synonym for "Allied Powers" in a recording of a radio broadcast from, I think, early 1945.

Alex said a couple of pretty arguable things in this show. The first was early on, when he pointed out that the returning co-champs had combined for less than $3,200, then said something like "No doubt you'll earn a lot more today." He may have meant to say "No doubt the champ will earn a lot more today," but as it was it sounded as though he was predicting Lanny or Liz would win, because that's the only way the two of them would combine for more than $3,000 in winnings.

The other one, just before the FJ! responses were revealed, was when he said the correct response was a "popular term." Having grown up in the Mountain West, I have to report (my own opinion notwithstanding) that there are a pretty large number of people among whom the term "United Nations" is not popular at all.

Last random observation: Those who think Michael Reagan is the better-known son evidently never had the image of Ron Reagan Jr. in underpants seared into their brains from his SNL appearance parodying Risky Business.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool
Posts: 740
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:51 am
Location: Seattle
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by reddpen »

Budphrey wrote:Having grown up in the Mountain West, I have to report (my own opinion notwithstanding) that there are a pretty large number of people among whom the term "United Nations" is not popular at all.
United Nations --> 100K Chinese troops on the Canadian border --> black helicopters --> NAFTA Superhighway --> destruction of America as we knew it. I once read an editorial in a Montana paper that treated all this as if it were fact or inevitable. Whole lotta crazy out there... (Btw, I also said "free world" but didn't like my chances.)

I was never a fan, but I'd guess The Rockford Files is now most popular among the same segment that loves Murder, She Wrote and Matlock. And I have got to stop muddling Alan Shepard (first US man in space) with John Glenn (first US man to orbit earth).
Back in the pool

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

reddpen wrote:And I have got to stop muddling Alan Shepard (first US man in space) with John Glenn (first US man to orbit earth).
Me too. And this was just one of the 50/50s I muddled in this game. Checking J! Archive to jog my memory of the other...

Ah yes, Minuit vs. Stuyvesant. Couldn't remember who did what, and swung the wrong way.

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8783
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by dhkendall »

Budphrey wrote:Having grown up in the Mountain West, I have to report (my own opinion notwithstanding) that there are a pretty large number of people among whom the term "United Nations" is not popular at all.
I don't think that word (popular) means what you think it means. "United Nations" is indeed a popular term, but I would say most people, while they might not have the paranoia level of a red stater, are indifferent to the organization at best, it's popular in the sense that it's in common parlance, but not popular in the sense of well-liked
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns
Posts: 7529
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 9:31 am

Re: Wednesday, October 19, 2011 Game Recap & Disc (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

dhkendall wrote:
Budphrey wrote:Having grown up in the Mountain West, I have to report (my own opinion notwithstanding) that there are a pretty large number of people among whom the term "United Nations" is not popular at all.
I don't think that word (popular) means what you think it means.
...
popular in the sense of well-liked
Sounds to me like it does.

Post Reply