Friday, November 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Blue Lion
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 20, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Blue Lion »

hbomb1947 wrote:I was extremely disappointed that the writers used the sanitized version of the the Snakes on a Plane quote (the one that SyFy had used when they cablecast that film) on the Samuel L. Jackson clue. :D
"M**********r" was not just one of George Carlin's "Seven Dirty Words" (which led to the FCC fining broadcasters for indecency), but Carlin said it and "c********r" were the two worst because they were "busy words" with "lots of syllables."

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

Congrats to Alex on the well deserved victory! Also, congrats to Matt and Kerry for their impressive showings!

Alex T. calling what Alex J. did the most dominating performance in any tournament of his era sure is a high compliment! It took nearly 30 years, but someone finally dominated a ToC more than Chuck Forrest dominated his (sorry, Chuck, but Alex had a tougher field to navigate through).

I thought that this was an easy and mostly well written board, though I did hate the "made up superheroes category." Also, Trebek's response to "Stroganov" perfectly summed up how I felt about that clue.

I thought for sure that Matt would get himself back in it when he hit the DD in a category on U.S. government. I guessed correctly on the clue, but those Cabinet department clues can be tough to narrow down. That was a tough break for Matt.

I was super excited when I saw the FJ category. Unfortunately, this one was a stand and stare for me. I considered Kierkegaard, but I thought that he died about 20-30 years later than what the clue indicated. Personally, I thought that it was a pretty dumb clue, but it ended up not really mattering.

I would love to see Alex J. get a crack at Jennings and/or Rutter, and I have a feeling that Matt might also eventually get that same opportunity.

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman »

Fantastic win in style with a very humble and charismatic TOC champ. The wife likes AJ; "He's such a nice boy, I'm so glad he beat that uppity little whippersnapper!"

44R for goats with some difficulty did tease out the FJ, redeeming my fail to get Edmond Dantes in Thursday's match.
LT: economizer, beef stroganoff; get on Missed DD: "Health and Human Svcs" for FDA agency cabinet.

IMHO expecting folks without a physics degree to get curium + calcium -> Livermorium (AN 116) was quite a stretch!
TPTB could've easily smithed this very interesting topic into a clue that ordinary humans could respond to, e.g.:
Bombarding this element, named for it's discoverer, the first woman to receive Nobel prizes in both Physics and Chemistry, with Calcium ions yielded the new element, Livermorium.

Or some such. O well! Great game, super TOC! All the players were competitive and entertaining! :D
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Amazing run OMG, can't wait to see you in the next super-tournament
Total game show career losings = $171,522

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

hbomb1947 wrote:
Winchell Factor wrote:So, I understand about recency bias, and I acknowledge that I have a vested interest in saying this, but:

I don't think there's any doubt that Alex is one of the 10 best players of the last decade. Maybe pretty high up in that list; I haven't really tried to figure it out.
Respectfully, only saying "one of the top 10," IMO, understates how great a player Alex is. I sure would like to see him in a matchup against Roger Craig, as well as seeing if he could hang with Rutter and Jennings. I would say Alex is indeed high up on the list (and after all, he does have the same number of regular-season victories as Roger).

For those who are familiar with the sabermetric concept of "similarity scores," if there were a way to compute those for J! contestants, I would guess that Roger would be the most similar player to Alex.
From a previous thread to compare players:

A smattering of average Coryats through five games (doubling those who played with original clue values); for players who appeared in Season 20 or later, in parentheses is the average Coryat over their entire run.

Chuck Forrest: $22,440
Frank Spangenberg: $21,080
Jerome Vered: $27,480
Dan Melia: $19,640
Robin Carroll: $22,760
Brad Rutter: $21,960
Brian Weikle: $26,520

Ken Jennings: $27,000 ($27,861)
David Madden: $23,240 ($19,300)
Tom Kavanaugh: $14,760 ($14,089)
Dan Pawson: $14,680 ($14,340)
Larissa Kelly: $20,560 ($19,429)
Roger Craig: $24,440 ($23,657)
Tom Nissley: $16,840 ($16,800)
Jason Keller: $21,280 ($19,000)
Stephanie Jass: $22,080 ($21,250)

Drew Horwood: $11,960 ($13,644)
Ben Ingram: $16,800 ($16,733)
Arthur Chu: $20,960 ($21,117)
Julia Collins: $16,480 ($19,400)

Alex Jacob: $21,840 ($20,286)
Greg Seroka: $19,560 ($17,925)

Matt Jackson: $24,000 ($24,371 through seven games)
Total game show career losings = $171,522

eureka
Valued Contributor

Post by eureka »

I think Alex was aided by given way too much time on his DDs on Tuesday and the two final games.

georgespelvin
The Charlie Brown of Jeopardy Auditions

Post by georgespelvin »

Congratulations OMG Wheelhouse! Dominating performance. My wife and mother want to know if you really pulled the DD responses out at the last second or if you were just being dramatic. My guess is that you had arrived at what turned out to be the correct responses but was cautiously assessing other possibilities because you were not sure.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

eureka wrote:I think Alex was aided by given way too much time on his DDs on Tuesday and the two final games.
The judges, and Standards & Practices, disagree.

There's no legitimate way to take away from the dominance of Alex's performance.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Golf

Post by Golf »

eureka wrote:I think Alex was aided by given way too much time on his DDs on Tuesday and the two final games.
You also probably think Matt should have been ruled correct on today's DD and Kerry should have started each of the final games with $10k. A better possibility is that floridagator hacked your account.

The $100 DD wager by Alex was just as strategically perfect as his earlier TDD's. Nothing else to say but incredible job all around. I'd bet, like November Niners prepping like crazy for the final table, that Alex immersed himself totally in order to crush.

MitchO

Post by MitchO »

You do understand the show is edited and you may not see the correct time every time?

Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

I'm just as okay with Alex winning as I would've been with Matt winning, but I don't understand why this board always bends over backwards for Alex and does anything it can to disparage Matt. You all should be ashamed of yourselves, although at least you aren't as mean as those people on the Facebook page. If you call Matt's daily double celebrations unsportsmanlike, than you also have to call Alex's stalling unsportsmanlike. I think neither are. Alex's running out the clock in regular games left lots of clues unanswered. At least Matt tried to finish both boards.

Congratulations, Alex, on winning the ToC and for knocking out Arthur Chu from the top 10 on the all-time money list. I appreciated your play just as much as I appreciated the play of all of the other contestants the past two weeks, and thought the whole group did awesomely well. I still approve of your win despite the actions of your fan club because I am a fan of Jeopardy! and not a fan of a particular contestant. If things had gone differently the past two days and Matt won, I doubt you would say anything nice about him and would be making a whole bunch of excuses about why Alex lost.

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

What a blowout! Anyone want to calculate for me the point in the game where Matt couldn't get enough to win? Was it when he missed the DD? What happens if AJ misses yesterday's DD and Matt gets today's?

SteelyPat
Contributor

Post by SteelyPat »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm just as okay with Alex winning as I would've been with Matt winning, but I don't understand why this board always bends over backwards for Alex and does anything it can to disparage Matt. You all should be ashamed of yourselves, although at least you aren't as mean as those people on the Facebook page. If you call Matt's daily double celebrations unsportsmanlike, than you also have to call Alex's stalling unsportsmanlike. I think neither are. Alex's running out the clock in regular games left lots of clues unanswered. At least Matt tried to finish both boards.

Congratulations, Alex, on winning the ToC and for knocking out Arthur Chu from the top 10 on the all-time money list. I appreciated your play just as much as I appreciated the play of all of the other contestants the past two weeks, and thought the whole group did awesomely well. I still approve of your win despite the actions of your fan club because I am a fan of Jeopardy! and not a fan of a particular contestant. If things had gone differently the past two days and Matt won, I doubt you would say anything nice about him and would be making a whole bunch of excuses about why Alex lost.
This board is not a hivemind (as far as I can tell). Trust me, there are people who like Matt Jackson populating this very place.

mfc248

Post by mfc248 »

opusthepenguin wrote:What a blowout! Anyone want to calculate for me the point in the game where Matt couldn't get enough to win? Was it when he missed the DD? What happens if AJ misses yesterday's DD and Matt gets today's?
Feel free to check my math on this, but I believe it was two clues after the DD miss. After Matt negged on Clapper = Director of Intelligence, the total value of clues left was $20,400 (6 x 400 + 6 x 800 + 2 x 1200 + 3 x 1600 + 3 x 2000). Had Matt swept them all and Alex set his buzzer signaling device down, Matt would have finished DJ at $19,200. His maximum would have been (19,200 x 2 + 3000) = 41,400. Alex, at that point, had (29,600 + 11,900) = 41,500.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

MitchO wrote:
You do understand the show is edited and you may not see the correct time every time?
While you are correct that the show is edited, it is highly unlikely that the timing of the DD play is edited. The only edits during actual gameplay are when something has to be redone due to unforeseen circumstances. (Well, timing of tournament QF games for the purpose of fitting in all clues, too.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.

chrisahurt
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by chrisahurt »

Congratulations, Alex. That was a great couple of games. Glad to see Matt and Kerry hanging in there, too. Terrific runs by both.

MollyQMurphy
Silver Medalist

Post by MollyQMurphy »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm just as okay with Alex winning as I would've been with Matt winning, but I don't understand why this board always bends over backwards for Alex and does anything it can to disparage Matt. You all should be ashamed of yourselves, although at least you aren't as mean as those people on the Facebook page. If you call Matt's daily double celebrations unsportsmanlike, than you also have to call Alex's stalling unsportsmanlike. I think neither are. Alex's running out the clock in regular games left lots of clues unanswered. At least Matt tried to finish both boards.

I would also say there was (and is) a lot of love for Matt on this board, and relatively few who disparage him. That said, I was completely pleased by OMG's performance throughout, and his humility demonstrated along the way. I think he's shown some unique game-playing aspects that will make the game grow in the future, just as Arthur Chu did; it's good that a simple trivia game can continue to be refined and improved over 30 years through strategic choices and unexpected tactics.

Well done, Alex! What's next?
Pending...

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:I'm just as okay with Alex winning as I would've been with Matt winning, but I don't understand why this board always bends over backwards for Alex and does anything it can to disparage Matt.
Hyperbole much?

I don't recall much disparagement of Matt on this board at all -- people were excited during his regular-play run, and plenty of people here were rooting for him in the finals. Those of us who were on #teamjacob had nothing against Matt, we just thought Alex was a better all-around player, and/or had personal reasons for rooting for him.

ETA: The one exception that comes to mind is that during Matt's regular run, some folks here foolishly speculated as to whether he was on the spectrum. But those speculations, while extremely misguided, didn't amount to disparagement in my view.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

I don't see a lot of disrespect for Matt on JBoard, either. Facebook? Hell, yeah, and I've been over there trying to set the record straight on Matt, whom I'm truly proud to count as a friend, as often as I can. But not so much here, I don't think. Yes, there was some speculation about Matt's persona when he played before, but after something of a brouhaha over whether that was appropriate, it stopped.

Yes, the Board tilts toward Alex over Matt in this Tournament. Alex has posted here (albeit off and on) longer than I have and longer than Kerry has. (I think Kristin first registered--in 2011, was it? Before my time, anyway.) Now, when I was first playing last December (and I was a new arrival under the terms of Slam's Rule), grindcore said in a comment on the December 29 game:
Plus, our guy won. Good job, our guy.
I think that's what we're seeing here. The JBoard, in general, likes to root for its own. Why is that surprising? I don't think there are a lot of New Yorkers rooting for the Astros, or Montrealers cheering for the Bruins. Boardies who make it on the show are our home team. That's why we keep and update a thread listing their initial appearances. (BTW, I don't actually do that. Thanks to the people who actually do that.) Why is there anything wrong in rooting for our guy or gal?

worldwidewebster
Valued Contributor

Post by worldwidewebster »

FWIW, I think Matt is adorable and I was rooting for him to do well (not that I was rooting "against" Alex or Kerry). I think there's really only one or two people here who gripe about Matt, and they're people who gripe about *everything* so are probably best ignored.