Adult online tests coming in Jan 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Adult online tests coming in Jan 2016

Post by triviawayne »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:For the first time (other than the original year of 2006, when there were widespread computer problems and all Eastern people were allowed to retake the Pacific version), my schedule will require me to take the "wrong" test - Central when I live in Eastern. I know that such things are ultimately unknowable, but are there any theories as to how that will affect my likelihood of being randomly selected (assuming I pass) for the next round? Can anyone report getting an audition (or even reaching the show) from a wrong time zone test?
Audition slots are from a random draw of all those who passed for each city on the list. The only thing that would change is the test for each night and some tests you will find are easier than others, good luck getting the one that best suits you.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:For the first time (other than the original year of 2006, when there were widespread computer problems and all Eastern people were allowed to retake the Pacific version), my schedule will require me to take the "wrong" test - Central when I live in Eastern. I know that such things are ultimately unknowable, but are there any theories as to how that will affect my likelihood of being randomly selected (assuming I pass) for the next round? Can anyone report getting an audition (or even reaching the show) from a wrong time zone test?

I found a 2014 online test pdf that says this:
While we encourage you to take the test in your own time zone, you may take the test on another night depending on the demands of your schedule. There is no need to re-register or to contact us if you wish to take the test on one of the other nights it is offered. Make sure that you account for the time difference.

I don't think the word "wrong" is useful - nor is giving yourself something else to worry about.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Can anyone report getting an audition (or even reaching the show) from a wrong time zone test?
I've gotten two invites from the "wrong" test.
Carpe Diem
Boardeh

Post by Carpe Diem »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:Can anyone report getting an audition (or even reaching the show) from a wrong time zone test?
Yes.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

All that and more.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

Yes, I take it every year in the "wrong" time because every year Central is on Wednesday, and Wednesday nights are bad for me. And, as my current avatar shows, I had an audition.

(Heck, I'm thinking of even taking it "just for fun" this year in the wrong time zone, if they allow Canadian registration by then that is.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

I've often taken the test in the "wrong" time zone because based on when I often get home from work, 8:30 pm or whatever it is (for the Central test) is a more convenient time for me than an hour earlier (for the Eastern test). Sometimes I've gotten auditions out of these tests.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

From a tactical standpoint, I recommend taking the test on either the first or second day, if possible and practical, and preferably the second. Leaving it for Day 3 subjects you to any number of things that could happen on that day that could prevent you either from taking it at all or being at your best... and then you're out of luck until the following year.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I work nights a lot. While I am in the pool and can't take it this time, I do wish they would schedule a test during daytime hours for those who work odd hours.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I am registered now for the 2016 test but the test is not administered the way I was expecting it to be. For a test with so much at stake, it is only offered once a day for a three-day stretch. Is that the way it has been administered in past years? I was expecting something like just being able to take it anytime in a three day window.

Can their servers handle all of the traffic? I guess so! But what happens if a test taker gets the blue screen of death on their laptop or there's an internet outage while they are taking the test? Are they just out of luck at that point and forced to wait until 2017?

The cities listed for potential audition sites include Charleston. I hope it's Charleston, SC; that's only three hours from me. Charleston, WV is a much longer drive, and if it's the WV city, then I'd prefer going to Raleigh/Durham for a potential audition; I love Raleigh and have fond memories of my college days at NCState.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Yes, they have always had the on line tests this way. They don't give it whenever you want to take it because one person could get the questions and then share them with others. They give a different test each night.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

I'm pretty sure I took the Central test (I live in Eastern) in 2014 when I got the audition and then Call.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

I always take the test in a different time zone because I want to do it after the family has gone to bed. I've received an invitation to an audition.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

What are the audition city choices this year?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rafferty Barnes wrote:What are the audition city choices this year?
Still unknown.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Post by patkav »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote: Can anyone report getting an audition (or even reaching the show) from a wrong time zone test?
Yep.
Stanislaus Jacob

Post by Stanislaus Jacob »

My fear was that an East Coast city might have all its people drawn from the first day of testing and someone who took the test on the second day might get a slot only in the unlikely event that there was some room left over. Thanks to all who assured me that there is no evidence for this and everyone apparently goes into one big pot before any drawings are made.
econgator wrote:
Still unknown.
Actually there was a very lengthy list when I registered a few days ago.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Stanislaus Jacob wrote:My fear was that an East Coast city might have all its people drawn from the first day of testing and someone who took the test on the second day might get a slot only in the unlikely event that there was some room left over. Thanks to all who assured me that there is no evidence for this and everyone apparently goes into one big pot before any drawings are made.
econgator wrote:
Still unknown.
Actually there was a very lengthy list when I registered a few days ago.
Interesting. Have yet to see an email to that effect from them.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

And here they are:

Washington, D.C.
New York
Raleigh/ Durham
Los Angeles
Detroit
Charleston
Oklahoma City
Minneapolis
Las Vegas
San Diego

Nothing close, so I'll take a pass this year.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

econgator wrote:And here they are:

Washington, D.C.
New York
Raleigh/ Durham
Los Angeles
Detroit
Charleston
Oklahoma City
Minneapolis
Las Vegas
San Diego

Nothing close, so I'll take a pass this year.
NOW they have Minneapolis! :roll:

And econ, I would seriously suggest you rethink your plan. If I can drive 10 hours to the audition (not counting the 90 minute drive the day before to my sister's (the 10 hours is from her place) or the 90 minutes we stopped in Sioux Falls for lunch and groceries) I'm sure you can, and I'm sure there's something a lot closer to you than 10 hours! (Plus, Robert seemed to like my story that I drove so long to get there - he admired the dedication to getting on; having a story the CCs like is required.) I'd love to see you on econgator, go for whatever's closest!

EDIT: Actually I seem to recall telling Robert 14 hours since I still distinctly remember leaving her place at 8am (an hour later than I wanted to) and arriving in KC at 10pm (3 hours later than I wanted to), which would include Sioux Falls but not the 90 minutes the day before to my sister's. You see why I was disappointed Minneapolis (8 hours from my house and by far the closest they ever will or have offered) came up now that I'm in the pool?
Last edited by dhkendall on Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Revised length of journey
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012