Adult online tests coming in Jan 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Adult online tests coming in Jan 2016

Post by OrangeSAM »

...if you can believe the Jeopardy! website.

Here's a new twist:
You must first be signed in to your MyJeopardy! profile to register for the test.
Discuss.
OCSam
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Re: Adult online tests coming in Jan 2016

Post by dhkendall »

OrangeSAM wrote:...if you can believe the Jeopardy! website.

Here's a new twist:
You must first be signed in to your MyJeopardy! profile to register for the test.
Discuss.
Well, for the first time in forever (shut up! No singing!), taking the test doesn't apply to me this year, but my thoughts are "no big deal", you had to fill out registration info before. Hell, it was easy for me as a Canadian to get a MyJeopardy account, I can't say that for every test year.

Really I don't see a big deal but I look forward to seeing others' responses, I may be missing something obvious, I tend to do that.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
zakharov
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by zakharov »

Just in time for my third swim in the pool to expire, yay/boo.

Damn me for being a white dude in my late 20s from New York :(
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

What the hell is a MyJeopardy! profile, and how would it benefit me (other than the obvious "I can't take the test without one")?

If they do not allow one to simply register for the test and take the test, I guess my days of trying to get on Jeopardy! are over.

I find this, if it is true, to be the same as all these contests you can enter by logging into your spacebook or Iamatwit account, but absent one of those accounts, you cannot enter.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

bpmod wrote:What the hell is a MyJeopardy! profile, and how would it benefit me (other than the obvious "I can't take the test without one")?

If they do not allow one to simply register for the test and take the test, I guess my days of trying to get on Jeopardy! are over.

I find this, if it is true, to be the same as all these contests you can enter by logging into your spacebook or Iamatwit account, but absent one of those accounts, you cannot enter.

Brian
It's just making an account on their site. It lets you play their games and stuff. I don't believe you have to link it to Facebook or anything.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

zakharov wrote:
bpmod wrote:What the hell is a MyJeopardy! profile, and how would it benefit me (other than the obvious "I can't take the test without one")?
It's just making an account on their site. It lets you play their games and stuff. I don't believe you have to link it to Facebook or anything.
In other words, the only benefit is that, without one, I cannot apply to take the Jeopardy! online test.

I'll pass.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

zakharov wrote:

Brian
This. How is it different from registering for the test? While I occasionally (very occasionally, lately) like to play J!6, that's about all I do on the site with my MyJeopardy! account, and my life was no different from when I didn't have one.

You are one person id love to see on the show, Brian, so I personally hope you do take that step.

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Because of this change, the system didn't recognize me as having been to the site before. When this happened, I was so tempted to take the Houston test, but didn't.

At least this year it should work without error.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

Brian
I'm not really sure I understand the reluctance to create a personal profile in this case when if you got on, you'd be giving them your Social Security Number and a compendium of embarrassing childhood memories.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Is anyone interested in creating practice tests and/or current events info that's likely to come up on the 2016 online test? I'm more than willing to contribute.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

Brian
I'm not really sure I understand the reluctance to create a personal profile in this case when if you got on, you'd be giving them your Social Security Number and a compendium of embarrassing childhood memories.
As a child, I did not do too much to embarrass myself. Those anecdotes are mostly going to come from much more recent experiences. And I won't be giving my SSN to anybody, as that would be impossible in light of the fact I do not have one.

I just don't see a reason for a public "profile", when they have all of my private information.

Brian

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

bpmod wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

Brian
As a child, I did not do too much to embarrass myself. Those anecdotes are mostly going to come from much more recent experiences. And I won't be giving my SSN to anybody, as that would be impossible in light of the fact I do not have one.

I just don't see a reason for a public "profile", when they have all of my private information.

Brian
Obviously it's up to you but I don't think my profile has any info other than my contact info, which I'd be giving them anyway. You don't have to ever use it again after the test if you don't want to.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

Brian

Brian
Not sure where you're getting the "public" part.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:I just don't see a reason for a public "profile", when they have all of my private information.

Brian
In previous years, they had us select a username and password. We logged in using that (in various forms from year to year).

This year, we need to create a MyJeopardy! profile. The difference is in how this profile is being used.

I can come to JBoard and read all of the posts without creating a profile. But, if I want to be involved, I have to create a profile and log in. That profile is public. When I go to my bank's website, I still need to log in, but I don't create a "profile". Nothing about the latter experience is public. My feeling is that taking the online test should be more like online banking and less like participating in JBoard (or facebook, or twitter).

Maybe I am just too hung up on the (perceived) definition of 'profile'.

Brian

TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

bpmod wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:

Brian

Brian
Right, sorry, mind was set to American bias. ;) My main gist was that I'm not quite sure how it's different from what it was before, other than the cutesy "MyJeopardy!" name.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're not using the site for any of the games, it's impossible to look up another member by profile, correct?

Update: Just checked. You don't have to give any personal details other than e-mail, zip code and birth date (month/year). And those details aren't available to anyone else publicly.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

bpmod wrote:
jeff6286 wrote:
bpmod wrote:I just don't see a reason for a public "profile", when they have all of my private information.

Brian
In previous years, they had us select a username and password. We logged in using that (in various forms from year to year).

This year, we need to create a MyJeopardy! profile. The difference is in how this profile is being used.

I can come to JBoard and read all of the posts without creating a profile. But, if I want to be involved, I have to create a profile and log in. That profile is public. When I go to my bank's website, I still need to log in, but I don't create a "profile". Nothing about the latter experience s public. My feeling is that taking the online test should be more like online banking and less like participating in JBoard (or facebook, or twitter).

Maybe I am just too hung up on the (perceived) definition of 'profile'.

Brian
Well, that profile does keep track of your J!6 history...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): WIthnail & I (7), An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Also, the "I'm just taking the test for fun" option has returned.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

But why make us go through an extra step?

We used to be able to go to the website and register for the test. Then we'd use the login credentials we created (or were created for us, or some combination) to log in for the test on test night.

Now, we must create a profile, then log in using that profile just to register for the test. I will bet a dollar against a dog biscuit that that second step is more than simply clicking an "I want to take the test" button. So, in effect we need to go through two registration processes instead of one, when one has sufficed all these years.

Oh, and I bet you'll say, "but that other one needs to be done only once, and next year you can log in with the same profile credentials". But I guarantee you, using that profile only twice per year (once to register for the test and once to take the test), I will need to go through another process to retrieve / reset my password next year.

Brian

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:But why make us go through an extra step?

We used to be able to go to the website and register for the test. Then we'd use the login credentials we created (or were created for us, or some combination) to log in for the test on test night.

Now, we must create a profile, then log in using that profile just to register for the test. I will bet a dollar against a dog biscuit that that second step is more than simply clicking an "I want to take the test" button. So, in effect we need to go through two registration processes instead of one, when one has sufficed all these years.

Oh, and I bet you'll say, "but that other one needs to be done only once, and next year you can log in with the same profile credentials". But I guarantee you, using that profile only twice per year (once to register for the test and once to take the test), I will need to go through another process to retrieve / reset my password next year.

Brian
Well if you don't agree with their rules to go on their show you don't have to, but I hope you reconsider though, I really want to see you on the show.

Maybe see what happens from others' experiences on test day 1 and decide if you want to sign up for test days 2 & 3

jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

bpmod wrote:But why make us go through an extra step?

Brian
They want people to create a profile to play their new game. Having this profile system already set up means they apparently didn't see the need to require people to make a separate login just for the test. I'm baffled as to why is this so baffling and/or bothersome to you.