Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

A note from your friendly neighbourhood mod

Post by dhkendall »

Just a reminder to people about the goal of this place, to be a friendly place to discuss the world's greatest game show, and a safe place, too. Let's keep in mind that the contestant coordinators do an excellent job to not only pick the people that they think will do good on the show, not just in terms of knowledge but also personality as well. And since pretty much all of them have never been on television before, they no doubt do a fabulous job reassuring the contestants and helping them overcome any nervousness about appearing on with any personality deviations from the "standard" - whether it be an accent, crossed eyes, or other personality characteristics that make them unique - that the coordinators are no doubt aware of. Even if you happen to be a Sage, you aren't smarter than the contestant coordinators who saw these faults and gave them The Call anyways.

So please let's make this a friendly place. We can discuss personality quirks, that's ok, but denigrating posts will not be tolerated, I already took the liberty of removing one. I for one love it when contestants, especially ones that have appeared on the show in question being discussed, come here - and I'm sure I'm not alone. It's up to all of us though to keep this a friendly place, if you see a post you think that may have crossed the line, flag down your friendly neighbourhood mod or admin, or "report" the post, and we will decide. Let's keep this a place people will want to come to free of fear from denigration. Thank you.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, November 24, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

Has there ever been a two day champ that won with the exact same total both nights before [Laura]?
Last edited by dhkendall on Wed Nov 25, 2015 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: mod edit
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

econgator wrote:
grindcore wrote:I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.
Nor could I. Just WAGged Eastwood.
Same here. Not one of my stronger categories.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

John Boy wrote:
econgator wrote:
grindcore wrote:I couldn't think of anything solid for FJ, but I knew Woody Allen or Ben Affleck didn't seem right.
Nor could I. Just WAGged Eastwood.
Same here. Not one of my stronger categories.
I believe we have one or two of our poll questions this week. (Eastwood and/or Affleck)
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

BobF wrote:Has there ever been a two day champ that won with the exact same total both nights before Lauraaaaaaa?
I have a vague memory of S1 Paul Croshier winning $10,000 in both game 1 & game 2 although I'm not certain about the days.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MarkBarrett wrote:
BobF wrote:Has there ever been a two day champ that won with the exact same total both nights before Lauraaaaaaa?
I have a vague memory of S1 Paul Croshier winning $10,000 in both game 1 & game 2 although I'm not certain about the days.
According to the archive, he was a 5 time champ, but his non-TOC games are not archived.
http://www.j-archive.com/showplayer.php?player_id=6158
brick

Post by brick »

BobF, that is what you think is appropriate to post directly below dhkendall's plea for civility?
molly427
Valued Contributor

Post by molly427 »

brick wrote:BobF, that is what you think is appropriate to post directly below dhkendall's plea for civility?
I saw the post that dhkendall had to remove and it was on a much MUCH different level than that comment, though. I do also think "yes, her voice, we get it," when reading a lot of comments but the plea for civility came only after something much ruder and entirely unrelated to the actual game itself.
Be that as it may, Alex, those people have never been in my kitchen.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

molly427 wrote:
brick wrote:BobF, that is what you think is appropriate to post directly below dhkendall's plea for civility?
I saw the post that dhkendall had to remove and it was on a much MUCH different level than that comment, though. I do also think "yes, her voice, we get it," when reading a lot of comments but the plea for civility came only after something much ruder and entirely unrelated to the actual game itself.
Be that as it may, Molly, I think each of us would be better erring on the side of being too kind, rather than not kind enough.

If Laura were to come to JBoard and sign her posts 'Lauraaaaaaa', then it might be acceptable for somebody else to refer to her that way. Barring that, it is unacceptable. Saying it is less offensive than something else doesn't make it right.
BobF wrote:Has there ever been a two day champ that won with the exact same total both nights before [Laura]?
Not only that, but that question had already been asked and answered. (OK. Maybe not asked exactly that way.)

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bpmod wrote:
molly427 wrote:
Be that as it may, Molly, I think each of us would be better erring on the side of being too kind, rather than not kind enough.

If Laura were to come to JBoard and sign her posts 'Lauraaaaaaa', then it might be acceptable for somebody else to refer to her that way. Barring that, it is unacceptable. Saying it is less offensive than something else doesn't make it right.
BobF wrote:Has there ever been a two day champ that won with the exact same total both nights before [Laura]?
Not only that, but that question had already been asked and answered. (OK. Maybe not asked exactly that way.)

Brian
Good points all and I agree with every word. Bob's post has been edited to match your quote
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BobF

Post by BobF »

I made no negative comments about the way she spoke. But I'm okay with Dave editing it.

For the record, in college, we used to call one of my good friends Iraaaaa, but I'm not sure the origin of it. I think it came from the way his girlfriend (now wife, ironically named Laura) used to say his name when she was mad at him.
brick

Post by brick »

BobF wrote:
I made no negative comments about the way she spoke. But I'm okay with Dave editing it.

For the record, in college, we used to call one of my good friends Iraaaaa, but I'm not sure the origin of it. I think it came from the way his girlfriend (now wife, ironically named Laura) used to say his name when she was mad at him.
I'm glad you cleared that up for the record.

You didn't make a negative comment. You mocked her. It's rude and it's immature and you seem to think that because a close friend of yours in college was ok with something similar it's ok? Word to the wise: Tossing behaviors at total strangers online based on the fact that your college bestie was cool with it isn't a good game plan.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

brick wrote:...you seem to think that because a close friend of yours in college was ok with something similar it's ok? Word to the wise: Tossing behaviors at total strangers online based on the fact that your college bestie was cool with it isn't a good game plan.
I was about to say this, but I guess now I don't need to.
bpmod wrote:I think each of us would be better erring on the side of being too kind, rather than not kind enough.

If Laura were to come to JBoard and sign her posts 'Lauraaaaaaa', then it might be acceptable for somebody else to refer to her that way. Barring that, it is unacceptable.
Seconded.
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

Category 13 wrote:
ElendilPickle wrote:
Category 13 wrote:Three female contestants and we get a Green Bay Packers category. Of all the luck.
I just knew we would never see all five clues as soon as I discovered what 'Leader of the Pack' refered to. At least Molly returned to it after one of the cooking clues but another TS meant see ya!
I bet I'm not the only woman here who knew the answer to all three of the clues that were revealed in that category.
So what I should have said was: "I knew we would never see all the Packer clues as soon as Laura bailed out of the category on a $400 level triple stumper."
That's a bit better, but a simple "It's too bad they didn't finish the Packers category" would have been best, IMO. :)
BobF

Post by BobF »

brick wrote: You didn't make a negative comment. You mocked her. It's rude and it's immature and you seem to think that because a close friend of yours in college was ok with something similar it's ok? Word to the wise: Tossing behaviors at total strangers online based on the fact that your college bestie was cool with it isn't a good game plan.
Perfect timing! I was just thinking this morning that the internet was so devoid of people who can take a complete strangers written words and then tell the writer exactly what they meant by those words. Welcome to JBoard, brick!

My biggest error here was posting in a style that I would normally use for my Facebook posts where the people who know me know that I'm a very positive person with a goofball streak in me. If Laura ever happens to read the post in question, I apologize, I meant no offense.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

ElendilPickle wrote: That's a bit better, but a simple "It's too bad they didn't finish the Packers category" would have been best, IMO. :)
Packers? Packers. Packers?! PACKERS!!

(Segue? What segue...)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Bamaman wrote:
seaborgium wrote:Second day in a row I consider the correct FJ response but go elsewhere. Affleck today with Clooney crossing my mind, but I thought the one he directed was longer ago than 2005.

For the blackjack DD, I was desperately trying to recall the Rain Man dialogue about counting cards in a six-deck ____. I simultaneously guessed sleeve and pocket for lack of anything else (and decisiveness on that front), and when the correct response was revealed, I realized I had always heard the phrase as "six-deck shoot" rather than "shoe." I don't think I've heard it anywhere besides that movie. (But if I did, I probably heard "shoot" then, too. Shoot.)
Did you get Qantas in LL the other day?
Definitely.
Asked and answered to some degree, but I was in the studio for Darryl Tahirali's first two victories, in which he scored exactly $10,000 more than Laura both times (which really means that he simply had the lead over opponents--one of whom was my dad--with exactly $5,000 more than Laura's opponents in each game). I think Alex said, "You're in a rut!" to him.
RichmondJ
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by RichmondJ »

Bamaman wrote:Did you get Qantas in LL the other day?
seaborgium wrote:Definitely.
We see what you did there.
brick

Post by brick »

BobF wrote:
brick wrote: You didn't make a negative comment. You mocked her. It's rude and it's immature and you seem to think that because a close friend of yours in college was ok with something similar it's ok? Word to the wise: Tossing behaviors at total strangers online based on the fact that your college bestie was cool with it isn't a good game plan.
Perfect timing! I was just thinking this morning that the internet was so devoid of people who can take a complete strangers written words and then tell the writer exactly what they meant by those words. Welcome to JBoard, brick!

My biggest error here was posting in a style that I would normally use for my Facebook posts where the people who know me know that I'm a very positive person with a goofball streak in me. If Laura ever happens to read the post in question, I apologize, I meant no offense.
Thank you ever so much for your very warm welcome.
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Winchell Factor »

BobF wrote:

Without wanting to pick a fight--and, honestly, I don't want to--I think the burden really goes the other way. I think the obligation of the reader to understand the psyche and intention of an unknown author is far less than the obligation of an author to consider how his or her words might sound to readers who don't know the writer's personality or intentions.

I admit, I fail at this far too often, but I think that by far the greater burden belongs on the writer.