Friday, November 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, November 27, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MarkBarrett »

While the BlackBerry may have been easy for some of you, my reaction was gratefulness it was not a clue in the FJ! round. Even 20 more seconds would not have helped figure that one in time.

60' 6" - That's when I am fine with getting beat on the buzzer if the first guy is going to say 90' and double the clue's value for me.

Modern day Mississippi author = John Grisham - It's 2015 and I've come across that more than enough times to not need the think music to be done.

This game had a category of MISSISSIPPI WRITERS: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2007

Too bad the last clue did not play as I would love to know the 5th one the writers decided was bottom box worthy.

Tonight's clue was easy for Alex and Rob while Darin & Bianca could not make the connection. Rob has had one good game and one not as good game. Monday will tell the tale what kind of champ he is with rest and 2 games worth of experience.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Fascinated by the "ogee" clue - that's one I've never heard before. Trying to hammer it into my brain but it isn't sticking - bit of a long shot, but anybody have any memorable ogee facts to pass on?
Some slightly famous thing called the New York Times crossword puzzle? Can the posters good at J! Archive searching switch their skills to the NYT puzzle and check how often OGEE appears?
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote: Fascinated by the "ogee" clue - that's one I've never heard before. Trying to hammer it into my brain but it isn't sticking - bit of a long shot, but anybody have any memorable ogee facts to pass on?
Some slightly famous thing called the New York Times crossword puzzle? Can the posters good at J! Archive searching switch their skills to the NYT puzzle and check how often OGEE appears?
Oh, well, that. Always been more of an Acrostics girl. Interestingly, though, I don't remember it too often from my crossword days, which is a surprise, since I picked up ABET and ETUI and all the rest. That's why I'm asking - not because I can't do my own Googling, but because I have a weird sense that this is one of those pesky situations where your brain just doesn't want to learn something, and so I'm looking for a reason to permanently affix it there.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
Oh, well, that. Always been more of an Acrostics girl. Interestingly, though, I don't remember it too often from my crossword days, which is a surprise, since I picked up ABET and ETUI and all the rest. That's why I'm asking - not because I can't do my own Googling, but because I have a weird sense that this is one of those pesky situations where your brain just doesn't want to learn something, and so I'm looking for a reason to permanently affix it there.
In the J! Archive before tonight's clue I'm only finding OGEE as part of a clue about arches. So for triggers there seems to be double curve, double ess, and arches. Arch & ogee both have four letters. For a memory trick you have to pick an OG like Ice-T and imagining him bigger than life busting up an ogee arch.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

MarkBarrett wrote:
438 times in the NY Times Crossword Puzzle, but only 85 times since Will Shortz took over in '93
TheSunWillComeOut
Two-Morrow

Post by TheSunWillComeOut »

MarkBarrett wrote:
TheSunWillComeOut wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:
In the J! Archive before tonight's clue I'm only finding OGEE as part of a clue about arches. So for triggers there seems to be double curve, double ess, and arches. Arch & ogee both have four letters. For a memory trick you have to pick an OG like Ice-T and imagining him bigger than life busting up an ogee arch.
Good tricks, thanks!
OSXpert wrote: 438 times in the NY Times Crossword Puzzle, but only 85 times since Will Shortz took over in '93
Aha, then that's likely why I was blanking on it - the bulk of my crossword experience took place well after '93. Mostly after '03, in fact.
dhall60

Post by dhall60 »

Does anyone have a link to last night's show for those of us in Dallas who lost out to football?
Peachbox
3-time Jeopardy!/Sports Jeopardy! runner-up

Post by Peachbox »

floridagator wrote:That woman should have been negged for "the arch." She should at least have been BMSed to produce Gateway Arch. Me, if I'd been there, it would have been tempting to give the correct name of the arch. Who knows what that is?
I was thinking the Jefferson National Expansion Memorial, but I wonder if that would have been negged for being too general since the park of the same name also includes the Old Courthouse where the Dred Scott case was initially heard. NPS has Gateway Arch as the official name.
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

floridagator wrote:That woman should have been negged for "the arch." She should at least have been BMSed to produce Gateway Arch. Me, if I'd been there, it would have been tempting to give the correct name of the arch. Who knows what that is?
The clue said St. Louis, there's really only one noteworthy arch in St. Louis, and I'm pretty sure "St. Louis Arch" is an acceptable name for it.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

My local station aired this in the middle of the night and my DVR didn't pick up until the start of the interviews. Thanks to the archivist who got it in quickly so I could play the rest of the game.

I think I would have gone for the kill on that last DD. It had been a fairly easy category (if you are a baseball fan) and you could bet enough to get the lock without eliminating yourself completely, assuming the last clue isn't played.

FJ was an instaget for me. I like Grisham, although a lot of his books are rather formulistic. Glad to get it as it was my first FJ get since the fourth QF game of the TOC.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Often enough to make this an ultra-Instaget for this J! fan/cruciverbalist.
davey

Post by davey »

dinghammer wrote:Instaguess FJ, aided by my ignorance of male Southern writers. I could only think of one other, and I didn't think they'd ever ask about Robert McCammon (and he's from Alabama anyway).

I missed the first 6 or so clues -- it started already in progress (after some sort of football thing) for what I believe was only the second time since I started recording it on WTNH instead of WABC, which preempts Jeopardy! whenever anything resembling weather happens.

Having missed the intros, I was all, "Wait, Derren Brown?" when Alex said Darin's name in the interview.
WABC started the show about 3 minutes late, but still managed to get it all in.
I can't remember the last time WABC preempted the show because of weather. Probably Hurricane Sandy. I don't remember it being preempted this season for anything but the Pope.
davey

Post by davey »

OSXpert wrote:Had the sex of the author not been specified, I would have also been tempted by Anne Rice.
She's never been associated with Mississippi. Many of her books are set in New Orleans, where she spent her early years.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote:This game had a category of MISSISSIPPI WRITERS: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2007

Too bad the last clue did not play as I would love to know the 5th one the writers decided was bottom box worthy.
My money's on Eudora Welty.

I see a $1000 clue about her turned up a few months later (in the ToC, no less). With no way to prove it, I betcha it was this unused clue, recycled.
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote:Walker Percy was my guess. John Grisham would've been my second, but only because I forgot about Horton Foote. Foote and Percy traveled together to visit Faulkner as young men. Foote did the actual visiting while Percy stayed in the car, too much in awe to approach. Those seem like the kind of guys that would express such a sentiment, not some hack like Grisham.

I admit I was troubled by the tense. In 1990, the year of his death, Walker Percy would not have said that he "would like to" carve out a little piece of Mississippi as his own. He would have said that he hoped he had done so. But I rationalized that the quote might be misleading, excerpted from something like "When I was young I decided I would like to do what Faulkner did, carve out a little piece of Mississippi territory and claim it for my own."
That story is about Percy and Shelby Foote, the historian. Horton Foote was from Texas.
davey

Post by davey »

MarkBarrett wrote:
Probably Eudora Welty.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote:This game had a category of MISSISSIPPI WRITERS: http://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=2007

My money's on Eudora Welty.

I see a $1000 clue about her turned up a few months later (in the ToC, no less). With no way to prove it, I betcha it was this unused clue, recycled.
davey wrote: Probably Eudora Welty.
Yes, of course, Eudora Welty had to be the last one. Somehow when I was looking over the Archive for Mississippi writers I ended up mistakenly thinking that she was one of the four in the MISSISSIPPI WRITERS category when the various hits were everywhere but that one.

Thanks, guys.
dinghammer
No Relation

Post by dinghammer »

davey wrote:I can't remember the last time WABC preempted the show because of weather. Probably Hurricane Sandy. I don't remember it being preempted this season for anything but the Pope.
I guess I've been recording it on WTNH longer than I thought, then. I'm glad whoever's in charge of that sort of thing at WABC finally realized that nobody needs to miss Jeopardy! (or parts of it) because it's raining or snowing in NYC. I think it happened at least 5 times for weather events that definitely weren't hurricanes or blizzards before I made the switch permanent.

Thanks to the archivists for getting this game entered quickly -- turns out I had missed exactly 6 clues, as I guessed. I know it would have been easy to count them when I watched, but I was trying to read the category names instead.

Also, for the $600 RICK ROLLED clue, for some reason, I thought they were still in TYPES OF COMEDY, so I was trying to think of someone from the Blue Collar Comedy Tour who's running for president. :roll:
Budphrey
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Budphrey »

TheSunWillComeOut wrote:... anybody have any memorable ogee facts to pass on?
I'd imagine Steve Bahnaman has some interesting Ogi facts.

@Peachbox: I am pretty confident that some hybrid response like "What is the Jefferson Memorial Arch?" would be accepted, as long as the word "arch" was in there — it's the only object of the specified height on the grounds of the JNEM anyway.
Poo-tee-weet? So it goes.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

caknuck wrote:Jeopardy! was preempted by high school football in the Dallas market. :|
Excusable, as there really is nothing more important to Texans.

"We now interrupt the coverage of Kennedy's assassination to bring you high school football!"

Judges: TYPES OF COMEDY $200: While I agree "improv" is the best answer, would "impromptu" fit?
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012