TD 272 - Tom Enchanted Evening **FINAL STANDINGS**

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Armandillo
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

TD 272 - Tom Enchanted Evening **FINAL STANDINGS**

Post by Armandillo »

Greetings!

Since I punished you last time with creepy crawlies, I’m going to take it easy on you with a quiz about famous people named Tom! All clues and/or answers will involve someone/something named Tom, Thomas or a variation thereof! Since most answers share a similar first name, last name only is acceptable, unless noted otherwise!

*OPEN TO EVERYONE, EVEN NON-BOARDIES (If you want to submit a friend or family member's responses by e-mail, inbox me)*

Usual rules apply:
1) Try to guess the least used answer.
2) You can CUT one question
3) You can Tom the TURKEY one question (aka SHEEP)
4) NO CHEATING! :D

In-box me your answers. Remember: For multi-letter questions, only answer ONE part. Please notate which part you chose to answer.

Enjoy!

ENTRIES ARE DUE BY 11:59 P.M. ON SUNDAY, 12/6/15

PARTICIPANTS:35
Spoiler
gamawire
Peggles
MarkBarrett
Vermonter
canknuck

ElendilPickle
patkav
mennoknight
immaf
Ryno

Blue Lion
groovitude
MitchO
Rusty's in the club
9021amyers

quarterrican
Peachbox
dnbguy
dott888
Magna

mrexley
ouachiouat
MollyQMurphy
Category 13
SBurrus

clprez
dinghammer
kettledrum
BigDaddyMatty
deano

sillymonkey
cbec
RackMe32
coachP
econgator
Last edited by Armandillo on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 24 times in total.
Armandillo

Re: TD 272 - Tom Enchanted Evening (General Knowledge) *NOW OPEN*

Post by Armandillo »

SUBMIT YOUR ANSWER HERE:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1itYWvW ... sp=sharing

QUESTIONS:

1. MUSIC:
a. Atoms for Peace is a supergroup, containing Flea from the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Radiohead producer Nigel Godrich, Beck’s Joey Waronker, and Mauro Rofosco. The remaining person is also their lead singer. Name him.
b. Which non-physicist sang the lines “It’s poetry in motion. And when she turned her eyes to me. As deep as any ocean. As sweet as any harmony”.
c. Tommy Tutone is mostly remembered for giving out Jenny’s phone number. What is it?
d. The death of Howie Epstein, prompted the return of one of the original members of which Gainseville, Florida band?
e. A 2011 inductee into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame, this prolific and multi-genre artist took his turn at composing movie music for the 1982 Francis Ford Coppola film One From The Heart?
f. Originally left off an album, Poor Tom appeared on this British powerhouse’s “Coda”?
g. In 1983, Peter Schilling revisited which fictional astronaut?
h. This Bay Area folk group had their first hit in 1958 with “Tom Dooley”.
i. Geddy Lee’s song about this Mark Twain character is likely his band’s most famous song.
j. Tommy Gun is a 1978 song about terrorists by this legendary British punk rock group.

2. The man is a self-described Sex Bomb. That’s right, the one and only Tom Jones. Name one of his pre-1980 single s that reached the Top 15 of the charts in the United States. (11 possible answers)

3. Perhaps one of the most famous Thomases was a disciple of Jesus Christ. Name another disciple (that was present at The Last Supper; thanks Vermonter & bpmod!) (11 possible answers)

4. Below are various quotes from films starring, you guessed it, Tom Cruise. Identify the film. In each case, Cruise’s character is speaking. The year of release is given in parentheses to help (hopefully).
a. “Get with it. Millions of galaxies of hundreds of millions of stars, in a speck on one in a blink. That’s us, lost in space. The cop, you, me . . . Who notices?” (2004)
b. “Even in my dreams, I’m an idiot who knows he’s about to wake up to reality.” (2001)
c. “I feel the need – the need for speed.” (1986)
d. “I got a trig midterm tomorrow and I’m being chased by Guido the Killer Pimp” (1983)
e. “Show me the money!” (1996)
f. “That man right there is my brother and if he doesn’t get to watch People’s Court in about 30 seconds, he’s gonna throw a fit right here on your porch. Now you can help me or you can stand there and watch it happen” (1988)
g. “Evildoers are easier, and they taste better.” (1994)
h. “Ain’t nobody gonna call the fuzz in this neighborhood ‘cause they know better” (1983)
i. “In this life, it’s not what you hope for, it’s not what you deserve – it’s what you take!” (1999)

5. Another well-known Tom is the best-selling writer Tom Clancy. His most famous character is CIA-man and future president Jack Ryan. Name one of the titles in that series (HINT: Two were turned into films starring Harrison Ford; this list doesn’t include the Jack Ryan, Jr. series)(10 possible answers)

6. I will provide the title of a famous literary work (not all are novels) you will provide the author:
a. Jude The Obscure
b. The Electric Kool-Aid Acid Test
c. Even Cowgirls Get the Blues
d. Inherent Vice
e. No Man is an Island
f. Election
g. Red Dragon
h. The World is Flat
i. Le Morte d’Arthur
j. Doctor Faustus
i. Strega Nona

7. On the smaller screen, Tom Bosley visited America’s living rooms as the character Howard Cunningham on the show Happy Days. Name one of the other main/recurring characters, fist name only needed, nicknames are fine (must have been in at least 60 episodes) (10 possible answers)

8. POLITICS
a. When he became mayor of Los Angeles, this man became the second African-American mayor of a major American city. He went on to serve for twenty years, marking the longest-serving mayor of Los Angeles.
b. This Texan Congressman became House Majority Leader, later resigned amid allegations of violating election law (he was later acquitted), and was a contestant on Season 9 of Dancing With the Stars.
c. This man married Martha Wayles Skelton, served as United States Minister to France and later became the country’s first Secretary of State under President George Washington.
d.This fellow started off as Assistant Attorney General for the State of Missouri, was appointed Assistant Secretary for Civil Rights in the U.S. Education Department, and President Reagan made him Chairman of the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission.
e. This activist has been described as “a corsetmaker by trade, a journalist by profession, and a propagandist by inclination”. He wrote “Agrarian Justice” and introduced the concept of guaranteed minimum income.
f. This Hoosier survived an assassination attempt by anarchist Eric Muenter and served as vice-president under Woodrow Wilson.
g. This Viennese politician served twelve years as President of his native country.
h. This Pennsylvanian became the first Secretary of Homeland Security and was thought to be a strong contender for presidential hopeful John McCain’s running mate in 2008.
i. In 2004, this man became the first Senate party leader to lose a bid for re-election in fifty years, when he lost by 4,508 votes to John Thune.

9. What would a trivia quiz be without a question on Star Trek? Tom Paris served as the Helmsman aboard the U.S.S. Voyager. Name one of the other primary crew members. (I know I’m going to get flack for trying this question, but I’m willing to give it a shot) (9 possible answers)

10. We met Tom Joad in The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck. Do him proud and name another of Steinbeck’s novels (does not include novellas: The Red Pony, Of Mice & Men, The Pearl, Burning Bright) (11 possible answers)

11. has been deleted to avoid confusion.

12. Hodgepdoge
a. This feller started his silent film career with the Selig Polyscope Company in 1909 with “The Cowboy Millionaire”. He later went on to appear in more than 290 films.
b. Tom Servo was a robot on the cult classic series Mystery Science Theater 3000. Joel Hodgson was an astronaut also appearing on the show, but which character later replaced him? (first AND last name, please)
c. “Genius of Love” was a 1981 hit song by this American New Wave band, founded by The Talking Heads’ own Tina Weymouth & Chris Frantz.
d. What’s a quiz without a sports question? Tom Brady has led the New England Patriots to a stunning six Super Bowls, but how many Super Bowl MVP awards did Brady merit?
e. Tom was the cat. Jerry was the mouse. When they met, much hilarity ensued. But who created them?
f. The Reverend William Awdry came up with a popular series of books, out of a desire to entertain his son, starring whom?
g. This Iowa governor was later appointed to a Cabinet position by President Obama.
h. This “lovely” device has gone by such nicknames as “Trench Broom”, “Chicago Piano”, “Chicago Organ Grinder” and “ Trench Sweeper”.
i. This American cartoonist gained fame for his humorous work on the pages of Life magazine , usually depicting animal & ethnic caricatures as well as political cartoons.

Congratulations! You’re done! Good luck and happy quizzing :D
Last edited by Armandillo on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:45 pm, edited 7 times in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Question 4. not having a certain 1992 movie as an option should be grounds for having the punishment from that movie ordered.

Warning: This TD can trigger more than one ear worm.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Armandillo wrote: i. La Morte d’Arthur
Not that it really matters, but ... Le, pas La. :)
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Regarding Q11, does the top-10 company have to be an apparel-only retailer, or does the list include companies whose stores sell a variety of merchandise including apparel?

By the way, "Tom" was a clever TD theme. I like it!
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

BlueLion, thank you!
Spoiler
They all sell some type of clothing or accessories (HINT).
Magna
Hooked on Jeopardy

Post by Magna »

Armandillo wrote:BlueLion, thank you!
Spoiler
I don't understand the explanation. Is the question asking for labels/brands of clothing, clothing/accessory stores, or stores that sell clothing (even if they also sell a lot of other things)? Also, how is "best-selling" defined? By revenue, or something else? (And if the category refers to stores that sell clothing and other things, is it revenue from clothing, or all revenue, or something else?)
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Stores that sell clothing or accessories. For example Prada would qualify, even though it sells handbags, but it's not on the list. It's by revenue. Sorry for the confusion.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

Magna wrote:
Armandillo wrote:BlueLion, thank you!
Spoiler
I don't understand the explanation. Is the question asking for labels/brands of clothing, clothing/accessory stores, or stores that sell clothing (even if they also sell a lot of other things)? Also, how is "best-selling" defined? By revenue, or something else? (And if the category refers to stores that sell clothing and other things, is it revenue from clothing, or all revenue, or something else?)
Armandillo wrote:Stores that sell clothing or accessories. For example Prada would qualify, even though it sells handbags, but it's not on the list. It's by revenue. Sorry for the confusion.
It's still not clear. This is a type of question that has many different flavors, but it always creates a problem on TDs. It's a matter of how you define certain terms, which will vary depending on the source. But even if you provide the source that you're using, that still doesn't help for this quiz.

The question was already posed: does this just include "clothing?" (And then, what is clothing?) Or is it total sales by a retailer that is (generally) considered a clothing retailer. Consider Gucci. Gucci sells clothing, but also a myriad of other items. Also, Gucci is sold in its own retail outlets, but also by plenty of other retailers. Does Gucci count as a retailer, for this question and your source, only in its own stores?

Guide to all.... best to stay away from these types of questions.
Ryno

Post by Ryno »

I second Randy's thoughts on this one. It's tough to discuss this with out getting specific. I already submitted my answers.

I think the crux here is general retailers that sell everything (names which we are all familiar with) vs. those retailers that specialize in clothing only.
One time swimmer in the Jeopardy! pool
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

I apologize for the confusion. I've chosen to delete the question. Even though so far most people have answered it correctly, I admit it's ambiguous. If you've used your cut or turkey on that question, I will private message you with a chance to use it on a different question. Sorry again!
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

Armandillo wrote:I apologize for the confusion. I've chosen to delete the question. Even though so far most people have answered it correctly, I admit it's ambiguous. If you've used your cut or turkey on that question, I will private message you with a chance to use it on a different question. Sorry again!
Poop. That's one of the few where I was confident that I avoided the sheep dip.
@caknuck
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

11 Toms in, with a LOT of Singletons remaining & a lot of chances to make people eat TURKEY!
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Armandillo wrote:I apologize for the confusion. I've chosen to delete the question. Even though so far most people have answered it correctly, I admit it's ambiguous. If you've used your cut or turkey on that question, I will private message you with a chance to use it on a different question. Sorry again!
Don't feel bad. I had to throw a market-cap question overboard on my first TD. The lesson I learned: stay away from questions about the stock market!
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

*OPEN TO EVERYONE, EVEN NON-BOARDIES (If you want to submit a friend or family member's responses by e-mail, inbox me)*
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Up to 20 entries! Many many singletons left and some chances to make giant sheeps!
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Now at 25! A ton of chances for SINGLETONS left! Even if you think you can't win, it's fun to sabotage the leaders. One answer can completely wreck someone else's score :D
Armandillo

Post by Armandillo »

Almost at 30, come join in the only TD game that's open! lol
Armandillo

Re: TD 272 - Tom Enchanted Evening (General Knowledge)**CLOSING SOON**

Post by Armandillo »

One day left to enter! I know there are more of you out there :D
deano
Contributor

Re: TD 272 - Tom Enchanted Evening (General Knowledge)**CLOSING SOON**

Post by deano »

Is CUT different from TURKEY/SHEEP?

Do I pick one to cut, AND one to Turkey?