Monday, November 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

groovitude
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 30, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by groovitude »

JonathanHenke wrote:
groovitude wrote:Two Gentlemen of Verona and The Merry Wives of Windsor are the only two Shakespeare titles that indirectly reference multiple people, and "Valentine" is a traditionally a man's name.
There's also "Two Noble Kinsmen", which is generally attributed to Shakespeare & John Fletcher. But it wasn't in the First Folio and is pretty obscure.

But those are the only ones with the Word "Two" in the title. (Unless you count "Henry IV, Part II" or "Henry VI, Part II". Or "Richard II".)
Right you are! :oops: I'm always embarrassed to whiff on a Shakespeare factoid; it's such a core J! category, but I'm terrible with it.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Notwithstanding my having never come across anyone named Valentine, I thought the clue was only slightly undervalued.
Maybe not personally, but I'm sure you're familiar with St. Valentine.
goatman wrote:LT: lifebuoy SOAP; National Geographic; "Blow Me One Last Kiss"; Rutherford discovered 'empty space' in the atom (and we discovered it between the contestants' ears!); The Two Towers in which Smeagol is tamed; Maid of Honor (J-Lo).
Lifebuoy was picked up on the rebound.
Volante wrote:
groovitude wrote: ▪ I clammed the entire Kidnapping category. I guess the Lindbergh baby was too easy? I thought that was near-impossible, especially compared to, say, Photography, which I nearly ran while knowing next to nothing about photography.
The top row in that one was left covered, which could've very well have been Lindbergh. Him or Frank Sinatra Jr.
Edit: Neither of those were the J!6 spare clue so still a coin flip...
I keep track of my Coryats on an app and then write down the specifics separately. I just wrote "clammed the whole way" and missed $200 staying covered.
MarkBarrett wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Embarrassing neg of the night....For physicist and instrument maker I said Stradivarius.
It was a Daily Double, so say something. Even though I knew the category was PHYSICISTS I also interpreted instruments as musical and guessed Adolphe Sax. At least I got relativity and Planck to score more than I expected in the category.
I whiffed with Pascal. I correctly assumed it was someone famous enough to have a unit of measure named for them, and incorrectly assumed air pressure was the tipoff.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vermonter wrote:Could one argue that 1801 and 1825 are technically acceptable?
seaborgium wrote:I once wrote a pub quiz question asking for the three presidents elected in non-leap years, so this was small potatoes for me.
Yours took me a few seconds. Two of my entries on my current TD are also year-based inauguration trivia, which together constitute one of my favorite questions to ask about U.S. History.

Here's another: after March (36) and January (20), which month has seen the third-most presidential inaugurations, with 4? (And which presidents?)
My guess...
Spoiler
April: Tyler, Johnson, Truman and...Ford?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

groovitude wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:Notwithstanding my having never come across anyone named Valentine, I thought the clue was only slightly undervalued.
Maybe not personally, but I'm sure you're familiar with St. Valentine.
Duh. I knew that like 10 seconds after I hit submit.
Bamaman wrote:TPH...The museum was in Paris because it sounded French and was in the top row.
As I've said before, "sounds like" is IMO way too tenuous a connection for a top box. What sounds French to one person may not to another. And "Dannebrog" still doesn't sound remotely like "Denmark" to me.
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by OSXpert »

TenPoundHammer wrote:As I've said before, "sounds like" is IMO way too tenuous a connection for a top box. What sounds French to one person may not to another. And "Dannebrog" still doesn't sound remotely like "Denmark" to me.
Chances are that anyone who has been to Paris knows the Musee D'Orsay is there. It's right across the river from the Louvre and very large. Had I never visited... It might been been a shot in the dark for me too.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Volante wrote:My guess...
Spoiler
Spoiler
The first three are correct; Nixon resigned on August 9, 1974
Hate bad wagering? Me too. Join me at The Final Wager.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Vermonter wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
It started with an A...ironically, I doubt I would've guessed the 4th. (I looked it up)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): An Autumn Afternoon (7), Europa Europa (7), Tampopo (9), Baby Doll (6)
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

OSXpert wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote:As I've said before, "sounds like" is IMO way too tenuous a connection for a top box. What sounds French to one person may not to another. And "Dannebrog" still doesn't sound remotely like "Denmark" to me.
Chances are that anyone who has been to Paris knows the Musee D'Orsay is there. It's right across the river from the Louvre and very large. Had I never visited... It might been been a shot in the dark for me too.
Some things you should know about the Musee d'Orsay: it is home mainly to impressionist art, and it was converted from a train station (called Gare d'Orsay) when the trains became too long to fit under its roof. If you've seen the movie Hugo, you've seen its gigantic clock.

You should also be familiar with the Pompidou Center, which houses modern art and was designed to look like it had been turned inside-out (the idea of starchitect Renzo Piano, who showed up as a $2000 clue earlier this year). It's named after a French president of the late 1960s/early 1970s.
Vermonter
2003 College Champion

Post by Vermonter »

Volante wrote:
Vermonter wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
It started with an A...ironically, I doubt I would've guessed the 4th. (I looked it up)
Spoiler
There was a reason I brought up that question :)
aeq5006
Valued Contributor

Post by aeq5006 »

I wonder how much of the unused clues was due to Alex. After the triple neg on Etheridge, he spent a rather long time belaboring the fact that the contestants had been close.

Isn't "melk" the standard pronunciation?

I wonder how they handle people with foreign accents or speech impediments.

Doesn't the "should rhyme" category name imply that they don't? Both "solar/scholar" and the example he gave did rhyme.

And did Alex say "lifeboy" rather than "lifebuoy"?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

aeq5006 wrote:I wonder how much of the unused clues was due to Alex. After the triple neg on Etheridge, he spent a rather long time belaboring the fact that the contestants had been close.
No one attempted a response on the Etheridge clue.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

groovitude wrote: ▪ I clammed the entire Kidnapping category. I guess the Lindbergh baby was too easy? I thought that was near-impossible, especially compared to, say, Photography, which I nearly ran while knowing next to nothing about photography.
Another photography run (this time, a total one) which surprised the non-photographer runner here as well. (I don't really care for photography at all, I have a few throwaway cameras which I've barely touched lately, and all my picture taking is on my iPhone. My last big trip (to Kansas City for my audition) I took maybe a dozen pictures (at least ones that I saved) and I was deathly afraid that with that many pictures people would find it boring. Whereas my sister and her husband recently came back from a trip to Germany, England, and Scotland and had well over a hundred pictures that she posted on Facebook, all impeccable, which had me spellbound. (She got all the photography acumen in our generation of the family.)
groovitude wrote:▪ Anyone else neg on Planck with Heisenberg?
Yo.
TenPoundHammer wrote:Now you know how I feel. I've been trying to get on Wheel since Thanksgiving 2009, and I get more than a little peeved when I see an especially derpy contestant or three onstage. Or one whom I know was at an audition that I attended. Or both.
Patience, young paduwan. (You too, young h-bomb paduwan). I am also in the pool and I have the exact same thoughts you guys have, but I also remind myself of some of the great players that auditioned again and again and again before they got their chance to go on (like one of my favourite players, Vijay Balse, which is apparently the archetypal example of this in talks by Maggie from what I hear). While I'd be ecstatic if I got the call this year, I don't get too bent out of shape about every day that passes that I don't get The Call, the Subarus and the buzzsaws got their moment too, and I know that one day it will be me there. I've been trying for Jeopardy! a little longer than you've been trying for Wheel, I can wait. They have my number.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Negging "foilage" was a BS call IMO. That's a dialectal pronunciation along the lines of "nucular", and I really doubt they've ever negged that.
No way Jose. "Nucular" is a special case that has developed a generally (begrudgingly) accepted alternate pronunciation. If you argue for that you're basically saying pronunciation doesn't matter. This ain't Jeoprady.
Argeed.
I didn't know people said 'melk' until maybe 15 years ago. I don't see the charm in people embracing obvious mispronunciations as some 'regional quirk.' If someone has a basic grasp of the language, they know that 'melk' has never been a word. But such perpetuation of the stereotype that 'everybody from x region who pronounces y word wrong on purpose is a rock-brained hayseed' is pervasive.
In short, you can't make a selk purse out of a sow's ear.
Last edited by BJON on Tue Dec 01, 2015 1:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Winchell Factor wrote:I think the judges got this one exactly right.
Yep. Another example would be saying "prespire" rather than "perspire." I hear that one, too, but it's definitely not the correct pronunciation and shouldn't be accepted. And don't get me started on that Brett Favre guy...
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

dhkendall wrote:...(I don't really care for photography at all, I have a few throwaway cameras which I've barely touched lately, and all my picture taking is on my iPhone. My last big trip (to Kansas City for my audition) I took maybe a dozen pictures (at least ones that I saved) and I was deathly afraid that with that many pictures people would find it boring.
So which pro did you hire to take your avatar pic?
OCSam
chmmr
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by chmmr »

To all the melk haters, it's way easier to pronounce. Milk has a weird diphthong. Also, the "Got Milk?" guy has got my back.

I feel like if a ghost 4th contestant got money when someone missed, they would have had a runaway.
BJON
Contributor

Post by BJON »

People who say 'melk' are mentally ell.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $18,400
35 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: Shutterfly (DD), Fahrenheit (DD), The Two Towers, mirage & foliage (DD)

I really should have waited until tomorrow to play this game rather than do it at 3:00 in the morning after a 15-hour workday, but having missed Friday due to football-fueled preemption, I couldn't resist. I definitely would have had FJ! on a full brain. I knew it was Washington's first election, but I couldn't quite fish out the year in 30 seconds.

"Foilage" is just plain wrong. Not that it would have mattered given the outcome of FJ!

Not-so-fun fact: the $10,400 left on the board in this game is the highest aggregate value of unrevealed clues in an episode in all of 2015. February 23 ($10,200) and July 9 ($8,600) are the only other games to leave at least $8,000 on the board.
Sprinkles are for winners.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

This Is Kirk! wrote:And don't get me started on that Brett Favre guy...
But with proper names, it isn't a case of there being one and only one correct pronunciation. Or at least, one can call himself whatever he wants and spell it however he wants. If my name were Rzazewski and I pronounce it 'smith', that's my prerogative.

Which brings me, though, to another peeve. Jeopardy! insists on doing its part to perpetuate the myth that names were changed at Ellis Island. That is simply false, and the writers should do some research instead of blindly repeating a myth as truth.

Google "name change at ellis island" if you want to read any truth on the matter.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

grindcore wrote:
TenPoundHammer wrote: Negging "foilage" was a BS call IMO. That's a dialectal pronunciation along the lines of "nucular", and I really doubt they've ever negged that.
No way Jose. "Nucular" is a special case that has developed a generally (begrudgingly) accepted alternate pronunciation. If you argue for that you're basically saying pronunciation doesn't matter. This ain't Jeoprady.
Who are you, Marge Simpson? http://simpsons.wikia.com/wiki/Burns,_Baby_Burns/Quotes
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

aeq5006 wrote:
Doesn't the "should rhyme" category name imply that they don't? Both "solar/scholar" and the example he gave did rhyme.

And did Alex say "lifeboy" rather than "lifebuoy"?
'Scholar' has a short o, 'solar' a long o. No rhyme.

As for buoy = boy, that's an accepted pronunciation, even in the US: see http://beta.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/buoy, where both are given. The rest of the world pronounces buoy as boy; I never knew there was an alternative until a couple of years ago when I heard a character on a US TV series use that pronunciation in reference to the item.