Tuesday, December 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Re: Tuesday, December 1, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by ElendilPickle »

I haven't seen all of tonight's show, but seeing y'all mention "Crossroads" makes me think of this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRQkC2FDXuw
mrexley
Valued Contributor

Post by mrexley »

davey wrote: FJ took me a few seconds to remember the name of the picture, I knew it was the right time period and Oscar-nominated and about football, but reading the clue as a nonfan it wasn't clear to me how "blind side" is a job...
'Blind side' refers to the portion of the field that the quarterback can't see. Since the majority of QBs are right-handed throwers, when they drop back after the snap, they won't be able to see defenders coming from their left. So the left side tackle is responsible for protecting the QB's blind side.

Here's what happens when the left tackle/guard doesn't do a very good job of protecting the blind side (I chose this clip because it's a good example, and also because I'm a UCLA alumnus who really enjoyed this hit :D )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gv3Q2FAqcdw
Learned League: KimEd
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote:Yes, the poll can have options about having seen the movie.
I read the book. Thought about seeing the movie; but the book was so good, it didn't seem necessary.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mrexley wrote:Here's what happens when the left tackle/guard doesn't do a very good job of protecting the blind side (I chose this clip because it's a good example, and also because I'm a UCLA alumnus who really enjoyed this hit :D )
Spoiler
Also because nobody really needs to see Lawrence Taylor snapping Joe Theismann's tibia and fibula like a breadstick. It's horrific enough to read about.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:That was a ridiculously easy FJ! Even if you don't understand the reference and never saw the trailer featuring the explanation, it's the only recent football movie good enough to be nominated for Best Picture.
And only the third football movie ever to be nominated. Who knows the other two?

Who can name the three nominated sports movies that actually WON Best Picture?

And finally, The Blind Side is based on the book of the same name by financial journalist Michael Lewis. Can you name the other film based on a book by Lewis that has been nominated for Best Picture?
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

opusthepenguin wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:That was a ridiculously easy FJ! Even if you don't understand the reference and never saw the trailer featuring the explanation, it's the only recent football movie good enough to be nominated for Best Picture.
And only the third football movie ever to be nominated. Who knows the other two?

And finally, The Blind Side is based on the book of the same name by financial journalist Michael Lewis. Can you name the other film based on a book by Lewis that has been nominated for Best Picture?
I took my son to a Lego build at the Lego store last night. So, I'm assuming the FJ had something to do with The Blind Side?

The Longest Yard and Brian's Song?

Field of Dreams, The Natural and Slap Shot?
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:I had an embarrassing and costly miss with Hera for Juno. My tired brain processed Zeus instead of Jupiter.
I wonder how the judges would rule on that. Ovid's rebooting a Greek myth about Zeus, Hera, and Callisto. (Callisto is just a transliteration of the Greek name.) The judges usually accept Greek equivalents for Roman mythological figures and vice versa. Does the mention of Ovid trump that policy? Ovid definitely wrote about Juno (or Iuno or IVNO, I suppose). So maybe Hera is wrong for the same reason Poseidon can't substitute for Neptune if the category is GODS "N" GODDESSES.
Last edited by opusthepenguin on Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BobF wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

I took my son to a Lego build at the Lego store last night. So, I'm assuming the FJ had something to do with The Blind Side?
Spoiler
The Longest Yard and Brian's Song?

Field of Dreams, The Natural and Slap Shot?
You're supposed to use spoilers so EVERYBODY can have a shot. That said:
Spoiler
Nope and nope.

Nope, nope and nope.
MitchO
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MitchO »

opusthepenguin wrote: Also because nobody really needs to see Lawrence Taylor snapping Joe Theismann's tibia and fibula like a breadstick. It's horrific enough to read about.

Homer: “Oh, great, you made me miss Joe Theismann!"
groovitude
Valued Contributor

Post by groovitude »

opusthepenguin wrote:Who can name the three nominated sports movies that actually WON Best Picture?
Spoiler
Rocky, Chariots of Fire, and Million Dollar Baby?
BulgarianBeast
Valued Contributor

Post by BulgarianBeast »

Clue: It borders Turkey and Greece
Frankie: What is Syria?

As you can probably tell by my username, I was done with both Shea and Frankie at that point :D Happy to see Joyce perform so well in her second game, I feel like she would be an even better player if she could find a way to stay calm. Of course, that is easier said than done.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

groovitude wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:Who can name the three nominated sports movies that actually WON Best Picture?
Spoiler
Rocky, Chariots of Fire, and Million Dollar Baby?
You got it! You win 1000 quatloos.
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

opusthepenguin wrote: Can you name the other film based on a book by Lewis that has been nominated for Best Picture?
Spoiler
Moneyball

And isn't "The Big Short" coming out this month, too?
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Michael Lewis is married to which former MTV personality?
Sprinkles are for winners.
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Winchell Factor wrote:I thought that was a pretty interesting open tonight: Alex's purported apology. Apparently, he felt he had not thrown Monday's contestants far enough under the bus in Monday's game.

I'll admit, Monday's game was not very well played, but coming back around to dump on them a second time, after they've already signed their papers, been to the green room and packed up all their clothes--that just seemed to me like punching down.
My wife and I totally agree with this statement. She thinks AT is smug!
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
Silverfox
Don't Step on My Tail!

Post by Silverfox »

Crossroads make me think of Cream. And the 1986 movie of the same name. It has great guitar players in it. They are worth seeing the film.
Never heard of the Spears film.
Be alert. Stupid never takes a day off!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

JonathanHenke wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote: Can you name the other film based on a book by Lewis that has been nominated for Best Picture?
Spoiler
Moneyball

And isn't "The Big Short" coming out this month, too?
1000 quatloos for a correct response and another 1000 for information of which I was unaware. It's hard to imagine how "The Big Short" could be turned into a movie, especially with Adam "Anchorman" McKay writing and directing. It's coming out next month actually, unless you're going to AFI Fest.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

opusthepenguin wrote:

My guesses:
Spoiler
Friday Night Lights, Invincible
Wall Street
As for the FJ, I got it just based on the left tackle reference. Never heard of the movie.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Michael Lewis is married to which former MTV personality?
Spoiler
Tabitha Soren
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Category 13 wrote:
opusthepenguin wrote:

My guesses:
Spoiler
Friday Night Lights, Invincible
Wall Street
Nope, nope
Ha ha, sucker! I fooled you! (i.e. nope)