Friday, October 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Re: Friday, October 21, 2011 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILE

Post by hbomb1947 »

TomKBaltimoreBoy wrote:I'm usually not one to critique a player, but Balaji's weak bet on the Daily Double kept him from being in a position where he didn't need a whiff on Pinocchio to win. Given his run after that DD, he would have been in first at the end of DJ! with a confident wager -- and have won even more than his impressive amount.
Agree with this -- and merely wanted to make the necessary observation that he won despite making a poor FJ wager (and it was another case of a player ending up with more money as a result of that suboptimal wager).

As for the FJ itself, it was an instaget -- I just saw "blah blah blah talking cricket blah blah blah" and I was done.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

StevenH wrote:Congrats to Balaji! I played quiz bowl against him when I was in high school. He was a VERY good player, so I am not surprised to see him win on the show. This felt like a good board for someone with a quiz bowl background to have, so I hope that he can keep it up.

I had no clue on FJ and guessed Black Beauty just to have something.
And Balaji is a genuinely good guy. His family is so nice too.

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

opusthepenguin wrote:
Ryan wrote:
jpahk wrote:i wondered about jay's "siesta fiesta"—to me, it looked like he rang in, said "ooh ..." and just before time ran out, said "siesta fiesta", and only after time expired added "what is". alex gave it to him, but if he'd said "siesta fiesta" right away without the right phrasing, wouldn't he have been negged when his time ran out?
If he said "siesta fiesta" right away and didn't correct his phrasing, he would have been negged before time ran out. In this case, Jay corrected his phrasing immediately after answering, so even if Alex wasn't already jumping to accept the answer, I think it would have been acceptable because he started his response in time.
As I recall, Jay said "siesta fiesta" and Alex began saying "That's right" and Jay had to talk over him a bit to rephrase.
To clarify on the "siesta fiesta" question - this was an instance of the Alex overdub. In live gameplay, I said "siesta fiest... what is siesta fiesta?" very, very quickly and Alex ruled no. The judges thought I got it in on time and Alex persisted in his impression that I didn't. There was a five-minute delay - we players had to turn away from the board in case there were any revelatory malfunctions on the board, and the independent compliance company worked with the judges and verified I got it in on time. Later in a break, Alex re-recorded "just in time, Jay," which is why it sounds like we were talking simultaneously, which wasn't the case live.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jgpeterson wrote:To clarify on the "siesta fiesta" question - this was an instance of the Alex overdub. In live gameplay, I said "siesta fiest... what is siesta fiesta?" very, very quickly and Alex ruled no. The judges thought I got it in on time and Alex persisted in his impression that I didn't. There was a five-minute delay - we players had to turn away from the board in case there were any revelatory malfunctions on the board, and the independent compliance company worked with the judges and verified I got it in on time. Later in a break, Alex re-recorded "just in time, Jay," which is why it sounds like we were talking simultaneously, which wasn't the case live.
Thanks for the clarification, welcome, and congrats on your one win!

jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

jay, it's great to have you join us here and provide the inside scoop. congrats on two very strong games. your skill and sportsmanship are both commendable.

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

econgator wrote:
jgpeterson wrote:To clarify on the "siesta fiesta" question - this was an instance of the Alex overdub. In live gameplay, I said "siesta fiest... what is siesta fiesta?" very, very quickly and Alex ruled no. The judges thought I got it in on time and Alex persisted in his impression that I didn't. There was a five-minute delay - we players had to turn away from the board in case there were any revelatory malfunctions on the board, and the independent compliance company worked with the judges and verified I got it in on time. Later in a break, Alex re-recorded "just in time, Jay," which is why it sounds like we were talking simultaneously, which wasn't the case live.
Thanks for the clarification, welcome, and congrats on your one win!

@econgator - thanks and thanks!

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

jpahk wrote:jay, it's great to have you join us here and provide the inside scoop. congrats on two very strong games. your skill and sportsmanship are both commendable.
@joon - thanks! it doesn't need to be said, but we're looking forward to seeing you in the toc. there are the mass of players, players like me, who on any given day can win or lose, but players like you make that margin between winning and losing just that much wider. you had one of the most memorable runs we can remember.

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

xxaaaxx wrote:Instaget FJ, though the 19th Century's idea of 'childrens literature' never ceases to be utterly horrifying to me :shock:

I can only imagine the look on the Disney exec's face when he read the original.
Oh man, then prepared to have your childhood destroyed:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18589_7- ... ories.html

And that's just seven of em. There's no lack of dark in a lot of those original stories. Cinderella's got some good moments too...for example, how do you get a size 14 foot into a size 5 shoe? Exactly!! With sharp cutting instruments!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (7), The Circle (4), Elevator to the Gallows (8)

reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

Ryan wrote:Maggie spent all morning of our tape day (for next week's shows) singing "Balaji" to the tune of "Honesty" by Billy Joel.
I get a Supertramp song from Even in the Quietest Moments called "Babaji." (Ah, I see Paucle is ahead of me per usual... but mine has a link.)

On FJ I missed the chirping of the violin-playing cricket and took a WAG of Rikki Tikki Tavi -- who's probably not even a title character -- over Peter Rabbit. The 45K Coryat is some consolation.

Very much enjoyed watching both Jay and Balaji play. Both this game and Wednesday's (the three L players) were very well-played games with terrific scores.
Back in the pool

jkbrat
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jkbrat »

(Had to wait and play this game off the archive [THX, ARCHIVISTS :D !] because for unfathomable reasons my DVR decided to not record it for me.)

I was a bit distracted by the category title "THE SONG DYNASTY" in the J! round.

Given the word dynasty, I was expecting there would be some sort of familial link between the people in the category. Hmm, let's see... Lennon & McCartney? Jagger & Richards? I guess not. Oh, maybe they're going for song duos rather than song dynasties! But wait, the next clue is a trio (which I got, but I was still trying to parse the category title in the back of my mind). Went 1/5. Don't know if I should brush up on my songs or learn to ignore the category name. :?

I also negged with Chaka Khan - would have been funny if it happened on the show :oops:

And finally, our first contestant in the negging-with-style competition:

INTERNATIONAL RHYME TIME $2000
A barrel of wine from a group of people living in the Western Pyrenees of Spain and France

What is an Andorra amphora??

(At least it rhymed!)

~ Julie
There are times I almost think I am not sure of what I absolutely knooooooooo-OW

Learn, Review, Repeat

A Archipelago

jgpeterson
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by jgpeterson »

reddpen wrote:
Ryan wrote:Maggie spent all morning of our tape day (for next week's shows) singing "Balaji" to the tune of "Honesty" by Billy Joel.
I get a Supertramp song from Even in the Quietest Moments called "Babaji." (Ah, I see Paucle is ahead of me per usual... but mine has a link.)

On FJ I missed the chirping of the violin-playing cricket and took a WAG of Rikki Tikki Tavi -- who's probably not even a title character -- over Peter Rabbit. The 45K Coryat is some consolation.

Very much enjoyed watching both Jay and Balaji play. Both this game and Wednesday's (the three L players) were very well-played games with terrific scores.
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who had complete mental block on the Pinocchio FJ - whose name henceforth will never be uttered in the Peterson household. Thanks - Balaji and I had a good back-and-forth there in DJ. That Wednesday game with the three L's was also a good one. I feel bad for Liz because even though she went home as a one-day co-champion, she didn't make much money, and she played really well that game. Lanny had already won twice and Lloyd won over $20k. All three were deserving champs. Looking forward to seeing you play one day soon!