FJs for the 10/17/11 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJs did you solve correctly for the 10/17/11 week?

Poll ended at Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:55 pm

To mark an historic visit, on May 17 an Irish army band played this song followed by Ireland's anthem
59%
His 1922 New York Times obituary mentions that his patent no. 174,465 "has been called the most valuable patent ever issued"
58%
In the 1940s Franklin Roosevelt coined this term in reference to all the countries allied against the Axis powers
33%
In 1978 he replaced his brothers at No. 1, who then replaced him; one of the brothers was a writer on all 3 songs
69%
In the original 1883 work, this title character kills a talking cricket, has his feet burned off & nearly starves
84%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: I checked all five above.
6%
:( :( :( :( :( I missed all the FJs.
1%
FICTION $1600: The first book in George R.R. Martin's epic series "A Song of Ice and Fire" became this HBO series in 2011
63%
AT SIXES & SEVENS $400: It's a women's track & field competition that consists of 7 events
96%
THE HIGH LAND $2000: Europe's high point is 18,510-foot Mount Elbrus in this country
41%

Total votes: 80

heelsrule1988
Sports Jeopardy! Alum/VVL #19

Re: FJs for the 10/17/11 week

Post by heelsrule1988 »

:( :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :(
LeFlaneur
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by LeFlaneur »

:D :D :x :D :D
:( :D :D
The Good Guys seemed a better guess than the United Nations.
Le Flaneur
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

:D :cry: :cry: :cry: :D

:cry: :D :cry:

Mon. Guessed it, didn't really have much of an inkling, but I went with it.
Tue. Bell passed thru my head, but didn't stay there, thought he'd died a good bit earlier. Couldn't think of anyone else, though, and clammed
Wed. Clueless
Thu. Was sure it was the Gibbs, but I guessed Barry.
Fri. Talking cricket, and I know Disney "softened up" the fairy tales a WHOLE LOT. Jumped on it!

Bonii:

Never heard of Game Of Thrones or Fire And Ice, have never even had HBO.
Instaget on the heptathlon
Guessed a very unconvinced "Australia" on Mt. Elbrus... As I type this, I suddenly remember Australia's is Kosciusko.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

:( :( :( :( :mrgreen:
Forgive me if this has been covered, but is there any way to see how specific people voted if they don't post it separately like this?
Last edited by thejeopardyfan on Mon Oct 24, 2011 6:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
mam418
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by mam418 »

:( :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Bell was a guess, but a good one as it turned out. Pinocchio was an instaget. Had the wrong Gibb (Maurice), and fell for the Hail to the chief negbait. (And I thought the UN one was poorly written. No clue. Said 'free world', and felt good about it, but UN? really?)

on the others...
Didn't see the miniseries, but loved the book, so was easy.
Big Olympics fan, so 'twas easy.
Said Switzerland. Thought perhaps it was an Alp. ooops!
thejeopardyfan wrote: Forgive me if this has been covered, but is there any way to see how specific people voted if they don't post it separately like this?
I don't think so. (though don't quote me on it - not an expert.)
Spaceman Spiff
One-and-done J! Champ (and proud of it!)

Post by Spaceman Spiff »

:( :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Not one of my better weeks.

Swung the wrong way on Monday (went with "Star Spangled Banner").
Pre-guessed either Tesla or A G Bell on Tuesday, remembering he was Scottish. Figured Tesla died before the date in the clue, so went with Bell (and definitely a valuable patent).
NFI on Roosevelt's UN term.
Discussed the Gibbs/Jackson 5ive thing earlier. Guess it helps to be old enough to remember the 70s.
Friday was pretty obvious with the cricket; probably didn't hurt that I was flipping through the channels before J! came on, and watched a few moments of the Roberto Benigni version of Pinnochio just prior to switching.

And for the bonus questions... clueless, except for heptathalon.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

:mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would have gone five-for-five if I hadn't negged myself for getting "Bell" after the think music ended.

Mt. Elbrus was a gimme - I'm a big fan of WWII gaming simulations and the history of the war, so I knew that it was in the Caucasus Mountains. What I had to stop and think about for a moment was whether it was still in Russia or had become part of either Ukraine or Kazakhstan.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: Better than I thought. Kudos for including "A Game of Thrones" 8-)
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

:mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Edison for Bell. (Was watching on a TV in a bowling alley with the volume down, never saw the category)
Switzerland for Russia.
No idea on the Axis nickname, I think I said something like "Justice League."
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

:mrgreen: :( :( :( :mrgreen:

Not a good week for me. Fell for Edison and Michael Jackson. And no hope at all on the UN FJ. It reminds me of the "Cold War" FJ, but less gettable.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

thejeopardyfan wrote: Forgive me if this has been covered, but is there any way to see how specific people voted if they don't post it separately like this?
Wondering about someone in particular? (As far as I know, there's no way -- even I, a moderator, can't see who voted for what.)

Now I guess I need to post my results...

:x :mrgreen: :x :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :x
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

trainman: Not really. I used to like reading who got what on the old boards, and how I measured up, etc.
thejeopardyfan
(Unranked)

Post by thejeopardyfan »

P.S. Kinda the same reason I like to post my Coryats and read those of other people.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

earendel wrote::mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I would have gone five-for-five if I hadn't negged myself for getting "Bell" after the think music ended.

Mt. Elbrus was a gimme - I'm a big fan of WWII gaming simulations and the history of the war, so I knew that it was in the Caucasus Mountains. What I had to stop and think about for a moment was whether it was still in Russia or had become part of either Ukraine or Kazakhstan.
I hope you have since learned that neither the Ukraine or Kazakhstan are in the Caucusus (the ex-Soviet states that the Caucuses run though are Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia (as well as the handful of unrecognized nations in that area)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

dhkendall wrote:
earendel wrote::mrgreen: :!: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I hope you have since learned that neither the Ukraine or Kazakhstan are in the Caucusus (the ex-Soviet states that the Caucuses run though are Russia, Georgia, Azerbaijan, and Armenia (as well as the handful of unrecognized nations in that area)
I've added that to my list of geographical data that I need to brush up on.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :( :mrgreen:
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

First thought on Thursday was the Gibbs, but I realized I would have to guess semi-blindly on a first name (I think I would have ended up on Barry) and thus went with Michael Jackson.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

In researching the percentages, I came across a modification to the software that allows this (it is not "standard"). I'll look into implementing it since I like that feature, but it's not a high priority.

As for my week, crap. Just plain crap is all I've got to say. (Another reason to put off implementing the mod.)