Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

User avatar
Winchell Factor
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 505
Joined: Sat Nov 29, 2014 4:07 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Winchell Factor » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:46 am

floridagator wrote:I knew Roy’s habit of botching the actual words of things (e.g., Tonkin Gulf resolution, Charles Manson group) would not serve him well....
Roy also has a habit of calling himself Sam.

User avatar
OSXpert
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 881
Joined: Thu Jun 05, 2014 7:29 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by OSXpert » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:52 am

I said Christopher Wren for the Pepys clue, because I thought he might be sad about architecture burning.

User avatar
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2114
Joined: Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:03 pm
Location: Westmonster, MD
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:26 am

Linear Gnome wrote:I said Social Science and I'm counting it as a get. (For some reason, I still remember that baseball is 796.357.)
As did I, and we were BOTH more correct than the contestant.
http://mypages.iit.edu/~smart/halsey/lesson1.htm
Linear Gnome wrote:I was bothered by the fact that the alcohol proof clue wanted the response as a decimal but the response "43%" was accepted.
Yup, as a math geek, I can tell you 43% is NOT a decimal.
Linear Gnome wrote: The clue for "We Three Kings" said that "this song title precedes 'bearing gifts we traverse afar'" but it doesn't say the title immediately precedes the lyric so I think the acceptance is clearly correct.

Samuel Pepys is one of those things I learned from watching J! long enough--got it correct in my game and again tonight.

ETA: got FJ. Didn't know the fact about Orwell and Huxley, but it made it easy to eliminate Orwell.
Same here on all counts
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!

User avatar
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream
Posts: 8771
Joined: Fri Jul 01, 2011 11:49 am
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by dhkendall » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:14 am

BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Abraxas wrote:I also got the missed DD of Pepys.
Surprised you (and Sam) missed Pepys, that's about as Pavlovian as they come.
A reread is in order.
And a reread has been done, thank you Mark & Matty (and apologies to Abraxas)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2538
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:49 am

OSXpert wrote:Pre-called "Orwell, Huxley, Bradbury, Suzanne Collins, or Phillip K. Dick." and was 90% sure it would be one of these. How many more FJ-worthy options are there? Pretty easy.

Social Science vs. Social Studies?

Glad they gave back the money on "We Three Kings"
1. I precalled William Golding and Neville Shute. Looking them both up afterward, I see both were English and roughly (but not close enough) in the right time period. When I saw the clue I was fairly comfortable with Golding. Ugh. Seems like an awfully tough clue unless you just happen to know the exact dates of birth of the persons involved, or happen to know that particular factoid about Huxley teaching Orwell (I certainly never heard it).

2. Social Science should certainly be ruled correct.

3. Ditto on "We Three Kings."

John Boy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 2538
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 7:11 am

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by John Boy » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:54 am

MarkBarrett wrote:
hbomb1947 wrote:
For Huxley I tried to recall the drug soma in Brave New World and was close thinking soba.
IIRC Soma ("half a gram saves a damn") is marketed today under the name "Xanax."

User avatar
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion
Posts: 4791
Joined: Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:35 am
Location: Seattle

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by This Is Kirk! » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:57 am

John Boy wrote:1. I precalled William Golding and Neville Shute.
I'd consider "On The Beach" to be post-apocalyptic rather than dystopian, but it may be splitting hairs.

User avatar
nserven
At the Clam Shack
Posts: 941
Joined: Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:05 pm
Location: Greenfield, MA

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by nserven » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:37 pm

My only precall whom I don't think has been mentioned yet is Margaret Atwood.

brick
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 811
Joined: Tue May 26, 2015 2:03 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by brick » Wed Dec 16, 2015 1:32 pm

dhkendall wrote:
BigDaddyMatty wrote:
dhkendall wrote:
Abraxas wrote:I also got the missed DD of Pepys.
Surprised you (and Sam) missed Pepys, that's about as Pavlovian as they come.
A reread is in order.
And a reread has been done, thank you Mark & Matty (and apologies to Abraxas)
I had a college professor who wuoted Pepys so frequently that one of my classmates cheekily asked her if Pepys had taken her to Prom.

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 3600
Joined: Thu Jan 12, 2012 10:55 pm

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by davey » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:27 am

Winchell Factor wrote:
floridagator wrote:I knew Roy’s habit of botching the actual words of things (e.g., Tonkin Gulf resolution, Charles Manson group) would not serve him well....
Roy also has a habit of calling himself Sam.
And he didn't botch "Tonkin Gulf Resolution"...Those are the actual words he said...

I got FJ easily, but H.G. Wells wasn't a bad guess, considering that his novel The Shape of Things to Come came out in 1933. The book predicted World War 2. (But it also ends a hundred years later in an apparent utopia....)

User avatar
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by El Jefe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:47 am

BobF wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I said Social Science and I'm counting it as a get. (For some reason, I still remember that baseball is 796.357.)
As did I, and we were BOTH more correct than the contestant.
http://mypages.iit.edu/~smart/halsey/lesson1.htm
Linear Gnome wrote:I was bothered by the fact that the alcohol proof clue wanted the response as a decimal but the response "43%" was accepted.
Yup, as a math geek, I can tell you 43% is NOT a decimal.
Since I am a literate person who diagrams sentences (and a degreed mathematician, BTW) I ask you which part of speech DECIMAL is in the following clue?

"I have a bottle of Dewar's 12 Year that is 86 proof or this much alcohol by volume as a decimal fraction"

Hint: you'll find those rascals at Merriam-Webster somehow accept the (particular) definition as "1) : based on the number 10"

So, "Forty-three one-hundredths" is a fraction, "Point four three" is a decimal, and "Forty-three percent" is a DECIMAL FRACTION.

User avatar
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard
Posts: 7001
Joined: Thu Aug 11, 2011 2:33 pm
Location: Shawnee, KS
Contact:

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by opusthepenguin » Wed Jan 27, 2016 9:24 am

El Jefe wrote:
BobF wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I was bothered by the fact that the alcohol proof clue wanted the response as a decimal but the response "43%" was accepted.
Yup, as a math geek, I can tell you 43% is NOT a decimal.
Since I am a literate person who diagrams sentences (and a degreed mathematician, BTW) I ask you which part of speech DECIMAL is in the following clue?

"I have a bottle of Dewar's 12 Year that is 86 proof or this much alcohol by volume as a decimal fraction"

Hint: you'll find those rascals at Merriam-Webster somehow accept the (particular) definition as "1) : based on the number 10"

So, "Forty-three one-hundredths" is a fraction, "Point four three" is a decimal, and "Forty-three percent" is a DECIMAL FRACTION.
Not sure I follow you there, Jefe. Does it make a difference to your argument if decimal fraction is a term of art and would be diagrammed as a single noun with a meaning that cannot be reliably determined by defining the constituent parts?

User avatar
El Jefe
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much
Posts: 489
Joined: Sun Oct 13, 2013 12:26 am

Re: Tuesday, December 15, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by El Jefe » Wed Jan 27, 2016 3:34 pm

opusthepenguin wrote:
El Jefe wrote:
BobF wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:
Linear Gnome wrote:I was bothered by the fact that the alcohol proof clue wanted the response as a decimal but the response "43%" was accepted.
Yup, as a math geek, I can tell you 43% is NOT a decimal.
Since I am a literate person who diagrams sentences (and a degreed mathematician, BTW) I ask you which part of speech DECIMAL is in the following clue?

"I have a bottle of Dewar's 12 Year that is 86 proof or this much alcohol by volume as a decimal fraction"

Hint: you'll find those rascals at Merriam-Webster somehow accept the (particular) definition as "1) : based on the number 10"

So, "Forty-three one-hundredths" is a fraction, "Point four three" is a decimal, and "Forty-three percent" is a DECIMAL FRACTION.
Not sure I follow you there, Jefe. Does it make a difference to your argument if decimal fraction is a term of art and would be diagrammed as a single noun with a meaning that cannot be reliably determined by defining the constituent parts?
Interesting listing- really all I meant to elicit was the recognition that DECIMAL is possibly an adjective that modifies FRACTION. I'm comfortable with the ambiguous inclusivity (or is it inclusive ambiguity? or is that redundant? doubt spiral!).

Post Reply