Friday, December 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, dhkendall, trainman, econgator

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, December 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:30 am

Game Recap for Show #7195, 2015-12-18

WE ASKED: NYT crossword puzzle editor Will Shortz.

CONTESTANTS
Kiyana Holderbaum, an instructional designer from Long Beach, California
Julie Graves, a public health doctor from Houston, Texas
Claudia Corriere, a church musician and homemaker from Kennesaw, Georgia (whose 1-day cash winnings total $7,800)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thanks, Johnny. And thank you, ladies and gentlemen. Hey, welcome aboard, ladies and gentlemen. Um, a tough Final on yesterday's program, but a wise wager made Claudia the new champion. She doesn't have a lot of money--$7,800--but that's okay. She's playing again today and could add to that considerably. Julie and Kiyana have something to say about it, so welcome, ladies, and good luck. Here we go. Now the categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
FILL IN THE BLANK CANVAS (5/5)
MOVIE CAMEOS (5/5)
ANAGRAMMED FORMER WORLD LEADERS (2/5)
NUT-TRITION (5/5)
CEREMONIES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD (3/5) (Will Shortz: In honor of Crossword Puzzle Day on Monday, I'm puzzle editor Will Shortz. You'll do better at home in this category if you worked on our crosswords this week.)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Claudia: 11 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 1 W
Julie: 9 R, 0 W
Kiyana: 5 R, 1 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 5
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $3,600

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Claudia found the Daily Double on the 2nd clue. Claudia had $200, Julie was scoreless, and Kiyana had nothing in the bank. Claudia wagered $1,000.

CEREMONIES $400: A ceremony on November 19, 1863 dedicated a cemetery in this town

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Julie: $3,800
Claudia: $3,400
Kiyana: $2,400

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Kiyana Holderbaum is from Long Beach, California. And she's a big hockey fan. We're well into the hockey season now. Your favorite team is a local one.

Kiyana: Of course. The L.A. Kings, Alex.

Alex: And did you go to the Stanley Cup celebrations and parade...

Kiyana: Yes.

Alex: ...when they won?

Kiyana: Absolutely. My husband Bruce and I made it to both parades and the rallies inside Staples Center afterwards. And this season, I just bought a New Jersey that I blinged out in black and silver crystals. So I'm super excited to debut that, so...

Alex: Good for you. And you get to many games?

Kiyana: We try to watch them on all TV, the ones we can't get to.

Alex: Okay, good.

Alex: Julie Graves, public health doctor from Houston, Texas. It says here that while in college, you competed in the annual beer bike relay race as a beer chugger.

Julie: Absolutely.

Alex: What is a beer chugger?

Julie: Well, we gotta drink our beer as fast as we can and not spill any. At Rice University, we have an annual spring festival with a relay race--drink beer, ride a bike around the track. And I just went back for the alumni race this spring and competed as the oldest competitor.

Alex: Good for you.

[Laughter]

Alex: Claudia Corriere is our champion. She's a classically trained soprano whose mom was on our program and won.

Claudia: Yes, she was on in 2009, and she won one game, but it was a big game.

Alex: How big a game?

Claudia: $30,000.

Alex: Ooh! Hello!

Claudia: Yeah.

Alex: That is a big game.

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
ANAGRAMMED FORMER WORLD LEADERS $600: Uh oh! Panama!:
GENUINE AMORAL

ANAGRAMMED FORMER WORLD LEADERS $800: He Laboured over Britain:
BRAINY LOT

ANAGRAMMED FORMER WORLD LEADERS $1000: Late Israeli leader:
SOLAR HERNIA

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD $200: (Will Shortz delivers the clue.) Monday had a presidential theme; one clue was to this "supply-side fiscal policy popularized in the 1980s"
(Claudia: What is trickle-down?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD $1000: (Will Shortz delivers the clue.) On Friday there's no theme, so you just have to know this 10-letter "TV host who followed Jimmy Fallon on late night"
(Alex: And we do want to thank the puzzle master, Will Shortz, for that category. He's the only person in America who has a degree in enigmatology. Thanks, Will.)

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Claudia: $6,200
Julie: $5,600
Kiyana: $2,000

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, December 18, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:30 am

DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
THE ROMANTIC POETS (4/5)
HONEST "ABE" (3/5)
PALACES (4/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING HALL OF FAMERS (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
MINNEAPOLIS (2/5)
ST. PAUL (4/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Claudia: 11 R, 1 W
Julie: 8 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kiyana: 3 R, 0 W

Clues revealed: 30
Triple Stumpers: 8
Double Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $10,400

FIRST DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Julie snagged the next Daily Double on the 12th clue. Claudia had $8,200, Julie had $7,200, and Kiyana was at $2,000. Julie wagered $3,000.

PALACES $1600: Ponder the tragic life of Crown Prince Rudolf in his lavish suite in this capital's Schonbrunn Palace
(Alex: It's a pretty palace, isn't it? You've been there.)
(Julie: Yeah.)
(Alex: Yeah. Good for you.)

SECOND DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
It was Julie who snatched up the last Daily Double of the game on the 14th clue. Claudia had $8,200, Julie had $12,200, and Kiyana was at $2,000. Julie wagered $2,500.

INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING HALL OF FAMERS $800: This oceanographer & inventor, 1910-1997

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE DOUBLE JEOPARDY! ROUND
HONEST "ABE" $1200: A young pine or fir stem tossed in Highland Games

HONEST "ABE" $1600: This word for the science of baseball analytics comes from the name of a research society

ST. PAUL $800: Paul & Barnabas preached to big crowds in Antioch, where Acts 11 says the Disciples were first called these
(Julie: What are Apostles?)

PALACES $400: This "seasonal" palace has been called "St. Petersburg's most famous building"

THE ROMANTIC POETS $1600: His first major work was "The Lay of the Last Minstrel", a poem set on & north of England's northern border
(Claudia: Who is Burns?)
(Julie: Who is Tennyson?)

MINNEAPOLIS $1200: Foshay Tower was Minneapolis' tallest when opened in this year; Mr. Foshay's business promptly collapsed, but the tower stands

MINNEAPOLIS $1600: Drive your toy truck to this 12-mile-long lake in the western suburbs
(Julie: What is Tonka?)

MINNEAPOLIS $2000: Before the Twins, fans rooted for this minor league team named for the many locals who worked grinding flour

SCORES ENTERING FINAL JEOPARDY!
Claudia: $16,200
Julie: $14,300
Kiyana: $6,400

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

VENUSIAN MONOLOGUES/MARTIAN CHRONICLES
Four-fifths for first place.
Claudia: Wager $12,401 to cover Julie.
Julie: Try wagering $1,499, which is as much as you can put up against Claudia without being usurped by a doubled score on the part of Kiyana.
Kiyana: There's no way you can cover a rational wager by Julie, but if Julie decides for some reason to wager everything, you can eke out a win on a Triple Stumper if you wager no more than $2,600.

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While working for a plastics company, Don Featherstone created this iconic lawn decor, basing it on photos in National Geographic

FINAL SCORES
Kiyana: $6,400 + $4,000 = $10,400 (What is a pink flamingo?) (3rd place)
Julie: $14,300 + $1,901 = $16,201 (What are pink flamingos) (2nd place)
Claudia: $16,200 + $5,000 = $21,200 (What is plastic flamingo?) (7801-day champion: $21,200)
(Alex: [To Kiyana] Have you ever had [*]?)
(Kiyana: I have not, but I might need to now.)

Total Potential Lach Trash: $14,000

GAME DYNAMICS

CORYAT SCORES
Claudia: $15,600, 22 R (including 1 DD), 2 W
Julie: $11,200, 17 R (including 2 DDs), 3 W
Kiyana: $6,400, 8 R, 1 W
Combined Coryat: $33,200

BATTING AVERAGES
Claudia: 23/59 = .390
Julie: 18/60 = .300
Kiyana: 9/58 = .155
Team: 50/63 = .794

MISCELLANEOUS INTERESTING CLUES
NUT-TRITION $600: A key ingredient in pesto, these nuts are an excellent source of vitamin E

MOVIE CAMEOS $200: (Dan Patrick reads the clue.) My good friend Adam Sandler has cast me in 9 of his films, including "Grown Ups 2" in which I played a gym teacher dressed as this 1980s Celtics legend

MOVIE CAMEOS $600: (Al Michaels delivers the clue.) Well, I didn't win an Oscar playing myself in this 1996 movie but Cuba Gooding Jr. did for his performance as a wide receiver for the Cardinals

FILL IN THE BLANK CANVAS $1000: Dali gave it a name that stuck: "The Persistence of ____"
(Kiyana: What is time?)

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD $400: (Will Shortz delivers the clue.) On Tuesday we had some hidden Bobs; you'll find Dylan in this "classic board game with a peppermint forest"

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD $600: (Will Shortz delivers the clue.) On Wednesday you had to know compound words where each half could also have "dead" before it--there was airline, seahorse & this response to "top on official stationery"

THE NEW YORK TIMES CROSSWORD $800: (Will Shortz delivers the clue.) On Thursday we rolled the D-I-C-E, as in these, "racy books named after a Victorian garment"

PALACES $800: Lhasa's Potala Palace would be a nice place for this religious leader, who fled in 1959, to come home to, if he ever can

INTERNATIONAL SWIMMING HALL OF FAMERS $1600: This prince shown as a young man, later chairman of the Monegasque Swimming Federation

CORRECT RESPONSES
Gettysburg
Manuel Noriega
Tony Blair
Ariel Sharon
Reaganomics
Seth Meyers
Vienna
(Jacques) Cousteau
the caber
sabermetrics
Christians
the Winter Palace for the Romanovs
Sir Walter Scott
Minnetonka
the Millers
a pink flamingo
pine nuts
Larry Bird
Jerry Maguire
memory
Candyland
letterhead
bodice ripper
the Dalai Lama
(Prince) Albert

theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:31 am

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICANA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
While working for a plastics company, Don Featherstone created this iconic lawn decor, basing it on photos in National Geographic

Claudia Corriere: 16200+5000=21200 (2x=$29,000)
Julie Graves: 14300+1901=16201
Kiyana Holderbaum: 6400+4000=10400

Correct response:
SpoilerShow
(pink) flamingo (Kiyana - pink flamingo, Julie - pink flamingos, Claudia - plastic flamingo)
Last edited by theFJguy on Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:53 pm

I'm guessing Golf will say the wagering force left Claudia after yesterday's show. Glad Claudia just said flamingo, so I know for certain my response would be accepted.

I'm not a crossword guy, but the category was kind of bleah.

Nailed both the baseball TS clues.

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:07 pm

Way to go WFTV. Thanks for preempting the show for some college football bullshit.

MitchO

Post by MitchO » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:28 pm

... that board was upside down, right? It felt like the $1000s/$2000s/DDs/FJ were the easiest questions.

Right player won, but for the wrong betting reason.

Golf

Post by Golf » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:30 pm

After caber was a SAS, I would have wagered infinite auditions that sabermetrics would follow suit.

Did anyone else think that quite a few bottom row clues were basic info for the category?

As for FJ, those were interesting wagers.....
Bamaman wrote:I'm guessing Golf will say the wagering force left Claudia after yesterday's show.
There was a reason I added a qualifier after I said that!

xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:32 pm

Ah, 2nd place wagering: they go all-in when they shouldn't, they don't when they should, and when they do show restraint, the suicide wager would've won them the game. Heh. (And she still bet ~400 too much anyway)

Instaget FJ. What else could it be?
Golf wrote:After caber was a SAS, I would have wagered infinite auditions that sabermetrics would follow suit.
That caber TS was a surprise. The swimming gave me hope, but then came sabermetrics and I just shook my head.

Also, how did they not get Minnetonka off the rebound!?
Last edited by xxaaaxx on Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Abraxas

Post by Abraxas » Fri Dec 18, 2015 7:35 pm

Julie and Claudia played very well; congrats to Claudia on her second win. I had 44 correct responses including nine triple stumpers: Tony Blair, Reaganomics, Seth Meyers, sabermetrics, Christians, the Winter Palace, 1929, Lake Minnetonka, and Millers. Instaget FJ, even before Alex finished reading the clue.

TenPoundHammer
Otters are meant to swim

Post by TenPoundHammer » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:10 pm

My sister's U-Verse had a hiccup, so I only got FJ! However, it FINALLY snapped my losing streak. (I looked up yesterday's online and no way was I getting that one.)
Ten Pound Hammer

This space for rent

goatman
Man Who Stares At Goats!

Post by goatman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:21 pm

Game play was pretty good, with a real contest and decent scores, but all the contestants wagered to win second place...

40R for goats, instaget FJ, LT: Manuel Noriega; caber, Winter Palace (Also featured on LL67 this week!!! What the odds?!?), Walter Scott (Burns negbaitish but easy to mistake), 1929 crash.
No get on Minnetonka, IMHO the writers are getting far too creative to expect us to solve a riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma within 5 seconds! :?
The corridors of my mind are plastered with 3M Post-It notes!

Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:23 pm

Ohh, those FJ wagers... groan

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:36 pm

Glad to see Claudia win again! I ran that World Leaders' Mixed Up Names category which was good because I've been slacking in word play categories recently. I only get to do the Sunday NYT crossword anymore so I enjoyed that category too. Easiest FJ of the week!

OSXpert

Post by OSXpert » Fri Dec 18, 2015 8:55 pm

I think this FJ will poll at about triple whatever yesterdays get rate was.

I missed just "bodice ripper" in the crossword clues, even though I did solve all the puzzles this week. I had never heard of it before Wednesday, but maybe it will stick in my head now.

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:18 pm

MitchO wrote:... that board was upside down, right? It felt like the $1000s/$2000s/DDs/FJ were the easiest questions.

Right player won, but for the wrong betting reason.
Hitchcock being in the bottom row in the cameos category was way overvalued.

sarisson

Post by sarisson » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:46 pm

I tied a personal record with 43 right, including Final. Would've had more if I hadn't clammed on "Winter Palace," since I didn't want to flip the Koin. (I got the LL question right and have been in the building.) :oops: I even got four of the film clues, one fewer than I've gotten in two seasons of LL.
Yesterday's Final cost me the elusive 5/5. Maybe I'll "check all five FJ's" when the Teen Tournament airs.
In for a second lap

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman » Fri Dec 18, 2015 9:57 pm

Can anyone figure out who Claudia's mother is?

cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty » Fri Dec 18, 2015 10:02 pm

Bamaman wrote:Can anyone figure out who Claudia's mother is?
Carolyn Young

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:00 pm

cheezguyty wrote:
Bamaman wrote:Can anyone figure out who Claudia's mother is?
Carolyn Young
That is quite the J! story she wrote. Thanks for the research.

I forgot to edit in the Coryats in the box three as is my style and I'm not going to switch user names again.

Claudia: 15600
Julie: 11200
Kiyana: 6400

Combined: 33200 - highest of the week

Yes, Sabermetrics after a TS for caber was a bet the house stumper.

Julie lost three chances to win the game. Vienna and Cousteau on her DDs were near can't miss clues and while $5500 total is better than some contestants would wager it still was not enough. For any players, if you are fortunate enough to find a 2nd box DD that is a good time to bet bravely. The third opportunity for Julie to have won was her FJ! wager.

AMERICANA is not a bad category, so none of that trying to go past the leader's amount entering the FJ! round by a buck. Sure, the lowball strategy can work out sometimes while at other times it only leads to regret.

Claudia needs another win to pass mom's money total, but 2 wins beats 1 win every time. It's nice that Alex (and Claudia) let viewers know about the mom/daughter connection.

hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Congrats to Claudia on her second win.

A very instagetty FJ.

Lots of LT; I scooped up Blair, Noriega, Sharon, caber, sabermetrics, Winter Palace (which I also got correct in LL this week, and have been to), Minnetonka (the "Tonka" neg by one of the contestants was predictable) and Millers. I did fall for the neg-bait with Robbie Burns for the Scottish poet. I don't think of Sir Walter Scott as a poet (having previously only been familiar with his novels), but I guess he was a double-threat.
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide