Joon Pahk in NY Mag's "The Approval Matrix"!

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Joon Pahk in NY Mag's "The Approval Matrix"!

Post by pinkfreud »

Although I've only visited New York City twice in my life, I've been a fan of New York magazine for a long time. Each week the magazine presents "The Approval Matrix," which notes the week's highbrow and lowbrow events and ranks them from "despicable" to "brilliant."

In this week's issue (October 24, 2011), The Approval Matrix features a photo of Joon Pahk with the caption "Daring Daily Double demon Joon Pahk rocks Jeopardy!" (in the highbrow/brilliant quadrant, of course).

Why they ranked a "garment sculptor" as more brilliant and more highbrow than Joon is a mystery to me. People in New York are strange sometimes.
Rafferty Barnes
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Joon Pahk in NY Mag's "The Approval Matrix"!

Post by Rafferty Barnes »

That's even better than being made fun of on The Soup!
SkoolRN
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by SkoolRN »

pinkfreud wrote:Although I've only visited New York City twice in my life, I've been a fan of New York magazine for a long time. Each week the magazine presents "The Approval Matrix," which notes the week's highbrow and lowbrow events and ranks them from "despicable" to "brilliant."

In this week's issue (October 24, 2011), The Approval Matrix features a photo of Joon Pahk with the caption "Daring Daily Double demon Joon Pahk rocks Jeopardy!" (in the highbrow/brilliant quadrant, of course).

Why they ranked a "garment sculptor" as more brilliant and more highbrow than Joon is a mystery to me. People in New York are strange sometimes.
Congratualtions to Joon. I expect this is one of many well-deserved accolades.
"Lefthanders have more enthusiasm for life. They sleep on the wrong side of the bed and their head gets more stagnant on that side."
Casey Stengel.
jpahk
Jeopardy! TOCer

Post by jpahk »

thanks. yeah, a couple of people have pointed this out to me. i don't know much about new york magazine other than their crossword puzzle, but i've seen the approval matrix before. a friend of mine was on it last year when he won the american crossword puzzle tournament. (also highbrow/brilliant, natch.) what is garment sculpture? (phrase that will never be uttered on jeopardy)

as for "many well-deserved accolades", well. there have been some local newspaper articles, but i won't be doing the late-night TV circuit, i'll tell you that. i think this is the shout-out i'm proudest of.
pinkfreud
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by pinkfreud »

jpahk wrote:...i don't know much about new york magazine other than their crossword puzzle...
I started reading New York because they used to have a wonderfully witty wordplay competition edited by Mary Ann Madden. The competition is long gone, but my affection for the magazine remains. It's a mixed bag of reviews, photo essays, and cultural commentary that can be appreciated without a knowledge of New York City.