Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

JK2010
Contributor

Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

Post by JK2010 »

I went to register for the 2016 Online Contestant Test (as I have done for ~10 years now), but found a surprising bit of information on the Jeopardy.com FAQ section:

ARE CANADIANS ELIGIBLE TO TAKE THE TEST?
At this time we are precluded from accepting registration information from Canadian residents. We are currently evaluating this matter.

Does anyone have any insight into what has changed in the past year so as to preclude Canadians from participating? I sent a question through the website's Contact Us function and will report back with any information I receive.
patkav
The Chicago Mauler

Re: Eligibility of Canadians for Jeopardy Online Test 2016

Post by patkav »

I would bet it has something to do with information security laws and the infamous Sony hack.

But that's a wild guess.
Golf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Golf »

This has been discussed here. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=3221
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

I hope it is rectified soon, as there's been some good Canadians on, and some good Canadians that should be on soon. ;)

Also, most of the people I want to tell about the upcoming test (that have a greater interest since my audition) are Canadian and, as per my rooting interest hierarchy, I want them on!
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

dhkendall wrote:I hope it is rectified soon, as there's been some good Canadians on, and some good Canadians that should be on soon. ;)
And the odd jackass expat nouveau-Texan.
@caknuck
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

caknuck wrote:
dhkendall wrote:I hope it is rectified soon, as there's been some good Canadians on, and some good Canadians that should be on soon. ;)
And the odd jackass expat nouveau-Texan.
Actually, most expat nouveau-Texans are not jackasses.

Most.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
OSXpert

Post by OSXpert »

#bringbackartfleming
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

OSXpert wrote:#bringbackartfleming
#bringbackinformationstoragelawsthatletCanadianstakethetest

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

dhkendall wrote:
OSXpert wrote:#bringbackartfleming
#bringbackinformationstoragelawsthatletCanadianstakethetest
If we do that, how are we going to make America great again?
rouquinne
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by rouquinne »

So, have I killed my chances by registering using the zip code of a friend's cottage in Michigan???

Damn! I *knew* I should've pulled at the coordinators' heart strings with the story about my 93-year-old grandmother always believing I'd make it on to the show!

She's going to be 96 next month; now I'm not even allowed to try out. Do I have to hope Nana holds on for another 3 years?

And if there are "legality changes" why are the Canadians already in the pool miraculously exempt from them? Sorry Andy and Dave.... but that makes NO sense whatsoever!

:(
caknuck
Jarlsberger

Post by caknuck »

rouquinne wrote:So, have I killed my chances by registering using the zip code of a friend's cottage in Michigan???

Damn! I *knew* I should've pulled at the coordinators' heart strings with the story about my 93-year-old grandmother always believing I'd make it on to the show!

She's going to be 96 next month; now I'm not even allowed to try out. Do I have to hope Nana holds on for another 3 years?

And if there are "legality changes" why are the Canadians already in the pool miraculously exempt from them? Sorry Andy and Dave.... but that makes NO sense whatsoever!

I'm guessing CTV will start airing Jeopardeh? in a year or two. (Starring Tino Monte, of course.)
@caknuck
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

No response to my written request for additional information....

rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

So.... as I posted elsewhere, I registered to write next week even though I live on this side of the 49th. I used the address of a friend's cottage in Michigan.

The question is: do I write and take a chance that I pass, get called for an audition and then blow my chances at ever again being allowed access to the sanctum sanctorum when I am discovered to be a *gasp* Canuck? Or do I behave myself and wait for Canadians be eligible once again?

dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rouquinne wrote:So.... as I posted elsewhere, I registered to write next week even though I live on this side of the 49th. I used the address of a friend's cottage in Michigan.

The question is: do I write and take a chance that I pass, get called for an audition and then blow my chances at ever again being allowed access to the sanctum sanctorum when I am discovered to be a *gasp* Canuck? Or do I behave myself and wait for Canadians be eligible once again?

Note: the following is merely an opinion from an uninformed schmuck who is not a lawyer, doesn't work for Jeopardy!, and doesn't understand the situation100% but loves to hear the sound of his own voice (or whatever the message board equivalent is)

My understanding is that it's keeping Canadian information secure from the test that's a problem, since you are supplying an American address they have no problems with those. If you get an audition (and I hope you do) the Canadian info on your paperwork shouldn't be a problem because it seems to be stored in a way that complies, as I was assured that Canadians in the pool like Andy and myself aren't affected. Plus, the legal situation may be resolved by then.

I say go for it.

(Btw, your wanting to "behave [yourself] and wait" really belies your nationality. ;) )

MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

rouquinne wrote:So.... as I posted elsewhere, I registered to write next week even though I live on this side of the 49th. I used the address of a friend's cottage in Michigan.

Are you going to keep this ruse up indefinitely, or are you going to tell them you faked your info if you get an audition?

Play fair. Sit this one out.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

^^^It would be difficult to keep up the ruse since I have been in the contestant pool before. I suspect Maggie would take one look at me and remember me from Toronto 3 years ago - I've heard she has a steel trap memory much like all the players/contestants/swimmers in the pool.

:?
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

rouquinne wrote:^^^It would be difficult to keep up the ruse since I have been in the contestant pool before. I suspect Maggie would take one look at me and remember me from Toronto 3 years ago - I've heard she has a steel trap memory much like all the players/contestants/swimmers in the pool.

:?
Your time will come. When I get on I will definitely put in a good word for you. (After all, with the low loonie, it'd be good to have more Canucks on.)

Golf

Post by Golf »

So because you simply don't like the posted rules, you're going to ignore them and supply false information? You'd fit right in here in the states, most everybody here thinks they can do whatever they want regardless of rules and laws.
GoodStrategy
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by GoodStrategy »

It probably depends on whether it's merely a technical issue (okay) or some legal regulation is involved (not okay) that an address in the States was used.
rouquinne

Post by rouquinne »

The exact wording given is:

"At this time we are precluded from accepting registration information from Canadian residents. We are currently evaluating this matter."

There is widespread speculation that this is due to the previous government's online privacy act, which, unfortunately, is still in effect. But it's also a patently false assertion.

All of us - no matter where we live - provide our registration information to Sony voluntarily.

Since I am an officer of the court in Canada, and I am sworn and bound to uphold the law, I will be a good citizen and abide by the rules, as much as I don't like them!