Tuesday, December 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by BobF »

Three pretty good players, impressive showing by the champ. I could see her being a TOC qualifier.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

9021amyers wrote:
MarkBarrett wrote: 25 = Adele: Be ready for that one on one of the Adult tests next month.
I've been thinking about buying a vinyl record player lately. When I go to Amazon to compare prices and features, the top "customers also bought" and "recommended with" item for whatever turntable I'm looking at is that forsaken Adele album. Every. Damn. Time.

I wish I could be less ready for that one.
A large number of Amazon users who buy physical music (as opposed to digital) have bought 25. Everyone who buys a turntable on Amazon also buys physical music.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks judge for the thumbs up on autobahn as I'm always glad to add 2400 to my Coryat.

Nothing against Amazon, but I'm glad triviawayne is not Santa. 25 is on my list to receive Friday, though from Target to get the exclusive CD with three extra songs.

In the category of impossible to avoid and also one that could be on the upcoming tests:

Quick, what is the name of the new Star Wars movie? The clock is counting down....

If you had to hesitate to recall The Force Awakens then it's obvious picking up current pop culture is not a strength.
lorimendenhall
Contributor

Post by lorimendenhall »

kept waiting for toll-road to be reversed. why wasn't it, because it's really two words or a hyphenated word? I think it's a better answer than "turnpike".

ps - I was supposed to take my son to the taping which was cancelled due to Alex's surgery. it was perfect timing because it was during a school break. it's cool to let your kid miss a day in school to attend a Jeopardy taping, right?
hbomb1947
Still hoping to get on Jeopardy! while my age is in double digits

Post by hbomb1947 »

lorimendenhall wrote:kept waiting for toll-road to be reversed. why wasn't it, because it's really two words or a hyphenated word? I think it's a better answer than "turnpike".
How is a response that doesn't fit the category (8-letter words) a "better answer"?
Follow me on twitter, even though I rarely tweet! https://twitter.com/hbomb_worldwide
lorimendenhall
Contributor

Post by lorimendenhall »

cause it's an 8 letter word... that you necessarily have to pay for. I guess I think of it as one word because we use the tollroad every day around here and refer to it as one word. whatever.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

lorimendenhall wrote:I guess I think of it as one word because we use the tollroad every day around here and refer to it as one word. whatever.
Just because you think of it as one word doesn't mean it is, though. :D
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I googled tollroad and every hit was an article or web site where it was two words.
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I hope Adele's next album is called "100".
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Not that I want to contribute to any conversation that runs too long, but:

"The old trapper had imposed on himself anything but an easy task in constructing his toll-road."
The Old Santa Fe Trail
Henry Inman
http://www.gutenberg.org/files/7984/7984-h/7984-h.htm
JonathanHenke
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by JonathanHenke »

mikebdoss wrote:That Adele question was the most "recent" I ever remember on the show. The relevant news came out on 11/28, and even assuming the show was taped the next weekday, that's just 22 days between the news happening and the show airing.
My game taped in November 2004 and had a whole category on the 2004 elections, which were just 6 days before the taping. (Including a bottom-row clue about a self-described "skinny kid with a funny name" who had just won his first national election, as senator from Illinois.)
Washed-up one-time Jeopardy! contestant
January 11, 2005
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

JonathanHenke wrote:
mikebdoss wrote:That Adele question was the most "recent" I ever remember on the show. The relevant news came out on 11/28, and even assuming the show was taped the next weekday, that's just 22 days between the news happening and the show airing.
My game taped in November 2004 and had a whole category on the 2004 elections, which were just 6 days before the taping. (Including a bottom-row clue about a self-described "skinny kid with a funny name" who had just won his first national election, as senator from Illinois.)
They could have made the clues harder by having the taping of these clues BEFORE the election (and the post-election viewing audience ragging on the contestants for not getting such easy clues)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

My fourth game had a clue about Boyhood winning Best Picture at the Golden Globes, which had happened about 14 hours earlier.
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

kristinsausville wrote:My fourth game had a clue about Boyhood winning Best Picture at the Golden Globes, which had happened about 14 hours earlier.
That beats the one I was thinking of,

http://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_ ... ght=pawnee

which if memory serves, taped the week after Parks and Rec debuted.
naurae29
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by naurae29 »

kristinsausville wrote:My fourth game had a clue about Boyhood winning Best Picture at the Golden Globes, which had happened about 14 hours earlier.
Holy smokes! That seems unfair!
Cat Hammarskjold
Feline Secretary-General

Post by Cat Hammarskjold »

Didn't the infamous David Brat/David Blatt thing happen right about the time that the episode that was the FJ for was taped?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Cat Hammarskjold wrote:Didn't the infamous David Brat/David Blatt thing happen right about the time that the episode that was the FJ for was taped?
The clue mentioned both events happened in June and the game aired October 2. Not sure when they start taping for a season.
davey

Post by davey »

naurae29 wrote:
"12 years in the making, this tale of growing up..." is how the clue begins. That's enough, since the movie had already received much acclaim and publicity. And Kristin got it.
kristinsausville
2015 TOC'er

Post by kristinsausville »

davey wrote:
naurae29 wrote:
"12 years in the making, this tale of growing up..." is how the clue begins. That's enough, since the movie had already received much acclaim and publicity. And Kristin got it.
It helped that I had watched the Golden Globes in my hotel room :D
Follow me on Twitter: @ksausville