Wednesday, December 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, December 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by Archivists »

Game Recap for Show #7198, 2015-12-23

WE ASKED: Misty Copeland.

CONTESTANTS
Chandreyi Ghosh, a housewife from Atlanta, Georgia
Joe Quackenbush, an attorney from Tampa, Florida
Theresa Tejada, a project coordinator from Allen Park, Michigan (whose 1-day cash winnings total $21,599)

OPENING REMARKS
Alex: Thank you, Johnny Gilbert. Hi, folks, and welcome again to our program. I have a friend in Canada who has today as his favorite day of the year--two days before Christmas--because today is the day he starts shopping. He likes to put extra pressure on himself. There's a lot of pressure on Theresa. She's the defending champion. Today she faces Joe and Chandreyi. And, Theresa, you get to pick first. So do that now for me, please, as we reveal these categories...

JEOPARDY! ROUND CATEGORIES
EDIBLE EXPRESSIONS (4/5)
TECH COMPANY NAMES (5/5, including 1 correct Daily Double)
AFRICAN-AMERICAN HISTORY (5/5)
IN RESIDENCE (4/5)
NHL TEAMS' HOME ICE (4/4)
FOUND IN GERMANY (5/5)

THE RIGHTS & THE WRONGS
Chandreyi: 12 R (including 1 rebound and 1 DD), 2 W
Joe: 8 R (including 1 rebound), 0 W
Theresa: 7 R (including 1 rebound), 1 W

Clues revealed: 29
Triple Stumpers: 2
Jeopardy! Round Potential Lach Trash: $1,600

SCORES AT THE FIRST BREAK
Chandreyi: $3,200
Joe: $2,000
Theresa: $1,000

CONTESTANT INTERVIEWS

Alex: Welcome back. A few moments ago in the found in Germany category, I thought that Chandreyi Ghosh felt particularly at ease with that subject matter, and it has to do with your parents, am I right?

Chandreyi: Yes, we lived in Germany for a while, and I very badly wanted to see America. They took me to the Black Forest Resort and then told me it was America. It was years before I realized I had been conned.

[Laughter]

Alex: Parents sometimes do that.

Alex: All right, Joe Quackenbush is an attorney from Tampa, Florida. You and your wife attended middle school together, right?

Joe: And high school.

Alex: And high school, but you didn't start dating at that time.

Joe: Yeah, it took, uh, 10 years after high school. She actually had a crush on me in 7th grade. Would go to, like, middle school basketball games just to watch me. I had a crush on her in 11th grade. We were in the same physics class, which she has no recollection of.

[Laughter]

Joe: It only took me 10 years to ask her out, so...

Alex: Obviously, it's worked.

Joe: Yes.

Alex: Okay.

Alex: Theresa Tejada. You have in your past a Latin teacher who had a great deal of influence on you.

Theresa: Yes, uh, my Latin teacher, Dr. Stephen Rosenquist, who recently just passed, um, he was a profound, um, influence on my life. He, um, went off on a lot of tangents that we, like, incited in the classroom, but it was something that was, um, really educational for us, too, that you can get wisdom and philosophy from a lot of different types of, um, conversations. And so he treated us like peers, which was really great. And he was a really entertaining teacher as well.

Alex: And as long as they foster an attitude of wanting to learn.

Theresa: Yes.

Alex: That is so very important.

Theresa: Yes.

JEOPARDY! ROUND DAILY DOUBLE
Chandreyi found the Daily Double on the 19th clue. Theresa had $1,000, Joe had $2,000, and Chandreyi was at $3,800. Chandreyi wagered $1,600.

TECH COMPANY NAMES $800: It got its name by removing the first 3 letters from the name of the horse that Bellerophon tried to fly to heaven

TRIPLE STUMPERS IN THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
EDIBLE EXPRESSIONS $600: This expression of contentment can be followed with "at high tide"

IN RESIDENCE $1000: The presidential retreat today known as Camp David was first named this by FDR after a James Hilton novel

SCORES AT THE END OF THE JEOPARDY! ROUND
Chandreyi: $8,600
Joe: $4,400
Theresa: $2,400
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Double Jeopardy! Round

Post by Archivists »

Placeholder for DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Final Jeopardy! Round

Post by theFJguy »

Baby Girls' Names

In 2014 it ws No. 1 in Sweden & thanks to an animated movie, in the top 300 for US baby girls for the first time in decades.
Spoiler
What is Elsa? Joe had Astrid.
Theresa Tejada: $5,600+$5,600=$11,200

Joe Quackenbush: $17,200-$10,000=$7,200

Chandreyi Ghosh: $25,200+$9,201=now a 1-day champion with $34,401
Last edited by theFJguy on Wed Dec 23, 2015 9:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MitchO

Re: Wednesday, December 23, 2015 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

Post by MitchO »

That was a SNL Celebrity Jeopardy level FJ.

I just missed a week of work for planar fasciitis. LAST WEEK. It is extremely painful.

Chandreyi deserved the win. I'm guessing she had a fair amount of her education outside of the U.S., so let the "other countries teach better" debates begin! ;)
Last edited by MitchO on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:30 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Alex should have told Chandreyi she needed to answer correctly upon finding the DD and asking for $1600.

She did damn well in the food sayings category considering she grew up in a non-English speaking country. Kudos.

A sports category left incomplete, shocker. Truly amazing how many contestants don't know the subject although Theresa seemed to have a decent grasp on the hockey arenas.

As usual, a contestant trying to be aggressive leaves money on the table on a make or break DD. And then follows it up with another thoughtless FJ wager.

Not that it mattered, Chandreyi played a great game from start to finish. Well done.

MitchO wrote:That was a SNL Celebrity Jeopardy level FJ.

I just missed a week of work for planar fasciitis. LAST WEEK. It is extremely painful.

Chandrey deserved the win. I'm guessing she had a fair amount of her education outside of the U.S., so let the "other countries teach better" debates begin! ;)
And for all those who haven't seen the 2014 movie? Guess we'll all have to start memorizing top baby names from other countries.

Let's not start a debate over a sample size of one person in one game.
Last edited by Golf on Wed Dec 23, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Golf wrote:A sports category left incomplete, shocker. Truly amazing how many contestants don't know the subject...
Didn't two contestants answer two questions each correctly? :roll:
Abraxas

Post by Abraxas »

Congrats to Chandreyi on her well-played game and win. I had 39 correct responses including five triple stumpers: Shangri-La, Goshen, gordian, angler, and melancholy. I also got FJ.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

"Manse" comes before "mansion" in the dictionary; would the judges have had to accept that?
MitchO

Post by MitchO »

Golf wrote:And for all those who haven't seen the 2014 movie? Guess we'll all have to start memorizing top baby names from other countries.
I've never seen the movie. I also haven't lived under a rock for the past 18 months.

The debate part was a joke.
silverscreentest
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by silverscreentest »

The clue asked for a novel written by James Hilton and the correct response was "What is Shangri-La?" But the novel was Lost Horizon where Shangri-La appears.
Silver Screen Test, my movie trivia game show. Watch some of the episodes On-Demand.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MitchO wrote:
Golf wrote:A sports category left incomplete, shocker.
I blame Joe, for abandoning the category and then not coming back to it until LTAM. I started rooting against him for that.
Fitting that he came in third, for that lousy FJ wager.
xxaaaxx

Post by xxaaaxx »

I wasn't sure what to make of them when Compleat Angler was a stand-and-stare when spotted the author, fishing, and 'Compleat', but Chandreyi played well. Good game. Other than leaving that hockey clue unplayed, which is unforgivable :lol:

Instaget FJ. OK J!, you've given us our Frozen FJ, can I forget about that accursed movie now? :evil:
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Golf wrote:She did damn well in the food sayings category considering she grew up in a non-English speaking country. Kudos.
You must have caught something I missed. I don't remember her saying which country she grew up in.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
9021amyers

Post by 9021amyers »

bpmod wrote:
Golf wrote:She did damn well in the food sayings category considering she grew up in a non-English speaking country. Kudos.
You must have caught something I missed. I don't remember her saying which country she grew up in.

Brian
Germany. Her parents took her to the Black Forest and said it was America; she didn't realize she was fooled for months.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

9021amyers wrote:
bpmod wrote:

Brian
Germany. Her parents took her to the Black Forest and said it was America; she didn't realize she was fooled for months.
Oh. I didn't hear her say she grew up there, only that she had gone there, which is not the same thing. She most certainly doesn't talk like she grew up in Germany.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

xxaaaxx wrote:I wasn't sure what to make of them when Compleat Angler was a stand-and-stare when spotted the author, fishing, and 'Compleat', but Chandreyi played well. Good game. Other than leaving that hockey clue unplayed, which is unforgivable :lol:

Instaget FJ. OK J!, you've given us our Frozen FJ, can I forget about that accursed movie now? :evil:
Dude...let it go
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Ran Edible Expressions.

Although I got the Lach Trash, I thought Compleat Angler was tough for the top box.

Goshen was another LT for me.

Only 0/5 was Residence. "Manor" is yet another one of those words that I kinda vaguely know, but don't know-know.

I use Skype daily and the clue sailed right over my head.

"Hmm, what was a recent popular animated movie? Brave? Crap, what was that girl in Brave? Kiara? No, it was something with an A in it though. Um, Tianna? Nope, that was The Princess and the Frog. Um... what was the girl in Inside Out? Never mind, that was this year, not 2014. Big Hero 6? Nope, I doubt Honey Lemon or GoGo have become popular names. Come on, this is so freaking obvious, Hammer. Think! You can do this, animation is your wheelhouse!" [bom bom] "Nope, still nothing. Go on, tell me, it's going to be painfully obvious... oohhhhhh, DUH." Seriously, how the HELL did my brain think of nearly every Disney movie but the right one?
thenextofken

Post by thenextofken »

I didn't hear her say she grew up there, only that she had gone there, which is not the same thing. She most certainly doesn't talk like she grew up in Germany.

Actually, what she said was that they lived there for awhile. Just how long that while was is anyone's guess.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $27,800
42 R/3 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: Instaget
LT: happy as a clam, Shangri-la, Gordian, Angler, Joy Division

Chandreyi's two early misses on American English-centric clues ("selling like hot potatoes" and "haunted house") made me think she might struggle throughout the game. Boy was I wrong.

Theresa looks like she could be Mo Rocca's little sister.
Golf wrote:And for all those who haven't seen the 2014 movie? Guess we'll all have to start memorizing top baby names from other countries.
Seriously? I'm not sure there has been a piece of popular culture that has been more ubiquitous over the past two years than Frozen.
Sprinkles are for winners.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

BigDaddyMatty wrote:Seriously? I'm not sure there has been a piece of popular culture that has been more ubiquitous over the past two years than Frozen.
I got as far as, "The girl from Frozen. No clue what her name is."